Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

raditts posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about Mutant Mudds, do they? It brings back the worst things about early 90s platformers to me.

Freedom Planet kind of reminds me of Jazz Jackrabbit, might just be what looks like rabbits + Sonic style gameplay.

The other stuff looks like typical standard indie game fare, but I'll give them a try at least.

Except Runbow, that game looks cool as hell and I've been waiting to play that one for a long time.

Mutant Mudds is completely unremarkable but it's not terrible or anything and it's far and away their best-selling game so I'm not surprised they're making more. They're doing a second discount for people who own the first game plus Wii U/3DS cross-buy so whatever, if you want more Mudds stages for cheap you're about to get 'em.

Freedom Planet is deceptively well-made; it's packed with a ton of embarrassing furry melodrama and the character designs are deviantart as all hell but it feels very authentic to the classic Sonic games but with a bunch of extra stuff cribbed from Konami and Treasure. If they'd gone with a less offputting aesthetic they'd have received a ton more attention, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Mutant Muds works great as a platformer for an iPhone because it's so basic

Zonekeeper posted:

There will probably be some sort of rating system, so even if 90% of the uploaded levels are complete poo poo the best ones should be easy to find.

I hope so... The worst part about the LBP community was how much poo poo it had because of the loving achievements of building levels and getting hearts. There was a point where a good portion of the levels were "heart 4 heart!" on them.

You had to resort to lists online of some dudes curated levels and type in all the titles manually using the lovely on screen keyboard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Mutant Muds works great as a platformer for an iPhone because it's so basic

I hope so... The worst part about the LBP community was how much poo poo it had because of the loving achievements of building levels and getting hearts. There was a point where a good portion of the levels were "heart 4 heart!" on them.

You had to resort to lists online of some dudes curated levels and type in all the titles manually using the lovely on screen keyboard.

That's essentially what the newest Mario vs DK is, so hopefully there's no system of points you need to unlock buildables in this.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

After watching the episode of Game Center CX that showed off Mario Maker (get it here), my eight-year-old son, who had previously vaguely wanted a Wii U, went into full-bore "I MUST HAVE THIS" mode. One last semester of fantastic grades and one refurbished console later, here we are. Now to wait for (Super) Mario Maker to be released. Meanwhile, he's beaten SM3DW and is back to farting around in Super Mario X on the PC. I'll have to show him the new Mario Maker footage from E3.

He's excited about Yoshi's Woolly World, but we're disappointed by how much it looks and sounds like Kirby's Epic Yarn (which he thoroughly enjoyed). I mean, even the music and the sound- and visual effects when you unravel an enemy are extremely similar.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

raditts posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about Mutant Mudds, do they? It brings back the worst things about early 90s platformers to me.

Freedom Planet kind of reminds me of Jazz Jackrabbit, might just be what looks like rabbits + Sonic style gameplay.

The other stuff looks like typical standard indie game fare, but I'll give them a try at least.

Except Runbow, that game looks cool as hell and I've been waiting to play that one for a long time.

Behind Mutant Mudds, Runbow was the next most generic looking one on that list. I could be completely wrong, but it looks like a less complex Speedrunners with Guacamelee art style and online capabilities.

Rive looks like an awesome shump with really good production values.

Soul Axiom looks like a non-combat FPS with really good art direction (I have bias towards physics based FPS games, I just love them).

Freedom Planet looks like the Sonic game that everyone has wanted to exist since the mid 90's.

Typoman just looks plain awesome. Reminds me of Braid or Limbo with a really cool and novel mechanic of using words to solve puzzles.

Forma.8, I can see going in either direction. It could be really cool or it could be the same thing in its genre with a more colorful art style.

Lovely Planet just looks the like most ridiculous and fun game on that list, and I can definitely see people speed running the hell out of it.

Extreme Exorcism I could see taking the spot of Spelunky as the game me and my friends play when we get together.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Almost all of the "Nindies @Home" are, from what I've seen, worth at least a run-through with a demo. I'm really excited for RIVE and Forma.8, in particular. The OP has been updated to include the graphic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's been known forever and repeated like 20 times in yesterdays stream.

I literally asked this exact question in this thread and got the opposite answer so

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I literally asked this exact question in this thread and got the opposite answer so

Basically old footage showed Mario World with the cape, Mario 3 with the run meter and NSMBU style wall kicking and groundpounding. None of the other styles ever did what the others could do and that somehow turned into "i dunno guys maybe they just didn't feel like it" was the answer. Then that japanese stream came around with Miyamoto playing Arino's levels in Mario 1 where once again none of the stuff from the later games happened. "I dunno guys maybe he just didn't feel like it" happened again.

It's been known for awhile, people just wanted it spelled out which happened yesterday.

Also get Freedom Planet if you can, the story is schlock but you can turn it off and the game itself is goddamn outstanding. It's literally Gunstar Heroes meets Sonic.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

majormonotone posted:

Super Mario Maker will be a full, $60 retail title (allegedly)
Is this the "Amazon-listed-it-at-$60-as-a-placeholder" kind of allegedly?

e; I know SMB1 physics from SMW and NSMB physics, they're very obviously tailored to each game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd say Mario Maker being the full $60 is a very safe bet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I can easily see it at $60, but would not be surprised if they gave it the Rainbow Curse and Treasure Tracker price of $40

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I am certain Mario Maker will be the full $60, Nintendo is likely aware that they are giving away the crown jewels by just wholesale making available all the old Mario mechanics in a form which will likely never go out of style. They would have to work very very hard to ever motivate making another 2D Mario game over just adding some more levels and perhaps a DLC feature or two to Mario Maker.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

On the other hand, they can actually produce dlc for it. I'll still pay whatever they ask but I hope there's a robust campaign built in and maybe two player support.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The truly sad thing is that I would very easily have no problem buying DLC that was just the levels from previous Mario games.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
I think it's pretty likely we're going to get a bunch of pre-built levels that you can use as a starter for your own stuff, probably about a world of each game type. Then we'll almost definitely get the NWC courses as well.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I am certain Mario Maker will be the full $60, Nintendo is likely aware that they are giving away the crown jewels by just wholesale making available all the old Mario mechanics in a form which will likely never go out of style. They would have to work very very hard to ever motivate making another 2D Mario game over just adding some more levels and perhaps a DLC feature or two to Mario Maker.

I dunno. It lacks any sort method to compose music and, as far as I'm aware, also lacks any other tools for asset creation beyond SFX. Mario Maker's biggest advantage over any other level creation tool I've seen is that it appears to be, by far, the most streamlined and that it has four different gameplay styles. These are big things, but they're not sixty bucks big things, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay that much for an environment where I'm unable to take advantage of one of my stronger skills.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd say it's unlikely to be £45 in the UK, but then it's Mario. Even if the RRP isn't £45, everywhere will sell it for £45.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The majority of levels are going to be trash and it's going to be so difficult to slog through the bad user created levels to find the good ones that it will never take the place of a Nintendo created 2D Mario game. People are still going to want to have a "full" game of Nintendo caliber level design with a beginning and end, and downloading individual levels will never over take that.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Hirayuki posted:

He's excited about Yoshi's Woolly World, but we're disappointed by how much it looks and sounds like Kirby's Epic Yarn (which he thoroughly enjoyed). I mean, even the music and the sound- and visual effects when you unravel an enemy are extremely similar.

Now I'm wondering why the hell they haven't made a Yoshi & Kirby team-up game, or like a Yoshi Vs. Kirby eating contest type thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Late last year they mentioned it possibly being $50 (or even $40) but this isn't Mario Maker anymore, it's SUPER MARIO MAKER and has lots of hype so I'd be surprised if it's not $59.99.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Whatever the price, I bet it will come packaged with 8-bit Mario Amiibo.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
HOLY poo poo, XBOX ONE HAS A RARE COLLECTION THAT INCLUDES 30 GAMES.

The reason I am saying this in the Wii U thread is that one of those 30 is BLAST CORPS.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

The truly sad thing is that I would very easily have no problem buying DLC that was just the levels from previous Mario games.

