Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Zeron posted:

I had trouble turning trade to my advantage in my England game, because literally everything already flows straight to you. I would keep looking around and around for some trade to redirect only to find that they all came to me in the end regardless. English Channel is a bit overpowered as a trade node.

To be fair if you did control the entire English Channel node in real life you would control a crazy amount of super high value coastline and pretty much all of the shipping to the north half of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What's a good nation to start as to play around with Common Sense? I'm a bit tired of war, so something where I can mostly focus on other elements would be nice (but it's EU so of course there'll be war).

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Eimi posted:

Huh, its nearly 1600 and I'm still at 0 after a large war with the Ottomons. Do you just spam barracks everywhere? I've only been building them when they give me 500~ manpower or more. Also did you go Quantity? I went Defensive for my first mil idea.

Same like before the patch but if you rely on mercenary infantry for at least half your total infantry, you'll be in much better shape. In my Milan game I have both economic and administrative so I just went all mercenaries for infantry. In my entire game, which is up to the early 1700s, I've only once faced a possible manpower crisis and I've been picking fights with France, Austria, Spain, Britain, etc almost constantly.

I only have around 110k manpower and 120ish force limit, and that one "crisis" was when literally all of Europe from Portugal to Russia joined a coalition against me then shortly after declared war. So I think I had around 140k troops vs ~600k. At the end of the war (which I won) I dropped to 56k manpower. That took a long time playing at 2 speed and trying to trap the AI armies on the right terrain along with flat out wiping two of my 20k squads through some mistakes. Overall I think most people with manpower trouble don't use enough mercenaries and don't fight battles on favored terrain. Also always take quantity, even as Russia or The Ottomans.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

The saddest, most ineffective HRE

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Colonial Air Force posted:

What's a good nation to start as to play around with Common Sense? I'm a bit tired of war, so something where I can mostly focus on other elements would be nice (but it's EU so of course there'll be war).

I've been having fun building a Westphalian trade empire as the Hansa. Your starting cities are all really built up and you have plenty of OPMs to beat up if you really have to. Plus you can play Denmark and Sweden against each other and you're in an okayish spot for colonizing North America.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The saddest, most ineffective HRE

:allears:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It is insane to me that Kongo has been the emperor for seventy years and counting. It's like the electors just hate everyone inside the empire so much that they just randomly choose someone else in the world to rule. After less than two decades of sharing it with France and Sweden they decided to just throw the title away to 'Kongo'. Like how would this ever even work, how would the princes agree to pay their taxes and men to this ""Kongo"". No one has even seen this Kongo because there has certainly been no one coming to protect the empire from foreign invaders. Where did all those tax and troops sent to the emperor even go. There hasn't even been any evidence that Kongo even exists since the only time someone from Kongo supposedly stepped foot on this land was for the coronation ceremony, which happened to be a closed-ceremony in...... Frankfurt, oh. . .

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I know when to build a workshop vs a temple?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Never seen Copts this successful before. No player interference.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Baron Porkface posted:

if you use the macrobuild interface it tells you exactly how much each one will make you. personally i'd make workshops upstream with temples in your core, unless it's a valuable trade good.

alternatively, both

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Baron Porkface posted:

Look at the monthly increase in income it gives you. Take the cost it takes to build it and divide it by the increase. That's the amount of time it will take to pay for itself.

As a general rule though, put temples in places with high basetax and workshops in places with either high production or valuable trade goods.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
If I use the Enforce Religion option on one of my vassals, will the 50% liberty desire gained start to decay over time? Or do I have to take specific actions to reduce it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Baron Porkface posted:

I've been building temples when it says it will give .13 or more monthly, and about the same for a workshop. For manufactories I do .4. No idea if this is optimal but it's seemed to work out okay, I have solid income.

The enforce vassal religion will decay over time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I control 100% of the provinces in an inland node, have invested tons of dip points in those provinces, chase mercantalism like my life depends on it, and still only have like 40% trade power in the node because every stupid minor country gets some huge 50 point caravan bonus. It's so easy to get 90%+ on a coastal node but I always have tons of trouble with inland nodes because every OPM with a merchant gets a massive 50 points and they all add up to steal my precious trade ducats.

