Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The Xbone Rare Collection thing got posted to the SC3 Facebook group, and naturally one of the first comments on it were about how it might possibly make the N64 Conkur price drop. Did the WiiU release of Earthbound do anything to slay the bubble-price on the cart cost for the game? Or is this just wishful thinking again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

The plastic shell and buttons are completely garbage, but the PCB and sizes are identical to a real Saturn controller.

OK, that makes more sense, thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

The Xbone Rare Collection thing got posted to the SC3 Facebook group, and naturally one of the first comments on it were about how it might possibly make the N64 Conkur price drop. Did the WiiU release of Earthbound do anything to slay the bubble-price on the cart cost for the game? Or is this just wishful thinking again?

Speaking of which, Microsoft announced that many Xbox 360 titles will have backwards compatibility on the Xbox One now, and that this includes if you bought the game as a digital download on your 360 instead of as a disc.

Which means the time horizon for last generation digital downloads to no longer worked just got pushed way in the future, and that when 360 games become properly retro you won't necessarily need a 360 to play 'em.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

isn't it always wishful thinking?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

It's so weird to me that hint lines are dead and gone and free hint lines are even more distant...

It's automated, but Nintendo's is legit amazing in how its hints and information is organized. It doesn't play around, the first menu choice is "IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANY LEGEND OF ZELDA GAME PRESS 1!" And there's basically a fully voiced walkthrough of every Zelda game you can search by storyline point, item, dungeon number, whatever, it's crazy.

Captain Rufus posted:

Also I have to say holy gently caress at VGA Dreamcast. So good. I just now have 2 systems to reset fix...

Guilty Gear X and King of Fighters Evolution on VGA are awesome, don't delay!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

There is a reason sports games are basically the overgrown weed like herpes sores at every retro game store. And it isn't just because of the yearly update poo poo. ( though ea exclusivity at least curtails it nowadays a little bit.)

Sports games have been the most popular video game genre literally back to the very beginning of video games (Pong, anyone?). The giant system mover for the early Famicom was Golf. So even without the "always have a new version to sell people at full price" attitudes of companies when it comes to sports games, there's going to be a ton of them out there. And nerds who buy old games couldn't care less about sports games so they get to linger and rot.

There was a dip, but not a huge one. A lot of the people with carts now are people who want the carts and won't be satisfied with switching. The most impact this will have is a reduction of demand and even that probably won't be significant.

The release of Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U flooded the market with disk versions, but this isn't the same situation. Conker is too distant, the demand has become self sustaining, and the Xbone doesn't even have the audience appeal with Conker that the Wii U does for Metroid.

If you want a chance at getting a deal on this, buy the cart the week the collection gets released and cross your fingers on locating a bargain in that brief window when there's a flood of new stock.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Speaking of which, Microsoft announced that many Xbox 360 titles will have backwards compatibility on the Xbox One now, and that this includes if you bought the game as a digital download on your 360 instead of as a disc.

Which means the time horizon for last generation digital downloads to no longer worked just got pushed way in the future, and that when 360 games become properly retro you won't necessarily need a 360 to play 'em.

FWIW, it sounds like they're coding individual wrappers for games to make them work. It's not backward compatibility like anyone would use the term regularly, more like the PS2 library on the PS3.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, it sounds like they're coding individual wrappers for games to make them work. It's not backward compatibility like anyone would use the term regularly, more like the PS2 library on the PS3.

It doesn't require you to buy games again though, which is a pretty big deal (also the original Xbox games on 360 backwards compatibility was a series of game wrappers as well).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Do we know anything about who's behind the Rare anthology, whether it's ports v emulation, etc? Frank?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah. I'm pretty sure this is exactly what it is.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

It doesn't require you to buy games again though, which is a pretty big deal (also the original Xbox games on 360 backwards compatibility was a series of game wrappers as well).

This is the only way XBox/360 "emulation" is possible. The sdks are so varied in each version that you have to target them specifically to interpret the library calls.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Why? Your opinion was correct.

Cinematic RPGs were overdone but eventually they were figured out and done really well. PSX in general was a poo poo show for games in my opinion because the 3D was garbage and everything was in 3D for some stupid reason. All the 2D games are really solid though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have a new found love for 90s 3D aesthetic I can't really explain it. This is my favorite art tumblr right now for that very reason. Take those old games and give them a steady framerate and better controls and I'd play them all over again.

Going back to Earthbound chat I stumbled on that game by accident and instantly fell in love because there was literally nothing like it on any platform. Just being different is enough to stand out, it's how I got Mischief Makers and played it more than Goldeneye and Killer Instinct Gold despite the lamentations of my cousins.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

This is correct, hough here you put in the disk and while the disk is in you can play a digital download of the game. Unfortunately the selection of games looks like it will be about on par with XBox the First -> 360 compatibility though so I wouldn't get rid of the 360 just yet.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Neo Rasa posted:

This is correct, hough here you put in the disk and while the disk is in you can play a digital download of the game. Unfortunately the selection of games looks like it will be about on par with XBox the First -> 360 compatibility though so I wouldn't get rid of the 360 just yet.

