Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Neeksy posted:

What if, get this, the liberalization of sexuality only became a big thing in their society after it all blew up and they were no longer living in a fascistic pretend 1950s-land. And since this particular protagonist lived in the prewar era…

finally, a Bethesda protagonist who's a Mary Sue not just in what they can accomplish, but in where they come from

this is not a persuasive argument for this being a good design choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kurtofan posted:

It's a role playing game, I'd like the choice of not having to roleplay as a family man. Just the fact that they implemented thousands of names for the baby means they won't shut up about this aspect of the game.

It's literally just for five or ten minutes in the intro. After the bombs fall you can go hog wild.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's literally for five or ten minutes in the intro. After the bombs fall you can go hog wild.

unless the plot ends up being you looking for your fambly, which is where I'd put my dollar

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's literally just for five or ten minutes in the intro. After the bombs fall you can go hog wild.

In the meantime, enjoy the closet.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

crawlkill posted:

which ones were those? this is like the fifth time I've engaged with an SA thread

You threw a shitfit over Bethesda making a new Fallout game, starting this entire mess, kept being an inflammatory dick when people disagreed with you, and now you think dragging loving queer politics horseshit into the topic is a fantastic idea. You even squeezed in a Gamergate snipe for some godforsaken reason.

You have singlehandingly managed to bring down the entire thread with your inability to calm down, urge to keep moving goalposts, and refusing to budge on anything. Bravo.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

In the meantime, enjoy the closet.

if anything its p realistic as per the setting

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

cthulhoo posted:

mandatory dad jokes for every dialog option, bring it on bethesda

GECK? Is it some kind of a lizard

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

cthulhoo posted:

if anything its p realistic as per the setting

True, but it's disappointing, this idea that there was no social progress made until everything went to hell.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

closeted republican posted:

You threw a shitfit over Bethesda making a new Fallout game, starting this entire mess, kept being an inflammatory dick when people disagreed with you, and now you think dragging loving queer politics horseshit into the topic is a fantastic idea.

You have singlehandingly managed to bring down the entire thread with your inability to calm down and refuse to budge. Bravo.

actually it wasn't me who brought up the queer stuff, I just agreed with the person who did, and then when people disagreed I engaged with them, the way people do

and the last time I visited this thread it was all about making GBS threads on Bethesda, so excuse me for not checking for a tonal change? it probably wouldn't've stopped me but I'd've been less surprised to get blasted with misplaced optimism

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

crawlkill posted:

unless the plot ends up being you looking for your fambly, which is where I'd put my dollar

Pretty much, if fallout 3 Dad plot is any indication, plot twist, we find our wife and child, but they're robots.

here comes the big choice, are robots people too, or not?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

True, but it's disappointing, this idea that there was no social progress made until everything went to hell.

that's p much what happened, yes

making a sexually liberated otherkin protagonist would be as out of place as someone openly gay in that setting, imagine that

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Still, at least the E3 trailer shut people up about farming and the agronomic aspects of the post-2077 wasteland.

All they can do now they've got it is complain apparently, proving how loving idiotic of a request it was in the first place though

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

It's such a shame fallout 3 Dad wasn't gay.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Pretty much, if fallout 3 Dad plot is any indication, plot twist, we find our wife and child, but they're robots.

They're also the villains, and they want to assimilate what's left of America. SAVE US, WHITEY MCLANTERNJAW! :derp:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

blainestereo posted:

fallout 3 dad gay. so what

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flaky posted:

All they can do now they've got it is complain apparently, proving how loving idiotic of a request it was in the first place though

Yeah but at least they're complaining about something else. Now it's "I can't play as C. Hamilton Thunderpenis, the most Out And Proud power bottom in all of Folsom Street!"

