Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You'll be able to gently caress all sorts of cpu strange, I'm not even sure why it's a point of contention. Wife's dead, be a wasteland leather daddy or whatever. loving people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

I plan on going dark to the outside world for at least a week when this drops, gonna loving own. Gonna play as an explosives/melee guy who lost his junk in the war and relies 100% on Buffout to maintain his physique and just pretend any voice work is voices in my head and do my best to ignore it

yeah but then you'll find your wife and the endgame cutscene will give you 2d6 babies depending on how many procedural villages you protected to endgame, and you'll have to dream up a further story about how Enclave regenerative medicine made you whole again but you have to keep pumping that neuropozyne or Jensen's mecha-fortress will meat across the wastes to take you to heaven

actually we've just come up with a better PC arc than Bethesda has ever managed, let's go with that

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
It's too bad Bethesda was too lazy to come up with their own terrible post apocalyptic setting and instead chose to make terrible Fallout games.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I totally get that having more representation in games is something to strive for, but it seems like in the case of Fallout 4, they wanted to tell a story with a specific character in a specific situation and background. It's a departure from the previous games that allowed you to fill in those blanks, but it's not the same as "erasure". It would be worse if they didn't give any established background but also didn't enable you to express your gender/ethnicity/sexuality other than a presupposed norm. That's not what's happening here, or at least as far as we have seen.

We don't know the plot or how the history behind the characters' family and spouse will come together in the larger story yet. So this line of criticism seems more like whining. Fallout, in the past entries, has done a pretty good job of representing characters with diverse backgrounds even at the NPC level, so maybe let's see how they go for the whole thing first?

yeah i'm skeptical that it or your character really develops that much more depth. like whatever it it's not going to be a revelation or anything

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Why not just wait 3 minutes after it drops and download the "skip intro" mod or whatever to skip right to the part where you're a faceless idiot slaughtering your way through the wastelands

At least now people are importing dumb D&D poo poo instead of moaning about graphics they saw in a 1 minute or whatever clip. That's a great sign for the game considering how hysterical goons get

I plan on going dark to the outside world for at least a week when this drops, gonna loving own. Gonna play as an explosives/melee guy who lost his junk in the war and relies 100% on Buffout to maintain his physique and just pretend any voice work is voices in my head and do my best to ignore it

Honestly if you need to be pandered to or whatever the last 3 pages has been about you should just roleplay harder or wait for a mod that will spoon feed it to you

I dunno man, I'd rather have discussions about Fallout 3's food and how Bethesda raped, impregnated, and murdered the Fallout franchise than have goony dorks try to discuss social issues they have no experience with. At least with the first two, you can have some sort of discussion and moderate opinions, while any social issue chat quickly degenerates into pseudo-intellectual goons having an aneurysm over people they've never met in their lives.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

crawlkill posted:

breeder is just a super fun word for straight people, for the most part factual and not quite actually offensive but something everyone notices. no idea where I picked it up, been using it for years and years.

oh ok cool it just sounded reeeeealllly /r/childfree to my sleep deprived mind

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bethesda is a bad company you shouldn't buy their terrible games.

But you will.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Generic Monk posted:

yeah i'm skeptical that it or your character really develops that much more depth. like whatever it it's not going to be a revelation or anything

Which is totally a practical stance to take! Skepticism is valid considering the general quality of games and mainstream cinema writing at the moment.

But we can't say for certain that the decisions going in are this outrageous affront to people outside of the straight white dude audience that's normally assumed as the target for media, because the game isn't out yet. It's totally likely that the story of a straight character with a dead family will be dull and uninspired, but there's maybe the chance that they had some kind of intention behind it that made it worth doing.

That said, I kinda wish the gameplay footage also included the female protagonist path just to show that it's at least somewhat gender-balanced.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

oh ok cool it just sounded reeeeealllly /r/childfree to my sleep deprived mind

needs mention of crotchspawn to be proper childfree.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Opening scene doesn't matter. Once the bombs drop all old relationships are off.

Sorry honey, old world's dead, gonna try being a wandering savior wearing power armor painted to say 'fuckboi' across the chest (Once mods come out, of course).

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Generic Monk posted:

you're absolutely right but I just can't empathise with your sheer unbridled anger at it.

I guess I've only seen a couple one-line posts on this thread expressing disapproval and I myself have just been trying to analyze it in terms of how it's a bad Fallout move, as opposed to how it's a bad move in general. I suspect there will be more anger in days to come, but it hasn't seemed that extreme so far. much like acknowledging Bethesda is poo poo, it's one of those things I'd probably just let drop if everyone just kind of shrugged and said "yeah, I see what you're saying."

cthulhoo posted:

ALL THE THINGS

...see, this is what I was talking about above. I'd be content just to wish Bethesda products didn't exist if the whole world didn't fill up with consensual adbots talking up how great they were. I can't not respond! I'm weak!

closeted republican posted:

I dunno man, I'd rather have discussions about Fallout 3's food and how Bethesda raped, impregnated, and murdered the Fallout franchise than have goony dorks try to discuss social issues they have no experience with. At least with the first two, you can have some sort of discussion and moderate opinions, while any social issue chat quickly degenerates into pseudo-intellectual goons having an aneurysm over people they've never met in their lives.

to be strictly accurate, it's more like they sent off to Russia for a pair of twin wives, murdered the first and turned her body into House of a Thousand Corpses-esque art, then inexplicably sent the sister off to live with their gentle uncle. somehow, a loving child was born of that union, then Bethesda broke in and cut off half of Unclesidian's limbs and stole the second bride back. we don't know precisely what's going on next door yet, but last time we heard the buzzsaws and saw sparks through the garage windows, it was bad news.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Having voice acting for the playable character was a stupid loving decision for an open world game.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

megalodong posted:

needs mention of crotchspawn to be proper childfree.

let me tell u about fallout 4, three times raped crotchspawn of zenimax,

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

actually come to think of it the predefined background not only flies in the face of fallout tradition but also bethesda tradition. who from either fanbase actually wanted something like this?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

cod bros? idk

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Generic Monk posted:

actually come to think of it the predefined background not only flies in the face of fallout tradition but also bethesda tradition. who from either fanbase actually wanted something like this?

