Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Stultus Maximus posted:

No, caffeine is not mentioned. Mormonism prohibits "wine, strong drink, tobacco, and hot drink"

The LDS authorities have decided that hot drink refers specifically and exclusively to coffee and tea.

Wait, they're allowed to drink beer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
What was the reason behind hot drink if any?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You know, if any of the Presidential candidates were yearning for a beverage with frothed cream, you'd think it'd be Santorum.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Well the top response at mormon.org says

quote:

This is a question that people ask us as missionaries quite a bit. A lot of people are looking for a specific answer such as "because they contain caffeine" or "because they are addictive", but the real answer is, we do not drink coffee, tea, or alcohol, because our Heavenly Father has commanded it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Reminds me of this scene from Futurama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPopSBUpQ_4

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hot water scalds away the runes on the magical underwear perhaps? Can we defeat Mormonism once and for all with skin-melting hot McDs coffee?!?!??!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Politcs has always sucked.
And for those who missed this last month: YEEEAAAAHHH!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Literally everything for all seriously religious people boils down to "because God said so", Mormons aren't unique in that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Talmonis posted:

"Latte sipping liberal" has been a conservative pejorative for a while now. They usually insinuate that it's somehow effeminate and unmanly.

I understand that, I'm wondering how it can be a conservative perjorative when they're literally more common than McDonalds and patronized by people with much higher incomes. Is milk for fags or something?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

so it sounds like you can't get around it with a frappuccino or iced tea or whatever

that god is a tricky sonofabitch

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alien Arcana posted:

Wait, they're allowed to drink beer?

"Strong drink" is currently defined as any alcoholic beverage. This wasn't always the case, but the Temperance movement of the 19th century (that eventually led to the Prohibition) led to an eventual ban on alcohol altogether instead of merely distilled liquors like whiskey.

quote:

I understand that, I'm wondering how it can be a conservative perjorative when they're literally more common than McDonalds and patronized by people with much higher incomes. Is milk for fags or something?

A major Republican identity in politics is being "That down-home guy you can sit down and have a beer with at the local barbecue." They try to present themselves as an American everyman, someone who works hard and wears flannel and jeans and drinks Budweiser. There's also a trend to believe in "good ol' common sense" instead of science and to even discourage school learning in favor of "common sense" and the redneck equivalent of street smarts.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 15, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

They weren't more common than McDonald's 30 loving years ago when the stereotype was developed. You are wayyyy overthinking it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Radbot posted:

Those are the same people who use the phrase "liberal elite"?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xSyVjkSib4

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

this is the greatest ad

100% pure spite

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nintendo Kid posted:

They weren't more common than McDonald's 30 loving years ago when the stereotype was developed. You are wayyyy overthinking it.

Yeah, just remember Mitt is over seventy and he's about average age for a Republican voter.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DOOP posted:

this is the greatest ad

100% pure spite

We're mad because our beer isn't enjoyed beyond the alcohol. :qq:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

In the good old republican tradition they aired that ad two weeks after buying a brewery that makes a pumpkin peach ale

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "When you see her on a stage or when she comes into a room full of people, she's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know, 'Where's my latte?'" ~ Mitt Romney, on Hillary Clinton.

the asinine fluidity of that statement appeals to me.  It's construction highlights how hollow it is, that you can twist and drop anything you want in there.

She's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know,  'Kill All Men'

She's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know,  'jet fuel can't melt steel beams'

She's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know,  'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.'

She's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know, 'the Lannisters send their regards'

Also, LOL at Romney calling someone else an empty and soulless phoney

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that The campaign slogan of Ulysses S Grant was "Vote as you shot" which is probably the most awesome slogan this country will ever see

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, just remember Mitt is over seventy and he's about average age for a Republican voter.

68, actually. With enough work on his face to make him look like an audio-animatronic from the 1970s.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Rhesus Pieces posted:

California's drought has reached the point where water usage restrictions and rationing are being enforced. Unsurprisingly, rich Californians don't think the rules should apply to them, purely because they're rich.

"“It angers me because people aren’t looking at the overall picture,” Butler said. “What are we supposed to do, just have dirt around our house on four acres?”"

YES, you dumb motherfucker!! It's called succulents and cacti and not blue grass lawns and rose gardens. gently caress off and suck up, Jesus Christ!!

E: can you tell I am a super angry California resident that hasn't showered lately

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Radbot posted:

Yes. It's basically "what, you're too much of a pussy to drink black coffee???" and often coupled with imagery of cowboys around a campfire.

edit: not 100% the same thing, but it's in the similar vein of "sensitive = queer"

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 15, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How to make cowboy coffee: boil water in can on open fire. Chuck some coffee grounds in that bitch. Drink it, grounds and all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Radbot posted:

You're talking about a demographic that tried to make a big deal out of preferring mustard over ketchup. Yes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

By the way the SCOTUS ruled against North Carolina on their "ultrasounds before abortions" law

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's super lame. Straight up, Ezra Taft Benson said it's because hot drinks gently caress up your stomach lining, leading to health problems. Caffeine is a stimulant and highly addictive, and unpredictable in a family who doesn't indulge. Tobacco and nicotine is addictive and Emily Smith hating cleaning dip off of the church floor. Masturbating constantly makes it harder for your wife to please you.

This is why the church doesn't talk about Ezra, I think. That's basically common sense without involving God in some dumb way.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

the asinine fluidity of that statement appeals to me.  It's construction highlights how hollow it is, that you can twist and drop anything you want in there.

She's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know,  'Kill All Men'

She's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know,  'jet fuel can't melt steel beams'

She's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know,  'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.'

She's smiling with her mouth, but her eyes are saying, you know, 'the Lannisters send their regards'

Also, LOL at Romney calling someone else an empty and soulless phoney

Fried Chicken posted:

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that The campaign slogan of Ulysses S Grant was "Vote as you shot" which is probably the most awesome slogan this country will ever see

somebody follows Jamelle Bouie on Twitter!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

How to make cowboy coffee: boil water in can on open fire. Chuck some coffee grounds in that bitch. Drink it, grounds and all.

Real cowboy coffee is awesome when someone knows how to make it property, though methods vary. A sock, cold water settling, egg shells, egg whites, etc are good for minimizing the grounds in your teeth and avoid it tasting like burnt acid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

By the way the SCOTUS ruled against North Carolina on their "ultrasounds before abortions" law

Were those the transvaginal ones?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fried Chicken posted:

If Hillary ended a speech with this, I would drop everything and volunteer for her right away

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Quote of the Day: "My core beliefs start with the premise that the most vulnerable in our society should be in the front of the line and not the back...What we need is new leadership that takes conservative principles and applies them so that people can rise up." (Jeb Bush)

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

mlmp08 posted:

Real cowboy coffee is awesome when someone knows how to make it property, though methods vary. A sock, cold water settling, egg shells, egg whites, etc are good for minimizing the grounds in your teeth and avoid it tasting like burnt acid.

Cowboy coffee after a night of getting wasted in the woods is the best coffee you'll ever have. Try to make it at home on any ol day and it'll be the worst coffee you ever made. Yes worse than Yuban filtered with a paper towel because you forgot you ran out of filters.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Were those the transvaginal ones?

Nah, it was a law that required doctors to describe the ultrasound image of the fetus to the woman in order to obtain "informed consent" for the abortion. Circuit court held this violated doctors' First Amendment rights, SCOTUS denied cert, letting the decision stand.

edit:

Grey Fox posted:

8-1, no less, with the ever-classy Scalia dissenting.

aghhh

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 15, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

8-1, no less, with the ever-classy Scalia dissenting.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder, Mittens also doesn't know what doughnuts are.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

Cowboy coffee after a night of getting wasted in the woods is the best coffee you'll ever have. Try to make it at home on any ol day and it'll be the worst coffee you ever made. Yes worse than Yuban filtered with a paper towel because you forgot you ran out of filters.

The cowboy coffee I had was legit delicious, but it was prepared by a history teacher/reenactor who specializes in cooking delicious food using old west equipment and techniques. He made some fantastic biscuits, gravy, eggs, and coffee.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

somebody follows Jamelle Bouie on Twitter!

Comics, recipes, and politics - there is no reason not to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Idgi. I mean, is he saying "vote for me, because you were shooting at me?"

DOOP posted:

If Hillary ended a speech with this, I would drop everything and volunteer for her right away

Same. Hillary/Cthulu 2016
Republicans will say her being president will lead to chaos and they'll be right!

Grouchio posted:

Quote of the Day: "My core beliefs start with the premise that the most vulnerable in our society should be in the front of the line and not the back...What we need is new leadership that takes conservative principles and applies them so that people can rise up." (Jeb Bush)
"Jeb's soundin' like some kinda hippy human being."

• Locked thread