Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It won't solve the perma-crash after 100 hours of play thing in fallout 3 though

That only happened on PS3 and New Vegas and Skyrim suffer from the exact same issues so you can't single out Fallout 3 for that. It's because the saves get bloated and the really minuscule amounts of memory the PS3 has which causes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MisterBibs posted:

New Vegas got the scores it deserved, as did Fallout 3. Just because it was made by the folks that buried the series doesn't mean it's a better game.

JW is awesome and I can't think of any film this year that deserves the success it's getting more. (You're prolly going to say Mad Max, but I'd prefer movies with more dimension than a Fallout 1 sprite...)

I really liked Jurassic World and I loved Fury Road.
That's a pretty dumb thing to say, sorry you're too dumb to understand sub text even when it's being smacked in your face with a monkey wrench.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Jurassic World makes a lot more sense when you start to realize the main monster is the precursor to a Deathclaw and Jurassic 5 will literally be the beginning of a Fallout movie franchise featuring a cameo by hip-hop super group Jurassic 5.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That only happened on PS3 and New Vegas and Skyrim suffer from the exact same issues so you can't single out Fallout 3 for that. It's because the saves get bloated and the really minuscule amounts of memory the PS3 has which causes it.
I'm talking about a specific 16 million refid limit that PC players are subject to for Fallout 3, since that game does not bother to recycle temporary reference IDs for entities. Consoles will permacrash after 100 hours regardless, but New Vegas and Skyrim games can run 200+ hours on PC without problems other than quest whoopsies.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

frajaq posted:

I swear I will try something else in Fallout 4 that isn't a Stealth Sniper on my first run

You will try and then fail because stealth has been the only consistently fun way to play recent Bethesda games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I really liked sneaking around in Deus Ex 3, I remember the first time a dude did the turn-around-while-taking-a-few-steps-walking-backwards-along-his-route thing and I got caught I was hooked (though it is funny the AI was smart in that sense but could still be defeated by stacking boxes to block their line of sight).

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Flaky posted:

What is this guy's problem? There are plenty of trivial answers to his complaint, if only he would bother to continue his analysis past the totally superficial.

- What do they eat?

Uhhh, at least 3 of Moira's main quests (you know - pretty much the only NPC who actually gives you any significant number of quests in the whole drat game) are specifically designed to provide answers to this question. There is practically no crop production in the DC wasteland, because the water is radioactive. This is explicitly stated, just accept that much, please, seeing as you even admit in the article that you wont be holding radiation to realistic standards. It therefore makes no loving sense to have any living plants (or farms!:)) anywhere in DC. People eat by HUNTING, harvesting what little sustenance the wasteland can provide (brahmin, molerats, mirelurk eggs, DOGMEAT, bloatfly flesh, radroach meat, Iguana bits), or scavenging food left over from before the war and then doing their best to detoxify it (adding wonderglue, making mirelurk cakes, using the FOOD SANITIZER that Moira gives you, just taking lots of RadAway etc.). Explicit reference is made that almost everyone is dying of radiation sickness or starving to death or dying of thirst because of the inadequate food supply and improper processing. Nuka-cola (A DRINK) is practically the highest commodity. Wastelanders even (the horror!) revert to cannibalism (for which there are not one, but several PERKS). Supermutants eat EVERYTHING. Ghouls eat EVERYTHING. Wild Dogs eat EVERYTHING. Especially juicy Vault-dwellers. As if that wasn't enough, at least two FOODS evolved to absorb radiation (cave fungus, and the punga fruit). Not to mention SWEETCAKES. SHUT UP about the Mr. Handy - the player house is the one space in the game where explicit rules can be broken for the convenience of the player, ideally once they have finished the game.

So shut up with your idiotic question! Most of the few decent quests in the whole game are totally devoted to SURVIVING IN THE WASTLAND, primarily by teaching the player where and how to look for food. There is constant reference to food, indeed most of the creatures you kill will drop a type of food on their corpse. Just because you didn't eat it because ~Rads~ doesn't mean it isn't there. In fact it is quite refreshing having loot drops that are so worthless that you can leave them behind, because that minimises inventory bloat.

