Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Isn't "giblets" a collective term and not an actual body part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Isn't "giblets" a collective term and not an actual body part.

Yes. Gizzard are giblets but giblets aren't necessarily gizzards. That said, I don't know how to cook any of it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Batter and deep fry.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Drifter posted:

Are there any particularly standout and unique things to do with 3/4 to a pound of pitted dates? I'm completely blanking.

I have other things to add to my smoothies, so none of that tasty business. Also, like, reasonable effort, I don't want to have to simmer them in Nepalese dry ice for six days or gently fold in jaguar farts or anything.

You could make maamoul or date-filled cookies.

Speaking of dates, anyone know if 'Al-Medina' is a type of date? Apparently it's a brand but I couldn't find any information about it being a variety. I bought a hand-written package of them a while back and they were the best dates I've ever had. They were deglet-noor sized but very caramel like and not dry.

Also take Wiggle's advice for giblets and apply it to the dates (I can only imagine what that would be like).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Eeyo posted:

You could make maamoul or date-filled cookies.

Speaking of dates, anyone know if 'Al-Medina' is a type of date? Apparently it's a brand but I couldn't find any information about it being a variety. I bought a hand-written package of them a while back and they were the best dates I've ever had. They were deglet-noor sized but very caramel like and not dry.

Also take Wiggle's advice for giblets and apply it to the dates (I can only imagine what that would be like).

Pretty good if you stuff the dates with cream cheese first and then top the finished fried dates with powdered sugar. They will also rot your teeth but be worth it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pretty good if you stuff the dates with cream cheese first and then top the finished fried dates with powdered sugar. They will also rot your teeth but be worth it.

Geeze more like Mr Jiggles

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I was inspired by some inch-thick bone-in pork chops at the meat market. However, I've never cooked pork chops.

What's the best way to go about it, preferably with garlic and rosemary in a way that will go nicely with the baby red taters I need to use up?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Batter and deep fry.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

EVG posted:

I was inspired by some inch-thick bone-in pork chops at the meat market. However, I've never cooked pork chops.

What's the best way to go about it, preferably with garlic and rosemary in a way that will go nicely with the baby red taters I need to use up?

Kenji has a pretty good guide here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-pork-chops-blah.html

Short version: cook in a low oven to 110 or so, into a hot pan, add butter and aromatics towards the end (garlic and rosemary would be great here), and baste until you get a nice crust. Be sure to rest before carving.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
hello food men! once again its time to risk sounding dumb but I found a jar of ghee in the ridge that's at least a couple years old, is it ok to use it? there is no expiration date printed on it and it looks ok

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Haverchuck posted:

hello food men! once again its time to risk sounding dumb but I found a jar of ghee in the ridge that's at least a couple years old, is it ok to use it? there is no expiration date printed on it and it looks ok

ridge. i mean refrigerator, not a high cliff

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haverchuck posted:

Clarified butter and stuff have had their moisture removed, so it really only goes bad if it oxidises, after a longish time. If it doesn't smell off I'm pretty sure you're good to go. I'd say you're less likely to get sick from it and more likely to experience bad flavor if it's gone bad, so give it a shot.

So long as you've kept it dry and it's been in that constant, low temperature environment I doubt you'll have any issues.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I just moved into an apartment with old style electric coil stoves tops. I'm looking to buy two pans, one for high heat searing meats and another for lower heat sauteing vegetables and making eggs, etc. Should I be looking for something with a copper core for the high heat sear? What should I be looking for in the lower heat pan? I don't mind spending a little bit more (within reason) to invest in some quality.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Drifter posted:

Clarified butter and stuff have had their moisture removed, so it really only goes bad if it oxidises, after a longish time. If it doesn't smell off I'm pretty sure you're good to go. I'd say you're less likely to get sick from it and more likely to experience bad flavor if it's gone bad, so give it a shot.

So long as you've kept it dry and it's been in that constant, low temperature environment I doubt you'll have any issues.

im going to use it. thank you friend!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

madkapitolist posted:

I just moved into an apartment with old style electric coil stoves tops. I'm looking to buy two pans, one for high heat searing meats and another for lower heat sauteing vegetables and making eggs, etc. Should I be looking for something with a copper core for the high heat sear? What should I be looking for in the lower heat pan? I don't mind spending a little bit more (within reason) to invest in some quality.

For high heat searing cast iron is always a good option if you make sure to take care of it, cheap too, it does take a while to heat up though, if you want to spend more and don't like cast iron for whatever reason get an All Clad 12 inch pan, those work great for searing and lots of other things. For low heat I'd grab this, it's the best nonstick pan I have ever used, even heating, very fast heating, superb nonstick coating and very heavy duty.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Haverchuck posted:

Your question has already been adequately answered, but to expound, just about any fat will be obvious once it goes bad: there's a very characteristic scent of rancidity. Just sniff it!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of things going bad, I bought a huge tub of Thai curry paste and realized it was past the best before date. Does that stuff go bad at all? I keep it in the fridge and I have no issues whatsoever making it once a week if I have to. I could freeze it just to be safe, but I assume it's one of those "you'll know if it's off from smell/visible mold/faint sound of backwards Latin" deals.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone have relatively easy recipes for beets? I'm currently living in downtown Moscow, Russia and my available places to by food are a little erratic in their selections. (And sometimes the old ladies maning the stands will just refuse to sell me some of the items--not all, just some--for Reasons.) But I can always get beets! And shallots, weirdly. I also don't have an oven. Mostly what I've been doing is a version of borscht and a beet risotto and I am getting so god damned bored with it.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Drifter posted:

Are there any particularly standout and unique things to do with 3/4 to a pound of pitted dates? I'm completely blanking.

