Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

fuf posted:

Any tips on Mandarin / Cantonese web development?

Anything different about registering a domain with Chinese characters? Should I pick a domain with just Chinese numbers? (apparently this is a thing)

Anything to watch out for with font rendering?

And of course the one I'm dreading the most: ensuring accessibility for users in mainland China...

I hope you're getting paid a lot :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

revmoo posted:

I hope you're getting paid a lot :)

Uh, we'll see... but in theory I am going to make a goddamn fortune! :v:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

Uh, we'll see... but in theory I am going to make a goddamn fortune! :v:

Looks like somebody needs a lesson in exchange rates... :v:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Crossposting from the WP thread: I bought a "managed wordpress" hosting plan from godaddy. Looking around, I feel like I made a mistake because I'm having a hell of a time finding a control panel of any kind. I know how to install wordpress (jesus, it's usually just an "install wp" button) - did I buy some kind of training wheels package that assumes I can't even do that part?

Did I make a mistake?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

jackpot posted:

Crossposting from the WP thread: I bought a "managed wordpress" hosting plan from godaddy. Looking around, I feel like I made a mistake because I'm having a hell of a time finding a control panel of any kind. I know how to install wordpress (jesus, it's usually just an "install wp" button) - did I buy some kind of training wheels package that assumes I can't even do that part?

Did I make a mistake?

You made a mistake in that you gave GoDaddy money without being under duress, yes.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've worked on people's godaddy sites before, and I swear I haven't had any issues. Over the years my wife has accumulated around 12 domains all registered there, it just made sense (or seemed to) to run the hosting through the same place.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GoDaddy's support can probably help you, you're paying for it anyways. Most web devs don't use GoDaddy these days (nor would they probably purchase managed WP hosting) so you might not have a lot of luck here.

jackpot posted:

it just made sense (or seemed to) to run the hosting through the same place.

Just for future reference, this is rarely true and is especially untrue for GoDaddy. Companies like that shove hundreds of sites on a shared server which has a ton of downsides and very few upsides besides cost.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

jackpot posted:

Did I make a mistake?
We used GoDaddy hosting for a WP site in our office.

The managed hosting means that the core of WP is managed by GoDaddy. You instigate an install, and it's supposed to be kept up to date, secure and fast by GoDaddy, and you don't even have permission to access those core files.
You can still edit everything else - plugins, themes, .htaccess, but you're basically signing a contract with GoDaddy saying "hey, maintain Wordpress and keep it up to date for me".

If you want a "fire and forget" wordpress install, it's actually not a bad arrangement. It means you don't have to panic about every security update and ensure backups, because that's their job to stay on top of, and you can guarantee it'll be restored OK if it goes down for whatever reason.

That said, I whole heartedly agree with everyone's opinion of GoDaddy. Us using them for this service was entirely out of my hands. There are lots of other companies who provide this service, and provide it better.

To be fair, it's only gone offline once in the 4 months we've been using it. That just happened to be for the exact time and duration of a stakeholder presentation.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We use WP Engine at work, so far so good other than they don't allow masked redirects.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

jackpot posted:

Did I make a mistake?

I've never used managed WP hosting, but I would imagine an "install wp" button should be the exact sort of thing you're paying for? I would call them up and ask them.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Moment.js is tripping me out with some functionality that runs counter to my experiences with Objects in Javascript. When I grab a duration and output it to the console:
code:
var duration = moment.duration(end-start);
console.log('duration:', duration);
I get what looks like a regular Object:

But when I try to access, say, duration.data.hours Chrome spits out an error, "TypeError: Cannot read property 'data' of undefined". Of course, this is not the proper way to access hours according to the Moment docs - I'm supposed to retrieve it with duration.hours() (and indeed that does work). It's weird, though, that I still get back what looks like a regular object when I write it to the console. And yet I can't access any of its parameters as with other "typical" (?) Objects.

What's going on here? How did they accomplish this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It's a private object property.

e: ignore my terrible example

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 18, 2015

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

It's a private object property.
Oh, so private object properties will show up like normal Object properties in the console? Interesting. Is there a way to tell whether an object property is private or not based solely on console output?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Karthe posted:

Oh, so private object properties will show up like normal Object properties in the console? Interesting. Is there a way to tell whether an object property is private or not based solely on console output?

You want to read https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Object/defineProperty

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Karthe posted:

Haha no they don't. I'm an idiot. Munkeymon is right.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm migrating a domain from ultradns to route53 and I think I've got everything setup for a seamless transition, how do I test to confirm that though?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the link, now it makes more sense.

Now I've another question, this one related to Angular. Let's say I'm iterating through items and displaying the total number of hours of those items as such:
code:
<td
    ng-repeat="day in ctrl.dayNumbers"
    ng-class="{danger: THIS.value < ctrl.someNumber }">
        {{ ctrl.calculateColTotalHours(ctrl.items, $index) | asHrsMin }}
</td>
Is it possible to get the value of the <td> after the binding is calculated and use it to apply the style "danger" as per my pseudocode?