One decent loving quest in the whole game, most of it about FOOD, and this genius's main criticism is that it isn't made explicity clear enough what people eat? Especially when there isn't even a mechanic for HUNGER! FOr fucks sake why not ask the important question - like why there are no lasting visual indicators of radiation poisoning or other diseases/mutations on the player or NPCs - especially when so much effort went into allowing you to customise your character? Bethesda could surely have modified the ageing or ghoulification or raider-dirty-face system if they wanted to half-rear end it, as FWE did quite successfully. Wouldn't it be fun to try to maintain your character's appearance/health/status as non-ghoul by avoiding radiation? That could almost be type of reward...

That's without even thinking about how the idea of scarcity might be different in a world that had utopian technology even in the 50s (incidentally, this also answers the question of how the packaged food lasted so long - it ain't regular packaging) The whole premise of the entire series of Fallout games!!! is that the technology to effortlessly repopulate and provide for the entire world already exists!!! so there is still hope for the future however distant it may seem.

Incidentally, this is partly why NV is so infuriating - it misinterprets all of the many totally valid nods to continuity that were scattered around in F3, and hamfistedly turns the game into a Cowboy themed Sims-lite of pointless farming, crafting and gambling(???) without doing any of the legwork that would have been trivial to accomplish off the back of F3 (as evidenced by FWE).

How long did you spend formatting this worthless poo poo you stupid god drat retard

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
UGH. This stupid ASPERGER writer is So Stupid! I like to drink pee pee and

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm talking about a specific 16 million refid limit that PC players are subject to for Fallout 3, since that game does not bother to recycle temporary reference IDs for entities. Consoles will permacrash after 100 hours regardless, but New Vegas and Skyrim games can run 200+ hours on PC without problems other than quest whoopsies.

I can't see that really being a problem for Fallout 3,though I guess with a load of quest mods and stuff you could pad the playtime out to 100 hours.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

2house2fly posted:

I can't see that really being a problem for Fallout 3,though I guess with a load of quest mods and stuff you could pad the playtime out to 100 hours.
There's a mod called Martigan's Monster Mod...that ran like total poo poo but extended the lifetime of the game greatly because it didn't stop being funny seeing 4 uberbehemoths, 50 masters, 20 overlords spawn in the same place

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Cameron posted:

lol This loving guy

"I'm not going to pick apart the science of fallout"

"BUT WHERE DO THEY GET FOOD FROM??? MY HANDY HAS CONDENSERS"

Apparently this guy forgot he was playing a shoot a mans video game and not a thesis on living in a post nuclear society

good games can be both

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sir AIDS posted:

play games made by Bethesda

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cameron posted:

lol This loving guy

"I'm not going to pick apart the science of fallout"

"BUT WHERE DO THEY GET FOOD FROM??? MY HANDY HAS CONDENSERS"

Apparently this guy forgot he was playing a shoot a mans video game and not a thesis on living in a post nuclear society

I mean all he's trying to say is "Bethesda wrote a main plot and neglected to give its central premise any weight at all in the game" which is a True Thing. Not a thing everyone cares about but it's true.

To their credit I don't really know how you're gonna do that beyond having randoms complain about whatever radiation sickness based symptoms when you walk past and that would get old as quickly as MUD. CRABS. :byodood: did.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicAcne posted:

You will try and then fail because stealth has been the only consistently fun way to play recent Bethesda games.

melee is fun. so is a guns build. and energy weapons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Melee is fun when you're not dealing with enemies that are shooting at you from an upper floor, or areas where you have to shoot inanimate objects (Dead Money :argh:)

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Sneak everywhere forever all bethesda games for life.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Shugojin posted:

To their credit I don't really know how you're gonna do that beyond having randoms complain about whatever radiation sickness based symptoms when you walk past and that would get old as quickly as MUD. CRABS. :byodood: did.
How about something like Megaton's sherrif turning away people fleeing from supermutants because Megaton's ramshackle water processing plant can't handle more demand? Or how about a scene where a trader from Rivet City is charging a king's ransom for the higher quality food produced there?
I don't think it's that hard to come up with ideas for various small sidequests and vignettes that could have enforced the "Wasteland needs clean water" premise.

