Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This whole movement is a defense mechanism by weird nerds who resent getting laughed at by women, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
protip: if you refer to your partner as your mate (and aren't, like, British), don't be surprised if they treat you like a dog.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

a Dork Enlightenment stinker posted:

I believe many women have a constant low-level hatred of men at a conscious or subconscious level and their narcissistic quest for entitlement and significance begrudges him any pursuit that isn't going to lead directly to producing, providing, protecting, and problem solving for her

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

protip: if you refer to your partner as your mate (and aren't, like, British), don't be surprised if they treat you like a dog.

"It was arranged with her father so I knew she had a good set of genes."

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

He sounds like he's observing a troop of monkeys, or birds, or big cats from his hiding spot in a stand of bushes

which suggests to me that he's at home hiding among bushes

:stalker:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And what woman or other normal human has ever spent five seconds thinking about cryonics beyond realizing that it's stupid nonsense and a scam for morons? I sense a lot of simulation behind the author's thoughts on women.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

And what woman or other normal human has ever spent five seconds thinking about cryonics beyond realizing that it's stupid nonsense and a scam for morons? I sense a lot of simulation behind the author's thoughts on women.

It's a relatively well known thing in the cryonics community (Hostile Wife Syndrome). Woman is married to seemingly normal dude, discovers he wants to set tens of thousands of dollars on fire, is understandably upset.

sat on my keys! has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Jun 14, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

But there was that episode of Star Trek: TNG where it totally worked and they thawed out some silly character actors!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

But there was that episode of Star Trek: TNG where it totally worked and they thawed out some silly character actors!

And even there some of them didn't survive the process.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Don't forget the Voyager episode with Amelia Earhart!

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

bartlebyshop posted:

It's a relatively well known thing in the cryonics community (Hostile Wife Syndrome). Woman is married to seemingly normal dude, discovers he wants to set tens of thousands of dollars on fire, is understandably upset.

So the selfishness thing is really just the wife calling them out on spending the family's life savings on a stupid delusion quest to cheat death.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Political Whores posted:

So the selfishness thing is really just the wife calling them out on spending the family's life savings on a stupid delusion quest to cheat death.

Usually, cryonics "treatment" is paid for out of life insurance, so the spouse (and sometimes children) feel like he's stealing tens of thousands from his surviving family that they could use to get back on their feet after his death or at least do something productive with. I suspect people who stipulate in their wills that some large fraction of their life insurance payout goes to charity don't meet nearly the same hostility.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone have any thoughts on this article comparing and contrasting the rationalist movement, libertarians, and the Dork Enlightenment? The basic thesis seems to be that all three are forms of anti-political politics created because nerds are too :spergin: to understand, accept, or do politics so they want to replace politics with mechanistic systems following rigid rule systems (respectively, logic, the free market, and :hitler:, distorted and fetishized into forms completely divorced from reality). I think he gives them way too much slack, though. Someone like Moldbug isn't really very smart, he is a stupid person's idea of what smart people write like.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems plausible, though all those movements also grow out of a childish sense of entitlement that their adherents desperately try to rationalize away with dumb racism and evopsych about women not wanting to touch them or make eye contact.

There was a political scientist a few years ago who did personality inventory tests with libertarians and had them do ethics tests, and the result was that they had measurable deficits in theory of mind and capacity for empathy, and that they accurately predicted that they cared less about fairness and harm to others than the people they see every day.

So yeah, they're entitled spergs who expect the world to change itself to become comprehensible to their broken brains.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

I sense a lot of simulation behind the author's thoughts on women.

Look, a simulation is just as good as the real thing. Don't you understand the very basic principals of trans-humanism? If you were truly capital R Rational, you would understand that by running a Graham's number worth of simulations, we can accurately model female thought processes and state objectively that they are being irrational, and safely disregard them. If you don't understand, let's pretend that you are being mugged, but the mugger doesn't have a gun, and promises to repay you a billion dollars tomorrow if you give him your wallet now...

________/
:goonsay:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

It seems plausible, though all those movements also grow out of a childish sense of entitlement that their adherents desperately try to rationalize away with dumb racism and evopsych about women not wanting to touch them or make eye contact.

There was a political scientist a few years ago who did personality inventory tests with libertarians and had them do ethics tests, and the result was that they had measurable deficits in theory of mind and capacity for empathy, and that they accurately predicted that they cared less about fairness and harm to others than the people they see every day.

So yeah, they're entitled spergs who expect the world to change itself to become comprehensible to their broken brains.

I still think neoreaction seems the odd one out considering how arbitrary and irrational fascism and other dictatorships are compared to republican forms of government but it's less about what fascism is than what neoreactionaries imagine it to be.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bartlebyshop posted:

Usually, cryonics "treatment" is paid for out of life insurance, so the spouse (and sometimes children) feel like he's stealing tens of thousands from his surviving family that they could use to get back on their feet after his death or at least do something productive with. I suspect people who stipulate in their wills that some large fraction of their life insurance payout goes to charity don't meet nearly the same hostility.

Wait really? I always thought it was one of those "you gotta pay before you die" things since you need a team of freezer guys standing by ahead of time whenever you're planning on dying. You can really pay for it out of life insurance and gently caress over your family?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Wait really? I always thought it was one of those "you gotta pay before you die" things since you need a team of freezer guys standing by ahead of time whenever you're planning on dying. You can really pay for it out of life insurance and gently caress over your family?

