Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Sankis posted:

Remember when people got upset that they made their character gay by picking the confirmed bachelor perk in New Vegas?

That was the best.

haha poo poo thanks for the reminder, that was super great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PerpetualSelf posted:

What I really want is Bethesda and Sports Interactive to team up and produce Mutant Football Manager.

I'm already on the horn with T. Howard and we're hashing out details on the aforementioned "World's National Post-Apocalyptic Pastime". You have to understand, however, that Bethesda is comprised almost entirely of people who have never seen a football or a baseball, so it would be a very uphill struggle culminating in something that almost certainly won't resemble a sport.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

oblomov posted:

Are mod tools not being released till q1 2016? Looks like xbone mods are early 2016 and PS4 after that. It would auck of we have to wait for months to get mod tools on PC, makes me a bit unsure about the pre-order.

So it's just like Skyrim

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Walrus Pete posted:

haha poo poo thanks for the reminder, that was super great

Anyone have any kind of links? I'd love to laugh at some idiots.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
To be honest I was surprised when I picked that perk and it turned me into a full gaylord. Funny as gently caress though.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

maev posted:

To be honest I was surprised when I picked that perk and it turned me into a full gaylord. Funny as gently caress though.

I can understand not being familiar with the old slang "confirmed bachelor" but the icon was kind of a huge blazing dead giveaway man.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I chose that perk three levelos ago,not exactly knwing hwta it meant,and now im regreting the decision,Would it be worth it to go back to a save before i got it?I like the extra damage against the guys,but it technically makes my charecter gay,and i dont really want that..

The thing I find weird about peoples' reaction to it is that besides the damage bonus all it does is open up new dialogue options that let you flirt with dudes and poo poo. If you don't want to be a gay guy you can just... not choose those?

Kind of a "lady doth protest too much" thing imo. Also you can just take Lady Killer too.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

yea if the perk was "Confirmed Bachelor" and nothing else i could understand, but the icon and description spell out "yo this makes you gay" super clearly

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope at some point your character gets in Power Armor untrained or whatever, and it falls over and you're just walking in a circle on the ground with dangerous wildlife sniffing you as you desperately try and get your bearings for hours on end.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Walrus Pete posted:

I can understand not being familiar with the old slang "confirmed bachelor" but the icon was kind of a huge blazing dead giveaway man.

I was too busy reading that fantastic +10% extra damage to males :eyepop: Hell yeah give me some of that

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Kind of a "lady doth protest too much" thing imo. Also you can just take Lady Killer too.

ill take em both im hardcore

e; also i hope the draw distance in this game isn't poo poo (it will probably be) so i can see my giant flaming neon dick fortress from fenway park

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 16, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Joey McChrist posted:

ill take em both im hardcore

it's true, everyone knows bisexuals are the most hardcore of all humans.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Dandywalken posted:

I hope at some point your character gets in Power Armor untrained or whatever, and it falls over and you're just walking in a circle on the ground with dangerous wildlife sniffing you as you desperately try and get your bearings for hours on end.

Taking two steps results in you falling over and the death slow motion animation playing as you lie on the Wasteland floor, unable to get back up - forever.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Holy poo poo, this would own.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

maybe this is me being grognardy but I hope we don't get the Power Armor too early in the game, it always felt like a milestone in early games

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowMar posted:

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

CJacobs posted:

I was saying he's a dumbass for implying that not having a voiced protag means your character can't show emotion

You're a dumbass too hth

edit: i probably should be less hostile

Praetorian Mage posted:

On the other hand, the voice actor could end up delivering the line in a way that is totally wrong for your character.

And other game protagonists aren't "retarded mutes". They are saying stuff, there's just no voice acting for it.

Also, this is a role-playing game, so part of the idea is that you're supposed to be the character instead of just watching the character, so the emotion comes from you.

