Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
You can find a guy in skellige who is very interested in religious books too. He's on an island to the north of the main island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Novigrad is part of the same map as Velen anyway. It's that big city across the river to the north. You can technically go there right now if you do a very quick sidequest, or can be bothered swimming.

Or, you know, get in a boat. The Pontar is totally undefended except for a couple border posts near Novigrad and Oxenfurt.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Great, that's what I was hoping was happening.

Thanks for the advice re: jewlery and such, the "magic" classifier on them gave me pause.

For the books, I had heard that there was some book seller in Novigrad that would give full price for 'em? It's probably not worth waiting that long with all this poo poo? I tried to go there first instead of Velen but the game wouldn't even let me select the region.

As others have said, Novigrad isn't a separate overworld map area, it's the huge city in the north-central part of the map. You can go there directly if you want, just be careful at night and in back alleys since there are thugs and bandits who will attack you and they're level 10-12 or so as I recall. Novigrad quests are a good break from exploring Velen: Pesant Misery Simulator if you like.

I wouldn't bother keeping books. Money isn't too hard to come by. Generally you should keep maybe 3-4 of each monster part (sell excess), metals and gems are the rarest and most expensive crafting reagents usually. Stuff like dark steel, meteorite, silver, dimetrium ingots are worth keeping as well as gems and gem dusts. Most everything else you can sell, leathers and herbs are cheap and easy to get off vendors or farm.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. I wound up swimming myself. Fun bit, spoilers regarding passes:

-If you try to cross the bridge, you get the None Shall Pass quest to get a, er, pass.
-If you do the monster contract for the officer, he'll give you a pass if you rat out the Scoia'tael. If you don't you get nothing.
-If you Axii the counterfeiter for the discount but don't buy it, then do his quest, but wind up having his brother in law gets killed (very possible, especially if you come here a bit underleveled), he won't sell you a pass at all.
-So now you're locked out of completing that quest until you complete the Baron's storyline. At which point you can ride up, hand it over, and finally get that quest out of your list

Swimming/boat is probably the easiest though. You WILL get shot at if you try to swim next to the bridge, which is a nice touch.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 15, 2015

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

I would say most certainly, keyboard play requires a lot of finger gymnastics (for example, the dodge roll is on alt by default). Outside of the crossbow and aimed bomb throws, you don't need precise aiming, so the precision of a mouse really isn't necessary.

You can just double tap W/A/S/D to dodge...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. I wound up swimming myself. Fun bit, spoilers regarding passes:

-If you try to cross the bridge, you get the None Shall Pass quest to get a, er, pass.
-If you do the monster contract for the officer, he'll give you a pass if you rat out the Scoia'tael. If you don't you get nothing.
-If you Axii the counterfeiter for the discount, don't but it then but still do his quest, and then his brother in law gets killed (very possible, especially if you come here a bit underleveled), he won't sell you a pass at all.
-So now you're locked out of completing that quest until you complete the Baron's storyline. At which point you can ride up, hand it over, and finally get that quest out of your list

Swimming/boat is probably the easiest though. You WILL get shot at if you try to swim next to the bridge, which is a nice touch.

The brother's quest is near impossible if you do it at low level because he'll just die in one or two hits and there are way too many monsters for you to manage and you can't kill them quickly enough when you first arrive in Velen.

Even at a higher level I'd bet that's a tricky quest.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I didn't have any issue with that one, I noticed that the monsters all came from the same direction so I just stood there and fought them as they spawned so they wouldn't get near the guy, who helpfully stayed near the middle of the area.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I didn't have any issue with that one, I noticed that the monsters all came from the same direction so I just stood there and fought them as they spawned so they wouldn't get near the guy, who helpfully stayed near the middle of the area.

I did the same thing, only the monsters ignored me and went straight for the brother :negative:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

Spoiler this poo poo. Come on.

Edit

Did it for you.

Sorry. I figured it was common knowledge at this point and it didn't spoil any quests, just fluff and lore.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How long does it take for a Person in Distress to show up at their new location once rescued?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ravenfood posted:

How long does it take for a Person in Distress to show up at their new location once rescued?

You can follow them back, but rule of thumb is 24 hours.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
For how amazing it is, I'm suprised by how under rated this game is ny the press

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Magni posted:

It can be kinda useful for other fights once you're high level enough to use explosive bolts. They have a good chance to set a dude on fire and take him out of the fight momentarily.

