Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

So I haven't seen this thread for a few days, there's 75 posts I wonder what's haWoah.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

kerwyn posted:

Have the guy with mage masher hit themselves, if silence procs it'll reflect onto him and give you a window to attack once with the other character.

When I tried this (gba version, US I think) it didn't seem to work. It'd proc, the little reflect semicircle would appear, but he wouldn't get silenced.

What I ended up doing in my knight/zerk/ranger/dancer run was send my dancer & ranger up with two reflect rings, then waited out his MP (took like 45 minutes on fast forward.. but I didn't know about the Ether trick). Then I savestated, smacked him, and he Reset anyway, because Reset only costs 1 mp and all his other spells cost more.

So I kept reloading the state and dancing until I got mystery waltz. Then I was able to kill him.

If that's cheating, I don't care.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Signed up for my first FJF. With berseker risk. I'm ready to be miserable. :getin:

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Ali Aces posted:

When I tried this (gba version, US I think) it didn't seem to work. It'd proc, the little reflect semicircle would appear, but he wouldn't get silenced.

What I ended up doing in my knight/zerk/ranger/dancer run was send my dancer & ranger up with two reflect rings, then waited out his MP (took like 45 minutes on fast forward.. but I didn't know about the Ether trick). Then I savestated, smacked him, and he Reset anyway, because Reset only costs 1 mp and all his other spells cost more.

So I kept reloading the state and dancing until I got mystery waltz. Then I was able to kill him.

In my experience the silence is very short, so you need to hold until both characters are ready and attack immediately after.

e: He should try to cast return after the reflected silence and you'll see "no effect" pop up, attack right then and return should fail a second time

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Seravadon posted:

Signed up for my first FJF. With berseker risk. I'm ready to be miserable. :getin:

We have guaranteed Berserkers together, friend.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

kerwyn posted:

In my experience the silence is very short, so you need to hold until both characters are ready and attack immediately after.

e: He should try to cast return after the reflected silence and you'll see "no effect" pop up, attack right then and return should fail a second time

Correct. Silence is a temporary effect in FF5, unlike most other FFs, and the Heavy flag makes it expire almost instantly. That tick or two where it is still in effect is enough to be exploitable though.

Kyrosiris posted:

At current we have 611 Berserkers to 480 Riskers, or 127% saturation of Berserkers. 131 Riskers playing on Random or Chaos will get an extra one. :getin:

I might wind up regretting my Chaos now...

...nah, all in or nothing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Registered for normal berserker risk, to try to spread it out a little.

I love that this thing hasn't even started yet and it's already at 80% of the contribution goal.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Registered for a normal Berserker Risk run. First Fiesta, should be fun.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Ali Aces posted:

I'm on the GBA version too and what you were seeing was the spell being reflected, but not hitting the boss. It actually makes it that much more difficult because you a) need silence to proc and b) the proc to actually land on the boss after the reflection. It will make the actual silence graphic on Omniscient. THEN you have that 1-2 second window to get an attack off.

I eventually gave up after awhile and cheated because I didn't prepare well enough and my save states didn't put me in a position to fix it. Oh well.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
I started a practice run, and I'm beginning to understand what you all mean about Fiesta rules being a great way to learn the game - I rolled Black Mage for my Wind job and it's been pretty fun. I usually only keep one around, so I had to change my entire usual strategy around.

My first real problem was Garula, though - that ended up with everyone dead but Lenna, who had 2 HP left and Sap running when she finally killed it. That sure was... something...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Garula is the first big roadblock for half of the Wind Crystal jobs. He's not bad if you've got Knight, incredibly tedious if you've got White Mage, and utterly trivial if you've got Blue Mage. Otherwise you're going to suffer a bit.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Four Monks generally have an easy time with Garula. Both Chakra and Focus are excellent skills to have in that fight. It's a real pain with four Thieves, though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Garula is the first big roadblock for half of the Wind Crystal jobs. He's not bad if you've got Knight, incredibly tedious if you've got White Mage, and utterly trivial if you've got Blue Mage. Otherwise you're going to suffer a bit.

really it's just thieves, four black mages can snap the frost rod in carwen and then he's basically dead.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Thanks, that makes me feel better, haha.

