Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

oswald ownenstein posted:

The only awesome moment was Varys and Tyrion reuiniting.

This.

I mean, Dany getting surrounded by Dothraki could be cool, maybe? If they had literally had any interaction beyond Dothraki Riders Screensaver 95. Or was that when Dany Shits (herself)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

teamcharlie posted:

I love the claims that the High Sparrow is a master strategist. The current king is a weak-willed simpleton. The king's own mother and wife got locked up by the church and yet the king clearly doesn't even understand that he can just order his army to bust in and break them out, then try the church officials for obvious and blatant treason.

The sparrow's brilliant plan? Let the only person the king ever listens to, his revenge-loving mother, out of prison, publicly humiliate her, and then send her to her son so as to unequivocally plot revenge on the people who imprisoned her. Also make sure not to publicly state that her crimes are 'incest' or 'adultery,' which people might have a problem with; but rather 'fornication' and 'lying,' poo poo people in that town literally do all the time and which the punishment for is apparently to walk naked through the city while people throw poo poo at you. There is no way this could turn out bad for him or his prudish homophobic church.

Not like the brain trust in Mereen is doing any better, though. How do we keep Mereen safe when its best fighters leave to find their stupid, worthless queen that the audience stopped caring about five episodes after her brilliant agents made the show add in the no-nudity clause to her contract? Why, we use the Unsullied: great warriors trained from birth to get loving mowed down by Mardi Gras rejects. The same Unsullied who were already supposed to be protecting the city but colossally and publicly failed to do so.

Sidenote: this episode was Star Wars as gently caress. Arya failed a test of how emotionless she was, but ended up following her heart and duty instead. As a result, she ends up killing somebody who looks like a super powerful dude, but when his face comes off it turns out it's hers. Also Myrcella has 'always known' that two people who made out (and more!) were brother and sister.

i think it's been pretty obvious the high sparrow is an idiot and is pretty much only succeeding on plot armor and/or his opposition all being bumbling idiots. in the case of cersei and tommen they were always bumbling idiots, but the tyrells just suddenly being like uhhh i dunno what we do he seems pretty religious i guess :shrug: is silly as hell

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Mandrel posted:

also where the gently caress was dany anyway. i got that the dothraki were there, but where is that in essos? it looked like some weird part of westeros up until the dothraki showed up. i honestly thought it was a dream sequence or something. how did they even find her to show up like that

Khal Drogo rallied his entire people behind him and she was his Khalessi, as Jorah is so fond of reminding everyone. He dies, nearly everyone fucks off to parts unknown. A couple years pass and they hear word she has three dragons and is conquering poo poo in the name of their people. They want back in.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Maarak posted:

Khal Drogo rallied his entire people behind him and she was his Khalessi, as Jorah is so fond of reminding everyone. He dies, nearly everyone fucks off to parts unknown. A couple years pass and they hear word she has three dragons and is conquering poo poo in the name of their people. They want back in.

i want to believe you and also to watch whatever show it is you're talking about

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Jon dies the same way in the books more or less. Book readers all assume he'll be rezzed somehow.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

teamcharlie posted:

I love the claims that the High Sparrow is a master strategist. The current king is a weak-willed simpleton. The king's own mother and wife got locked up by the church and yet the king clearly doesn't even understand that he can just order his army to bust in and break them out, then try the church officials for obvious and blatant treason.

The sparrow's brilliant plan? Let the only person the king ever listens to, his revenge-loving mother, out of prison, publicly humiliate her, and then send her to her son so as to unequivocally plot revenge on the people who imprisoned her. Also make sure not to publicly state that her crimes are 'incest' or 'adultery,' which people might have a problem with; but rather 'fornication' and 'lying,' poo poo people in that town literally do all the time and which the punishment for is apparently to walk naked through the city while people throw poo poo at you. There is no way this could turn out bad for him or his prudish homophobic church.

That wasn't punishment, it was atonement. She still has a trial coming, and he plans on cross examining her to show the public who she truly is.

Mandrel posted:

i want to believe you and also to watch whatever show it is you're talking about

Treat the show as a connect the dots game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

My Q-Face posted:

This.

I mean, Dany getting surrounded by Dothraki could be cool, maybe? If they had literally had any interaction beyond Dothraki Riders Screensaver 95. Or was that when Dany Shits (herself)?