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before some mastersperg creates every level from each of the games in perfect detail.
It looks like they're just individual levels though, we haven't seen anything so far to suggest you can create a "campaign" with a world map and all that stuff. But if you could and it let you make something on the level of Newer Super Mario Bros it would totally be worth $60. As it is, as cool as it looks I think I'll probably hold off until Black Friday assuming it comes out before then.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 15, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fremry posted:

The reason I am saying this in the Wii U thread is that one of those 30 is BLAST CORPS.

They've basically thrown everything made by Rare pre-Kinect onto one disc, which sadly includes Kameo.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Fremry posted:

Yeah it kinda does put the whole VC pricing schematics into question.

Though all those Rare games being thrown in there does kinda feel like they feel there's not as much value in them anymore. All the 360 games in particular being included as well I mean, why is the first Viva Pinata even in the collection? Trouble in Paradise is pretty much an ultimate version of pinata inbreeding and chaos already.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

njsykora posted:

They've basically thrown everything made by Rare pre-Kinect onto one disc, which sadly includes Kameo.
I enjoyed Kameo.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ultigonio posted:

I enjoyed Kameo.

Same, the ironic thing is that before Horse Armor symbolically heralded the age of lame DLC on consoles Kameo actually had pretty reasonable prices for the DLC in that game. It even had a free skin pack featuring skins gamers of all ages designed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah it kinda does put the whole VC pricing schematics into question.

Take the 1 or 2 games that people want to play, package them with 28 other games people don't want, and charge them more money than what they'd pay for the games they want al la cart?

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
One man's desperate bid for relevance is another man's good deal.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

njsykora posted:

It's missing Rare's greatest game, Anticipation

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Astro7x posted:

Take the 1 or 2 games that people want to play, package them with 28 other games people don't want, and charge them more money than what they'd pay for the games they want al la cart?

Yeah but, I just know people are already going on about how Rare/MS are putting their entire history (albeit with an Ape shaped hole) into one criterion-esque collection while Mother 1 costs seven dollars just because it can. I mean I understand both sides.

Also I wonder if Perfect Dark HD will be updated to remove Molyneux's head now that he's no longer at the MS family.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ultigonio posted:

I dunno. It lacks any sort method to compose music and, as far as I'm aware, also lacks any other tools for asset creation beyond SFX. Mario Maker's biggest advantage over any other level creation tool I've seen is that it appears to be, by far, the most streamlined and that it has four different gameplay styles. These are big things, but they're not sixty bucks big things, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay that much for an environment where I'm unable to take advantage of one of my stronger skills.
Actually it's biggest advantage is that you can do things like giant Bowser stacks and Cheep Cheep cannons and ride in a Koopa Clown Car while wearing a stiletto version of Kuribo's shoe

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Actually it's biggest advantage is that you can do things like giant Bowser stacks and Cheep Cheep cannons and ride in a Koopa Clown Car while wearing a stiletto version of Kuribo's shoe
Streamlining, like I said (Kuribo's heel notwithstanding).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If that rare collection has jet force gemini I might actually buy an xbox one.

Will mario maker not have ANY nintendo-made levels to start with? I just want some sorta something to work with, here.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Narcissus1916 posted:

If that rare collection has jet force gemini I might actually buy an xbox one.

You have Rare-induced brain damage.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I feel like this is an obvious question, but whats to stop someone from making recreations of every 2d mario ever? And sort of related, but can you do air/autoscroll levels?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fooley posted:

I feel like this is an obvious question, but whats to stop someone from making recreations of every 2d mario ever? And sort of related, but can you do air/autoscroll levels?

They're probably missing very specific assets like, say, Chargin' Chucks for Super Mario World. I also doubt that you can make autoscroller levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Alxprit posted:

I also doubt that you can make autoscroller levels.

I like the idea that Super Mario Maker is a $60 application that's less useful than Lunar Magic.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Slow autoscrolling levels are the worst part of 2D platformers though except for maybe non-Rayman water levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Super Mario Maker has game of the year potential. I'm assuming Nintendo will ship it with a campaign. I wonder if it can do multiplayer. Even if it only lets you do it in NSMB mode, that'd be awesome. That would kick a chaotic level up several more notches.

• Locked thread