Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SubG posted:

Heat/chill/re-heat can also be useful if you're working around a variable serving time---don't know when guests will be arriving, everything's waiting on some labour-intensive kitchen task, whatever. Or if you've got more than one thing you want to do s-v (steak & eggs, say).

It's not really a time-saving thing so much as a time management thing---get it done ahead of time so it's one less thing to worry about later.

Yeah. As I keep going on and on about, I can buy familysize+ meat packages (10lb+), portion it, vac it, puddle it, chill it, and shove it in my fridge. At any time over the next six loving weeks I can pull out a bag (2 portions per bag, usually) and either therm it in the bath or just leave it on the counter until it's somewhere between fridge and room temp (if I pull it as I start to prep everything else, it works out pretty well) I can just sear it off or broil it off or just serve it as-is. The ability to put short rib tacos on the table in 15 minutes or throw together a hangar steak-topped salad or just take a sealed pack of perfect salmon to work with me is life-altering.

To put it another way, sous vide has only marginally improved my ability to cook. It has, however, allowed me to save an enormous amount of time, and to spend the time when I have it and still put something good on the table when I have no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Isn't that what Howard Johnson used it for pretty much? Cook tons of poo poo in bulk, serve when ordered.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

deimos posted:

Isn't that what Howard Johnson used it for pretty much? Cook tons of poo poo in bulk, serve when ordered.

You want to hear a secret?

This is what MOST restaurants use it for.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure that's why TK brought it to the states.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've had my anova for a few months now and I only just got around to using it to cook steak and drat

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So this popped up in my facebook feed today, and seemed pretty relevant to the discussion at hand. In 2016, this company is planning to release a $400 hands-off sous vide machine. It chills the water inside it, so you pre-load it with the food you want, and use an app to tell it when to start heating the water and preparing the food. Honestly, I think it looks pretty neat, and it would be awesome to just toss some food into it before I go to work, and have it ready to eat by the time I come home, what do ya'll think?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Captain Bravo posted:

So this popped up in my facebook feed today, and seemed pretty relevant to the discussion at hand. In 2016, this company is planning to release a $400 hands-off sous vide machine. It chills the water inside it, so you pre-load it with the food you want, and use an app to tell it when to start heating the water and preparing the food. Honestly, I think it looks pretty neat, and it would be awesome to just toss some food into it before I go to work, and have it ready to eat by the time I come home, what do ya'll think?
Seems like paying between two to four times as much as competing sous vide products just to automate the simplest goddamn part of the entire process isn't much of a pitch. And you're adding in additional points of failure (refrigeration!) which, all else being equal, are going to reduce the service life of your more-expensive appliance relative to a similar device without them.

I mean I'm totally not the target market for this thing (Michael Pollan endorsement lol) but it like they're trying to be the breadmaker of the sous vide market.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

For me, personally, I think I'd like it a lot. I can't tell you how many times I'll get some stuff to make dinner early in the week, and then after I come home from work I'm so utterly beat that I can't spend the time needed to cook it before falling asleep, so I just eat some cheese and crackers or something. I've been thinking about doing like Test Pattern does, spend an entire weekend preparing meals and then freezing them for the next month, but this also seemed like an interesting idea to me, I dunno.

Also, should I know who Michael Pollan is?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Captain Bravo posted:

For me, personally, I think I'd like it a lot. I can't tell you how many times I'll get some stuff to make dinner early in the week, and then after I come home from work I'm so utterly beat that I can't spend the time needed to cook it before falling asleep, so I just eat some cheese and crackers or something. I've been thinking about doing like Test Pattern does, spend an entire weekend preparing meals and then freezing them for the next month, but this also seemed like an interesting idea to me, I dunno.

I don't freeze them, I just put them in the fridge -- it's technically a risk because I'm not going to full sterilization, but I'm comfortable where I am on the bacterial growth curve.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Captain Bravo posted:

Probably, if you care about food and/or food politics.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So that's a no, then? :v:

In other news :siren: Oh poo poo the Anova is back on sale! :siren:

For the next three hours, Amazon is selling Anova's for 119 bucks plus free shipping. For those of you (like me) who thought you missed the bus when the $99 sale ended, now's your chance!

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I don't want to pimp our thing excessively, but I'm part of the Mellow team. "The breadmaker of the sous-vide market" is a pretty accurate description of what we want to do, except that whatever it is that comes out of a breadmaker ain't no bread to me.

I can't offer a sweet goon discount, but I'm happy to answer questions if you're interested in what we do and why we do it :catholic:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Drive By posted:

I don't want to pimp our thing excessively, but I'm part of the Mellow team.

