Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bholder posted:

So how is this different than collecting all mugs, pencils and toasters for the sink so they can break it down to more useful materials?

Why did you do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

What the gently caress is that? Is that like a QTE to do a crit? :cripes:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So when are the mods coming out that add holodisks of Fallout 1 and 2 you can play on your ingame PipBoy?

Shugojin posted:

What the gently caress is that? Is that like a QTE to do a crit? :cripes:

It also seems to imply you can only get critical hits while using VATS?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Like I said, it won't be tedious if they balance it correctly. Rooting through 20 boxes to find 10 adhesives to make 1 gun part is not the same as rooting through 3 boxes to find 3 adhesives to make 1 gun part.

edit: Forums hiccuped so if this post shows up again a few posts down the page, sorry.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Why did you do this?

I can only see positives in finding actual useful items, instead of filling the world with literal useless junk.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Like I said, it won't be tedious if they balance it correctly. Rooting through 20 boxes to find 10 adhesives to make 1 gun part is not the same as rooting through 3 boxes to find 3 adhesives to make 1 gun part.

edit: Forums hiccuped so if this post shows up again a few posts down the page, sorry.

Has Bethesda ever balanced anything correctly?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If anybody missed it like me, you can even armor individual legs

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Bholder posted:

So how is this different than collecting all mugs, pencils and toasters for the sink so they can break it down to more useful materials?
Nothing, OWB is by far the worst DLC. Though once you're done with it you'll be so over-leveled it won't really matter what you decide to collect or not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

Has Bethesda ever balanced anything correctly?

Fair enough. The balanced scavenging mod will fix it if so.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Fair enough. The balanced scavenging mod will fix it if so.

For only $4.99!

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Neeksy posted:

Maybe you can just deposit materials at home so crafting there doesn't take up all your inventory except when you're scavenging.

I didn't see anything hinting at this in the presentation, but given how much they (wisely) seem to be cribbing from mods, I wouldn't be surprised to see auto-sort storage and/or craft-from-storage in FO4. They're pretty popular functions in housing mods for FNV and Skyrim, and it's exactly the kind of improvement they should be folding into the game, especially if you're able to salvage all those junk items.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Special descriptions

"recharge rate of Critical Hits"

Also lol at the "Howard" build

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 15, 2015

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bholder posted:

I cant believe people actually did that. base building and customising and poo poo looks sort of fun but its worrying that it'll mean the optimal playstyle is to walk through every area hoovering up all the garbage on the floor.

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 15, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

Encourage scavenging not hoarding.

I don't see how this is bad and non-scavengery. You don't loot the breakdown mats, you loot the items. There's always going to be the "loot everything not nailed down, stump around at 279/280 weight and offload everything you find at the first hapless merchant you see for a cap a pop" types. To me this looks less like "oh jesus why can I loot pilot lights and vacuum cleaners what do I use them for how many will I need" and more like you have a set of recipes unlocked by some means and can then quickly go find the necessary categories. Rarer components will become obvious pretty quickly I hope.

I do have to wonder, though, if this is what the "repair" system looks like now - tracking the wear of individual armor/weapon components and replacing them directly from scavenged goods. ...Although at that point, yeah, laser rifle = backpack full of emergency microscopes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Also lol at the "Howard" build

Yeah a charismatic liar with a lot of luck but otherwise a wimpy, mentally retarded nerd sounds about right for Todd Howard.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah a charismatic liar with a lot of luck but otherwise a wimpy, mentally retarded nerd sounds about right for Todd Howard.

Holy shti. loving owned

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

recharging crits? interesting.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

:drat:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

How do people feel about the graphics now? I thought it didn't look too bad in motion, but then again I haven't played the Witcher 3 so gently caress me right?

also

Mr. Fortitude posted:

lol

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

THAT ISN'T ENOUGH PERKS TODD HOWARD/FRAUD COWARD

HOW DARE YOU DESTROY MY CHILDHOOD GAME WITH NOT ENOUGH PERKS

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Nice.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I wonder if the Pip Boy from the PBE can be retrofitted with a mod to work with New Vegas, and if it'd even be worth getting then since I could just get an app on my smartphone. I'd probably actually use the software just as much regardless (i.e. hardly ever) so the smartphone would probably be the better choice.

But the money-burning nerd in me is excited for a working Pip Boy, even if the only thing it technically works with is Fallout 4.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sout posted:

How do people feel about the graphics now? I thought it didn't look too bad in motion, but then again I haven't played the Witcher 3 so gently caress me right?

gently caress you, yeah I thought it looked better than the initial trailer

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It looked like you got a vertibird at some point so hopefully they learned their lesson about horse hauling and let us call the pilot to haul our 200 pounds of silverware, plates, super glue and assorted knickknacks back to Shanty Town to turn into gun stocks.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Oh I'm gunna play Fallout 4 but the collector's edition pip-boy is a step too far for me.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Also I wonder if we'll see a traditional dialogue interface mod, with the subtitle text showing up instead of 4 vague prompts. Should be do-able I suppose.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This has been a really rough thread to catch up on. Mostly due to this fact:

code:
Top posters for thread (max 100)
User			Posts
Anime Schoolgirl	125
-crawlkill		118-
Sharkopath		80
Volkerball		71
Generic Monk		70
The reveal itself, wow. I've been kinda feeling all over the place about it. Having my background stated to me kinda sucks, but whatever, I can reconcile it because it really does seem to point one way.

