Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would love to know the PUE on these bitcoin mining centers. I have the pleasure of working in a data center without exposed bus bars and ducts. The one pictured seems like it has limited to no air flow containment, I doubt it is very efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Three-Phase posted:

One of the things here - if you were using a real piece of switchgear instead of this cobbled-together (but arguably clean) approach of having the breakers and busbars on a metal frame, you'd probably have better bracing of the busbars themselves.

When you buy a piece of switchgear, it usually has a maximum fault current rating. Like 100,000 amps. What that means is when you have a short circuit somewhere, as long as (for a short duration) you have under 100,000 amps flowing into the fault, the gear will physically keep itself together. The stresses there aren't from heat - it's from the massive magnetic fields that can be generated during the fault - fields that can tear apart equipment, warp busbars, etceteras. The busses and cables have to be secured to handle the forces from these faults.

Purpose-built, properly engineered equipment, is designed to withstand the magnetic forces during a fault. They are specified based in part off the power supply - how much power in can send into a "bolted fault" (like a metal rod falling between two phases - a fault with very low impedance and extremely high current flow.)

Equipment that is just thrown together may not be able to handle a fault should it occur. However, it is arguably orders of magnitude cheaper in a place where human life is far, far cheaper.

(Circuit breakers themselves are similar - they have a maximum interruption rating, say 10,000 amps for a tiny 20A breaker. If the source can pump out more than the interruption rating of the breaker in a fault, the breaker may fail catastrophically when trying to interrupt the fault.)

TL;DR VERSION: Just watch this. Like that, but with the metal busbars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dckmSgp1nw

So in conclusion I should change every circuit breaker I have to a Current Limiting Class J Time Delay Fuse? And never buy a more expensive current limiting circuit breaker because it makes no real difference?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

simplefish posted:

So in conclusion I should change every circuit breaker I have to a Current Limiting Class J Time Delay Fuse? And never buy a more expensive current limiting circuit breaker because it makes no real difference?

If you're working with thousands of amps, maybe. Doesn't matter much for household current, since you'll never see more than a few hundred amps, which residential circuit breakers can handle without a problem. The distribution transformers have their own internal fuses in case of a short in the primary.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

simplefish posted:

You should evaluate (yourself or professionally) the maximum potential current that could flow through certain systems and determine if a system that can be reset with the flick of a switch or only with the replacement of a fuse is right for you.

Hint: If you have circuit breakers and you follow "lock out, tag out" style procedures you're so so so much more safe than most other systems.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Maxwells Demon posted:

You should evaluate (yourself or professionally) the maximum potential current that could flow through certain systems and determine if a system that can be reset with the flick of a switch or only with the replacement of a fuse is right for you.

Hint: If you have circuit breakers and you follow "lock out, tag out" style procedures you're so so so much more safe than most other systems.

Is there any system out there which is set up to allow you take the fuses out of the circuit as easily as you would flip off a circuitbreaker and is set up for lock out and tag out?

Surely that must be reasonably easy to set up?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Munin posted:

Is there any system out there which is set up to allow you take the fuses out of the circuit as easily as you would flip off a circuitbreaker and is set up for lock out and tag out?

Surely that must be reasonably easy to set up?
It becomes an administrative tag out instead of a mechanical lockout in some cases, which depending on the health of your loto culture may be scary because anyone can grab a fuse and stick it in in spite of tags.

Outside of some retarded distributed designs its almost always going to be at a switchbox so a common practice is to pull the fuse and lock the switch, which on most boxes locks access to the fuse housing too.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Three-Phase posted:

TL;DR VERSION: Just watch this. Like that, but with the metal busbars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dckmSgp1nw

2:14 whoah

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

flosofl posted:

Every time I see this I'm always amazed at how quickly that driver manages to move his rear end out of the tow truck.

Probably didn't have there seat belt on. Seat belts cost lives people!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Probably didn't have there seat belt on. Seat belts cost lives people!

Right, he probably didn't because he was towing a semi and trailer on a snowed to hell road. There was a non-zero chance of exactly what happened happening, chances are he was puckered up the whole time and ready to bail from the truck if so much as a hair on his arm twitched. The way that sucker rolled on its way down I'd bet he was done for if he rode it down, belted in or not.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 13, 2015

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
IIRC there was someone in either the passenger seat or in the vehicle he was towing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dillbag posted:

IIRC there was someone in either the passenger seat or in the vehicle he was towing.

lol he left them to die

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

So that's how it's done? At least the tree didn't hit the house. My neighbors have a huge tree lurching over our row houses with only space enough for a ladder. I wish them luck with that (don't really care since I rent).
This thread is so GBS 1.0: bouncing from industrial engineering seminars to Say Nothing's disasters on parade. Love it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Angela Christine posted:

lol he left them to die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEzABU5LnjE

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

lol he left them to die

Well, hes not exactly superman or anything. What could he have done?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Angela Christine posted:

lol he left them to die

"The driver of the lorry also managed to survive his vehicle's fall and is in a stable condition."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

fatman1683 posted:

If you're working with thousands of amps, maybe. Doesn't matter much for household current, since you'll never see more than a few hundred amps, which residential circuit breakers can handle without a problem.

Unless they're Stab-Lok breakers.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

nononononononononononononoNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This guy lost his face in an electrical accident. He's blessed to be blind. And he's getting a face transplant.

warning, gruesome even though it's all healed up:
:stare: https://youtu.be/b7Lg_mNM4bQ :stare:

It's an ABC interview, but Jesus

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

This guy lost his face in an electrical accident. He's blessed to be blind. And he's getting a face transplant.

warning, gruesome even though it's all healed up:
:stare: https://youtu.be/b7Lg_mNM4bQ :stare:

It's an ABC interview, but Jesus

Long time ago, he's got his face now and has for many years. It's kind of amazing what medical technology can do these days. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Wiens May 2011, he received his face.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I feel terrible but I can't help but laugh, dude looked like a muppet with those sunglasses on

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Fuuuuuuuuucccckkkk tttthhhaaaaaattttt.

:stonk:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SaNChEzZ posted:

Long time ago, he's got his face now and has for many years. It's kind of amazing what medical technology can do these days. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Wiens May 2011, he received his face.

And here is what he looks like now:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, he looks pretty drat good.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The Glumslinger posted:

That's amazing. :stonk:

Too bad he can't get his eyesight back, maybe that'll be next. I remember hearing about experiments that would wire a camera to the brain, very basic like a 16x16 grid but still usable to get around.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Kinda has an aging rock star vibe....pretty drat impressive

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

blugu64 posted:

Kinda has an aging rock star vibe....pretty drat impressive

I know which one you meant...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Like, I know it's hard to really see 2015 as "the future." But pretty much everywhere you look in regards to technology and medical advances, we're pretty firmly in what used to be sci-fi. Dude can get an electric shock so bad that his face ends up looking like a caved-in hand puppet and we can make him look virtually normal, at least normal enough that you would pass him on the street and not notice anything unusual.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

WarpedNaba posted:

nononononononononononononoNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
That was my exact reaction. You could not possibly pay me enough to get me to go up on that thing.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

The Glumslinger posted:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

me_at_every_liberty_city_tollbooth.gif

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Spotted while on holiday in Malta. Nice and easy painting.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Glumslinger posted:

Holy poo poo medical science :stare:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Seriously, in that photo his face looks less damaged than Tommy Flanagan's.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat Hatter posted:

I honestly thought those scars were makeup for Sons of Anarchy.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cat Hatter posted:

His original face looked better than Keith Richards. :colbert:

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

It's loving Joe Walsh. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread