Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Chandra's Ignition will be an EDH superstar with cards that do wither, infect, lifelink etc.
I wanna put it in a deck with blightsteel colossus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Yawgmoth posted:

I wanna put it in a deck with blightsteel colossus.

Make sure you have Furnace of Rath in play and then Reverberate the ignition for all the lulz

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Madmarker posted:

And now I have a R. Kelly song stuck in my head. Now I'm pissed.

gently caress that noise. I pulled it up spotify and now I'm dancing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Any Chicagoons have lgs recommendations? Moved here recently and checked out mtgcardmarket and dice dojo but haven't played yet. Dojo seemed nicer but is a longer trek. Would mainly be interested in modern, legacy, and draft right now. Also have a cube!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I can see Spell Mastery being a really powerful mechanic in Modern/Legacy if they print something at 1 or 2 CMC with a decent effect/conditional upside.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pontius Pilate posted:

Any Chicagoons have lgs recommendations? Moved here recently and checked out mtgcardmarket and dice dojo but haven't played yet. Dojo seemed nicer but is a longer trek. Would mainly be interested in modern, legacy, and draft right now. Also have a cube!

Where are you located? Those are mostly the big two, Hotsauce is a pretty distant third in my opinion.

Keep in mind, Dojo has two locations now, one at Bryn Mawr and one in the loop.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Madmarker posted:

And now I have a R. Kelly song stuck in my head. Now I'm pissed.

Off or on?! :ohdear:

I want to Stifle one of Chandra's triggers in response to Chandra's Ignition resolving one of these days, so she'll explode and stay exactly the same.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

qbert posted:

I can see Spell Mastery being a really powerful mechanic in Modern/Legacy if they print something at 1 or 2 CMC with a decent effect/conditional upside.

Preordainope
U
Sorcery
Draw a card.
Spell Mastery - If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, instead Scry 2, then draw a card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which is the sign that this is part of a cycle.

If there's a green rare that ramps you to seven lands I am so down with that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay people I'm calling it now and I have the shell built and ready to go. When you see a deck called U/R ignition that uses the storm shelll to slam a summoners pacted brought the breached blightsteel and ignite it for the win with back up pact of negations think of me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay people I'm calling it now and I have the shell built and ready to go. When you see a deck called U/R ignition that uses the storm shelll to slam a summoners pacted brought the breached blightsteel and ignite it for the win with back up pact of negations think of me.

Summoner's pact only fetches green creatures.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ramos posted:

Preordainope
U
Sorcery
Draw a card.
Spell Mastery - If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, instead Scry 2, then draw a card.

Nice. I was thinking something like

Lightning Boltier
R
Instant
Deal 2 damage to target creature or player.
Spell Mastery - Instead deal 4 damage to target creature or player.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think I'd rather play Magister Sphinx + Hidetsugu's Second Rite + Cloudshift.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Lightning Boltier
R
Instant

Not going to :toxx: myself, but I think that will exist.

EDIT: Possibly as a sorcery, if not an instant.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 15, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Entropic posted:

Summoner's pact only fetches green creatures.

gently caress you are correct. Time to jam 4 blightsteel in it. This is why I never play summoners pact.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
that's way too good to see play

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The obvious solution is to play Painter's Servant and then you can also play all the top notch green hosers like encase in ice.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Not going to :toxx: myself, but I think that will exist.

EDIT: Possibly as a sorcery, if not an instant.

I really doubt that would show up in the same set as the stinker that is Lightning Javelin.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

qbert posted:

Lightning Boltier
R
Instant

It's piss easy to get 4 damage for R in formats where we have fuckin' Delver lists. There is no possible way it'll be 2 to 4.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mister Olympus posted:

Where are you located? Those are mostly the big two, Hotsauce is a pretty distant third in my opinion.

Keep in mind, Dojo has two locations now, one at Bryn Mawr and one in the loop.

Logan Square so nothing is terribly convenient. Why can't there be one in Logan or wicker :( and yeah, I went to the Bryn Mawr one. Does mtgcardmarket usually have singles out? When we went the cases were empty but it was shortly after Vegas.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

qbert posted:

Lightning Boltier
R
Instant

I could see this as 2 turning into 3 and probably as a sorcery as well but I guess at some point they have to stop giving legacy/modern burn more 1 mana 3 damage spells

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

qbert posted:

Lightning Boltier
R
Instant

I could see this if 4 was dropped to 3. Cannot have anything potentially better than lightning bolt ever.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's piss easy to get 4 damage for R in formats where we have fuckin' Delver lists. There is no possible way it'll be 2 to 4.

Yeah I was really pushing the power of the card in my fantasy. More realistically, I can see something like Shock normally, Spell Mastery - 3 damage that can't be countered or prevented.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Welp, what I assumed was just going to be some loving TES hearthstone clone is actually the game LSV has been working on

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

qbert posted:

Yeah I was really pushing the power of the card in my fantasy. More realistically, I can see something like Shock normally, Spell Mastery - 3 damage that can't be countered or prevented.

That's probably too much to hope for. It'll cost 2 mana whatever it does because they're afraid of making good lightning bolts.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ramos posted:

I could see this if 4 was dropped to 3. Cannot have anything potentially better than lightning bolt ever.

I mean, it's just a galvanic blast variant. A way easier to activate galvanic blast mind you.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, it's just a galvanic blast variant. A way easier to activate galvanic blast mind you.

I was literally going to post exactly that.

Not really the best precedent, but Galvanic Blast or that X Ferocious spell from FRF are sorta similar. Both were +2 on the base effect.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There's a huge difference though, Galvanic Blast is basically never ever going to be 4 damage in an actual dedicated burn deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Having 2 spells in your graveyard is difficult to NOT turn on in a burn deck, so they're not going to make anything that's better than lightning bolt if you have Spell Mastery.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I was literally going to post exactly that.

Not really the best precedent, but Galvanic Blast or that X Ferocious spell from FRF are sorta similar. Both were +2 on the base effect.

if galvanic blast was activated by almost every other card played in delver and burn then you drat well better believe it would be a 4 of in legacy

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If there's support for a low-creature count archetype in draft that's actually pretty cool.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Having 2 spells in your graveyard is difficult to NOT turn on in a burn deck, so they're not going to make anything that's better than lightning bolt if you have Spell Mastery.

I don't think they'd even want to give you another 4 Lightning Bolts.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

:golfclap:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

If there's support for a low-creature count archetype in draft that's actually pretty cool.

More prowess fun? Sign me the gently caress up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think they'd even want to give you another 4 Lightning Bolts.

I'd be surprised if we get a red card with Spell Mastery that costs less than 2 mana.

Ramos posted:

More prowess fun? Sign me the gently caress up.

I want something like "1RR sorcery put two 1/1 goblin creature tokens with prowess onto the battlefield."

Entropic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 15, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

rabidsquid posted:

Welp, what I assumed was just going to be some loving TES hearthstone clone is actually the game LSV has been working on

Wow. I simultaneously somewhat impressed and disappointed.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Please don't link whatever you're talking about.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My guess is that the X-spell is going to be the only burn spell with the mechanic in Origins. If there is a common variant, I'd imagine it'd look more like Brimstone Volley than anything else in terms of cmc and damage with/without the condition being met.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Please link whatever you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Check out @lsv's Tweet: https://twitter.com/lsv/status/610553450540089344?s=09

• Locked thread