Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah.

I never liked the interpretation that they knew because it's way funnier to think the crusaders just get up to dumb stuff whenever they have a free moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The cast is also not that smart and never has been.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah.

I never liked the interpretation that they knew because it's way funnier to think the crusaders just get up to dumb stuff whenever they have a free moment.

Man, it's explicit.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 15, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Please do not hotlink images.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Please do not hotlink images.

Fixed. I knew there was something I was forgetting.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Momomo posted:

The cast is also not that smart and never has been.

Two teens, polnareff, and old joseph.

They're quick thinkers but oh my god are they dumb sometimes

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Exercu posted:

Man, it's explicit.
There were people in the anime thread who doubted it even then.

My point was even ignoring direct confirmation, it's still the funnier option.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's only because they can't accept that Joseph is a doofus.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Being a doofus is literally the best thing about Joseph.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Every Joestar is a dork, it runs in the family

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I feel very strongly that Jotaro's outfit in Stone Ocean is him trying to be the hip cool dad and failing miserably.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi Jojo manga thread. I've long been aware of the Jojo franchise and its characters since the MAME rom is in frequent rotations at parties among my friends, but I've only recently gotten into the manga. I'm really digging it, particularly when the style goes off the rails during the Jotaro chapters (vol 13 onwards?) I did a huge series of effort posts for the DBZ thread on the art of the Dragonball manga and I'm planning an effort post (or series of posts since it's getting a bit long) comparing the art of Jojo with the art of Dragonball, with a particular focus on Jojo's emotional intensity and the influences both manga have had on the punchman mangas that followed in their footsteps. Do any of you know of any essays on the art of Jojo or Jojo's influence? Google hasn't given me anything too satisfactory yet, but I'm sure there's something out there and I'd rather cite that than reinvent the wheel.

Also, question, does Dio actually have a bone nub in the shape of a heart on his forehead?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

bonewitch posted:

Every Joestar is a dork, it runs in the family

Not Jolyne. I think.

Xibanya posted:

Also, question, does Dio actually have a bone nub in the shape of a heart on his forehead?

Doesn't everyone?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not Jolyne. I think.

You mean Jolyne "I'm jealous that snails can gently caress everything" Kujo? No not at all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Also that bit with all the different ways to flip someone off.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Xibanya posted:

Hi Jojo manga thread. I've long been aware of the Jojo franchise and its characters since the MAME rom is in frequent rotations at parties among my friends, but I've only recently gotten into the manga. I'm really digging it, particularly when the style goes off the rails during the Jotaro chapters (vol 13 onwards?) I did a huge series of effort posts for the DBZ thread on the art of the Dragonball manga and I'm planning an effort post (or series of posts since it's getting a bit long) comparing the art of Jojo with the art of Dragonball, with a particular focus on Jojo's emotional intensity and the influences both manga have had on the punchman mangas that followed in their footsteps. Do any of you know of any essays on the art of Jojo or Jojo's influence? Google hasn't given me anything too satisfactory yet, but I'm sure there's something out there and I'd rather cite that than reinvent the wheel.

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but here's an interview Araki did that covers his approach on making manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

While this probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, Araki gave a lecture on his approach to making comics back in 2005 or 6. That link there is just an overview so it's not too meaty, but you might make some use of it.

There's also a known interview with him and Tsubaki Nekoi (of CLAMP fame), though most of it is about themes and the creative process.

Aside from those two links I'm not aware of much that's been written about him. I do know he published a book about his methods just this year, but it hasn't been translated (nor has his book on horror films). That said, what is known is that he's very respectful of Italian art, especially the classics: Leonardo de Vinci, Michelangelo. In his work for the Louvre Collection series, Rohan at the Louvre, he has his (sort of) author stand-in chide some sloppily-dressed comic book fans for disrespecting the museum, saying "If you really love manga, respect this place, okay? When you come to admire the masterpieces of great masters, you dress up better than that! Next time, put on a tie instead of dressing like you're going skateboarding!"

It's not much, but I hope it helps. I enjoyed your DBZ effort posts and look forward to more if you're going to include Jojo. I could go on and on about Jojo myself, but mostly thematic stuff and story structure which I doubt people would have much patience for.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, he has openly expressed his respect for Italian art in various interviews and author's notes and not just his work for the Louvre.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 15, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
There's also an interview on youtube with a crazy Japanese girl and you can see what kind of things he uses for references.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qM2vHahcqQ

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

While this probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, Araki gave a lecture on his approach to making comics back in 2005 or 6. That link there is just an overview so it's not too meaty, but you might make some use of it.

There's also a known interview with him and Tsubaki Nekoi (of CLAMP fame), though most of it is about themes and the creative process.

Aside from those two links I'm not aware of much that's been written about him. I do know he published a book about his methods just this year, but it hasn't been translated (nor has his book on horror films). That said, what is known is that he's very respectful of Italian art, especially the classics: Leonardo de Vinci, Michelangelo. In his work for the Louvre Collection series, Rohan at the Louvre, he has his (sort of) author stand-in chide some sloppily-dressed comic book fans for disrespecting the museum, saying "If you really love manga, respect this place, okay? When you come to admire the masterpieces of great masters, you dress up better than that! Next time, put on a tie instead of dressing like you're going skateboarding!"