Really? Awesome! I was wanting to know-

Drive By posted:

I can't offer a sweet goon discount

:dawkins101:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

How many watt-hours and how many minutes does it take to cool the water bath?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What does it use to chill the water?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Captain Bravo posted:

So that's a no, then? :v:

For the next three hours, Amazon is selling Anova's for 119 bucks plus free shipping. For those of you (like me) who thought you missed the bus when the $99 sale ended, now's your chance!

I bought one of these as a birthday present for myself! Time for some fancy steaks.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What does it use to chill the water?

An array of thermoelectric cells. It's a compact, but not super-efficient kind of refrigeration. Works well for a small volume like ours and it's nice not to have a compressor chugging away.

taqueso posted:

How many watt-hours and how many minutes does it take to cool the water bath?

For most cases it'll take around an hour to two hours cool the water bath below 40ºF, and around 150 watt-hour (or a couple of cents in electricity) if my back-of-the-napkin math isn't off by an order of magnitude.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Drive By posted:

I don't want to pimp our thing excessively, but I'm part of the Mellow team. "The breadmaker of the sous-vide market" is a pretty accurate description of what we want to do, except that whatever it is that comes out of a breadmaker ain't no bread to me.

I can't offer a sweet goon discount, but I'm happy to answer questions if you're interested in what we do and why we do it :catholic:

Wondered when you would jump in. We talked about this in another thread a long while ago.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Samizdata posted:

Wondered when you would jump in. We talked about this in another thread a long while ago.

Hah, yeah! A year ago almost to the day! It's taking us a while to go from prototypes to production. I was looking at our real-time analytics today and saw a visitor referred by forums.somethingawful.com, came straight to this thread hoping it wouldn't be FYAD.

When I'm on the forums I'm usually not in work mode, so I tend to stay out of the sous-vide thread unless I can be uniquely helpful (sad consequence of turning your passion into your job). If an impromptu AMA on Mellow isn't interesting I'll gently caress off back to lurking.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'm just kind of awe-struck that a link I posted got one of the creators to come join the discussion. :v:

So are you guys shooting for 35ºF for a "Standard" fridge temperature? Also, how much power will it eat to keep the water at that temperature for any length of time? Will it come anywhere close to that 150 watt-hour figure if I leave it on overnight? For a weekend? For a week?

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm just kind of awe-struck that a link I posted got one of the creators to come join the discussion. :v:

So are you guys shooting for 35ºF for a "Standard" fridge temperature? Also, how much power will it eat to keep the water at that temperature for any length of time? Will it come anywhere close to that 150 watt-hour figure if I leave it on overnight? For a weekend? For a week?

Steady-state, we're shooting for sub-39ºF. We're essentially designing to meet FDA standards for refrigeration in commercial kitchens: those are so conservative that if we hit them, there's pretty much zero chance anything will ever turn bad inside one of our devices. And the idea that you can pause or fast-forward your dinner from the office/beach/a hot date is totally worth the hassle. Plus, you get to do auto-retrogradation of starches, automatic turbo-aging of meats, semi-auto beer brewing and a bunch of other niche applications that are a bunch of fun but a lot more hassle.

Also steady-state, we can do a lot better than that 150 watt-hour figure. That's for taking a substantial amount of heat from a large water mass and dropping it from ambient temperature to refrigeration temperature. Once we get there, holding is a lot cheaper: Around 20 to 30 Watt. So if you leave a chunk of salmon in there for a whole week, you're out of pocket for a whole $.50. (if my after-work math is even close to ok)

Thanks a lot for posting our thing on the forums, Captain. I think I got my start sous-vizzling here in GWS a bunch of time ago, and if it weren't for this place, I don't know what I'd be doing with my life.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There you have it, everyone. Sous vide saves lives!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Drive By posted:

Thanks a lot for posting our thing on the forums, Captain. I think I got my start sous-vizzling here in GWS a bunch of time ago, and if it weren't for this place, I don't know what I'd be doing with my life.

How's progress on the recipe for upside-down dogcake?

Will Mellow be available in non-white colors? Might I suggest a nice shade of canary, or egg yolk?

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 16, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

No joke, you guys should totally offer one in black. That would be stylish as hell.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Drive By posted:

Steady-state, we're shooting for sub-39ºF. We're essentially designing to meet FDA standards for refrigeration in commercial kitchens: those are so conservative that if we hit them, there's pretty much zero chance anything will ever turn bad inside one of our devices. And the idea that you can pause or fast-forward your dinner from the office/beach/a hot date is totally worth the hassle. Plus, you get to do auto-retrogradation of starches, automatic turbo-aging of meats, semi-auto beer brewing and a bunch of other niche applications that are a bunch of fun but a lot more hassle.

