Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

zedprime posted:

Howard-sensei is so brilliant he would become like the Master instead of a normal super mutant.

You can join us... Or die.... Join... Die! Die! Die!

Choose...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm hoping they made up new factions that actually have a background beyond "They're good guys" or "They're jerks" like the Regulators and Talon Company in 3. Also I hope the Brotherhood isn't a bunch of white knights again that you have to side with.

Likewise, but this being Bethesda, welp. :sigh:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

King Vidiot posted:

Fallout 3 wasn't gray or brown, it was green.

My favorite thing about the Fallout 4 E3 presentation was that I didn't see an obvious omnipresent color filter that made everything look way worse. Things were actually their own colors, and it looked nice.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I hope that the Institute is a faction that sees using androids as cheap labor as a good way to build a stable and functioning society for humans, even if some androids might not like being slaves, instead of a bunch of evil assholes who want to gently caress the Boston wasteland with their robot dicks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SunAndSpring posted:

a bunch of evil assholes who want to gently caress the Boston wasteland with their robot dicks.

Yeah, reserve this for the player character, I feel. Assuming the player really is an android, anyway.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

SunAndSpring posted:

I hope that the Institute is a faction that sees using androids as cheap labor as a good way to build a stable and functioning society for humans, even if some androids might not like being slaves, instead of a bunch of evil assholes who want to gently caress the Boston wasteland with their robot dicks.

Please don't expect anything but the most simplistic good vs evil storytelling from Bethesda, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

Please don't expect anything but the most simplistic good vs evil storytelling from Bethesda, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

They did a reasonable job with the Skyrim Civil war not being simple and straightforward 'good vs evil'.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

I dunno, Skyrim did ok with the Civil War. It was kind of boring, but both sides had their good and bad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope we get to see Desmond again. If nothing else I enjoyed that when you asked him anything about his background his response was basically "no, gently caress you". For some reason that seemed so much more natural than every other NPC telling some dolt their life story upon request.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SunAndSpring posted:

Nobody's robot's that long. Not even Long Robot Johnson.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, reserve this for the player character, I feel. Assuming the player really is an android, anyway.

I'm sure there'll be a mod for that.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Speaking of cockbotics, I'm positive they are going to kill off your spouse (but maybe not the baby) in the prologue and not leave you searching for him/her the whole game; that way after you build a house you can put a horgahn out front like a little garden gnome and a bunch of bisexual wastelanders will start proposing marriage.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
(X) ASSUME POSITION

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this fallout shelter game is pretty good shitter entertainment

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

khy posted:

They did a reasonable job with the Skyrim Civil war not being simple and straightforward 'good vs evil'.

SunAndSpring posted:

I dunno, Skyrim did ok with the Civil War. It was kind of boring, but both sides had their good and bad.

That's fair, I suppose. I wasn't a fan of the civil war stuff in Skyrim but I have to admit it was more interesting than most of what Bethesda's written post-Morrowind.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

That's fair, I suppose. I wasn't a fan of the civil war stuff in Skyrim but I have to admit it was more interesting than most of what Bethesda's written post-Morrowind.

yeah tbh I think them not bothering to do a 'good vs evil' thing paid off even if they didn't put anything in to replace it so it was kind of dull

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

If anything, the Brotherhood enemies in the combat gameplay trailer, that you kill in cool ways with great music behind it gives me hope that the ones in Boston will be the rear end in a top hat ones.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Really not digging the Minecraft stuff.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

frajaq posted:

If anything, the Brotherhood enemies in the combat gameplay trailer, that you kill in cool ways with great music behind it gives me hope that the ones in Boston will be the rear end in a top hat ones.

I actually hope we're killing the lovely DC ones.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Heteronormative rail-roaded start, did Bethesda learn nothing from Gamersgate? I guarantee my snowflake will come bursting from the Vault 111 closet and enter the wasteland with a rainbow flag and a breederizer lazer.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sankis posted:

I actually hope we're killing the lovely DC ones.

It would be funny if they're trying to invade Boston because they think they're better for it than the Institute.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Really not digging the Minecraft stuff.

Why?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

frajaq posted:

The rear end in a top hat ones are the real ones.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
ohh gamebryo engine how.... quaint

actually no, not quaint, what i actually mean is utter & complete garbage

I don't understand how they haven't developed their own inhouse engine after all this time & money. it's either greed or stupidity

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

It also makes Power Armor training actually seem necessary now that you are literally climbing into a human shaped tank instead of just putting on some future fully body armored suit, but it looks like both will be given to you very early on by the main story.

I'm reasonably sure that getting Power Armor early is going to be like the earlier Fallouts. Assuming the Power Armor quest is early on, I wouldn't be surprised that it's trashed to hell during the fight with the Deathclaw and repairing/rebuilding it is an ongoing thing. Sort of like how in certain games you start off as Max Level All Abilities Guy to give you a taste of what you eventually will be, but then knocks you down to a Level 1 Guy. You might get a suit of Power Armor early on that becomes your endgame armor, but in the interim its either a rebuilding project and/or a temporary thing.

