Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
It's totally a crossover, it's gloriously stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know I think Anita is really reaching on her opinions on stuff like Fury Road and Fallout 4, I normally agree with what she says, but its kind of dumb to say that games/movies set in the hellish raider/warlord filled wastelands shouldn't be violent. But maybe I'm just reading what she is saying wrong.

The tweet in question (which is wrong in the sense you craft other stuff in the game that doesn't involve killing people, but I mean you have to set up defenses to prevent the raider hordes from destroying everything)
https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610286429390811136

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Anita and Macintosh are dumb yes.

E: Well Macintosh is anyway. Anita's issue has always been more laziness than anything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I honestly just think Macintosh just hijacks Anita's twitter to post his thoughts on things. Shaw Elliot challenged that guy on an issue and got blocked almost immediately. Shows you what kind of person he is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's a real shame those two are the face of feminism for games because they just cannot write.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I can appreciate the sentiment of "Fallout 4's settlement system doesn't seem to have much going on in terms of actual gameplay engagement beyond the perimeter defense", but at that point you're basically asking Bethesda to include a city sim game inside their fully-featured AAA RPG.

EDIT: What could be really cool was if Fallout 4 had been more of a true wasteland setting, and the player-created settlement is effectively the only permanent settlement in the area, because having it be the hub could have a lot of really cool hooks for dynamic story elements; but with FO4 being reportedly very urban, I'm not sure how the settlements will be anything more than a fancier version of Skyrim's homesteads.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 15, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

You know I think Anita is really reaching on her opinions on stuff like Fury Road and Fallout 4, I normally agree with what she says, but its kind of dumb to say that games/movies set in the hellish raider/warlord filled wastelands shouldn't be violent. But maybe I'm just reading what she is saying wrong.

The tweet in question (which is wrong in the sense you craft other stuff in the game that doesn't involve killing people, but I mean you have to set up defenses to prevent the raider hordes from destroying everything)
https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610286429390811136

The tweets regarding Fury Road really leave me questioning what they would have wanted.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think she's saying that there could be other games with mechanics like that that aren't hyperbolically grim and violent.

What is twitter for, anyway? There's no possibility for meaningful discourse. It seems designed to promote misunderstanding. Do people use it to talk to their friends, or just to send fortune-cookie-depth messages to an indifferent universe?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jack Gladney posted:

I think she's saying that there could be other games with mechanics like that that aren't hyperbolically grim and violent.

What is twitter for, anyway? There's no possibility for meaningful discourse. It seems designed to promote misunderstanding. Do people use it to talk to their friends, or just to send fortune-cookie-depth messages to an indifferent universe?

Void shouting mainly

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Anita's cool but Macintosh runs the twitter and he's an actual real-life Helen Lovejoy type.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Like, I remember blogs. You got thoughts on something, bang out 900 words and html in some pictures to break it up. Write an essay because you can't make meaning on a postcard. It's buzzfeed's fault that's gone now. Them and cracked.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jack Gladney posted:

It's pretty funny considering what else was shown. I mean, did they miss the DOOM stuff?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Jack Gladney posted:

1. Self-promotion
2. Jokes
3. Running commentary (both serious and not) of TV/Political/Sports/Etc. events
4. Uh, the Arab Spring maybe?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TheMaestroso posted:

It's pretty funny considering what else was shown. I mean, did they miss the DOOM stuff?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In fairness, they're right that there's a problem cheering on that DOOM presentation, but that's because it looks like a terrible DOOM game.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Somebody please think of the feelings of the flesh eating demons!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cyron posted:

Somebody please think of the feelings of the flesh eating demons!

I thought we weren't talking about Gamergate any more?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Also, I'm not sure you can attribute applause at a press conference to anything. Crowds will cheer for any goddamn thing.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Aren't all the things being killed in Doom literal demons and monsters? How is this some horrifying indictment on modern gaming? Doom's been doing this poo poo since the 90's.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought we weren't talking about Gamergate any more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc

but really, Macintosh is a goober. anita is ok.

Jsor posted:

Also, I'm not sure you can attribute applause at a press conference to anything. Crowds will cheer for any goddamn thing.

people clap during 599 US dollors, it honestly just being nice when something they don't like is shown, but doom 4 looks like poo poo even if the demons bleed rainbows.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 15, 2015

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jack Gladney posted:

It's for people to share ideas for bumper stickers. And try to communicate through them.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's not like they were doing anything we weren't doing in the E3 thread. 99% of the posts in there were basically tweets.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jsor posted:

It kind of made sense when Todd Howard pointed out to the audience that there were a bunch of Bethesda Game developers in the crowd

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

achillesforever6 posted:

It kind of made sense when Todd Howard pointed out to the audience that there were a bunch of Bethesda Game developers in the crowd

Most E3 confences are like that, that is how Companies are able to get cheers for announcements that are unpopaler, like when it the time to show off sports titles.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 15, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Aren't all the things being killed in Doom literal demons and monsters? How is this some horrifying indictment on modern gaming? Doom's been doing this poo poo since the 90's.

Think it's because the visuals in Doom from 1995 are considerably more cartoonish and pixelated, which makes gore a lot more palatable.

Now that it's 1080p60fps with hyper realistic visuals, that makes the gore a lot more real looking, which makes it a lot harder to stomach for people who are squeamish.

I'm in agreement on that point, blood, guts and gore is more fun when it's unrealistic and cartoony, but when you can make out individual bones and organs then it starts being less fun and more... sadistic? Psychopathic? It stops being fun and starts being disgusting. I felt that was a problem with the last generation of games and helped contribute to isolating people who self-identified as "gamers" but I'm far too high on pain meds to properly articulate that line of reasoning right now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rodyle posted:

In fairness, they're right that there's a problem cheering on that DOOM presentation, but that's because it looks like a terrible DOOM game.
It actually looks pretty promising solely because the movement speed is fast.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't think the hyper-gore is really a huge negative statement on society. It's stupid and juvenile as poo poo, and I'm sure the worst gamers will eat that poo poo up, but I don't think it's necessarily A Problem That Needs To Be Solved™.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

But that's the thing, it isn't fast.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Media made primarily by engineers trained from childhood to regard the liberal arts as worthless wastes of time will always be juvenile.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I understand being grossed out and I;m totally fine with finding it stupid or juvenile, but it's when people act like fans cheering for a Doom trailer showing gore is this terrifying indictment of modern gaming and go "This is modern game design" :smug: that I roll my eyes.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 15, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

Media made primarily by engineers trained from childhood to regard the liberal arts as worthless wastes of time will always be juvenile.

because it is, get a real job like construction or any science field. liberal arts is paying some con artist to talk about how things look like dicks.

(I am half joking, I rather be a zoologist then be in the fields of liberal arts but it have it place.)

Cyron fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 15, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

IronicDongz posted:

Look I'm happy a snail figured out how to use the internet but we're talking human scale for speed.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The Gilligan's Island crossover is finally public! http://phelous.com/2015/06/15/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-now-sit-right-back-and-youll-hear-a-tale/

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

It's... it's as beautiful as I imagined it! :perfect:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

To be fair media made by anyone who considers all other fields of human study worthless will be juvenile. Hence why art films are 95% crap just like all other types of film.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I do agree that I do want the crafting system to have other things too for role playing reasons. But to be honest I am WAY more interested in XCOM 2 and their mechanics to care that much about Fallout 4.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

poparena posted:

It's... it's as beautiful as I imagined it! :perfect:

I know isn't it???

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
The Doom and Fallout 4 trailers look great! For some reason hyper-realistic gore never bothered me. Then again, I was part of the "Hey lets look at rotten.com and see some hosed up poo poo!" group in my youth due to some morbid curiosity.

I have no idea why Anita and McIntosh are freaking out other than the fact that they don't like it. They're right on a lot of problems within the gaming industry but with this they're beginning to sound like Tipper Gore did in the 80's.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 15, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So just to be clear the 'freaking out' was a dumb tweet saying 'it's kinda a weird thing to cheer for just pointless violent shots' and a generic 'imagine how this kinda thing could be used in other mediums' that was clearly meant as a 'shame it only seems to exist in one kind of game' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So just to be clear the 'freaking out' was a dumb tweet saying 'it's kinda a weird thing to cheer for just pointless violent shots' and a generic 'imagine how this kinda thing could be used in other mediums' that was clearly meant as a 'shame it only seems to exist in one kind of game' thing.

Maybe what we learn today is that twitter is a worthless web site that should die?

no really I don't see what twitter does what Facebook and tumbler don't do. no one can ever give out a worthy option with 180 characters no matter if it's a well known pubic speaker or some nerd crying about his toys. the only thing I cen see it use for is some sort of RRS feed to get news from wbsites you follow but that all I see it as.

• Locked thread