And I just realized that the filter will probably complicate things. I thought about calculating the total hours via ng-init but that won't update the value as items are added to or removed from ctrl.items...

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Karthe posted:

Thanks for the link, now it makes more sense.

Now I've another question, this one related to Angular. Let's say I'm iterating through items and displaying the total number of hours of those items as such:
code:
<td
    ng-repeat="day in ctrl.dayNumbers"
    ng-class="{danger: THIS.value < ctrl.someNumber }">
        {{ ctrl.calculateColTotalHours(ctrl.items, $index) | asHrsMin }}
</td>
Is it possible to get the value of the <td> after the binding is calculated and use it to apply the style "danger" as per my pseudocode?

And I just realized that the filter will probably complicate things. I thought about calculating the total hours via ng-init but that won't update the value as items are added to or removed from ctrl.items...

You can apparently use $index inside an ng-repeat scope to access the index of the array you're iterating through, so maybe you can use that to look up the value you're comparing.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Hey I'm trying to return some form data to a service that expects a json-like format. Ive been using FormData to collect a bunch of fields from my page, and then appending some other data as well that isn't picked up by just passing the form to the FormData object. So something really basic like this:
code:
var fd = new FormData();    
fd.append( 'hair_color'', document.getElementById('#haircolor' );

$.ajax({
  url: 'http://example.com/script.php',
  data: fd,
  type: 'POST',
  }
});
when I post this data it will post something like:
code:
{
   field1:value
   field2:value2
   hair_color:  red
}
but what my service is looking for is something more like:
code:
{
   field1:value
   field2:value
   head_features : {hair_color:red}
}
is there a way I can append to FormData this way?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are you sure you want to be using FormData? According to the docs it looks like it's designed for posting multipart/form-data content in plain name-value pairs. It might not support nested dictionaries the way you want to use them.

If you're doing a jQuery AJAX POST, you can just feed it any JS object as long as you specify JSON format:

code:
var url = 'http://example.com/script.php';
var fd = {
    field1: value,
    field2: value,
    head_features: {
        hair_color: 'red',
    },
};

$.post(url,fd,function(response) {
    ... do stuff with the return content here
},'json');
But it's not clear how well the web service will handle the data; there might be more $ajax tweaks you have to set if it isn't set up to deal with the data type properly. But this is what I generally do.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Never mind sorry

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 20, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

http://tympanus.net/Development/CardExpansion/index.html

Though I think those have some issues with there being too long of a delay between clicking and getting to the content, I love/hate seeing cool poo poo like that.

I love it because it's cool and beautiful.

I hate it because I'm so untalented.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

http://tympanus.net/Development/CardExpansion/index.html

Though I think those have some issues with there being too long of a delay between clicking and getting to the content, I love/hate seeing cool poo poo like that.

I love it because it's cool and beautiful.

I hate it because I'm so untalented.

I was just staring at this at work on Friday. It's both inspiring and making me jealous as hell of their ideas.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Here's a question for CSS wizards...I'm trying to use the clip-path property with transformation to achieve a 'card flip' effect for non-rectangular polygons. Which works fine and dandy for the most part, except the areas of the divs that are clipped off to create the polygons are being filled in with...weird stuff. Here is a Fiddle:

https://jsfiddle.net/st55qbn5/

Sometimes the area outside of the colored clip paths is just black, sometimes it appears to be filled in like so:

No idea why it appears to be harvesting the background from the rest of the screen, but alas, so it is. Any ideas on how I can keep the area outside the clip path transparent?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

Here's a question for CSS wizards...I'm trying to use the clip-path property with transformation to achieve a 'card flip' effect for non-rectangular polygons. Which works fine and dandy for the most part, except the areas of the divs that are clipped off to create the polygons are being filled in with...weird stuff. Here is a Fiddle:

https://jsfiddle.net/st55qbn5/

Sometimes the area outside of the colored clip paths is just black, sometimes it appears to be filled in like so:

No idea why it appears to be harvesting the background from the rest of the screen, but alas, so it is. Any ideas on how I can keep the area outside the clip path transparent?

I had almost this exact issue with clip paths and it turned out to be due to the fact they shared the same z-index as another complex element, in my case Google maps. Sticking the element at its own z-index solved it for me.

I have no idea why it does this, but I'm guessing clip paths are new enough that they're still buggy as all hell.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
So I'm really terrible at front-end dev but have to do some for a project, and running into some trouble with Bootstrap and modals. Basically I have two different modals in the HTML of one page, and two buttons, one to activate each of them. I've basically copied the examples shown here: http://getbootstrap.com/javascript/#modals , but with my own form fields. The problem I'm having is that the first modal on the page works when its button is clicked, but the second one doesn't work - the background fades but I never get the modal to pop up. If I comment out the first modal in the HTML source, then the second one starts working, so clearly there's some issue with me having two of these on the same page. Anybody familiar with this and know why having two on a page breaks? Is there some value that has to be distinct for different modals? I swear i've checked all the id attributes to make sure they're distinct between the two and can't really figure out what's going on

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
When in doubt, post code. Any of us could probably clear that up for you in two seconds if we could see the code for the modals.

