Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I'm laughing my rear end off. The g29 appears to be indentical to the g27, but really ugly, shifter removed and it will cost a whopping $534 in Sweden + $79 for the shifter. Meanwhile I got my g27 six months ago for $240, shifter and all. Well done Logitech, not only did you raise the price, but the customer also gets less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably seemed like a good idea in the board room.

"Wait, we spend less money to make a thing, and get to raise the price? That's brilliant!"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Torabi posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off. The g29 appears to be indentical to the g27, but really ugly, shifter removed and it will cost a whopping $534 in Sweden + $79 for the shifter. Meanwhile I got my g27 six months ago for $240, shifter and all. Well done Logitech, not only did you raise the price, but the customer also gets less.

Nu-uh! It's got (half of) an integrated PS4 controller (kind of) — not identical at all! Surely, that has to be worth more than double the money!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

xzzy posted:

Probably seemed like a good idea in the board room.

"Wait, we spend less money to make a thing, and get to raise the price? That's brilliant!"

You know I was looking at this earlier and I was so distracted by how god drat loving ugly it is that I never noticed it didn't have a shifter, that's incredible.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I don't see any reason to believe that the internals are any different either. The base looks identical to my g27, the pedals are the same and in the cutaway it's got the same gear setup as the g27 as well. How they're charging 400 USD for it without a shifter is nuts.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Steam Summer Sale is live. DiRT Rally is 25% off for anyone who's holding out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
G27 is still the best wheel option for PC sim racing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

I'd say to hold out, Early Access games usually go cheaper on a daily deal and I'd bet money that DR's gonna get cheaper at some point in the sale. Wreckfest and F1 2014 are also on sale if you want to smash poo poo or can't wait/won't buy F1 2015.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I wouldn't expect much more of a discount. They've said that the price will rise as they get farther through early access.

That said, I might recommend holding off until the next patch if anyone is on the fence. The force feedback is pretty awful right now but is getting a big rework in the next release.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Anyone have any thoughts on Next Car Game: Wreckfest?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

It's fun but incomplete - the jury is out on whether it will ever get finished. 50% is too low a discount.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The destruction physics are cool but everything else is mediocre. It really should focus more on doing stunts which is where their tech would shine but as it is it's just a boring arcade racer.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

How about Road Redemption? It looks fun, but is it worth the summer sale price?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I know they're Codies and all, but christ those default settings are poo poo. AND they don't want people fiddling with the actual files where there are, you know, settings???

Seem fine to me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bentai posted:

Standard Steam Sale rules apply, never buy something on the normal sale rate until the last day unless you absolutely must have it now. Daily deals and flash sales are the ones to jump on.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Hello, I'm terrible. Which of these games has a visible optimal racing line on the track?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Torabi posted:

I bet they came up with the price by looking at the competition like fanatec and figuring they needed to close that gap, because gently caress it, gears are as good as belts.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Generico posted:

Hello, I'm terrible. Which of these games has a visible optimal racing line on the track?

All the modern sims do if I recall correctly.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

El Generico posted:

Dirt Rally does. Heh. Heheheh.

Monaco :shepicide:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm pretty good with Monaco. Wales is the Devil.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Norns posted:

All the modern sims do if I recall correctly.

Well, they have a racing line. It'll keep you from ditching the car into the railing at least. Optimal? Another matter entirely.. typically the racing lines put you off the pace by several seconds.

What would really get me enthused if a game had HUD elements or track notes to mark the common braking and turn-in points for real world tracks. You can sometimes dig this up with google but the info can be sparse. Just a little overlay marker that points out what the people who actually run the track use.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

El Generico posted:

Stop being terrible and learn the tracks, you will be much faster.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Bentai posted:

I'm pretty good with Monaco. Wales is the Devil.

I can go retard fast through most of the Wales and basically all of the Greece stages, but Monaco makes me want to cry tears of shame. I just can't find out how to go fast on tarmac with a big wall on one side and a radiator-smasher on the other.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

I can go retard fast through most of the Wales and basically all of the Greece stages, but Monaco makes me want to cry tears of shame. I just can't find out how to go fast on tarmac with a big wall on one side and a radiator-smasher on the other.
I have the same issue; I feel much stronger offroad (including icy Monaco areas) being able to tap momentum to my benefit. On the bare tarmac, I feel like even minor errors or going a bit slower as a precaution to prevent murdering my car on the jagged "wall" cost me a lot of time and it's much harder to find a happy medium pace between safely navigating things and putting up competitive times with the strongest AI.

Cojawfee posted:

Agreed. If I wanted to race on the rainbow road, I'd play Mario Kart. :frogc00l:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

bUm posted:

Agreed. If I wanted to race on the rainbow road, I'd play Mario Kart. :frogc00l:
Banana peel magnet spotted.

e: Also, the second event of this Dirt season is up, too!

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 12, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Is there a handy list of Dirt Rally owners? I wanna see more times on the friend board.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The league has a list of members. It's not the handiest, but it's a place to start, I guess.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Thanks, I think I sent about ten invites out using that :)

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Half of racing is knowing when and where to direct your vision and attention. You will never be fast with your vision glued to the computer generated racing line. Turn it off and learn how to look.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I was doing well in the Dirt league rally until I just tipped it over an ice wall on the 3rd stage.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

bUm posted:

I have the same issue; I feel much stronger offroad (including icy Monaco areas) being able to tap momentum to my benefit. On the bare tarmac, I feel like even minor errors or going a bit slower as a precaution to prevent murdering my car on the jagged "wall" cost me a lot of time and it's much harder to find a happy medium pace between safely navigating things and putting up competitive times with the strongest AI.

I too hate Monaco, but from getting to gently caress around on the leaked German tracks for a couple hours I can say that those are the Tarmac stages that we really want, they're amazing fun.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I just want the aligning force on the FFB to exist at all. The more I go back to other racing games, the shorter my tolerance for Dirt Rally grows. Its FFB is impressively bad. Some of the forces are straight up backwards.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just a heads up, if you preorder the CSP v2 pedals from fanatec, you are actually preordering v3 which will come out someday.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just completed a race in the FSR at Laguna... Why the gently caress am I being put in with class A drivers while im in class D ?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jonathan posted:

Just completed a race in the FSR at Laguna... Why the gently caress am I being put in with class A drivers while im in class D ?

Your license level isn't your skill level, it just says what series you're allowed to race in. If an A license driver decides to race in a D license race, they can. Though being an A license means they can't make as many mistakes. So while you could maybe have four off tracks and keep your SR the same, an A license might get two off tracks and lose SR.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Never felt like a game was too hard for me until I got Dirt Rally. Holy Batman on ice skates rally is hard. I'm 5 minutes slower than everybody and my car became 50cm shorter after finishing my first event.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Torabi posted:

Never felt like a game was too hard for me until I got Dirt Rally. Holy Batman on ice skates rally is hard. I'm 5 minutes slower than everybody and my car became 50cm shorter after finishing my first event.

Make your first focus just keeping the car on the road. At the clubman career level I was able to usually place in the top 3 just by not running off the track.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Have they given a date for the (actual) release of the new Germany stages? I'll get another season up for Wednesday, but I don't want it run past whatever that date is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Have they given a date for the (actual) release of the new Germany stages? I'll get another season up for Wednesday, but I don't want it run past whatever that date is.

All the site says is June, they haven't given a concrete date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
While I have some substantial gripes with pCars - as I wrote in the OP there's always at least one car that I'll come back for in any sim...

• Locked thread