Also steady-state, we can do a lot better than that 150 watt-hour figure. That's for taking a substantial amount of heat from a large water mass and dropping it from ambient temperature to refrigeration temperature. Once we get there, holding is a lot cheaper: Around 20 to 30 Watt. So if you leave a chunk of salmon in there for a whole week, you're out of pocket for a whole $.50. (if my after-work math is even close to ok)

Is there any way to check to see if you drunkenly pre ordered a mellow or drunkenly cancelled a pre order for mellow?

At this point I don't need a third machine but my dad may like it.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

I've ordered the fathers day special Anova (regrettably not the Ebay special price :gonk:), any advice on affordable commodity vacuum bags + sealer which won't incur too much of an Australia Tax? I read that the reusable bags (the ones with a navel you can pump from) lose their ability to hold a vacuum after a few uses, and I suspect that for those reusable bags every company/ebay seller seems to have their own incompatible attachments.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just use ziploc freezer bags for a while. If you're paranoid about them not staying shut, then clip them to the side of the pot.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
What's everyone favorite temp/time for Pork Butt. I've seen recipes varying from 140-160F.

I put some in at 140F this morning for dinner tomorrow (should be about 35 hours total), but I'm wondering if I should turn it up a little when I get home tonight.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is there any way to check to see if you drunkenly pre ordered a mellow or drunkenly cancelled a pre order for mellow?

At this point I don't need a third machine but my dad may like it.

Of course, shoot me an email at ze at cookmellow with your name and email and I'll look.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Drive By posted:

Of course, shoot me an email at ze at cookmellow with your name and email and I'll look.

If I go missing may SA mourn my loss.

Thanks Drive By.

In other news, I may have hit peak BSCBs.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

homercles posted:

I've ordered the fathers day special Anova (regrettably not the Ebay special price :gonk:), any advice on affordable commodity vacuum bags + sealer which won't incur too much of an Australia Tax? I read that the reusable bags (the ones with a navel you can pump from) lose their ability to hold a vacuum after a few uses, and I suspect that for those reusable bags every company/ebay seller seems to have their own incompatible attachments.

Just use ziploc heavy-duty freezer bags unless you feel like buying a chamber sealer.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sportman posted:

What's everyone favorite temp/time for Pork Butt. I've seen recipes varying from 140-160F.

I put some in at 140F this morning for dinner tomorrow (should be about 35 hours total), but I'm wondering if I should turn it up a little when I get home tonight.

225 for about 14 hours. Add a nice chunk of hickory to the water.......

gently caress wrong thread.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is 136 the right temp for butter poached lobster or is that going to make it too rubbery?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I'm doing a bbq in a public park tomorrow and would like an idea for something I can SV for 24 hours and then throw on the grill in the park to finish. Any ideas for 24 hour recipes? Pork belly?

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Jay Carney posted:

I'm doing a bbq in a public park tomorrow and would like an idea for something I can SV for 24 hours and then throw on the grill in the park to finish. Any ideas for 24 hour recipes? Pork belly?

My friend did a leg of mutton sous vide for 24 hours then just coloured on the barbecue on a tray not over the coals directly but at really high heat with the lid down. I haven't enjoyed lamb as much since knowing how tasty that mutton was.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Amazon is incredible!

Captain Bravo posted:

:neckbeard:

I was so excited I brought it into work to show off. Of course, nobody in work knew what it was, and after explaining it a few times I gave up and just told people it was a giant battery. :v:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

I was so excited I brought it into work to show off. Of course, nobody in work knew what it was, and after explaining it a few times I gave up and just told people it was a giant battery vibrator. :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Captain Bravo posted:

Amazon is incredible!

:neckbeard:

I was so excited I brought it into work to show off. Of course, nobody in work knew what it was, and after explaining it a few times I gave up and just told people it was a giant battery. :v:

My wife got me one for Father's day, along with the Modernist Cuisine at Home.

So happy right now.

I don't know what to do for my first use

There's a meatloaf sandwich recipe in the book I might give a go that uses Sous Vide.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Is 136 the right temp for butter poached lobster or is that going to make it too rubbery?

I personally prefer around 115F, but 136 will get you a more traditional texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just dropped a chuck roast into the bath @ 131 for the next 24ish hours.

I put in a can of masaman curry paste and massaged it real good.

I'm thinking stir fry tomorrow. :)