Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like there's no way he could actually win with that strategy, though; he still wouldn't be able to serve people faster than Kuga.

I think that stealing customers from his rival's super long line with good smelling and tasting food can work, provided he's charging much more per dish. People in line and in the area already want Chinese food for sure, so he'll have the traffic there and presumably will be able to be cooking dishes literally every minute humanly possible. Then it comes down to trying to match the cooking speed of his opponent, and given how many people will be there I think matching 25% of their output is an optimistic estimate, but if he charges 5x as much he'd still do more business.

If they're competing solely on profit, Soma does have the big advantage of not having to use a lot of equipment or pay for a lot of help. Of course, since the Elite Ten have infinite budgets for whatever they want and equipment/student labor may be free, that might not be a factor at all.

I was positive he was going to choose the upper area though and go for super elite expensive food though, so I've just been way off throughout. Even with this plan he's probably going to go with something super quick and tasty and try to win with cheap fast food Chinese. We'll see how it all shakes down I guess, I have to imagine even if he doesn't beat the 8th seat he's going to put some fear into the Elite 10. I'm also awaiting the big payoff to him getting the huge Elite 10 budget and using it to try an absurd amount of Squid and Peanut Butter-level gross dishes, hoping to finally hit on the weird combo that's actually tastes amazingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like there's no way he could actually win with that strategy, though; he still wouldn't be able to serve people faster than Kuga.

It depends how you define winning. Kuga's profit line is probably dramatically higher than Soma's given that he has a hundred employees.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They're members of his club though, rather than employees, does he even have to pay them? I would think that food costs and whatever it takes to construct the stand would be the only expenses.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Soma is going to lose and be expelled and he'll have to win even more outrageous shokugekis in the underground arena where life is cheap.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, the more I think about it the most likely outcome seems to be that Soma has more than enough earnings to be profitable and to beat #8 if he had to pay his club members even minimum wage for their time, but since they help for free and that help/labor isn't counted as an expense in the festival's rules, he'll still lose on a technicality. It'll be enough to get him properly noticed by the Elite 10 though, and lead to him competing with a different member in another non-shokugeki competition. I feel like the girl who wants to make gross food is solely there to have a gross/strange food competition with Soma.

Based on my understanding, an Elite 10 member very likely has to put their seat on the line in a Shokugeki, it may even be absolutely necessary. With that in mind, I can see why none of them want to compete with non Elite-10 members, since if you're out of the 10 then you lose a LOT of benefits and social standing, but if #9 beats #5 then they might swap seats but both still have access to amazing perks. They probably fight one another all the time, but someone outside of the 10 has to really piss them off or impress them for them to take on a challenge. They're all great chefs, but with so much to lose I'd expect them not to want to take the risk for no reason. I do think that once Soma works his way up to a Shokugeki with any Elite 10 member below the top 5 he's going to beat them on the first try and take their seat, and that's when the real fireworks will start.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Blhue posted:

They're members of his club though, rather than employees, does he even have to pay them? I would think that food costs and whatever it takes to construct the stand would be the only expenses.

He called them employees every time. Sounds like the school doesn't give you credit for free labor.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it the most likely outcome seems to be that Soma has more than enough earnings to be profitable and to beat #8 if he had to pay his club members even minimum wage for their time, but since they help for free and that help/labor isn't counted as an expense in the festival's rules, he'll still lose on a technicality. It'll be enough to get him properly noticed by the Elite 10 though, and lead to him competing with a different member in another non-shokugeki competition. I feel like the girl who wants to make gross food is solely there to have a gross/strange food competition with Soma.

Based on my understanding, an Elite 10 member very likely has to put their seat on the line in a Shokugeki, it may even be absolutely necessary. With that in mind, I can see why none of them want to compete with non Elite-10 members, since if you're out of the 10 then you lose a LOT of benefits and social standing, but if #9 beats #5 then they might swap seats but both still have access to amazing perks. They probably fight one another all the time, but someone outside of the 10 has to really piss them off or impress them for them to take on a challenge. They're all great chefs, but with so much to lose I'd expect them not to want to take the risk for no reason. I do think that once Soma works his way up to a Shokugeki with any Elite 10 member below the top 5 he's going to beat them on the first try and take their seat, and that's when the real fireworks will start.