Her last scene in book 5 is her making GBS threads herself in a field I think. Don't believe she's met the Dothraki yet from what I remember but she was in an area where they were known to be so it's likely she will if fat gently caress ever writes book 6

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Oh my God, I'm reading through all the reactions now, and you people are just the loving worst. Every time.

10/10 finale, would watch again.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Jon dies the same way in the books more or less. Book readers all assume he'll be rezzed somehow.

The more I think about it the more I want the White Walkers to slaughter the night's watch and rez Jon Snow as the new Night King

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Maarak posted:

i tried that but the dots just keep making pictures of dicks and middle fingers

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
The list of cool characters at this point is Davos, Tyrion, Varys, Bronn, Arya if she ever finishes her Faceless traning, Drogon, the White Walkers, and Ramsey (if only to see how thick his plot armour is)

Ginette Reno posted:

Her last scene in book 5 is her making GBS threads herself in a field I think. Don't believe she's met the Dothraki yet from what I remember but she was in an area where they were known to be so it's likely she will if fat gently caress ever writes book 6

I just checked; she does meet the Dothraki at the end according to the book wiki.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

So where was Ghost when Jon was in mortal danger? Where is he ever?

Way to drop the ball, Ghost.

If I was to form a murder party on Jon, I'd be sure to cage up his dog first.

Also... Samwell: Jon always comes back, Olly

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Zwabu posted:

Well despite everything, GoT, you did NOT succeed in making me feel bad for Cersei Lannister.

All I could think of during her long walk of shame was "Hey everyone, it's that haughty Queen Mother who likes to laugh at the misfortune of everyone else! Let's all laugh at her! Smile! Wave at the people! Blow them kisses!"

I disagree. That scene would have only been made better by her staring at the proles and burning their faces into memory for what's to come. gently caress King's Landing. Let it all burn.

Petr posted:

Oh my God, I'm reading through all the reactions now, and you people are just the loving worst. Every time.

10/10 finale, would watch again.
Agreed. Phenominal episode.

Al Nipper fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 15, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

As said in an interview posted a few pages back, Jon Snow is not returning for another season, and is thusly cadaverific. As is Stannis.

Feel free to drop this show by now. I won't blame you.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

Maarak posted:

That wasn't punishment, it was atonement. She still has a trial coming, and he plans on cross examining her to show the public who she truly is.

So Cersei, the proudest and most revenge-loving person on the face of Westeros, who is basically the king's puppeteer, is going to sit with her thumb up her rear end and wait to get reamed at a show trial?

That definitely makes more sense than making her son send the kingsguard to execute a bunch of traitors who imprisoned the loving queen.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Ok thanks. Feel free to drop this thread, I won't blame you either

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Grouchio posted:

As said in an interview posted a few pages back, Jon Snow is not returning for another season, and is thusly cadaverific. As is Stannis.

yeah he's still listed as being paid for it though so i don't really put much stock in that

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

My Q-Face posted:

I mean, Dany getting surrounded by Dothraki could be cool, maybe?

My first thought was: that gonna be one hell of a train..

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mandrel posted:

yeah he's still listed as being paid for it though so i don't really put much stock in that

Theres also pictures out there which claim to be him filming in Belfast.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TunaSled posted:

Ok thanks. Feel free to drop this thread, I won't blame you either
As there is nothing else to discuss since I dropped this an episode ago, I shall comply.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jon Snow isn't returning for another season. Makes me wonder if they're giving him another name if he is indeed revived.

That, or, they're bringing the pool down to the final players in all this poo poo and we're about to get to some serious wrecking ball swinging. The sparrows have to go soon though or you're gonna be so deep in a hole there's not going to be words for it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I hope Cersei goes to find Tommen and discovers Margaery has been in the castle pretty much the entire time Cersei was still imprisoned

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Grouchio posted:

I reallllyy would take that with a grain of salt. There is some ambiguity in the way Kit answers the questions, and the amount of buildup around Jon Snow as a character is too high. Also, claiming that he is really dead is some master misdirection and a way to unify book readers/show watchers.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

teamcharlie posted:

So Cersei, the proudest and most revenge-loving person on the face of Westeros, who is basically the king's puppeteer, is going to sit with her thumb up her rear end and wait to get reamed at a show trial?

That definitely makes more sense than making her son send the kingsguard to execute a bunch of traitors who imprisoned the loving queen.

Was the king's puppeteer. No longer the Queen either. Kevan has all the formal power now.

