Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rape is not a good or funny joke

hope this helps you all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I hope the 'charging crit bar' thing only affects VATS. Let the player get random crits outside of VATS and in VATS they use their crit charge to get predictable bursts of damage.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eonwe posted:

hope this helps you all

True.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5iowfsgiDs

the microsoft gameplay. laser muskets!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Eonwe posted:

hope this helps you all

yeah please stop using it to describe loving videogames. get some class. hell, get some imagination.

like idk 'fallout 4 does to the series what repeatedly pummelling your nuts with a meat tenderiser does to your fertility' or something

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 15, 2015

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Stop. I can only get so erect.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm super happy the dog will have a tackle attack, the dogs companion in Fallout 3 and NV always felt useless to use

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope you can name the dog yourself.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

I'm super happy the dog will have a tackle attack, the dogs companion in Fallout 3 and NV always felt useless to use

it's mildly disconcerting how every game dog is trained to rip throats out in the same ridic brutal way

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

Dogmeat in 3 was p indestructible though, I went in some office building and he rounded the corner barking then came flying through the air back out of the doorway on-fire (apparently he ate a direct hit from a rocket or something) and slammed into the far wall and I was like "oh man my dog's dead"

He wasn't dead. He still had most of his HP.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Generic Monk posted:

it's mildly disconcerting how every game dog is trained to rip throats out in the same ridic brutal way

You're right, they should grab knives and shank a bitch. They're already halfway there with that "fetch" mechanic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azhais posted:

You're right, they should grab knives and shank a bitch. They're already halfway there with that "fetch" mechanic.

Strap a power fist to a front paw.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I hope you can name the dog yourself.

Same. Dogmeat is played out.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Day 1 DLC: Dog Armor and Customization

sout
Apr 24, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Strap a power fist to a front paw.

I'm going to buy my dog two Collector's Edition Pipboys

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Same. Dogmeat is played out.

Also this is possible, because he's called "Dog" when he is approached in the trailer and "Dogmeat" in another gameplay section.
I hope the robots also have my dog's name pre-recorded too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

yeah please stop using it to describe loving videogames. get some class. hell, get some imagination.

like idk 'fallout 4 does to the series what repeatedly pummelling your nuts with a meat tenderiser does to your fertility' or something

Okay, Fallout 4 is like having some rear end in a top hat put their quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber repeatedly against your will. Nothing but constant parabolic destabilization of the fission singularities all the way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Volkerball posted:

they said that your character was the lone survivor from the vault. his family could still be alive through some technicality i suppose, but that doesn't seem like it leaves a lot of wiggle room.
Fallout 3 starts with an omniscient narrator lying to you. So, I feel like I have a good deal of wiggle room.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sout posted:

Also this is possible, because he's called "Dog" when he is approached in the trailer and "Dogmeat" in another gameplay section.

Yeah, that he's just called "Dog" gave me some hope that maybe you could type in his name, and he could be Rover, or King, or the name of your childhood pet.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Okay, Fallout 4 is like having some rear end in a top hat put their quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber repeatedly against your will. Nothing but constant parabolic destabilization of the fission singularities all the way.

that's better

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I wonder if there will be an option to turn the character voice off. Not that it sounds bad at all, but sometimes the voice doesn't fit the character you're making (or you're playing again and the voice has already embedded itself as belonging to another character).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The dog is cool and all and the crafting is cool but

can I have a dog with a laser beam strapped to its head?

graynull posted:

I wonder if there will be an option to turn the character voice off. Not that it sounds bad at all, but sometimes the voice doesn't fit the character you're making (or you're playing again and the voice has already embedded itself as belonging to another character).

If there isn't there will be a mod for it in a few days after release probably.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

graynull posted:

Fallout has typically had multiple audio sliders so I would suspect so. Also it sounds like you can view conversations in first person too if you don't want to see your guy's dumb face.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sout posted:

I hope they recorded "Dickbutt" as a name

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

They should have some laser fence thing in the game so your dog can run through it and die. A true Fallout experience.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That sounds pretty painful

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So about that modding on the xbox thing.
I can't help but wonder if Bethesda actually thought that through. The biggest problem with Skyrim's Steam Workshop was that it tried to present modding Skyrim as a one-click-and-you're-done affair. This just isn't true. A mod user has to take care of a mod's dependencies, compatibility, set a proper load order, etc. This is also one of the core problems with any pay-for-mods scheme for any Bethesda game.
Despite claiming they're all about modding, Bethesda seems to be content to just sit back after releasing a toolset and let the modding community take care everything else that makes modding work. It wasn't until Skyrim that Bethesda implemented their own Loadorder manager and even then it was still a half-assed piece of poo poo compared to what the modding community made.

The only way I can see this working is if Bethesda releases selected mods that they've checked to be working properly and be compatible with each other as free DLC on the console, or something like that.
That or Bethesda has to seriously overhaul how modding their games work.

frajaq posted:

Day 1 DLC: Dog Armor and Customization
I'm not going to lie: I would pay for doggy power armour.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

this sure is some fancy rapin'

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah? Up yours too, buddy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raygereio posted:

I can't help but wonder if Bethesda actually thought that through. The biggest problem with Skyrim's Steam Workshop was that it tried to present modding Skyrim as a one-click-and-you're-done affair. This just isn't true. A mod user has to take care of a mod's dependencies, compatibility, set a proper load order, etc. This is also one of the core problems with any pay-for-mods scheme for any Bethesda game.
Despite claiming they're all about modding, Bethesda seems to be content to just sit back after releasing a toolset and let the modding community take care everything else that makes modding work. It wasn't until Skyrim that Bethesda implemented their own Loadorder manager and even then it was still a half-assed piece of poo poo compared to what the modding community made.

The only way I can see this working is if Bethesda releases selected mods that they've checked to be working properly and be compatible with each other as free DLC on the console, or something like that.

I'm not going to lie: I would pay for doggy power armour.

there is no way they aren't going to vet mods on a console before they do it

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Count Canuckula posted:

See I'm okay with this. It sucked having to scour the wasteland looking for ammo for plasma weapons and only finding laser weapon ammo for the first half of the game- Then it becomes the opposite for the other half.

Alternate ammos were cool though as you could create different ammo packages to meet some reqs like less wear and tear or higher damage or all kinds of crazy stuff for grenade launchers.

Hopefully this could be modded back in.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 15, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

They really made Power Armor look and feel like it's heavy as gently caress and strong enough that you can totally buy the US thinking that a hundred of them could pacify China. I like it.

Not specifically related to F4 itself, but am I the only one who thinks the "Most of the Vaults were just social experiments" line dropped in 2 (iirc) was kinda stupid? My favorite Vaults were ones that failed because of some mundane reason combined with whatever got in, not "Well we wondered what would happen if we only put one woman inside!" ones. Here and there one of those is fine, but such a strong through-line didn't work for me.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 15, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Raygereio posted:

bleh it'll be fine for the vast, vast majority of uses; most people won't use it at all and those that do will probably only add a few little things. regardless the mods probably get vetted and they've likely done some optimizations to make it stable, or at least restirct the more dangerous functions.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

They really made Power Armor look and feel like it's heavy as gently caress and strong enough that you can totally buy the US wanting a hundred of 'em to fight China. I like it.

Not specifically related to F4 itself, but am I the only one who thinks the "Most of the Vaults were just social experiments" line dropped in 2 (iirc) was kinda stupid? My favorite Vaults were ones that failed because of some mundane reason combined with whatever got in, not "Well we wondered what would happen if we only put one woman inside!" ones. Here and there one of those is fine, but such a strong through-line didn't work for me.

Yes, it's a quick gag that screws with the long-term plausibility of the setting.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hey, in the Xbox video he mentioned that they made a "second screen experience that mimics the pipboy on your smartphone, it works amazing."

So, is that that game they're releasing on iOS/Android right now, or are they actually adding support to control your pipboy via your smartphone while you're playing?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Count Canuckula posted:

Plot Twist: Boston is a Plane of Oblivion

How is that a plot twist at all? Everybody already knows that.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

SubNat posted:

Hey, in the Xbox video he mentioned that they made a "second screen experience that mimics the pipboy on your smartphone, it works amazing."

So, is that that game they're releasing on iOS/Android right now, or are they actually adding support to control your pipboy via your smartphone while you're playing?

They announced last night that smartphones will be getting an app when the game releases that allows your phone to connect over wifi to the game and act as your PipBoy.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

They announced last night that smartphones will be getting an app when the game releases that allows your phone to connect over wifi to the game and act as your PipBoy.

also if you pay massively over the odds you get a cheap plastic pipboy you can put your phone in

khy
Aug 15, 2005

oblomov posted:

Alternate ammos were cool though as you could create different ammo packages to meet some rews line less wear and tear or higher damage or all kinds of vlxrazy stuff for grenade launchers.

Hopefully this could be modded back in.

Man gently caress those rews they were awful. I hate all rews line all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

SubNat posted:

They are two separate things. The Fallout Shelter Mobile game is out now and the pip-boy app will be released at the same time as Fallout 4.

• Locked thread