I'm guessing that when an Elite 10 member bets their seat, the person who removed them doesn't just get the seat, the E10 member just loses it. There's probably then some other ridiculous procedure beyond that.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 10, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Soma is never going to "beat" yugioh by outselling him, he's just going to succeed by not getting expelled and putting out great food that people will talk about in the same sentence as a world renowned expert in the cuisine, proving that he can compete at the same level as someone in the elite 10.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Prediction: Souma will come up just barely short of breaking even, and will be saved by someone showing up unexpectedly to buy some food from his stall.

Maybe Erina's the one who will save him, in a "I'm doing it only so you don't get expelled before I get the chance to crush you" tsundere way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

pentyne posted:

Soma is never going to "beat" yugioh by outselling him, he's just going to succeed by not getting expelled and putting out great food that people will talk about in the same sentence as a world renowned expert in the cuisine, proving that he can compete at the same level as someone in the elite 10.

He's not going to get a match with Yugioh if he only proves he can compete with him, he needs to surpass him in any one aspect. My guess is he's going to make more of a profit percentage wise, because while Kuga will definitely get far more customers and make far more money, Soma will manage to do extremely well on like a $100 budget or something and get better 'profits' than him on a technicality.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

pentyne posted:

Having Soma barely avoid failure doesn't add anything to the manga's plot other than prove the Elite 10 is good and Soma sucks. There's no reason the author would make another arc of Soma sucking.

As much as I enjoy calling him "Gary Stew," he actually does fail quite a bit, he just recovers because the manga forces him to (since you get expelled for everything).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 10, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well part of his character schtick is that he's a weirdo that doesn't get demoralized by failure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kyte posted:

Well part of his character schtick is that he's a weirdo that doesn't get demoralized by failure.

I would be extremely surprised if he doesn't do well. I don't know that I would expect him to just beat Yugioh or anything, but I wouldn't expect that him being expelled is more than a cliffhanger threat for like a chapter or two before he kicks it into higher gear.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm guessing that when an Elite 10 member bets their seat, the person who removed them doesn't just get the seat, the E10 member just loses it. There's probably then some other ridiculous procedure beyond that.

I disagree, the whole cooking school's mentality is based on the strong replacing the weak.If someone graduates from the school as an E10 member they probably hold a tournament or other special event to fill the vacancy, but if you bet the seat and lose I can just about guarantee the guy or girl who beat you takes your seat. Or to really overthink it, everyone below that seat moves up one rank and the new member joins as the new #10.

To think of it another way, if you're on a baseball team as a bench player and start batting insanely well when you're filling in, you're probably going to either take a guy's spot on the starting roster or begin filling in much more frequently. It'd be pretty silly if you were to be performing really well in direct competition with someone and it resulted in your competitor losing ground while you gained nothing.

It's also been awhile since we've seen a proper Shokugeki, if you don't count the fall tournament, so it's easy to forget how high stakes they are. You can seize club rooms, be expelled, basically you can make all kinds of crazy gambles. An E10 spot risked against someone's expulsion or humiliation is totally something I can see happening.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Didn't the dorm matron say something about Souma's dad making weird dishes for shokugeki and end up losing many times? And he's still the second seat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Didn't the dorm matron say something about Souma's dad making weird dishes for shokugeki and end up losing many times? And he's still the second seat.

If he's anything like Soma then he won't actually use those experiments for anything actually important. Sure there are probably some shokugeki's you can afford to lose, Soma's first one after Stagiare week was just for a recipe, but for something important like a seat in the Elite 10 I doubt the challenger's going to get away with betting something useless.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Oops for some reason my mind registered the discussion as "if an elite 10 loses a shokugeki they lose the seat". Nevermind :sweatdrop:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I disagree, the whole cooking school's mentality is based on the strong replacing the weak.If someone graduates from the school as an E10 member they probably hold a tournament or other special event to fill the vacancy, but if you bet the seat and lose I can just about guarantee the guy or girl who beat you takes your seat. Or to really overthink it, everyone below that seat moves up one rank and the new member joins as the new #10.