Note: if you've got points in things that increase condition/burning damage catching yourself in the blast radius of an explosive bolt is a death sentence. With the right build a single tick is enough to kill you instantly.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

For how amazing it is, I'm suprised by how under rated this game is ny the press

Yeah, a 93 on metacritic screams underrated.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Requesting help. I was doing the Wild at heart side quest and I found the werewolf but bailed on him because he was regenerating too quickly. I've since gotten the moondust bombs to go back and lay a beat down on his dog rear end. Trouble is, there is no more quest marker on the map. I don't even get an objective distance indicator on my hud, I've been running around Blackbough trying to find the lair but I can't. This is kind of a problem that the developers missed.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Beastie posted:

Requesting help. I was doing the Wild at heart side quest and I found the werewolf but bailed on him because he was regenerating too quickly. I've since gotten the moondust bombs to go back and lay a beat down on his dog rear end. Trouble is, there is no more quest marker on the map. I don't even get an objective distance indicator on my hud, I've been running around Blackbough trying to find the lair but I can't. This is kind of a problem that the developers missed.
West of Heatherton and the Abandoned Tower, at a marker labeled Isolated Shack. The werewolf is in the caves beneath the hut.

You can see where I mean at the top of this map here: http://www.gamingpcforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2851139-witchermap1.png

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is it possible to save the sheep in the Dragon contract?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Is it possible to save the sheep in the Dragon contract?
Yeah.

Edit: Wolf School yessssssss

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

that triss dlc is out there

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Triss will be wearing that while walking the streets of Novigrad? I'm not sure if a hood would be enough to hide the fact that she is a sorceress anymore...

Wolf Gear! :toot:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Sexy Wolf Gear is all we ever wanted.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

WOLF. GEAR. :toot: :black101:
How are the stats on it?

Also, just...lol at that Triss look. I mean, really? At least Yen's is still somewhat practical. She looks like she robbed Ciaran's robe from the Flotsam forest.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wonder what Wolf gear will focus on, since we already have Signs, quick attacks, and heavy attacks/adrenaline

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Calaveron posted:

Wonder what Wolf gear will focus on, since we already have Signs, quick attacks, and heavy attacks/adrenaline

Alchemy bonuses? Are there any gears that increase your max toxicity or potion/bomb intensity?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Calaveron posted:

More importantly, what does it look like?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

It'll basically be a gimp suit where you upgrade the number of chains and surface of exposed skin.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
way to keep a low profile, Redania's Second Most Wanted

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

More importantly, what does it look like?

The earlier DLC armor sets have been some of the best looking gear in the game, so hopefully Wolf armor(s) will continue that trend.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Honestly, if it builds off the starting armor aesthetic, I'll be happy. Those were some good looking threads. (well, mailed wire, anyway)

Edit: VVV if it does build off that it'll be medium armor, so the same "class" as Griffin.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Well there's only light medium and heavy armor, so it's gonna be one of those.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol as if Triss and the other sorceress' don't already look like Polish hookers

Wolf gear is cool though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Poland must have some pretty high-class hookers.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're high class because they have a ton of make up and wear clothes with necklines that go down to their waist?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Scandalous posted:

West of Heatherton and the Abandoned Tower, at a marker labeled Isolated Shack. The werewolf is in the caves beneath the hut.

You can see where I mean at the top of this map here: http://www.gamingpcforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2851139-witchermap1.png

Thanks a bunch.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Triss will be wearing that while walking the streets of Novigrad? I'm not sure if a hood would be enough to hide the fact that she is a sorceress anymore...

It's a clever plan, they only have posters of her face and no one will be looking at it

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Ahhhh Novigrad being part of the map makes much more sense, and I was wondering about that anyway. It just seemed so weird that it kept going to the Velen map to me.

Time to go there and get rich off all this alternative currency I have lying around.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Broke up with Yen (thank god) and am now lovin Triss full time. Can't wait for that sweet titty DLC.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Broke up with Yen (thank god) and am now lovin Triss full time. Can't wait for that sweet titty DLC.

I didn't, but changed my mind later, assumed "it takes three to tango" that I'd read about, but not in detail, was simply a confrontation where they forced you to choose one of them.
So now I have to go through that humiliating thing and then end up alone. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Ahhhh Novigrad being part of the map makes much more sense, and I was wondering about that anyway. It just seemed so weird that it kept going to the Velen map to me.

Time to go there and get rich off all this alternative currency I have lying around.

Specifically there's only one place you can exchange currency, the dwarf banker at the SW corner of Hierarch Square, pretty central.

I also envy you a little doing Novigrad for the first time!