Make sure the HTML for the modals are beside each other, not nested.
Check your HTML to make sure the ID for the modal is unique, and the data-target on the button which launches the modal includes the ID selector (so like, id="jeff" and then data-target="#jeff")

If still lost, post code. Link the raw HTML or whatever.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm still kind of torn about SEO. Wutup freelancers? How do you deal?

I tell people that their site is built in accordance with Google's webmaster guidelines and blah blah, but a couple of people have recently asked "is there anything else we can do to improve our rankings?"

I don't know whether to:
1) Tell them not to worry about it
2) Refer them to someone
3) Offer some kind of SEO service myself
4) ????

The problem with 2) is that I just don't know enough about SEO to be confident that I'm not referring them to some charlatan who is going to charge them huge sums for vague bullshit.

It's kind of the same problem as deciding whether to run my own servers - trying to decide between "learn it myself" and "get someone else to do it".

Do any of you offer "SEO Audits" or whatever? Is it worth it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you want to get the body thetans out of the website, sure.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I don't mean worth it for the website I mean is it worth offering that service.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fuf posted:

I'm still kind of torn about SEO. Wutup freelancers? How do you deal?

I tell people that their site is built in accordance with Google's webmaster guidelines and blah blah, but a couple of people have recently asked "is there anything else we can do to improve our rankings?"

I don't know whether to:
1) Tell them not to worry about it
2) Refer them to someone
3) Offer some kind of SEO service myself
4) ????

The problem with 2) is that I just don't know enough about SEO to be confident that I'm not referring them to some charlatan who is going to charge them huge sums for vague bullshit.

It's kind of the same problem as deciding whether to run my own servers - trying to decide between "learn it myself" and "get someone else to do it".

Do any of you offer "SEO Audits" or whatever? Is it worth it?

You sound like the type of person that just shouldn't be offering it. There are a lot of basics to it, using the proper syntax for example. There are also many SEM strategies, and if you're just an engineer taking a stab at it you're probably wasting your own time and the client's time/money.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have run across a dozen or so SEO experts and various SEO focused companies in the past few years. Every single one was feeding bullshit to my client and either doing nothing as far as I could tell or was doing the typical shady stuff to try and boost rank for the first month and then doing nothing.

Maybe there are real ones out there? I wouldn't know.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

The Dave posted:

You sound like the type of person that just shouldn't be offering it. There are a lot of basics to it, using the proper syntax for example. There are also many SEM strategies, and if you're just an engineer taking a stab at it you're probably wasting your own time and the client's time/money.

Ok so this suggests there is a legitimate world of SEO expertise out there somewhere. But how do I find it and distinguish it from this? :(

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Every single one was feeding bullshit to my client and either doing nothing as far as I could tell or was doing the typical shady stuff to try and boost rank for the first month and then doing nothing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

Ok so this suggests there is a legitimate world of SEO expertise out there somewhere. But how do I find it and distinguish it from this? :(

Here is the legitimate SEO advice you should give your clients: write compelling, relevant content and share it with the world. If it's good, people will link to it and others will find the site.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lumpy posted:

Here is the legitimate SEO advice you should give your clients: write compelling, relevant content and share it with the world. If it's good, people will link to it and others will find the site.

In response to that I get a blank stare, then a few weeks later "SEO company <x> is doing stuff for me now it's okay now!" and a month or two later "I think SEO company <x> is fixing my google rank soon" and a month or two after that "I got ripped off..."

When they want quick results which doesn't require effort on their part providing copy for the site I tend to lean toward doing an ongoing adwords campaign.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fuf posted:

I would say this is just out of realm unless you want to start spending your days reading about search.

This is a legit company that seems to really know what they're doing: http://seerinteractive.com

Writing good content isn't enough. You need to do research first. What is the client looking for? Is it realistic? What is the state of the market? Is running ppc ads going to be necessary? Will content marketing be necessary? What demographics are we trying to reach? Are there niche keywords you can rank high on more easily? Do you need a separate landing page for a specific target / keyword (probably)?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Lumpy posted:

Yeah like Wee Tinkle Wand says this doesn't cut it unfortunately. :(

Clients always seem to have read just enough about websites to be utterly convinced that SEO is a magical, technical necessity that's more important than anything else. They are desperate to spend ridiculous amounts of money on it. If I say nothing then they'll get ripped off by some lovely company.

Dave's list of SEO considerations makes me realise it's not something I really want to get into myself, so I guess the only option left is to find someone legit to pass the work on to.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you want to make it even less attractive: what's the role of social media for this brand?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fuf posted:

Dave's list of SEO considerations makes me realise it's not something I really want to get into myself, so I guess the only option left is to find someone legit to pass the work on to.

This is the best choice. If your client is willing to spend a bunch of money on it they can probably afford to hire a good firm. But "a bunch of money" in this context is a lot more than a couple thousand dollars a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

But if you could find someone local that does search that you'd trust you can form an agreement to feed each other clients and boost the work you actually care about.