Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

Or just yank it down the cable, I've never seen a boot held in place by anything more than friction.

Yeah, we had a ton that the boot was molded into the RJ45, couldn't just yank on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, we had a ton that the boot was molded into the RJ45, couldn't just yank on them.

That sucks.

edit: I'm too hyperbolic when I'm hungry

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 14, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd normally agree with you, but the snagless cables you can get now are much better than the traditional impossible to remove booted versions:

it took them like 30 years but they finally made h
RJ-45 jacks that don't completely suck.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I think this is the norm for cat6

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've seen plenty that weren't molded to start with, but have melted together due to heat.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The only good brand I've found is Allen-Tel, but only their standard length cables. The custom length ones they use a different boot and it's much more annoying.

Monoprice, which normally I trumpet so much I could be considered a shill for, makes a copy of the Allen-Tels named FlexBoot (which a former colleague of mine swears is because he told them Allen-Tel's boot was the best and could they please copy it), but they hosed up on it because the snagless part is not very stiff. The advantage of the Allen-Tel is that the other side of the arch, the part that comes up to go over the clear plastic locktab, is stiff enough that you can press at the base of it (albeit you have to press pretty firmly) and it'll press down on the clear plastic tab enought to unplug the cable. This is critical whenever the cable is wedged into a tight patch panel or in the back of a 1U server that's not as deep as the 1U servers above and below it (i.e. you have to shove a flat-bladed screwdriver in because your fat fingers can't get to it).

And annoyingly the custom-length cable boot Allen-Tel uses has the same issue where it's much softer plastic on the snagless arch, and the arch part itself is also shorter, i.e. doesn't reach out from the jack as far as the standard length cable boot.

So yeah, as much as I'll immediately check Monoprice / AmazonBasic for any other kind of cable, I still insist on paying the (rather absurd) premium for Allen-Tel patch cables because I've done far too many rip & replace patching jobs to bother wasting time with the other poo poo. That said, if you don't want to pay $2.50 a cable, the FlexBoots are far better than any other option with the stupid plastic molded-in boots (I think the picture Thanks Ants posted is actually a picture of the FlexBoots).

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

gently caress these things!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Swink posted:

gently caress these things!

These are actually good.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

it took them like 30 years but they finally made h
RJ-45 jacks that don't completely suck.

aaaaa the Cisco 8800 series IP phones cut out randomly if you're using cables with a thicker boot. They only want those cables. It was such a pain to figure out.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Somebody called in.

"Hey i can't login can you unlock my account for me"
Whats your username?
gives username
i see it's been disabled and locked
"Yeah i'm sry. ur acc has been locked. please contact your manager. I can't unlock it."

:/
I can't imagine why management won't tell him. he's fired or something

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sefal posted:

Somebody called in.

"Hey i can't login can you unlock my account for me"
Whats your username?
gives username
i see it's been disabled and locked
"Yeah i'm sry. ur acc has been locked. please contact your manager. I can't unlock it."

:/
I can't imagine why management won't tell him. he's fired or something

I get this now and then. Usually it's me who disabled it. Makes for awkward conversations.

Priority 1 ticket: Disable Larry's account and give management access to all his poo poo
Later that day,
"Hi my name's Larry, I can't seem to log on..."
"... is that so?"

gently caress sake, sacking someone is bad enough without leaving them to figure it out through clues over the course of the day.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Hi Support,

Can you please allow the subnet 10.162.0.0 with a subnetmask of 10.162.192.0 to access our DR network of [X.X.X.X]?

Thanks,

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I'm dead on the inside.

I can't even manage a sigh.

Bitesize
Sep 25, 2008
That would be a real interesting series of allowable IP addresses!
Theoretically, are you allowed to use smaller values and larger values in that order, like 255.128.255.0?
Never mind the fact that a mask of 00001010 in one field would be hard to wrap your head around.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

10.162.192.0 is not a valid mask, but if we assume he just had a brain fart and actually meant 255.255.192.0, it's a technically valid request.

That said, it's a very big subnet and I sincerely hope they don't run that as a single broadcast domain.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Collateral Damage posted:

10.162.192.0 is not a valid mask, but if we assume he just had a brain fart and actually meant 255.255.192.0, it's a technically valid request.

That said, it's a very big subnet and I sincerely hope they don't run that as a single broadcast domain.

If it is then someone needs to take a rolled-up newspaper and smack the offending party in the face, screaming "Bad network admin! No IP for you!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Collateral Damage posted:

I asked if he meant an /18, and also if he wanted any specific ports in mind, and he said that he did mean an /18.