Also what would have helped is if Bethesda hadn't undermined said premise with pointless stuff like giving you a robot with your house that churns out clean water.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 14, 2015

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
It would have helped if bethesda was not consistently terrible at everything from making games to thinking to not being hitler

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Few more hours till Bethesda's pre-E3 show. 10:00 PM EST. I'm gonna watch it on Twitch. Looking forward to seeing what they've got so far.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Raygereio posted:

How about something like Megaton's sherrif turning away people fleeing from supermutants because Megaton's ramshackle water processing plant can't handle more demand? Or how about a scene where a trader from Rivet City is charging a king's ransom for the higher quality food produced there?
I don't think it's that hard to come up with ideas for various small sidequests and vignettes that could have enforced the "Wasteland needs clean water" premise.

Also what would have helped is if Bethesda hadn't undermined said premise with pointless stuff like giving you a robot with your house that churns out clean water.

You did see this in Broken Steel where Bethesda basically admitted the BoS likely would have no loving idea how to handle distributing the water between cultists grabbing most of the pura hand outs to irradiate, raider gangs attacking the caravans poorly protected by Rivet City guards and random events where some Megaton settlers try to attack said caravans for the rest of their cargo -- all the while still warring with the Enclave, but that's too little too late to fix the sense of urgency for the basic game up to that point.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

im ready for you you beautiful man

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'll be pretty happy if fallout 4 is to fallout 3 what skyrim is to oblivion.

As in, better graphics, better map, better combat, and better feel overall.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rabidredneck posted:

Few more hours till Bethesda's pre-E3 show. 10:00 PM EST. I'm gonna watch it on Twitch. Looking forward to seeing what they've got so far.

post a link when it's up would you.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

They've got a placeholder screen now, mainly just people babbling on the chat channel.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

OwlFancier posted:

I'll be pretty happy if fallout 4 is to fallout 3 what skyrim is to oblivion.

As in, better graphics, better map, better combat, and better feel overall.

Easy there, I'd say everything is only slightly better than Oblivion.
Graphics are a lot better, yes, but gamebryo's many ugly faces still rear themselves to the forefront at every turn.

I also didn't have much fun with the map itself, much too samey and that giant mountain is a bitch to go around.

The UI is also amazingly their worst attempt at a UI yet.

Combat is about the same too.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Bethesda is like that 14 year old dungeon master who based his dungeons and dragons campaign off of Lord of the Rings, but then also threw in some things from his favorite animes because "lol". There isn't a whole lot of thought into world building going on because he never really thought anyone would ask why his favorite animes are in there, but they just are. This is ok at first, but after being a 14 year old DM for over two decades, you should be getting better at it, and not staying as a 14 year old DM.

Grinning Goblin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 14, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I thought the dwarf robots were cool.

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011
Does anyone have the gif of Todd Howard staring longingly into Morgan Webb's tits?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Assist the people of Diamond City (0/5)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

PayingForTheView posted:

Does anyone have the gif of Todd Howard staring longingly into Morgan Webb's tits?
This one?

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011

It's similar, but it's just him literally staring at her tits and she looks kinda annoyed if i remember correctly.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

2house2fly posted:

I think that Shandification video would have been much better if the guy had used Chief Hanlon as an example. He's got his own little story of being a ranger and what that means to him, he's got some exposition for Caesar and the Legion, he's been affected terribly by the Mojave campaign and you can resolve his quest in a different way if you're at a certain point in the main quest, or if you've done another optional thing. He's not a part of the critical path but he can be a significant part of the Courier's story anyway, which is what all that "shandification" talk was actually supposed to be about.

Quantity is not quality!

The irony is that the Shandification video fundamentally confusing two different types of media. On one hand, you have the story... ie. something fixed that has a beginning and an end thought up by the writer for some reason important to them, and with a succession of points A-B-C-D that lead to the conclusion.

Games. Games are not like that. Games are about allowing the player to do whatever the gently caress they want, to the maximum of the games abilities. You buy an RPG because you think it will provide a good setting for you to do whatever you like, as represented by a random number of personalised numbers, 'stats' which allow you to interact with the world. The quality of the 'game' is representative of how well and consistently that system of numbers allows you to create your own story. Whether the game has a good story by default is irrelevant, because it is your story that is supposed to be the feature.

