Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Bholder posted:

Because if you truly love RPGs you would never give a voice to your main character.

it's more "if your team sucks at writing dialogue it's not a good idea to give a voice to your main character, and if your franchise traditionally leaves your character's personality open to interpretation even a well-written voiced character anchors your ability to interpret your dude to a certain extent"

but I recognize that it's harder to drop a weary nontribution when you get into specifics

Gravy Jones posted:

No it's not. It's a completely normal position to be in. There is literally nothing strange about it all.

I'm not sure you can tell me what I find strange and what I don't? I like to try to understand why people I like like things that seem terrible. I also like being able to verbalize why terrible things are terrible, and not just go on instinct when evidence is available.

crawlkill fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I mean most of the reveals so far have been more or less directly inspired by the community in response to the last game. That hardly sounds like design-by-consensus.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If you start with 0 Charisma how did you get a wife and child?

:q:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bholder posted:

You are right, it is just that every decision in games not retro or indy must be done by face-less, robotic company executives who care about nothing but objective statistics and how they can get profit from them.

Because if you truly love RPGs you would never give a voice to your main character.

It can work fine in a lot of RPGs and I'm not opposed to the concept. I just don't see it being a comfy fit in FO or TES

Bastion and Transistor were frankly unplayable for me for example, but in the ME series it was fine.

It is, however, something that necessarily limits the scope of
a game that lives and dies by its scope, so caution is the watch word here, with a lot of people feeling like it was an unnecessary risk/expense

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ChogsEnhour posted:

10 Luck

And yeah it's less "BLLAAARGH VOICE ACTING WILL RUIN THE GAME NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING" and more "voice acting seems like a really questionable cost/benefit for players, and it's not like these games were critical and commercial failures in desperate need of more mass appeal"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wouldn't mind the voiced protagonist so much if they didn't go with the Mass Effect style dialogue options. That just really limits role playing potential to me.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ChogsEnhour posted:

I guess the rest of the points have to go somewhere.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

ChogsEnhour posted:

0 CH is required for the Goon perk tree

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Bastion and Transistor were frankly unplayable for me for example, but in the ME series it was fine.

(Bastion just had a narrator, protagonist was silent, but maybe that's sort of the same thing)

(and omg the Bastion narrator was amazing how can you say such a thing)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think I just figured out the real tragedy of fully voiced dialogue.

The death of Moron player build specific dialogue. No more "I is scientific!".

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My feelings on the game from what I saw at E3 are mixed. It doesn't look like the sort of Fallout game I might be looking for, but it doesn't look like a bad game either. I suppose I'll get used to it and try and enjoy it for what it is. Is November too soon to release it though?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Just so you know, voiced or not, but even in old Fallout all of your dialog options were pre-written, you could only say things the designers intended for you to say. Your options were always limited.

The only limitation voiced lines will add is that you won't be able to introduce yourself (and even that might be untrue now)

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Bholder posted:

Just so you know, voiced or not, but even in old Fallout all of your dialog options were pre-written, you could only say things the designers intended for you to say. Your options were always limited.

The only limitation voiced lines will add is that you won't be able to introduce yourself (and even that might be untrue now)

they should just add a bioware-style surname while they are raping us all by adding voice.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I wouldn't mind the voiced protagonist so much if they didn't go with the Mass Effect style dialogue options. That just really limits role playing potential to me.

I'm just worried about the dialogue options being too vague and that can mean many different things with interpretation, so I end up picking something I didn't mean to say.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilmiera posted:

My feelings on the game from what I saw at E3 are mixed. It doesn't look like the sort of Fallout game I might be looking for, but it doesn't look like a bad game either. I suppose I'll get used to it and try and enjoy it for what it is. Is November too soon to release it though?

They did say they'veb een working on it for 4 years, and what we saw did look extremely polished.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

This post reminded me of the movie Pleasantville.

Already looking forward for this game. Powerarmour + crafting could be kinda fun.

Edit:
made my post short by removing crap

Neeksy posted:

Isn't there literally a vault in 3 where there's a virtual 1950s area?

Yes, but is not a fun part. The area is limited and the quest there not very fun. ... is the way the era is presented.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 15, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Tei posted:

This post reminded me of the movie Pleasantville.

Now that I think about it, is sad that theres no more cyberpunk in the Fallout universe. It would be cool if the wilderness dwellers had a double life inside virtual 50's.

Maybe Fallout is a prequel to Syndicate, or Syndicate a prequel to Fallout, I dunno.