Fungah! posted:

really it's just thieves, four black mages can snap the frost rod in carwen and then he's basically dead.

That crossed my mind, but I decided to avoid doing that - one of the reasons Lenna is currently my MVP is because I gave her that Ice Rod and started throwing boosted Ice at everything that doesn't resist it. RPG hoarder syndrome. :(

Incidentally, for anyone who's curious, I believe I mentioned that I'm playing a French version of the game. I'm not sure whether it's official or not, or even how it came to be the sole version of FF5 in my possession, but I'm learning a good bit. For instance, they translated "berserker" into "enragé," which can be an adjective that means "rabid" or "loving nuts" but can also be a noun that means "demon." The more you know! :eng101:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pieuvre posted:

My first real problem was Garula, though - that ended up with everyone dead but Lenna, who had 2 HP left and Sap running when she finally killed it. That sure was... something...

Heh, I had the same situation with Sandworm.
Having my first three classes all be squishy mages kinda sucked (though I appreciated the capacity to nuke things)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Pieuvre posted:

That crossed my mind, but I decided to avoid doing that - one of the reasons Lenna is currently my MVP is because I gave her that Ice Rod and started throwing boosted Ice at everything that doesn't resist it. RPG hoarder syndrome. :(

Great news (albeit late)! The town you go to after beating Garula sells these rods and for every element! Crack all the rods! :science:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Great news (albeit late)! The town you go to after beating Garula sells these rods and for every element! Crack all the rods! :science:

750 blaze rods erry day :2bong:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If I have a party of Freelancers (because Chaos) when I fight Garula, is it generally worthwhile to break the ice rod to take him out? It sounds like a dreadful fight but I'm worried I won't get anything from the second crystal to make Liquid Flame not awful and it might be better to save the rod for that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can buy rods in the next town after Garula, so you might as well break it on Garula or Magissa.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh right, whoops.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

GreatRedSpirit posted:

aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh :argh:

At least this qualifies for "learning the game better"...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pieuvre posted:

aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh :argh:

At least this qualifies for "learning the game better"...

On top of that, you can farm Flame Rods from the Ricard Mages in the same tower. :eng101:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm up to the end of the game with my Knight, Thief, Summoner and Beastmaster random team from last year. I never want to play without Flee, no back attacks and sprint ever again. Please give me a thief chaos mode.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Is it still possible to get one berserker from the water crystal in a no risk run?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Look Sharp! posted:

Is it still possible to get one berserker from the water crystal in a no risk run?

Yes, unless you're playing a 750 or classic run.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

Four Monks generally have an easy time with Garula. Both Chakra and Focus are excellent skills to have in that fight. It's a real pain with four Thieves, though.

Really just Chakra, iirc you can give all four people Chakra and put them in the backrow and kill him with counter damage without ever really being in danger.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Are there any tricks to Magissa with Thieves? Or do I just need a whole lot of potions? With Siren I could just put them all in the back row and wait for the undead shift and drop a whole bunch of potions on her head, but this lady's dumb husband hits just as hard.

edit: I'm not sure I understand how Steal works... I just sat on a random encounter (two bull things) outside North Mountain for five minutes with all four guys trying to steal over and over and over again and it didn't work. The FAQ in the OP says it's a 40% chance and I stole unsuccessfully at least 30 times in a row. Is it affected by row? They were in the back.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 16, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OzFactor posted:

Are there any tricks to Magissa with Thieves? Or do I just need a whole lot of potions? With Siren I could just put them all in the back row and wait for the undead shift and drop a whole bunch of potions on her head, but this lady's dumb husband hits just as hard.

Potions and levels. Thief life is the hard life, for the Wind->Water stretch. Get daggers from the Ship Graveyard if you haven't, they're rare drops from Skeletons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

If I have a party of Freelancers (because Chaos) when I fight Garula, is it generally worthwhile to break the ice rod to take him out? It sounds like a dreadful fight but I'm worried I won't get anything from the second crystal to make Liquid Flame not awful and it might be better to save the rod for that.