I wonder if we'll get to choose our starsign!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I think the game looks great. Was fearful after the initial trailer but all those fears have been quashed.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Technically true. :smug:

Exactly my point, he stated a 'fact' that he knew would be grossly misquote and misinterpret to a degree it would no long be true.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I think the game looks great. Was fearful after the initial trailer but all those fears have been quashed.

a great game

for a clown to play

in the circus

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

cthulhoo posted:

a great game

for a clown to play

in the circus

I'd trust the opinion about whether something's fun or not from a clown.

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011

am0kgonzo posted:

It's too bad Bethesda was too lazy to come up with their own terrible post apocalyptic setting and instead chose to make terrible Fallout games.

:agreed:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Having voice acting for the playable character was a stupid loving decision for an open world game.

This is my major complaint. I hate having a voice in a, supposedly, blank slate RPG. If they wanted this to be an open world Mass Effect clone, they could have just said so, and ran with it. Having a voice actor makes me feel like playing a character, rather than that character being my avatar. It's just not the same. It doesn't make it any less enjoyable, but it changes my perception of the game.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Theta Zero posted:

Yeah, it's their job.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Back Hack posted:

Exactly my point, he stated a 'fact' that he knew would be grossly misquote and misinterpret to a degree it would no long be true.

in what sense was it even technically true? was it just, like, sixfactorial different slides? as far as I can remember they always had the same narration. god, betraying the variable-endgame-slideshow conclusion was one of the most disappointing things in F3, alongside all the other most disappointing things.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

Dudebro audience that hates to read or think. You have no idea how many people demands voice acting for every single thing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Same, that first trailer didn't do it justice at all and lowered my interest overall for the game. The stage demo and trailer and general craziness of the "You want to gently caress poo poo up?" trailer restored that interest to the point I immediately preordered it on GMG before Todd Howard walked off the stage.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Randomzx posted:

Dudebro audience that hates to read or think. You have no idea how many people demands voice acting for every single thing.

I believe it, but this just seems so crazy. even in fully voiced games where I TRY to listen to all the dialogue, I inevitably end up reading and skipping. and I don't like reading! audiobooks are my life! but there's a time and a place!

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
One thing I'm curious about, having watched the presentation just now - why go to all the trouble of naming the baby, if your family supposedly gets incinerated, or dies via some other means? Seems like an awful lot of attention to detail for a short opening sequence.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

mackintosh posted:

One thing I'm curious about, having watched the presentation just now - why go to all the trouble of naming the baby, if your family supposedly gets incinerated, or dies via some other means? Seems like an awful lot of attention to detail for a short opening sequence.

think about some retarded kotaku "game journalist" crying like a babby over this emotional overload of a scene, AAA+

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

HOOOOLD

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

mackintosh posted:

Probably a plot twist where they're also alive or something.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

mackintosh posted:

It's almost as if there is more to the introduction than what was let on during the presentation!

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

cthulhoo posted:

think about some retarded kotaku "game journalist" crying like a babby over this emotional overload of a scene, AAA+

You think it's just that? Well, I suppose recording over 500 different names to appease a gaming journalist sounds like a reasonable investment.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

mackintosh posted:

you notice how HBO's Game of Thrones has been hurting more children since it started to diverge from the novels? it goes by many names: not having any ideas. emotional shorthand. a dirty blow. when in doubt, make a kid sad and/or dead. then your audience has to care! the more personal, the better!

Theta Zero posted:

I can never keep track of the Fallout timeline, but aren't we well over a century after the Bomb now? I guess Bethesda put in cryogenics and stuff so who even cares

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Theta Zero posted:

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I hope I can kill them.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i'm sure tons of other retards would appreciate this too, might even have some itt

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

crawlkill posted:

in what sense was it even technically true? was it just, like, sixfactorial different slides?

The end slides were part of the endings (really ending, as in singular), but not the ending themselves. By saying the game had 200 endings when he asked how many endings Fallout 3 had, he stated a fact about it but not the fact.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What boggles my mind about this whole thing is that whenever the next game in the Fallout series rolls around, 80% of what you might've done as the previous character is lost to history, in-universe. Sure, you defeated A and saved B and known throughout the Wasteland as C, but nowhere is it memorialized the little details. Maybe it's just be, but I could never bring myself to kvetch over the role-playing part of things without a ME3-style system in place.

Nobody in all of Tamriel will ever tell you what race the Nerevarine is or which guild he/she worked for the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

mackintosh posted:

There was the scene where you find the PipBoy that took place in the Vault, so I'm sure there's more to it than "make character, make wife, make baby, 2/3 die in the first 60 seconds of game".

• Locked thread