Isn't there literally a vault in 3 where there's a virtual 1950s area?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bholder posted:

Having a voiced protagonist means having a VA budget that limits the amount and length of your responses. With an unvoiced character you can give the PC way more dialogue options to choose from.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I am going to play Fallout 4 and probably enjoy it a lot.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Having a voiced protagonist means having a VA budget that limits the amount and length of your responses. With an unvoiced character you can give the PC way more dialogue options to choose from.

which would mostly amount to the same outcome anyway because its bethesda and writing branching quests is hard

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

crawlkill posted:

(Bastion just had a narrator, protagonist was silent, but maybe that's sort of the same thing)

(and omg the Bastion narrator was amazing how can you say such a thing)

I accept that I'm in the minority here but the incessant stating and restating of the obvious stuff that was going on drove me nuts. I couldn't get more than a quarter of the way through the game until I said enough was enough

It's like trying to play a game where the main character is the SNL guy from the 90's who just stated everything that was going on like he was being super cool as the protagonist

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Bholder posted:

so putting in full voicing will always mean fewer lines, and lines that can't be freely edited at any point in development. but that's not the point about anchoring your character's personality. I couldn't stand the guys Bioware got to voice Shepherd and Hawke and -either- Inquisitor in Mass Effect and Dragon Age. just having to hear their grating voices constantly dragged me out of the game. it wasn't just that Shepherd said douchey things--he said them in such a douchey way. if I didn't have to hear his delivery, I'd've had that much more room to not hate him, to interpret his lines in a way that didn't make me wish he'd died on Betelgeuse 7 or whatever.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Bholder posted:

I do think they kinda addressed that by having that huge library of voiced names you can use. Sadly they probably can't give voice to Tacofart McBonerstink.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Raygereio posted:

I hope everyone's excited for when they find out that after paying nolan north and jennifer hale for 50,000 lines of dialog and william shatner to voice your son bethesda can only afford a single voice actor for the rest of the game who speaks in a complete monotone and becomes noticably more tired and hoarse as the game progresses

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

Yeah, but they were also written out in full, so I could choose whether I wanted to sound like the know-it-all smart guy or the dumb-as-rocks tough guy, and I could assign them all Steve Buscemi's voice in my head to boot.

Now I get to sound like Troy Baker or whoever the gently caress, and the 2-word dialogue option I get to pick from the dialogue wheel might be the absolute opposite thing I actually wanted to say. So it's like Mass Effect in that respect. I liked Mass Effect fine, but it wasn't the same kind of RPG as Fallout or Elder Scrolls; it was more of a JRPG, if anything.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I do think they kinda addressed that by having that huge library of voiced names you can use. Sadly they probably can't give voice to Tacofart McBonerstink.

they should just add a basic speech synthesizer, would actually fit really well for player sperglords

my name is (pause) b-o-n-e-r-h-i-t-l-e-r (pause) and i want to tell you about my hate of anything ever changing

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Yes, and the graphics will take away the budget used for the RPG elements.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yeah, but they were also written out in full, so I could choose whether I wanted to sound like the know-it-all smart guy or the dumb-as-rocks tough guy, and I could assign them all Steve Buscemi's voice in my head to boot.

Now I get to sound like Troy Baker or whoever the gently caress, and the 2-word dialogue option I get to pick from the dialogue wheel might be the absolute opposite thing I actually wanted to say. So it's like Mass Effect in that respect. I liked Mass Effect fine, but it wasn't the same kind of RPG as Fallout or Elder Scrolls; it was more of a JRPG, if anything.

I would love it if they actually hired different actors to voice the protagonist with different levels of charisma and intelligence.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Bholder posted:

Yes, and the graphics will take away the budget used for the RPG elements.

tbf voice thing literally happened in oblivion

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked that one Mass Effect dialogue choice where the dialogue option says "I'm trying to help you" and Shepard says exactly that except after punching the person when you pick it (or before, can't remember). Looking forward to that in Fallout 4.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

QuantaStarFire posted:

if they got Simon Templeman to do his crazed voice for the protagonist though I could consider forgiving them for at least a few of their sins

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Does anyone know who does the voice of the robot?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Even our -dialogue- is dynamic, it's not a mode you're locked into, you can play it in first person you can play it in third person, you can walk away whenever you want, you can shoot him in the face if you want.
*Codsworth has been knocked unconscious because Bethesda can't make a story without enough immortal characters to populate a small town*

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It'll appear as one of two names in the credits under "voice acting", you'll want to look for the male one.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Pretty sure it's Stephen Russell, who did the robot voice in the last game as well.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Would unironically preorder a Fallout game with a Mr Handy protagonist, fake 50s family or not.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Set the character's intelligence and charisma to the lowest and suddenly he gets voiced by Jim Belushi.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

Set the character's intelligence and charisma to the lowest and suddenly he gets voiced by Jim Belushi.

Nah, Patrick Warburton. But then I wouldn't be able to play any other character.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

blainestereo posted:

Would unironically preorder a Fallout game with a Mr Handy protagonist, fake 50s family or not.

same but Fisto

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh god, I just noticed, the kid's name is Shaun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like the old percentile skills system is out

I think they should have kept stuff like the power armor jetpack a surprise.

• Locked thread