So one person claims that a voiceless character can show emotion (examples???), while another claims that the emotion comes from you. Oooooooooooook lmao. Yea that powerful, roller coaster of emotions evoked by fallout 3 dialogue...I'm sure the voiceless protag is gonna ruin it in FO4. :lol: When your character is voiced, they can actually engage with the NPCs and have cool cinematic shots of them actively moving around/talking (see: Witcher 3, Mass Effect series). When they're voiceless, your cipher stands there in first-person view while the robot NPC they talk to does the same thing. It's an old, lovely "feature" that's being done away with.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 16, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dr. Carwash posted:

So one person claims that a voiceless character can show emotion (examples???), while another claims that the emotion comes from you. Oooooooooooook lmao. Yea that powerful, roller coaster of emotions evoked by fallout 3 dialogue...I'm sure the voiceless protag is gonna ruin it in FO4. :lol: When you're character is voiced, they can actually engage with the NPCs and have cool cinematic shots of them actively moving around/talking (see: Witcher 3, Mass Effect series). When they're voiceless, your cipher stands there in first-person view while the robot NPC they talk to does the same thing. It's an old, lovely "feature" that's being done away with.

Agreeing with all of this

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If the protagonist can speak, that ruins the immersion of dumb nerds who are mute retards IRL who can't hold a simple conversation. They can't really role play if their character is some sort of suave dude who is able to say "Can I purchase this gun?" without making GBS threads themselves.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Voiced protagonists are good if they talk and act like I want them to, but they can be bad if they don't. For this reason I can't get into the Witcher series at all. I just want to murder Geralt every time he grumbles about rapeseed or whatever

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

It would be funny if they're trying to invade Boston because they think they're better for it than the Institute.
We're not even sure what year this game takes place in yet. If it's exactly 200 years after the war, they could have made yet another a new chapter that split off, which would be kind of dumb.

I'm hoping this is set 3-4 years after Fallout 3, much like the 4 year time gap between that and New Vegas. That could give DC Brotherhood ample time to build up a force and presence to move up north.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

If the protagonist can speak, that ruins the immersion of dumb nerds who are mute retards IRL who can't hold a simple conversation. They can't really role play if their character is some sort of suave dude who is able to say "Can I purchase this gun?" without making GBS threads themselves.

You're not really "mute" in Fallout though your character is "saying" things when you enter dialogue. It's just kinda silly/waste of time adding an actual voice to it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ShadowMar posted:

it's true, everyone knows bisexuals are the most hardcore greedy of all humans.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

We're not even sure what year this game takes place in yet. If it's exactly 200 years after the war, they could have made yet another a new chapter that split off, which would be kind of dumb.

I'm hoping this is set 3-4 years after Fallout 3, much like the 4 year time gap between that and New Vegas. That could give DC Brotherhood ample time to build up a force and presence to move up north.

I kinda want the Evil ending of Broken Steel to be canon but I know it will never happen

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Was so ready to hate this pre-E3, now I'm already budgeting time and money for this in November. The way power armor looks like it's handled is EXACTLY what I wanted it to be. The weapon customization looks to be a game-changer, as well. Laser muskets will be first stop on my play-through. Have they released any system requirements yet?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Mute PC only works for 1st person, as soon as third is involved it becomes awkward. I love Dragon Age 1, but the camera switching to my dumb expressionless face every time I picked an option was lame. I really don't understand Bethesda pushing 3rd person so hard, apart from showing off the PC. It looks like poo poo and created the problem of not being voiced feeling awkward.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Carwash posted:

So one person claims that a voiceless character can show emotion (examples???), while another claims that the emotion comes from you. Oooooooooooook lmao. Yea that powerful, roller coaster of emotions evoked by fallout 3 dialogue...I'm sure the voiceless protag is gonna ruin it in FO4. :lol: When your character is voiced, they can actually engage with the NPCs and have cool cinematic shots of them actively moving around/talking (see: Witcher 3, Mass Effect series). When they're voiceless, your cipher stands there in first-person view while the robot NPC they talk to does the same thing. It's an old, lovely "feature" that's being done away with.