Especially since I don't remember their Xbox -> 360 solution being all that great.

I specifically remember their JSRF emulation being jank as hell.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Sports games have been the most popular video game genre literally back to the very beginning of video games (Pong, anyone?). The giant system mover for the early Famicom was Golf. So even without the "always have a new version to sell people at full price" attitudes of companies when it comes to sports games, there's going to be a ton of them out there. And nerds who buy old games couldn't care less about sports games so they get to linger and rot.

So you're saying I can single handily create an artificial bubble by buying up all those $0.50 sports games from thrift, used games, and retro game stores?

Madden Madness, here I come! :shepspends:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

So you're saying I can single handily create an artificial bubble by buying up all those $0.50 sports games from thrift, used games, and retro game stores?

I end up gutting or destroying sports games so I'm helping you out. Together we can get Madden 95' up to $95 in maybe 95 years.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

The bulk of the data in modern video games are assets that universal. I would guess that you download a "patch" that's essentially the program code and then it reads the assets from the disk..

Bel Monte posted:

You'll need millions of dollars and a lot of time to drive the prices on those games up.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Do we know anything about who's behind the Rare anthology, whether it's ports v emulation, etc? Frank?

From the extensive IGN preview it looks like Rare is doing it mostly in-house, and I would guess emulating.

Looks pretty nice at any rate.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

All you need to know about the Rare collection is that it has Snake Rattle 'n Roll and is therefore very awesome

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Especially since I don't remember their Xbox -> 360 solution being all that great.

I specifically remember their JSRF emulation being jank as hell.

Microsoft released a list of 80~110 games or so that were listed as officially compatible. But in reality only about twenty of them worked without some major issues.

Random Stranger posted:

The bulk of the data in modern video games are assets that universal. I would guess that you download a "patch" that's essentially the program code and then it reads the assets from the disk..

This is reasonable, but they seemed pretty clear about the game itself being installed onto your XBox One.

Bel Monte posted:

I have a great story about this from when Blockbuster first dabbled in buying folks' used games. Journey back to the summer of 2005. GameStop, as it often would over the summers, was having a B2G1F sales on their used games. Blockbuster, at this same time in the summer of 2005 had an interesting promotion. Trade in ANY three games, and as long as the TOTAL value was $5 or higher, you could then go to their shelf and get ANY used game.

So we were in one of these "hub" kind of stores in suburban NJ that had a room with literally hundreds of old sports games that were $1.99 each along with other games that were very cheap, but had a somewhat decent trade in value at Blockbuster.

So my store manager and I, each day, would buy up like twenty-thirty pieces of these cheap games, then go to Blockbuster and trade them in with enough non sports ones so that you'd be over that $5 threshold so you could take any game (this could be done in one transaction don't worry, I worked at Blockbuster at one point I wasn't going to waste anyone's time that badly). So basically for each group of games you spent like $5 on total, you'd get a game you could then go back to GameStop and trade in for $20.

This repeated, with that higher GameStop credit being spent to buy more cheap sports games to bring to Blockbuster to get more games that had a higher GameStop value and so on.

At the end of a couple of weeks all in all I think we spent like $100 each on crap games, but ended up with around $550 in credit each, needless to say all my gaming needs were covered for a while. That poor Blockbuster Video though, those long racks they used? Basically like half of one was nothing but Madden 2002 now and it stayed that way for like a year.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 16, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neo Rasa posted:

Microsoft released a list of 80~110 games or so that were listed as officially compatible. But in reality only about twenty of them worked without some major issues.

A lot of that had to do with the 360 only being about 4 years newer hardware than the original Xbox.

Also there's 461 backwards compatible titles in the NA region, 122 is for Japanese region. Much more than 20 run fine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

It was 300 initially, actually, though they pulled some because they didn't work right. And in my experience a lot them were severely buggy. They did improve a bit over time, but they stopped with barely half the library available.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

A lot of that had to do with the 360 only being about 4 years newer hardware than the original Xbox.

Also there's 461 backwards compatible titles in the NA region, 122 is for Japanese region. Much more than 20 run fine.

That official listing was nowhere near the 200+ they list on Wikipedia now when the system first launched. They did expand the list over time (as well as remove many games) to be 450+ but I ran through like 200+ Xbox 1 games on the 360 even after its updates and the compatibility was never even close to as good as what the official list claimed. The games also would not work across all systems. As an example, Sniper Elite was a game listed as compatible, but with the fine print "may not work on some systems." It worked perfectly on my 360 but would not boot on my friend's 360. This isn't "compatible" to me and a not insignificant number of games on the list had this issue. There would also be very noticeable framerate issues, crashing, etc. throughout many of them.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

I end up gutting or destroying sports games so I'm helping you out. Together we can get Madden 95' up to $95 in maybe 95 years.

That's actually a great idea for making a blank generic display cart. Just buy a sports game no one cares about and steam off the label.

Random Stranger posted:

You'll need millions of dollars and a lot of time to drive the prices on those games up.