To think of it another way, if you're on a baseball team as a bench player and start batting insanely well when you're filling in, you're probably going to either take a guy's spot on the starting roster or begin filling in much more frequently. It'd be pretty silly if you were to be performing really well in direct competition with someone and it resulted in your competitor losing ground while you gained nothing.

It's also been awhile since we've seen a proper Shokugeki, if you don't count the fall tournament, so it's easy to forget how high stakes they are. You can seize club rooms, be expelled, basically you can make all kinds of crazy gambles. An E10 spot risked against someone's expulsion or humiliation is totally something I can see happening.

The second one is actually what I was thinking. The reason I thought that might be the case is because it keeps a pretty normal progression without forcing Soma to fight Erina directly. I also expect other members of Soma's class to make their way on there, including Tadokoro.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

The second one is actually what I was thinking. The reason I thought that might be the case is because it keeps a pretty normal progression without forcing Soma to fight Erina directly. I also expect other members of Soma's class to make their way on there, including Tadokoro.

They can still pass up Erina by having her take a higher seat.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
CABBAGE MAGIC!

God I love this series. That might actually have been better than the manga version and I dont' say that lightly.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
The anime is really top notch so far.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
God I can't wait for the Cabbage Pink cosplays.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nothing makes me laugh harder more consistently than the japanese trying to say 'cabbage'

and boy oh loving boy did this episode have a lot of cabbage

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIU86eLUVXQ

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

:vince:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

:allears:

(It's even better given that Dojima's VA also does DIO.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 7, 2016

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That is the best out of context screencap I've seen yet.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I take it I need to start watching the anime now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You should, it's a lot of fun and really brings the manga to life.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You might as well just start at the cooking camp, because much like the manga that's when it starts getting really good.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I just started the anime and I was pretty impressed. Soma's voice actor is pretty good and not at all the generic "pre-teen boy" voice I thought they'd stick him with.

Erina's VA sounded good right up until she went full tsundere, though that's not the voice actor's fault.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chapter 122 released: http://www.readmanga.today/shokugeki-no-soma/122/all-pages

Its pretty funny that Erina is finally starting to chill out because Hisako's newfound normal-person temperament is rubbing off on her.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I just started the anime and I was pretty impressed. Soma's voice actor is pretty good and not at all the generic "pre-teen boy" voice I thought they'd stick him with.

Erina's VA sounded good right up until she went full tsundere, though that's not the voice actor's fault.

Soma's anime voice is Kirito from SAO doing the Kirito voice. It's also Bell Cranel from Danmachi - that show is airing the same day as Shokugeki, which makes it weird if you watch them at the same time (they release the same day).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 14, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alice is a treasure :allears:
That girl is just so happy and enthusiastic all the time :allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Side note: Tadokoro is the best sidekick :3:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Alice and Megumi are so great. :allears:

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
I kinda like where they're going with this - if Souma decides to tackle the problem from a different direction, than branching out to all the other forms of Chinese cuisine is going to be a lot of fun.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Maybe he'll make Americanized Chinese food :unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
"Please be ashamed of your ignorance!" :allears: Good luck with that.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Chill brings a stinging pain to the tongue called [hot taste].

These translators are super bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Maybe he'll make Americanized Chinese food :unsmigghh:

Considering his stuff at Shinomiya's Soma's specialty might be doing Japanese cooking techniques or styles for foreign food. So if anything he might make Japanized Chinese food, which would be interesting I suppose since i've got absolutely no idea what that would be like.

Also, with Alice entering the fray I am suddenly really looking forward to this next arc. Even the fact that it will likely involve Erina a bunch doesn't seem like a problem since Arato's development appears to have a caused a chain-reaction and made Erina drop a lot of the stuff that made her annoying. I was hoping for Megumi to be in the polar star store and be the main focus of it though, but hopefully she'll get some good focus this arc anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

My guess is that Megumi will be instrumental in Soma's success, since her 'hospitality' is directly opposite of Kuga's cooking, which basically turns people who eat it into masochists. If they make something along the lines of 'food that soothes you', it can definitely sell next to Kuga's super-spicy food stall, thus turning around their disadvantage.

Though I suppose that wouldn't actually be competing with Kuga, in fact they would be complementing his stall. Still, Megumi's 'hospitality' will probably play a part somehow.