Good luck getting Kevan to start a civil war with the church.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Maarak posted:

Lol if his grand strategy is to force her to come back for trial after that.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

I hope Cersei goes to find Tommen and discovers Margaery has been in the castle pretty much the entire time Cersei was still imprisoned

Absolutely. This would feel good.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
So did Benjen warg into the traitor plank?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

Supposedly he has the outlines and character notes, but given how poorly the last two books went, I would say there's not much hope for those.

And I might be off in left-field here, but I think the fact that literally every plot thread left off with an unresolved cliffhanger is one of the things that left me really unimpressed this year.

Arya - cut away as her eyes turn white and go fuzzy.
Sansa and Theon - cut away as they leap off the wall.
Brienne and Stannis - cut away just as she's about to swing the sword.
Jamie and Myrcella - cut away just as she collapses in his arms.
Jon Snow - cut away as he stares, bleeding, at the camera, gasping for breath from more stab wounds and blood loss than it took to kill of Selmy just a few episodes ago.
Cersei - cut away as she smirks that she won again.

It almost reminds me of something...

You forgot about Dani's also which just adds to the frustration.

That was probably the worst part of the season for me. It has been years and she is still on another continent, Tyrion finally meets up with her, and like 2 episodes later they are split, and she's back in the loving Dothraki sea. It just feels like we went backwards, which is even worse than being stuck in Mereen.

The height of the episode though was Tyrion and Varys' conversation.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
According to IMDB and eye witnesses in Belfast, Kit Harrington is shooting season 6.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

Maarak posted:

Was the king's puppeteer. No longer the Queen either. Kevan has all the formal power now.

Good luck getting Kevan to start a civil war with the church.

You're totally right. Cersei isn't the queen. Margaery is. The Faith Militant imprisoned Margaery, the current Queen. And I'd put dollars to doughnuts that the king can still order the kingsguard to execute traitors who kidnapped and imprisoned the Queen even if he isn't still running everything, who just happen to be the part of the Faith Militant.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just loving can't bring myself to root for Dany. I rather root for Cersie than Dany.

I just want to say that I really appreciate that the showrunners keep Pot and Bronn alive and around. They are great.

Also Varys, I loving love Varys.

Also Arya killed the loving out of Meryn Trant!

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

teamcharlie posted:

The kings guard is like 7 dudes, and the entire population of kings landing loving hates cersei and supports the sparrows.

Hoping for glorious revolution. Jaime returns and finds the glorious people's republic of sparrow waiting for him

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I guess killing Jon Snow was worth it if it means we got to see some Cersei titties

edit: and I guess her butt was nice too :thumbsup:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

teamcharlie posted:

You're totally right. Cersei isn't the queen. Margaery is. The Faith Militant imprisoned Margaery, the current Queen. And I'd put dollars to doughnuts that the king can still order the kingsguard to execute traitors who kidnapped and imprisoned the Queen even if he isn't still running everything, who just happen to be the part of the Faith Militant.

The Faith have Lancel. Kevan won't kill his only son and heir. Olenna on the otherhand might. We'll find out in a year!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
tupac ain't dead

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This actually sums up really well why I was largely indifferent about this season.

I'll say this. Cliffhangers-wise, that was a HELL of a finale. Serious question, do we know if GRRM has left notes of how the series is supposed to go in the event he kicks the bucket? I hate to be morbid but given how slowly the books have come out, well...
That's not morbid, he will die before he finishes the books, or at the very least, he will die before anything of note happens.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

HoneyBoy posted:

I guess killing Jon Snow was worth it if it means we got to see some Cersei titties

edit: and I guess her butt was nice too :thumbsup:

The producers employed a body double for that walk (I thought this was well known?). For Lena Headey cleavage, I recommend 300.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Grouchio posted:

Well no poo poo season six is focusing entirely on the adventures or Rickon and Shaggydog.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Well here is my unpopular opinion: I have rather enjoyed every episode including the ones from this season. I most dislike Arya's storyline, especially after the finale tonight. Brienne is my favorite and I hope she plays a bigger role next season. Peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chonchon posted:

The kings guard is like 7 dudes, and the entire population of kings landing loving hates cersei and supports the sparrows.

Hoping for glorious revolution. Jaime returns and finds the glorious people's republic of sparrow waiting for him

One of those 7 dudes is a 9 foot tall zombie who has vowed to kill every scumbag in this shithole town.

• Locked thread