Now, the story has sort of been resting between "are you an android" or "have you been cryogenically frozen". What we've seen so far has led me to conclude only the android part could possibly be the answer, with the android being misled to believe it's been cryogenically frozen for 200 years. First of all, the bomb detonation, which could pass as a bit of a movie flair, but it clearly shows the vault isn't even open and everyone succumbs to the blast, except mysteriously the player character, who had an android built in their image by vault-tec, presumably as part of all these pre-war checkups at their houses. Now it seems likely to me that these are memories implanted then set lose and the big twist is the reveal you were a robot all along.

It just seems cliché just enough for Bethesda and is a perfect repeat of their Fallout 3 questline for the same thing, fake memories and everything. And the pre-war imagery looks a little too perfectly 50's to be real.

So, it doesn't bother me too much, because it strikes me as very typical Vault-tec to assign this gender normality on their projects anyway. Gay couples don't make babies. They need babies to ensure the survival of the human species. That's why New Vegas could get away with more, you weren't in that environment there.

So now I just look forward to building some bases, making some guns and going iron man on the wasteland.

Also, they finally answered the question "what do they eat".

They eat what you grow in your garden.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

#whoa

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for posting what you saw in the trailers and making catching up on the last 10 pages instead of skipping to the end somewhat worthwhile, rinkles.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

This has been a really rough thread to catch up on. Mostly due to this fact:

code:
Top posters for thread (max 100)
User			Posts
Anime Schoolgirl	125
-crawlkill		118-
Sharkopath		80
Volkerball		71
Generic Monk		70
The reveal itself, wow. I've been kinda feeling all over the place about it. Having my background stated to me kinda sucks, but whatever, I can reconcile it because it really does seem to point one way.

Now, the story has sort of been resting between "are you an android" or "have you been cryogenically frozen". What we've seen so far has led me to conclude only the android part could possibly be the answer, with the android being misled to believe it's been cryogenically frozen for 200 years. First of all, the bomb detonation, which could pass as a bit of a movie flair, but it clearly shows the vault isn't even open and everyone succumbs to the blast, except mysteriously the player character, who had an android built in their image by vault-tec, presumably as part of all these pre-war checkups at their houses. Now it seems likely to me that these are memories implanted then set lose and the big twist is the reveal you were a robot all along.

It just seems cliché just enough for Bethesda and is a perfect repeat of their Fallout 3 questline for the same thing, fake memories and everything. And the pre-war imagery looks a little too perfectly 50's to be real.

Endgame plot twist: You're an android and the main villain is the 200 year old ghoul of the person you're a copy of.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm all in favour of Skill Points not being tied to Intelligence, but Intelligence as is seems kinda lame.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Cephalocidal posted:

Endgame plot twist: You're an android and the main villain is the 200 year old ghoul of the person you're a copy of.

I seriously think that would be loving amazing, and that alone would make voiced protag worth it.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Bholder posted:

I seriously think that would be loving amazing, and that alone would make voiced protag worth it.

This would make a lot of people irrationally angry. I don't think Bethesda is that adventurous.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

that's way too smart for bethesda.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
In keeping with Bethesda tradition, their little Fallout iOS game keeps crashing on my iPad.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Also by the looks of it you now have only 21 skill points as opposed to the regular 40(?), but with the abolition of skills I suppose the whole stat balance is changed anyway.

edit: yes I meant stat points.

sout posted:

gently caress me right?

sout fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 15, 2015

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
I hate everyone in this forum

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

PerpetualSelf posted:

I hate everyone in this forum

:justpost:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I just watched the first part of the E3 presentation and I'm really excited. "Next-gen version of Creation" is fine for me. Skyrim was a pretty game and my tolerance for lovely Bethesda animations is pretty high at this point.

It's just amazing to see colors. COLORS! Ahh! Downtown Boston *appears* to be pretty large and dense with interesting features and some verticality.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sout posted:

Also by the looks of it you now have only 21 skill points as opposed to the regular 40(?), but with the abolition of skills I suppose the whole stat balance is changed anyway.

Stat points. Come on.

Anyway, there's still a bobblehead stand with extra slots for non-Stats and a Barter bobblehead so I think we're getting Skyrim style Perk Trees. That's where the Perk Chart button leads to, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
The most shocking revelation to me is learning that Shrinkles and 2 more goons actually don't pick everything that isn't nailed down on a Fallout game.

• Locked thread