It's not much, but I hope it helps. I enjoyed your DBZ effort posts and look forward to more if you're going to include Jojo. I could go on and on about Jojo myself, but mostly thematic stuff and story structure which I doubt people would have much patience for.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, he has openly expressed his respect for Italian art in various interviews and author's notes and not just his work for the Louvre.

Araki seems to be very enamored with Italy in general.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked how jonathan's death was preceded by him spilling a glass of wine

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Million Ghosts posted:

I feel very strongly that Jotaro's outfit in Stone Ocean is him trying to be the hip cool dad and failing miserably.

And yet, it still bothers me on a visceral level that he refuses to wear socks.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Thanks, melodicwaffle and Bad Seafood, those are actually very helpful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Million Ghosts posted:

There's also an interview on youtube with a crazy Japanese girl and you can see what kind of things he uses for references.

That is Shokotan and she literally broke her butt doing a Jojo pose on stage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be fair, it was the most butt-endangering pose.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jojo poses really should not be done unsupervised. You risk hurting yourself or others from the human body's inability to process such fabulousness.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

melodicwaffle posted:

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but here's an interview Araki did that covers his approach on making manga.

quote:

At the time, the "pyramid (tournament) formula" (A would fight & defeat B, then fight stronger character C, and on and on) was all the craze in Shonen Jump. But, Araki wondered, how strong could they get? Wouldn't the entire system collapse as soon as you reached the top, much like the economic bubble of the 80's in Japan? It wasn't like there could be an infinite number of levels of strength. So, he decided to create an RPG/board game-style system where characters traveled to different places to fight enemies, as seen in Jojo Part 3, where the protagonists traveled across Egypt while battling enemies

this is fuckin' beautiful

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
My favorite tidbit from all those links is Araki becoming inspired to write Valentine because of Independence Day and how a fighting president feels pretty "American". I love this immortal fairy man.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

FirstAidKite posted:

The only bit in part 4 I can honestly say I wasn't a fan of was the yukako/cinderella chapter. It's important for setting up that there's a person in morioh with the power to make people look different so that Kira can visit it later after sheer heart attack, and the cinderella power is cool, but I just don't like yukako and the manga suddenly acting like koichi and yukako should be together after yukako kidnapped and tortured him was just weird.

Also if Holly ever asked her father how he and her mother met he would have to recount the entirety of Battle Tendency. Koichi got off kind of easy if you think about it that way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Also if Holly ever asked her father how he and her mother met he would have to recount the entirety of Battle Tendency. Koichi got off kind of easy if you think about it that way.

????????

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dude, if my answer to "so how did you two meet?" was "I LAUNCHED AN AZTEC DOUBLE VAMPIRE INTO SPACE", I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

hoobajoo posted:

Dude, if my answer to "so how did you two meet?" was "I LAUNCHED AN AZTEC DOUBLE VAMPIRE INTO SPACE", I wouldn't trade that for anything.

"Well Holly, it started with the time that I was peeking at your naked grandmother and then my best buddy and I had to fist your mother at the same time to get an Aztec Doublevampire out of her"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"No, not the band."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xibanya, based on your posts in the DBZ thread, would I be mistaken in thinking you can read some Japanese? If you can, this book is going to be awesome for you. http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Hirohiko_Araki%27s_Manga_Technique It's actually pretty cheap if you find a place to buy it too. Only around the same price as a regular tankobon over there.

It's literally about how he goes about drawing his manga.

You could also probably write for days about the artistic evolution Araki undergoes throughout JoJo too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 16, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Aurain posted:

Xibanya, based on your posts in the DBZ thread, would I be mistaken in thinking you can read some Japanese? If you can, this book is going to be awesome for you. http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Hirohiko_Araki%27s_Manga_Technique It's actually pretty cheap if you find a place to buy it too. Only around the same price as a regular tankobon over there.

It's literally about how he goes about drawing his manga.

You could also probably write for days about the artistic evolution Araki undergoes throughout JoJo too.

In fact sans-dictionary I am solidly at N4, and shaky at N3; that and 250 yen will get you a cup of coffee (although it was mighty handy when I was tooling around the back roads of Gunma prefecture two weeks ago. マリファナを毎日吸います) But with a dictionary I could certainly puzzle it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Somebody on the Jojo forums bought a copy and translated the table of contents. Should help with figuring out which sections you want to puzzle out first.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, here's Rohan showing the proper way to perform a spirit bomb.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

Somebody on the Jojo forums bought a copy and translated the table of contents. Should help with figuring out which sections you want to puzzle out first.

The nice thing about that table of contents is that I can already tell that he's taken many cues from Lajos Egri (whose 1942 "The Art of Dramatic Writing" is basically the gold standard of creative writing guides) so in fact I could probably predict with reasonable accuracy what he's going to say about several of the topics, though I'm still intensely curious to read it for myself. "Keep the theme steady" and "when the story gets in the way" seem particularly Egri-esque (in fact I wrote a lot of :words: on the former in part 4 of my DB art series) so I strongly recommend picking up Egri's book if you really want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

I'm looking forward particularly to discussing the way Araki's art intentionally evokes intense emotional responses in the reader. If anyone wants a primer, Scott McCloud's "Making Comics" has a great set of pages on the balance a comic book artist has to strike between clarity and intensity.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

"No, not the band."

I imagine people say this a lot in JJBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, here's Rohan showing the proper way to perform a spirit bomb.

Not the weirdest thing rohan has done. I wonder how many people he killed in between going psychotic post-louvre and pre-josuke-face-punch