Crabtree posted:

As for lovely vaults, these are products of a private company hired by the same old world that was fine with groups of scientists conducting all sorts of experiments on the general population to cut costs or create a weapon or tech before the enemy did. F.E.V. was developed as both cure for a goddamn New Plague released by China and a hopeful shortcut to infectious evolution of America. Of course their contingency plans for saving their desired portion of the human race are going to be mostly tainted by the same shortsighted profit margins, general sadism and incompetence that led them all to nuclear war.

My point is that I don't really like the "general sadism" aspect of it. There's plenty of reasons for Vaults to fail (shortsightedness in the seeking of profit, as you mentioned) without being Snidey Whiplash.

Ravenfood posted:

The rear end in a top hat ones are the real ones.

The through-line From 1-NV is that the 'real ones' are dead ones. They won't help the world outside their own, suffer for it. The Brotherhood that realizes that they can't just steal technology from tribals anymore and become part of society (The Widwest group, the Capitol Wasteland group) survives and thrives.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 15, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doesn't seem very "fallout" to me and I was never interested in the crafting and this is like that on steroids.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

DOMDOM posted:

ohh gamebryo engine how.... quaint

actually no, not quaint, what i actually mean is utter & complete garbage

I don't understand how they haven't developed their own inhouse engine after all this time & money. it's either greed or stupidity

The Creation Engine doesn't have Gamebryo. They've been using their own engine. Making your own engine doesn't mean it's not lovely.

Plenty of games have been made using gamebryo that were good.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 15, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doesn't seem very "fallout" to me and I was never interested in the crafting and this is like that on steroids.

Building a new thing (Civilisation/World/Town/Life/etc.) in the shadow of such massive destruction is kind of the entire core concept behind Fallout.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
What I really want is Bethesda and Sports Interactive to team up and produce Mutant Football Manager.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sankis posted:

The Creation Engine doesn't have Gamebryo. They have developed their own engine, it's just poo poo.

Bethesda spoiler:

The Creation Engine is literally Gamebryo with a different name. :ssh:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The base building stuff seems fairly neat but for someone with very little creativity like me I imagine I'll throw up 4 light panels and a staircase, call it a day and start searching caves and poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Building a new thing (Civilisation/World/Town/Life/etc.) in the shadow of such massive destruction is kind of the entire core concept behind Fallout.

Not one guy doing it with his bare hands.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Maybe the fact that they haven't done it while having the most money in the biggest stakes in doing it proves it can't be done.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Sankis posted:

The Creation Engine doesn't have Gamebryo. They've been using their own engine. Making your own engine doesn't mean it's not lovely.

Plenty of games have been made using gamebryo that were good.

Gamebryo for the most part has come to mean "that lovely engine they've been using since Oblivion" and yeah it needs to loving go. They own id, surely it's not impossible to build Fallout or Elder Scrolls in their engine. Isn't that what id is supposed to be good at? Or did John Carmack take all the magic with him when he left

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Games › Fallout 4: Trailer Textures' Tepid Tribadism

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

their own lovely engine which seems mysteriously heavily based in gamebryo (because it is)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

I love video games, I've been playing them all my life. The "gray and brown" thing is only brought up when the game is just gray and brown, like Fallout 3 was. It's not a catchphrase, it's a legitimate complaint. You can do some amazing things with game graphics and it's always disappointing when a developer chooses a boring color palette

Some of the initial videos had some great color in them, but then a bunch of the E3 footage was brown grass, brown dirt, grey structures, etc etc. This is worrying. I want the majority of the game to be more like the initial screenshots, with diverse colors

e: The fact that you think that a complaint about boring color palettes is a sign that someone dislikes video games in general tells us something about the sad state of the industry.

Have you checked your eyesight for colorblindness or made sure you screen that you view stuff on isn't completely desaturated?

Because one of the complaints I can't throw at Fallout 4 that I could lob at FO3 is the color palette.

Walrus Pete posted:

Gamebryo for the most part has come to mean "that lovely engine they've been using since Oblivion" and yeah it needs to loving go. They own id, surely it's not impossible to build Fallout or Elder Scrolls in their engine. Isn't that what id is supposed to be good at? Or did John Carmack take all the magic with him when he left
They've actually been using Gamebryo since Morrowind. All of Morrowind was made possible due to Gamebryo. Before that they were hacking their games together in self-compiled engines like Daggerfall.

Also just because ID has made new engines for them, doesn't mean they are suited for the type of open world exploration game that Fallout and TES are. In fact, changing the engine is really, really hard and a lot of work to arrive at pretty much the same point they are already at, and they'd have to relearn the new tools that come with a new engine.

We'd just get shittier games after a longer time.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 15, 2015

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Walrus Pete posted:

did you play rage? they managed to make a game engine worse than anything else on the market

quite a feat

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

DOMDOM posted:

did you play rage? they managed to make a game engine worse than anything else on the market

quite a feat

I didn't, but I thought I remembered people being impressed with it on the tech side, if not the gameplay. Maybe I got it backwards? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Deakul posted:

Bethesda spoiler:

The Creation Engine is literally Gamebryo with a different name. :ssh:

Gamebryo was something they licensed from Morrowind to New Vegas for their graphics. They stopped using it with Skyrim. I'm sure traces of it exist, just as traces of Quake 1 exist in Source. Bethesda's in house elder scrolls engine =/= gamebryo

• Locked thread