Is there anything I'm missing?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

THE BAR posted:

The emperor gets to bring in all his allies, but not every member of the HRE, besides who's mentioned in the war declaration menu.

Right after I got the coring cost reduction from the national ideas and the administrative ideas, this happened. Was able to gobble up Genoa's Crimean holdings and the one island province off of Anatolia. Things are going much better now except after my excellent king and his excellent heir died I've gotten really poo poo rulers and am limited on monarch points because of that.

One weird thing I've noticed (and I"m assuming this is a bug) is that upon starting the game I had revealed all of the territory that South American tech can see. Maybe it's some weird thing to do with turning on random new world.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tendronai posted:

Who was the Emperor? Austria's still free and I don't think I've ever seen anyone else pass all the reforms.

Bohemia (though Austria passed the first few). That particular emperor makes for some pretty crazy culture acceptance --- they get West Slavic as a
native culture group, but also get basically all the Germans for being HRE.

zedprime posted:

Assuming I am the odd one out and the thread generally plays with lucky nations, all these awesome maps lead me to a nearly baseless theory that maybe all these new systems in the expansion slightly reduce the impact of lucky nation modifiers because a lot of these look like the sort of sillyness I had come to expect from lucky nations turned off.

No lucky nations for me, either.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bohemia tends to nab the Emperor spot from Austria and never let go, from what I've been seeing.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Koramei posted:

if you use the macrobuild interface it tells you exactly how much each one will make you. personally i'd make workshops upstream with temples in your core, unless it's a valuable trade good.

alternatively, both

Do workshops affect trade?

Is there an easy way to figure out when a manufactory will pay off?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 15, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've been having fun building a Westphalian trade empire as the Hansa. Your starting cities are all really built up and you have plenty of OPMs to beat up if you really have to. Plus you can play Denmark and Sweden against each other and you're in an okayish spot for colonizing North America.

Yeah that could be fun. Thanks!

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It is insane to me that Kongo has been the emperor for seventy years and counting. It's like the electors just hate everyone inside the empire so much that they just randomly choose someone else in the world to rule. After less than two decades of sharing it with France and Sweden they decided to just throw the title away to 'Kongo'. Like how would this ever even work, how would the princes agree to pay their taxes and men to this ""Kongo"". No one has even seen this Kongo because there has certainly been no one coming to protect the empire from foreign invaders. Where did all those tax and troops sent to the emperor even go. There hasn't even been any evidence that Kongo even exists since the only time someone from Kongo supposedly stepped foot on this land was for the coronation ceremony, which happened to be a closed-ceremony in...... Frankfurt, oh. . .

It'd be funny if they pulled in a random black dude in ,assumed he was the king of Kongo, and crowned him Emperor.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

The base value of the trade generated in a node comes from production, so if you example you control 90% of an end node (optimistic!) then build a manufactury or workshop in a province that is within said node you would get the money from the productivity then 90 percent again on top from collected trade.

Manufacturies in decent production provinces where you also control the trade can pay themselves off within 70 or 80 years.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Colonial Air Force posted:

England would be good-- they have an English monarchy government so you can start playing around with that right away, they have the advantage over France right now (and you don't start out in the HYW anymore so you can keep France at arm's length if you want), and even if meddling in continental affairs blows up in your face you can hide on Great Britain. This means you have a lot of freedom to fully engage with trade, colonization, the new development system, etc. without your entire country burning down without warning.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Is there any reason to form the PLC immediately versus continuing to feed Lithuania provinces?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Patrat posted:

The base value of the trade generated in a node comes from production, so if you example you control 90% of an end node (optimistic!) then build a manufactury or workshop in a province that is within said node you would get the money from the productivity then 90 percent again on top from collected trade.

Manufacturies in decent production provinces where you also control the trade can pay themselves off within 70 or 80 years.