Bitesize posted:

Theoretically, are you allowed to use smaller values and larger values in that order, like 255.128.255.0?
Never mind the fact that a mask of 00001010 in one field would be hard to wrap your head around.
I'm pretty sure subnet masks can't work like that.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Bitesize posted:

Ooh, use a mask of 255.255.255.1 so that computers get even numbers and phones get the adjacent odd numbers but they're on different subnets!

Who even came up with the idea of using a mask instead of a count? Such a bad UI.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's plenty of things to get hung up on in IPv4 but subnet masking isn't one of them. Especially not since with a lot of equipment nowadays you can just use a CIDR suffix instead.

Then Cisco comes along and inverts subnet masks and calls them wildcard masks just to be obnoxious. :argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bitesize posted:

No you're not allowed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

Ooh, use a mask of 255.255.255.1 so that computers get even numbers and phones get the adjacent odd numbers but they're on different subnets!

Who even came up with the idea of using a mask instead of a count? Such a bad UI.

It makes way more sense in binary.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

A voicemail came in, and it's just magical:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s01tLy2gPVb6

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Potato Alley posted:

Meh, seems like a simple mistake on her part that might take 2 minutes to explain. I don't think she deserved to have her voice being put on the internet for that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Potato Alley posted:

Math is hard.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Today's problem: the DC site name is default-site-name

Not terrible, but from the same jerk who gave us Cablegate

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Meh, seems like a simple mistake on her part that might take 2 minutes to explain. I don't think she deserved to have her voice being put on the internet for that.

And hell, at least she called up to ask with a valid (if a little silly) query and did so politely and without any drama. What a nice user!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Potato Alley posted:

Lol, but also :goonsay:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

These suck on Cisco phones, because Cisco makes the well so goddamn deep on the plug that the clear plastic is no longer exposed, and the colored part gets pushed back

Thanks Cisco

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ElGroucho posted:

These suck on Cisco phones, because Cisco makes the well so goddamn deep on the plug that the clear plastic is no longer exposed, and the colored part gets pushed back

Thanks Cisco

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in from the GM.

Suspicious emails from gibberish yahoo accounts claiming to be resumes, containing attachments named "resume.zip."

Yeeeah.

For shits, I spun up a VM to show him what would happen if he opened them.

Cryptowall'd.

WOOOP

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Cryptowall'd.

This is awesome and it makes me think it'd be neat to do this as a demo in our new employee orientation process.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sundayturks posted:

And hell, at least she called up to ask with a valid (if a little silly) query and did so politely and without any drama. What a nice user!

I completely agree with both you and Sickening, and I didn't post it to complain, more because it was hilarious and I thought other people might find it hilarious. And yes, there's no reason to laugh at her to her face because she doesn't know the relationship of kilobyte & megabyte, but that doesn't mean that I can't laugh about it with other IT people. Or I guess it does?

ninja: let me know I really am not sure now if I'm allowed to laugh at silly user mistakes or not

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You are only allowed to do the needful.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Potato Alley posted:

I completely agree with both you and Sickening, and I didn't post it to complain, more because it was hilarious and I thought other people might find it hilarious. And yes, there's no reason to laugh at her to her face because she doesn't know the relationship of kilobyte & megabyte, but that doesn't mean that I can't laugh about it with other IT people. Or I guess it does?

ninja: let me know I really am not sure now if I'm allowed to laugh at silly user mistakes or not

It just seems so odd to post her voice for such an average call.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
4 days until I quit and :yotj: (next week) and now tomorrow they want to knowledge transfer without even understanding what they're transferring/what I did? :negative: This company is bad. All they asked for was process docs and passwords. Process docs which don't exist because the exact same bad mangers refused to agree to any. Process docs on monitoring applications they refused to provide access to. That'll go well.

Oh well, exit interview and a single empowered agile director should be able to enjoy what I give em on the way out as far as constructive action items that lay out what having 90% of your staff being waterfall to the point of stagnation and suppressing your agile folks does to your organization.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in from the GM.

Suspicious emails from gibberish yahoo accounts claiming to be resumes, containing attachments named "resume.zip."

Yeeeah.

Cryptowall'd.

WOOOP

Executable renamed as a zip (e.g. resume.zip.exe), or something else going on?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Usually these things pack themselves into a zip (sometimes password-protected with pw in the email) to evade AV. Renaming the file is never needed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

Executable renamed as a zip (e.g. resume.zip.exe), or something else going on?

No but the zip contains an executable usually.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm in incident response and it's cool how within the timespan of say a year most IT shops went from "HOLY poo poo ALL OUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED WHAT HAPPENED WHAT DO WE DOOOO?" to "yeah just another cryptoware 's all good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

An email attachment filter is one of the best first lines of defense against viruses nowadays.

• Locked thread