It can be both. Some games convey a predefined character's emotions through text, and others let you choose dialogue options that fit what you're personally thinking.

Just because Fallout 3 did it badly doesn't mean it can't be done. One of my favorite role-playing moments of all time happened in a Neverwinter Nights module called Darkness Over Daggerford, and it didn't involve a single line of voiced dialogue. In fact, I dare say that it probably wouldn't have even been in the module if it had to be voiced, simply because of its subject matter. And I played this years after I played Mass Effect, so it wasn't because of nostalgia or because I didn't know any better.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 16, 2015

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Schurik posted:

I love Dragon Age 1, but the camera switching to my dumb expressionless face every time I picked an option was lame. I really don't understand Bethesda pushing 3rd person so hard, apart from showing off the PC. It looks like poo poo and created the problem of not being voiced feeling awkward.

For the first time in Bethesda history, it seems like your character turns and walks when you move sideways in 3rd person. A big part of the old Bethesda 3rd person jank was due to the fact that your character would always strafe instead of turning when you tried to move in any direction besides forward.

Anyway now that the protagonist talks, it's less likely there will be lines like "[SPEECH] You can't be President. You're an abortion of science. You need to die..." because they'll probably find out how stupid that kind of writing sounds when said out loud

Or maybe hilariously bad dialogue will still be there and we have Troy Baker saying that stuff out loud and it'll be great. It's a win-win, really.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 16, 2015

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Minorkos posted:

For the first time in Bethesda history, it seems like your character turns and walks when you move sideways in 3rd person. A big part of the old Bethesda 3rd person jank was due to the fact that your character would always strafe instead of turning when you tried to move in any direction besides forward.

It's actually not the first time. Skyrim does that too.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Praetorian Mage posted:

It's actually not the first time. Skyrim does that too.

Huh. I guess I never tried the third person in Skyrim because I figured it would be bad. Not that I played that game that much anyway.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
In the Xbox conference they named the player character "Phil Spencer" and gave him 10 Charisma and 3 Intelligence. :owned:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah nah okay I was ready to board the cynic train until it showed the badass gunstomisation and making pretty pretty palaces. Making a sweet pad to show off all the cool poo poo I found in the gameworld is pretty much why I play Bethsoft RPGS and this game looks pretty rad.

I just wish we could have New Vegas' writing in this one as well because man seeing all this stuff has made me really want to replay it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Actually in Fallout 2 your character speaks up unprompted a couple of times.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Skyrim still suffers from the magical floaty jumping and sliding but the animations are vastly improved

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Bholder posted:

Actually in Fallout 2 your character speaks up unprompted a couple of times.

For me groin shots was one of the defining features of Fallout. Seriously, there was no reason to cut that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Yaos posted:

For me groin shots was one of the defining features of Fallout. Seriously, there was no reason to cut that.

They cut the groin shot?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Songbearer posted:

Yeah nah okay I was ready to board the cynic train until it showed the badass gunstomisation and making pretty pretty palaces. Making a sweet pad to show off all the cool poo poo I found in the gameworld is pretty much why I play Bethsoft RPGS and this game looks pretty rad.

I just wish we could have New Vegas' writing in this one as well because man seeing all this stuff has made me really want to replay it.

Oh gently caress, your avatar reminded me that this game won't complete unless every home base has a stripper pole.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Yaos posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still point yur gun at someones groin

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Crabtree posted:

Oh gently caress, your avatar reminded me that this game won't complete unless every home base has a stripper pole.

if there isn't a stripper pole or pole object already available someone will mod it in, plus animations to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

ShadowMar posted:

Teenage girls are the most hardcore? :shrug:

Anyway, looking forwards to this new game, and the goons moaning on about it.

• Locked thread