Workshops don't increase trade value. Trade value is based on the value of the trade good times the amount produced. Workshops don't increase the amount of goods produced, they increase production efficiency, so you earn more money off the same amount of goods.

It's manufactories that let you double dip by increasing goods produced. Which synergize nicely with the efficiencie bonus from wokshops.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Is there any reason to form the PLC immediately versus continuing to feed Lithuania provinces?

You get cores on all of Lithuania's land for free when you push the button, so by feeding them you push off loads of coring and rebel costs on to them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Baron Porkface posted:

They won't increase trade power, but they will increase production value.

Manufactories are great, they add more trade goods to a node which in turn increases the value of the node.

The nice thing about production is you make money on it straight off, and then you get to make money on it a second time through trade. If you've got 70% trade power in the node that the trade good is produced (and you're collecting there) you get it's value again in trade at 70%.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Do you lose free city status if you end up as a republican dictatorship?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm playing a little custom country that has basicaly all of the english channel trade node. I have English, Dutch, French and a few others as accepted cultures and everyone is happy. For some reason some insane dutch people have this idea of a "netherlands" and raise massive stack after stack of rebels. Do they eventually give up after a certain date? Am I going to have to move my capital to Holland or something to get them to stop?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

DeeEmTee posted:

Do you lose free city status if you end up as a republican dictatorship?

Free City is a government type, so I'd assume anything that changes your government would also make you lose the emperor's protection.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

You get cores on all of Lithuania's land for free when you push the button, so by feeding them you push off loads of coring and rebel costs on to them.

Even stuff they have uncored? Like can I feed them over 100% OE and then instantly hit the button and get free cores?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If I form Westphalia from the Hansa do I lose my Hansa ideas?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Even stuff they have uncored? Like can I feed them over 100% OE and then instantly hit the button and get free cores?

That I am unsure of.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm playing a little custom country that has basicaly all of the english channel trade node. I have English, Dutch, French and a few others as accepted cultures and everyone is happy. For some reason some insane dutch people have this idea of a "netherlands" and raise massive stack after stack of rebels. Do they eventually give up after a certain date? Am I going to have to move my capital to Holland or something to get them to stop?

Last patch, culture converting them to something else helped

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

You only get cores if they have cores. I think it used to be different but I tried it a couple days ago and that's how it is

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Baronjutter posted:

The event can only can only fire once per provenance, It fires if own dutch land but don't have dutch as your primary culture. Yea its a little silly that it doesn't care your accepted culture or not.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Yashichi posted:

What's the warscore cost of the religious league peace? I'm putting off starting the war since getting 100% would be a nightmare but I could probably blitz an early 40 much more easily

I think the warscore cost is only like 50 or so, but there's a massive bonus to War Enthusiasm for the Religious League war. So you can't blitz it pretty much no matter what.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

If I use the Enforce Religion option on one of my vassals, will the 50% liberty desire gained start to decay over time? Or do I have to take specific actions to reduce it?

It drops like 1% per year or so I think.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

nope, gotta wait for their cores, also never give a vassal or PU partner over 100% overextension, especially not one as bad with rebs as Lithuania, they will explode

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Another Person posted:

nope, gotta wait for their cores, also never give a vassal or PU partner over 100% overextension, especially not one as bad with rebs as Lithuania, they will explode

Having previously played whack-a-rebel in Lithuania yes this is bad. Also, you should wait to hit the button until you have all your ideas done as Poland's final national idea gives +3 tolerance to heretics and Lithuania is filled with Orthodox provinces. Religious civil war is almost guaranteed to fire.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm colonizing the new world but I'm getting this treaty of Tostitos scoops giving me -20 to growth. Is there any warning to this or a way to see which regions are already claimed by which powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm colonizing the new world but I'm getting this treaty of Tostitos scoops giving me -20 to growth. Is there any warning to this or a way to see which regions are already claimed by which powers?

First Catholic state to form a CN in a given region claims it.

• Locked thread