Freelancers are super easy for Garula, since they can equip everything. That means full heavy armor, and you can also equip the whip you got from Magisa, and the katana and bell from Tycoon castle, and use the healing staff for healing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

edit: I'm not sure I understand how Steal works... I just sat on a random encounter (two bull things) outside North Mountain for five minutes with all four guys trying to steal over and over and over again and it didn't work. The FAQ in the OP says it's a 40% chance and I stole unsuccessfully at least 30 times in a row. Is it affected by row? They were in the back.

Get to level 16 or so and you should have just enough damage to do about half of her HP (325) and then, in one go, do it again (so as not to summon Forza at all).

Also yes, Steal is a 40% chance to succeed. Big Horns (the bull monsters) don't have a common steal, though, so you have to both beat the 40% check and the 10/256 check for a rare steal.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Things I learned today: switching your weapons removes mixes like Resist Fire, etc. :psyduck:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

Things I learned today: switching your weapons removes mixes like Resist Fire, etc. :psyduck:

Yep, so does getting KOed and stuff. It's delightful setting up a bunch of buffs for Omega, then having him kill someone and finding out you practically have to start over for them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Yep, so does getting KOed and stuff. It's delightful setting up a bunch of buffs for Omega, then having him kill someone and finding out you practically have to start over for them.

Well, most mix buffs persist through death - the Kisses, etc. I was just surprised that Resist mixes were part of the ones that expire.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
Is the !Time magic Mute bugged in the RPGe version or the GBA version? The wiki is giving conflicting information.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jueg01 posted:

Is the !Time magic Mute bugged in the RPGe version or the GBA version? The wiki is giving conflicting information.

What do you mean by bugged? The Mute spell is the one that prevents ALL spellcasting, including yours, while Silence is the targetted one. If that's not what you mean then I have no clue.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Alabaster White posted:

What do you mean by bugged? The Mute spell is the one that prevents ALL spellcasting, including yours, while Silence is the targetted one. If that's not what you mean then I have no clue.

I believe in the SNES version, mute is bugged to ONLY silence your party and not the enemy. I tested it and it does work correctly in the GBA version.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Things I learned about Bard tonight as I wrapped up my test fiesta: Berserked bards keep singing but also attack. Doing this in the lategame with a hasted bard wielding the chicken knife and singing Swift Song (with Blink up to protect the song) is comedic and highly effective. Also: If you can safely tank XDeath's first form, singing Swift Song/Sinewy Etude/Hero's Rime for 2-3 minutes each then slapping the berserks onto your melee characters kinda chainsaws 9999s through every piece of Exdeath/Neo and makes him laughable.

Bard is actually pretty good! Now my Fartz? character file is set up and awaiting the true fiesta and my #RegChaos #BERSERKERRISK adventure :black101:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Huzzah! posted:

I believe in the SNES version, mute is bugged to ONLY silence your party and not the enemy. I tested it and it does work correctly in the GBA version.

Oh poo poo, I actually knew that but I got it confused with a very similar glitch in FF1.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Archenteron posted:

Things I learned about Bard tonight as I wrapped up my test fiesta: Berserked bards keep singing but also attack. Doing this in the lategame with a hasted bard wielding the chicken knife and singing Swift Song (with Blink up to protect the song) is comedic and highly effective.

That is amazing. Singing while stabbing dudes to death is pretty loving metal. And yes, Bards are fantastic, especially for NED. Like, THE class to turn him into a total joke, competing with Chemist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, I'm signed up for random berserker risk certainty. :getin:

Just need to dig out my PSX copy. It's been on the order of 10-15 years since I played last, I think.

One question, though: I get what's meant by 750 mode, but what are you guys talking about with breaking rods? It sounds like you're talking about what I always called itemcasting, using the rod as an item, but I was under the impression anyone could do that no matter their class (Except berserker, for obvious reasons).

• Locked thread