Most people don't have the $80,000+ on hand. It makes the whole thing especially ludicrous because by the time your death is certified you will have already started to decay. Some of the extremely rich people who want to do it have a team of guys standing by their deathbed, yeah, but if your family isn't on board that's harder to do.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it's legally considered a form of ritual burial in the U.S. too, so the freezer guys aren't going to be able to get your corpse much faster than the mortician. There's a lot of paperwork.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Think of all the people you could save with these idiots` organs. :smith:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Severely ill people are a waste of the monarch's precious resources! It should be their organs that are harvested to save the posthuman job creators!
:goonsay:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The cheapest option is head-only preservation, which is the one most of them pick, so you lose the corneas but the other organs are available.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

bartlebyshop posted:

The cheapest option is head-only preservation, which is the one most of them pick, so you lose the corneas but the other organs are available.

As long as their brains are certified dead, I'm cool with it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

bartlebyshop posted:

It makes the whole thing especially ludicrous because by the time your death is certified you will have already started to decay.
Also by the time your death is certified you're loving dead.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

If they were more honest with themselves they would realize they know this poo poo isn't any more effective than storing their organs in canopic jars for use in the next life, and that's why they don't just freeze themselves right now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

We've detected brain cell activity way after blood stopped flowing to the brain so there's at least a tiny kernel of truth behind it but technology as it is will probably gently caress your poo poo up so bad you're basically banking on a magic future where the cost of repairing your cells is free because lol if they're gonna revive the older heads out of kindness or whatever, so again Star Trek needs to be viewed as a factual account of the future for any of this to work.

Also brain cells doing stuff in the brain after death freaks me the gently caress out :ohdear:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

We've detected brain cell activity way after blood stopped flowing to the brain so there's at least a tiny kernel of truth behind it but technology as it is will probably gently caress your poo poo up so bad you're basically banking on a magic future where the cost of repairing your cells is free because lol if they're gonna revive the older heads out of kindness or whatever, so again Star Trek needs to be viewed as a factual account of the future for any of this to work.

Also brain cells doing stuff in the brain after death freaks me the gently caress out :ohdear:

Even in Star Trek utopia they all froze themselves prior to death, and some of them didn't make it. In other words:

Political Whores posted:

If they were more honest with themselves they would realize they know this poo poo isn't any more effective than storing their organs in canopic jars for use in the next life, and that's why they don't just freeze themselves right now.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't program so I don't know how stupid and crazy it is, but

What the everloving gently caress is the obsession with ships for these people?
As Col. Santiago from Alpha Centauri would put it:
"A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestionable ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister."

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Seasteading.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this article comparing and contrasting the rationalist movement, libertarians, and the Dork Enlightenment? The basic thesis seems to be that all three are forms of anti-political politics created because nerds are too :spergin: to understand, accept, or do politics so they want to replace politics with mechanistic systems following rigid rule systems (respectively, logic, the free market, and :hitler:, distorted and fetishized into forms completely divorced from reality). I think he gives them way too much slack, though. Someone like Moldbug isn't really very smart, he is a stupid person's idea of what smart people write like.

I'm just reminded that of all rationalists, Yudkowsky had the best reaction to Moldbug because he was able to form the idea that Moldbug might be biased and not purely interpreting cold hard evidence and coming to rational conclusions.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Woolie Wool posted:

nerds are too :spergin: to understand, accept, or do politics... Someone like Moldbug isn't really very smart, he is a stupid person's idea of what smart people write like.
being a nerd = thinking you're smarter than everyone else but =/= actually being intelligent

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's a hilariously terrible idea that assumes that "singularity = computers become infinitely powerful" which makes no sense but seems to be at the foundation of a lot of singularity weirdos, and on top of this it imposes bizarre 32-bit resource restrictions on these infinite global computers for... some... reason...

Also why does everything have to have a dumb name?

quote:

Programs are written in a language called Hoon, which compiles into something called Nock. Nock is basically like JVM code, except for that the entire spec is designed to fit on a t-shirt.
The founders have done as much as they can to make learning Hoon as counterintuitive as possible for anyone who already knows any other programming language. Literally even 0 is true and 1 is false.

Actually it reminds me a lot of the TempleOS guy who's said such gems as "640x480 16 color? God said it was a covenant, like circumcision."

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

quote:

The founders have done as much as they can to make learning Hoon as counterintuitive as possible for anyone who already knows any other programming language. Literally even 0 is true and 1 is false.

What kind of mad-man would do this sort of thing? :psyduck:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ratoslov posted:

What kind of mad-man would do this sort of thing? :psyduck:

Surely if it's hard to learn that means that the fact that they understand it makes them smart by default, right? :pseudo:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
If Alan Turing and Ada Lovelace used 1 for true and 0 for false, then clearly the patriarchal neomonarchists must do the opposite.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Surely if it's hard to learn that means that the fact that they understand it makes them smart by default, right? :pseudo:

Then Brainfuck and Whitespace are the best programming languages, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's just another case of dumb people doing what they imagine smart people do in order to commandeer intelligence for themselves. It's cargo-cult knowledge mastery, like how scientologists have an entire vocabulary parallel to regular English that does a slightly worse job of communicating than does regular English.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Then Brainfuck and Whitespace are the best programming languages, right?

I know people who think they're smart for writing some toys in brainfuck and who brag about it whenever weird languages come up, so yes.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I know people who think they're smart for writing some toys in brainfuck and who brag about it whenever weird languages come up, so yes.

Sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They're coworkers, but I actually will be getting a new, better job here in a couple weeks so okay :3: