Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
*knocks tryon 3 aside to access gastima*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

You don't have a shred of romance or aesthetics. Go back to that store and think better. :colbert:

I'm not interested in the Tryon 3 at all. Not keen on the old-school Super Robot look.

Instead, I pre-ordered the Dijeh, like any sane man would. :shepface:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

closeted republican posted:

I'm not interested in the Tryon 3 at all. Not keen on the old-school Super Robot look.

Instead, I pre-ordered the Dijeh, like any sane man would. :shepface:

Ah, the noble Rick Dimetrodon.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

closeted republican posted:

I'll be getting it from someone that gets their kits via Bluefin, so it'll be a bit later than the Japanese reviews and people that've exported it straight from Japan.

I'd still like to hear your firsthand impressions. Photos only tell so much and I don't really look at reviews for the most part.

It pains me to say, but this really doesn't work for me on any level. Too many mismatched and overly-saturated shades working at cross-purposes with each other. The lighter blue seems off in a way I can't put my finger on, and that green backpack has simply gotta go.

I think this could still work with no real changes beyond color tweaking. Something less vivid, more coherent. I'd recommend opening up the hue/saturation controls in whatever image editor you use and dicking around with the sliders until you see something you like. Below is how I'd adapt the scheme to better match my own taste, FWIW — maybe a bit too restrained but you get the idea:

Hope this wasn't too discouraging! Custom schemes can be tricky in their own right.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bimmi posted:

I'd still like to hear your firsthand impressions. Photos only tell so much and I don't really look at reviews for the most part.

Sure. Once it's done, I'll do a brief writeup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

You don't have a shred of romance or aesthetics. Go back to that store and think better. :colbert:

It was more that I don't have anywhere to put it than the actual kit. If I did, I'd have gotten it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has anyone dealt with 4U from Japan on Amazon before? My wife ordered me the Tallgeese back at the end of April and I still haven't seen it. The delivery window they gave was May 18-June 9, I feel like it should have shown up by now (in the states). We'll probably send them a contact message if it's not here today, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had shipping issues with them or anything.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I ordered a Stark Jegan and Gogg from 'em almost a month back and that's not making me less worried.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Picked up the new Guncannon and the RG 00 Raiser from Bandai Hobby, looking forward to them.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I ordered a Stark Jegan and Gogg from 'em almost a month back and that's not making me less worried.

I'll let you know if it does show up, or what they say when we contact them. Just seems a little off to have a 20 some day delivery range and not meet it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
ARMED BOOSTER!

Assembled, topcoated, and appropriately posed. Gonna take a break, but can't wait to build the separate forms.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bimmi posted:

It pains me to say, but this really doesn't work for me on any level. Too many mismatched and overly-saturated shades working at cross-purposes with each other. The lighter blue seems off in a way I can't put my finger on, and that green backpack has simply gotta go.

I think this could still work with no real changes beyond color tweaking. Something less vivid, more coherent. I'd recommend opening up the hue/saturation controls in whatever image editor you use and dicking around with the sliders until you see something you like. Below is how I'd adapt the scheme to better match my own taste, FWIW — maybe a bit too restrained but you get the idea:

Hope this wasn't too discouraging! Custom schemes can be tricky in their own right.

No this is exactly what I wanted, both in terms of critique/help and tweaks, thank you! Because I am straight up colour blind I just colour sampled from the vallejo colour range and went at it. As an example of how bad it is: I actually forgot the backpack wasn't grey instead of green until I posted it because as soon as colours get next to each other I can't see anything.

Here'sa pdf with most of the stuff, I got the purple from the game air range which is for warhams. Cos of the whole unable to see poo poo thing mixing is pretty difficult without measured instructions and stuff. If you could point out whatever is your things are on the chart or closest that would help me a huge deal. I got my top man on it and he guesstimates NATO Black or Blue Grey for the dark, UK Mediterranean Blue for the light blue, Camoflage Black Green and Sand Brown or Yellow Ochre for the new dull red? He's bad at this though.

If I wasn't finishing up a GM Sniper II currently I would probably just go for the colours I used for that, but its boring to do the same thing again (especially if it's going to be part of a team) and I wanted something a bit more darker Jesta than the brighter GM.

Tryon 3 is cool as hell and I just got a couple of bits in the banzaihobby thing thanks y'all.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 12, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
My only problem with the tryon 3 is I ordered 3, one to paint show colors, another for my friend and another to paint as predaking. What if I need more.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You may have a problem.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yes, the problem would be he doesn't have enough Tryons. Order more.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are always reprints? whenever GBFT gets around to that

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Ka0 posted:

and another to paint as predaking.

Well now I'm looking forward to this. Please post progress in TF thread when it happens.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:flashfap:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
those arms are hosed up

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I posed the Red Warrior shortly before my Ness amiibo arrived. Then, something beautiful happened.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Hi-Mock, much like King Dedede, is perfect.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Those make for really good poses for the Crossbone and R-Gyagya, not so much the rest, although I like the doofiness of the Cardigan. :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

They're adorable :3:
and Matsuri Weapon has a hammer the Mock could use

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know you have to make a tiny robe for the Mock now, right?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Got an email/charge from HLJ, some add-ons to the Valkyria Chronicles Edelweiss Model I have rotting on my backlog. Eh, might as well pick up the Giant Gatling to make the shipping worth it.

Not Gunpla/Plamo strictly speaking, but gently caress you HLJ for putting this on the front page right under the gatling you evil evil fucks:

I'm justifying the purchase in that I have a lot of robots and I need someone around who will make sure they behave themselves or else.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Does anyone have an estimate on how long it usually takes scheduled reprints to hit the market? There was (supposed to be?) an HG Gaia Gundam reprint last month, but I haven't seen one newly in stock anywhere, nor have prices dropped on ebay or Amazon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dawwwwwwwww. :3:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well I messaged 4U from Japan about the shipment and they just have me the standard "keep waiting" answer. They offered a refund if I want it, but I'm not really sure if it's worth waiting or not.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I cant check dalong on my phone (crash city) so does anybody know if the funnel effect parts from the MG Hi-Nu (original) are compatible with the funnels from Nu ver. Ka?

If not, where does one get some? I'm presuming ebay/third party.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://schizophonic9.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2561.html#more anyone familiar with the technique schizophonic used on the gastima's antennae here? it looks like he truncated them, added some pla-plate, and somehow trimmed them down to fine points. It looks fairly straightforward, but I'm still curious.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
drat but the GN particle conducting cable things on the Exia are fiddly to put in on the RG (just started work on it today, RGs are so much fun). Anyone built this before know how you're supposed to get the cable on the shin to dent into the leg? The instructions seem to suggest it gets held bent by the armour plates but they don't do that at all and it just ends up sitting straight, proud of the plating (I can live with it if it's not possible but I would like to get it to go in properly if I can) wondering if I might have to pull it out and put a slight crease in it.

edit: Taking the cable out and giving it a not quite crease worked.

Holy poo poo I just worked out what's going on with this part at the top of the leg, you can fold away the pegs on the hips for the GN Blades if you don't have them mounted there, that's a wonderful detail when nobody would really complain at having a mounting peg sticking out.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 15, 2015

Lanz
May 30, 2013
cleaning my room, managed to dig out the box of old GunPla my friend gave me when he was running out of room at his place

Unfortunately, the MG God Gundam inside is sufferent a couple of issues now:
1) The Core Lander's Wing has apparenly warped from having one model lay on top of it
2) The left arm's shoulder joint has somehow become worn to the point it can't get traction on the socket in the torso

Any recommendations for fixing those? I know MSiA plastic back in the day could be rendered pliable enough with a hot water soak to bend and reset warped bits back into shape, but not sure if the plastic of the MG God Gundam can be restored in a similar manner

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For the shoulder joint, dab a tiny bit of super glue on the inside of the socket, wait for it to be thoroughly dry, and there should be a bit more friction.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

HY2M Rick Dom build log archive posted:

Day 1: how does wiring work i am not good at electronic, also THIS FUCKER IS BIG http://imgur.com/a/dCKbm
Day 2: hurr batteries how am do, also prepping purple parts http://imgur.com/a/gR6OU
Day 3: priming prepped purple parts pretty promptly, also LET THERE BE LIGHT http://imgur.com/a/SH0oD
Days 4-6: SHINY RED poo poo, also HOLY poo poo THIS SHINY RED poo poo ACTUALLY TURNED OUT BETTER http://imgur.com/a/MhpXb
Day 7: Tricky-rear end foot wiring http://imgur.com/a/sm8he
Day 8: Tricky-rear end foot wiring Part the 2nd, and some pitfalls with paint get fixed up. Shoulder pauldron seams ITT and the legs come together, with some rather difficult wiring but ONE NEAT TRICK TO MAKE IT EASY, MEIJINS HATE HIM http://imgur.com/a/946jv
Days 9-11 :911: - paintin' thrusters, wirin' leg thruster housings, and finishin' up legs. Also the glorious circular Rick Dong. http://imgur.com/a/Z4lnB
Day 12: Beam guns, backpack thrusters, and I seriously don't know how to paint figures well :-( http://imgur.com/a/7asIW
Day 13: Boxing the batteries and some preliminary size work http://imgur.com/a/PEnDg
Day 14: More battery woes but progress is still yet made! http://imgur.com/a/nC0x9
Days 15-18: IT IS ASSEMBLED minus the beam bazooka BUT THE HY2M RICK DOM STANDS ALONE IN ALL 20 LEDS' GLORY http://imgur.com/a/TX4uX

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Assembled a whole shitload of G-Reco suits - I'll talk about them in more detail when I get a chance to upload some pics.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Starting to fiend for the MG Gyan. I gotta say though, filling a shield with rockets and mines seems...unwise.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Starting to fiend for the MG Gyan. I gotta say though, filling a shield with rockets and mines seems...unwise.

Filling shields with explosive or volatile weaponry is a time-honored Gundam tradition.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

I like to imagine a junior Zeon engineer read about half a paragraph about reactive armor, got the wrong idea, and decided to use it to 'improve' the Gyan's shield.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I like to imagine a junior Zeon engineer read about half a paragraph about reactive armor, got the wrong idea, and decided to use it to 'improve' the Gyan's shield.

"PROactive armour numbskull! PROactive armour" - Dozle

One the one hand ideally the shield won't get penetrated through to the explosives or they won't go off if that should happen. On the other hand these things are walking nuclear bombs so they should be a bit careful!!

MJP posted:

Day 14: More battery woes but progress is still yet made! http://imgur.com/a/nC0x9
Days 15-18: IT IS ASSEMBLED minus the beam bazooka BUT THE HY2M RICK DOM STANDS ALONE IN ALL 20 LEDS' GLORY http://imgur.com/a/TX4uX

This is glorious. Thanks for all the WIPS.

Nice work and thanks to anyone that does them!

I got my new needle for my airbrush and it had the rubber sleeve on so i was excited to have a good time with a straight needle. The protector was on really tight though so as I was pulling it off I did that thing where you try really to pull on something and then it comes off and your arm overcompensates stopping itself and you go back and I jammed the needle in my finger and you guessed it bent the hell out of it. I feel like the Charlie Brown of airbrush needles.

Oh well, I had a nice time spraying thought I'm still getting to grips with pulling the trigger the right amount for what I want. I think I might be actually done with these bits though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I think the idea with the Gyan is that you're not going to get close enough to hit the shield while it's spitting a hundred goddamn missiles at you, but I don't really try to understand mecha logic.

Lanz posted:

Unfortunately, the MG God Gundam inside is sufferent a couple of issues now:
1) The Core Lander's Wing has apparenly warped from having one model lay on top of it

Any recommendations for fixing those? I know MSiA plastic back in the day could be rendered pliable enough with a hot water soak to bend and reset warped bits back into shape, but not sure if the plastic of the MG God Gundam can be restored in a similar manner

Might work. You'd probably need very hot (as in just-boiled) water decanted into another container so the plastic doesn't melt, maybe a 5-10 minute soak, and then sandwich the parts between two of something flat and heavy until they cool. If all three parts of the wing are warped then you're not going to be able to sandwich the red bit entirely,, and I don't know that your chances of getting them all aligned again are especially good, but it's worth a try.