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

cthulhoo posted:

that's p much what happened, yes

if Bethesda feels the need to time travel a prewar person into the glowing future, cryogenicly or otherwise, it seems like even more of a missed opportunity that they mandate that you be some kind of standard member of that society when you could instead be a genuine misfit weirdo if you so chose

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

blainestereo posted:

thats why he ran away from his cis-crotchspawn i.e. you

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

horse mans posted:

fallout 3 dad gay. so what

Instead of purifying the water, his goal would be to establish a Five Guys in the ruins of DC which Colonel Autumn would want for himself. He would bravely sacrifrice himself to turn on a bbq grill with a skull made out of snow on it. Also, he would randomly go on benders that consist of insulting you.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

crawlkill posted:

if Bethesda feels the need to time travel a prewar person into the glowing future, cryogenicly or otherwise, it seems like even more of a missed opportunity that they mandate that you be some kind of standard member of that society when you could instead be a genuine misfit weirdo if you so chose

im sorry bethesda is not designing this installment of their perennial hiking simulator for tumblrinas

not yet, at least

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

crawlkill posted:

They're bringing back Futurama again?!

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

crawlkill posted:

Also in space, now that would be aces.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

cthulhoo posted:

im sorry bethesda is not designing this installment of their perennial hiking simulator for tumblrinas

not yet, at least

is that your word for "doing the thing every other Fallout game has done and not imposing a detailed past on you"

I mean were the previous games tumblrinacious

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Pretty sure that's the joke behind the concept.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Umm whats the recipe for post-nuclear birth control? This is important.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Having said all that, I would really love being able to name my character Topher Bottoms and have the robot butler mention it.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Instead of purifying the water, his goal would be to establish a Five Guys in the ruins of DC which Colonel Autumn would want for himself. He would bravely sacrifrice himself to turn on a bbq grill with a skull made out of snow on it. Also, he would randomly go on benders that consist of insulting you.

ah colonel autumn, so dreamy :swoon:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

cthulhoo posted:

not yet, at least

I'd play a game where you explore the Fallout world as a shut-in overweight fangirl in her 20s that constatly reblogs images from the Wasteland on her Tumblr.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Having said all that, I would really love being able to name my character Topher Bottoms.

I hear that's in their word filter

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Flaky posted:

Umm whats the recipe for post-nuclear birth control? This is important.

hold a depleted warhead firmly between your legs

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I'd play a game where you explore the Fallout world as a shut-in overweight fangirl in her 20s that constatly reblogs images from the Wasteland on her Tumblr.

ah yes

*encounters some raiders, educates them on topic of microaggressions*

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

cthulhoo posted:

ah colonel autumn, so dreamy :swoon:

it's very hard to be fair to Bethesda, but to be fair to Bethesda, at least they managed to give at least a few key NPCs non-terrifying human faces by Fallout 3

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

QuantaStarFire posted:

They're also the villains, and they want to assimilate what's left of America. SAVE US, WHITEY MCLANTERNJAW! :derp:

But can't you have the protagonist be any race/gender in Fallout 4? The only thing they seem to have set in stone is they were hetero or at least bi enough to have kids.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

cthulhoo posted:

hold a depleted warhead firmly between your legs

Also known as the megaton treatment.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

crawlkill posted:

it's very hard to be fair to Bethesda, but to be fair to Bethesda, at least they managed to give at least a few key NPCs non-terrifying human faces by Fallout 3

That's one of the Project Beauty retweaks.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

QuantaStarFire posted:

That's one of the Project Beauty retweaks.

oh no wonder I responded to it, I was like "man, that looks a lot less poo poo than I vaguely remembered"

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Neeksy posted:

But can't you have the protagonist be any race/gender in Fallout 4?

Your sex is fixed but your gender can be whatever your heart desires, p. progressive if you ask me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There was a ghoulified Redcoat guy in the E3 presentation. I hope there's a sidequest where you fight a horde of Revolutionary War reenactor ghouls who've been mindfucked into thinking they're actual Minutemen or King Ralph's Royal Tightsmen Grenadiers or whatever.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

cthulhoo posted:

not yet, at least

jesus christ shut up you whinging human being

you guys are worse than the people you hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zombies' Downfall posted:

jesus christ shut up you whinging human being

you guys are worse than the people you hate