Slow returns on investments. Once those $0.50 games are worth even just $5, that's a huge increase. There will never be more of them made, so it will only get more inflated over time.

...It will still take millions, but who will be laughing then when I can swim in millions more of Madden-based retirement plans?! :capitalism:

Neo Rasa posted:

I have a great story about this from when Blockbuster first dabbled in buying folks' used games. Journey back to the summer of 2005. GameStop, as it often would over the summers, was having a B2G1F sales on their used games. Blockbuster, at this same time in the summer of 2005 had an interesting promotion. Trade in ANY three games, and as long as the TOTAL value was $5 or higher, you could then go to their shelf and get ANY used game.

That explains why my blockbuster had so many copies of sports games. Though I'm still kicking myself for not buying anything when it shut down. The gaming gold I could have had. :(

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Codiekitty posted:

I think it was a straight burn of the prototype dump. Do you know when was the easy mode hacked in, because I played the game back in 2009 and it was the version sold at NES Reproductions.

Hey I just wanted to follow up on my half deluded Mother 1 ramblings from yesterday. I saw a post in the E3 thread that finally cleared the fog. Tomato had made a translation patch for the Mother 1 + 2 GBA rom and had included an "Easy" ring that increased xp and lowered encounter rates. I had experienced this about 2 years ago when I had the flu and had played about half way through Mother 1 with the help of a Game Boy Player on the GameCube. Easy mode was only hacked in on the GBA version.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bel Monte posted:

That explains why my blockbuster had so many copies of sports games. Though I'm still kicking myself for not buying anything when it shut down. The gaming gold I could have had. :(

It's true, they tried to build up an inventory of used games FAST figuring they had enough extra $$$ to pay out for that, but it was just another in a list of stupid things Blockbuster did throughout the 2000s that lead to their end. Game Crazy went in the opposite direction, they had a system where the trade in value for a thing would decreased based on the store's inventory, so if one store kept getting copies of ____ it would get less and less for each successive customer. This hurt in the long run though because if anyone had a remotely popular game, they'd get a better deal somewhere else if it was a few months after it came out, so a lot of the Game Crazy stores ended up with some pretty dire stock.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I remember how Game Crazy only showed up in my hometown like, a year or two before the whole chain went bust. So it was like a magical source of dirt cheap Saturn and Dreamcast games for me, and I think I got a PSP GO there as well because they happened to be $15 cheaper than at Gamestop when I was looking. And then it vanished.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Our area was weird because we had like maybe one Hollywood Video in the whole region but several Game Crazy stores. Hollywood Video itself was stamped out and persecuted heavily by Blockbuster. As HV tried to entire the north east US Blockbuster would basically open four stores around every HV, it was crazy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

remember how a few days ago in this thread we were talking about how they'll never remake final fantasy 7

well lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Square Enix decided to remake remake FF7, coming first to PS4. I was very wrong about it as it's apparently not "too costly".

EDIT CUBEYYYYYY

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cubey posted:

remember how a few days ago in this thread we were talking about how they'll never remake final fantasy 7

well lol

I know. It's crazy.

I guess this means Nintendo has to announce Mother 3 for the US tomorrow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You think that's weird? Shenmue 3 Kickstarter:: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hope there's Morpheus support for real time 3D vase examination.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I forgot to post it when I listed it, but I'm selling a Sega Wondermega HWM-5010 on eBay if anyone's interested.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm 99% certain that some kind of cosmic disaster happened killing everyone on earth and now we're in some kind of Twilight Zone-esque gamer afterlife.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Random Stranger posted:

I'm 99% certain that some kind of cosmic disaster happened killing everyone on earth and now we're in some kind of Twilight Zone-esque gamer afterlife.

Now that all of the worst gamers have been sealed behind the gamergate, the worthy gamers can have everything they wanted.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

OK, seriously, what the gently caress is going on right now? Nintendo just shoves Mother 1 out there like it's just a coincidence they've been sitting on it for ages, Square Enix finally seems to be running so low on money or something that they hit the big red button of "FFVII Remake", and now Shenmue 3 is going on Kickstarter? Is there some sort of celestial alignment going on right now?

And I just noticed they're asking for two million. That's pretty hefty - I'm actually not sure this is coming together.

EDIT: Though they already have 100K, and it's going up incredibly fast. It might ride the hype far enough.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 16, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I am kinda worried about an FF7 remake tbh. I don't want them to introduce anything from the awful EU, I don't want them to change Cloud's personality to match the incorrect impression of him that the internet has made up in their minds, and I don't know how they'll make the backgrounds as detailed and interesting to look at without using pre-rendered mattes like the original game.

It's still cool that they are doing it though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Now that all of the worst gamers have been sealed behind the gamergate, the worthy gamers can have everything they wanted.

Finally, time enough at last to play all my games.

It's not fair! It's not fair!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Can the bubble burst now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

Can the bubble burst now?

A retrogame store where I can buy Super Mario Bros. 3 for $5? This must be heaven!

A retrogame store where they only have Super Mario Bros. 3? Well... it's still not that bad.

• Locked thread