A developer needs to correctly judge the 'amount' of story to have in their game - in Fallout 3 it was minimal (a good thing because Bethesda can't write for poo poo). In NV it was a lot (a good thing for many, because the story was better, but for me it was bad, because I still thought it was poo poo, and moreover it increasingly interfered with my enjoyment of my own story, because of the imo stupid and incongruos setting.)

Flaky fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 15, 2015

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sir AIDS posted:

Hello and welcome to the thread forums poster Sir AIDS!!! Lets hope your next probation isn't a month long!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Flaky posted:

Games. Games are not like that. Games are about allowing the player to do whatever the gently caress they want, to the maximum of the games abilities.

This isn't actually true as a general statement, though. Some games are about that, but many are about other things. I'd go so far as to say that most RPGs are about you going through a mostly-linear story with occasional branches that mean more or less depending on the nature of the RPG. How much of a sandbox a game is is very much a variable, and a sandbox experience is something some players don't even want to have at all.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hey here's another thought. Stop complaining about the muted colour palette in Fallout games. There is a reason why Morrowind is renowned for being the brownest game in living memory, and also the best.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Flaky posted:

The irony is that the Shandification video fundamentally confusing two different types of media. On one hand, you have the story... ie. something fixed that has a beginning and a end thought up by the writer for some reason important to them, and with a succession of points A-B-C-D that lead to the conclusion.

Games. Games are not like that. Games are about allowing the player to do whatever the gently caress they want, to the maximum of the games abilities. You buy an RPG because you think it will provide a good setting for you to do whatever you like, as represented by a random number of personalised numbers, 'stats' which allow you to interact with the world. The quality of the 'game' is representative of how well and consistently that system of numbers allows you to create your own story. Whether the game has a good story by default is irrelevant, because it is your story that is supposed to be the feature.

A developer needs to correctly judge the 'amount' of story to have in their game - in Fallout 3 it was minimal (a good thing because Bethesda can't write for poo poo). In NV it was a lot (a good thing for many, because the story was better, but for me it was bad, because I still thought it was poo poo, and moreover it increasingly interfered with my enjoyment of my own story, because of the imo stupid and incongruos setting.

I think a game's story can enhance the player's experience by making it feel like they're making a difference in the world besides just solving a problem in a nearby village.

I feel that NV did this OK; you have some quests, like finishing My Kind of Town where it feels you're actually changing things. But, most of the quests don't really feel like things are changing; no matter what you do in Oh My Papa, the Khans still behave as they did before. The NCR doesn't give half a poo poo that you solved the water siphoning problem if you choose to tell the NCR that anderson has been siphoning their water. No matter how much you donate to the FotA, Mormon Fort is still the same. Killing Caesar, the head of one of the two big factions in the game, adds an extra bit of dialogue to faceless NPCs and gives you an extra option to complete Return to Sender, which is a bit disappointing.

Yes, I know the game has ending slides that tell you the aftermath of certain quests, but for the most part, it feels that the game world feels static and that everything suddenly changes only when the ending slides play. People like to see results now, not during a giant infodump at the end of the game.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

closeted republican posted:

I think a game's story can enhance the player's experience by making it feel like they're making a difference in the world besides just solving a problem in a nearby village.

The problem here is no-one wants to make a difference to the dogshit cliche ridden worlds that Bethesda/Obsidian actually write! This is why this level of spergy completionist fandom and faux-analysis so completely tragic.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 15, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Another thing on my wishlist: please Bethesda gently caress off with the Karma system forever, thanks

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Flaky posted:

The problem here is no-one wants to make a difference to the dogshit cliche ridden worlds that Bethesda/Obsidian actually write! This is why this level of spergy completionist fandom and faux-analysis so completely tragic.

I love the Fallout world, but I'm not going to sperg out and try to explain every minute detail because at the end of the day, it's a fantasy land that's a mixture of post-apoc cliches, the 50s, and some Warhammer 40k (Power Armor, Super Mutants being Orcs with the serial number filed off). I like the universe because it's a fun place to blast some dudes while exploring old buildings, being a funny dick via dialogue trees, becoming a physical god, and has a cool art style, not because it's a well-written world that rivals good novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Percentage of people who actually completed universally acclaimed Bethesda RPG TESIII Morrowind - approximately poo poo all.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 15, 2015

• Locked thread