I have other things to add to my smoothies, so none of that tasty business. Also, like, reasonable effort, I don't want to have to simmer them in Nepalese dry ice for six days or gently fold in jaguar farts or anything.

not sure about 'standout and unique' in your part of the world, but sticky date pudding with butterscotch.
yum

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Citizen Rat posted:

Anyone have relatively easy recipes for beets? I'm currently living in downtown Moscow, Russia and my available places to by food are a little erratic in their selections. (And sometimes the old ladies maning the stands will just refuse to sell me some of the items--not all, just some--for Reasons.) But I can always get beets! And shallots, weirdly. I also don't have an oven. Mostly what I've been doing is a version of borscht and a beet risotto and I am getting so god damned bored with it.

As you don't have an oven I would recommend steaming them (roasting is my favorite due to the caramelisation), wash them gently in warm water trying not to brake the skin. The steam them for 25 minutes, before letting them cool enough to handle and remove their skin.

Once cooked my favorite uses for the cooked beetroot is the classic beetroot and goats cheese salad. In basic terms a salad of cooked beats, rocket, goats cheese, toasted walnuts (or even better candied walnuts), fried pear and a balsamic glaze.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

For high heat searing cast iron is always a good option if you make sure to take care of it, cheap too, it does take a while to heat up though, if you want to spend more and don't like cast iron for whatever reason get an All Clad 12 inch pan, those work great for searing and lots of other things. For low heat I'd grab this, it's the best nonstick pan I have ever used, even heating, very fast heating, superb nonstick coating and very heavy duty.

I think Im going to go with a cast iron for the high heat application. That non stick pan looks pretty awesome but is pretty pricey. Any recommendations for something a bit cheaper?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Google is giving me conflicting advice, so I turn to goons. Bought corn on the cob, in husks, which I'd normally eat the same day, but now my plans have changed.

Do I put 'em in the fridge, or keep them at room temp? I'm not worried about rot since I'll get to them tomorrow, but more about the sugar turning to starch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Keep them in the fridge

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

twotimer posted:

not sure about 'standout and unique' in your part of the world, but sticky date pudding with butterscotch.
yum

Oh man, I always forget about desserts, especially cakes. After I had baked dates with feta and other poo poo, which was fuckin' delicious, I went out and bought more dates to make this beauty. Thanks for the suggestion.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I wanna make a buffalo chicken salad (as in, a green salad with buffalo sauce'd fried chicken on top, not a buffalo sauce flavored mayo chicken salad) tonight. My fried chicken is on point and i made some excellent blue cheese dressing the other day that will serve just fine, but I'd like the veg and other accompaniment to be something other than the lettuce variant / carrot / onion combo that I see in every recipe online. Any suggestions?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rj54x posted:

I wanna make a buffalo chicken salad (as in, a green salad with buffalo sauce'd fried chicken on top, not a buffalo sauce flavored mayo chicken salad) tonight. My fried chicken is on point and i made some excellent blue cheese dressing the other day that will serve just fine, but I'd like the veg and other accompaniment to be something other than the lettuce variant / carrot / onion combo that I see in every recipe online. Any suggestions?

You should use cabbage to make a slaw and dress it with your blue cheese dressing, and put the chicken on top of that (or fry them in small tenderloin-sized pieces).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

rj54x posted:

Make korean-style lettuce wraps with a vinegary slaw (or creamy to cut the acidity in the buffalo sauce?), a corn salad, sliced radishes and the buffalo chicken to replace the usual meat.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 15, 2015

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

I had the best vegetables the other day at Cheesecake Factory, of all places. I looked on the menu and they're escabeche vegetables - they were cold, seemed *almost* raw with a nice tang and crunch to them. I've google escabeche and most recipes seem a lot more pickled than these were. Is that what they are traditionally like? Or will cooking them like this yield similar results? It was a mix of carrots, cauliflower, and cucumbers.

http://www.food.com/recipe/escabeche-pickled-vegetables-134223

Any tips/better recipes appreciated!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there any trick to getting old flavor out of Tupperware? I put the Tupperware in the dishwasher, it looked clean, but after a night in the fridge, my oatmeal tasted like chili.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Make korean-style lettuce wraps with a vinegary slaw (or creamy to cut the acidity in the buffalo sauce?), a corn salad, sliced radishes and the buffalo chicken to replace the usual meat.

Sometimes you really hit it out of the park. I want to eat that right now.

Susical posted:

I had the best vegetables the other day at Cheesecake Factory, of all places. I looked on the menu and they're escabeche vegetables - they were cold, seemed *almost* raw with a nice tang and crunch to them. I've google escabeche and most recipes seem a lot more pickled than these were. Is that what they are traditionally like? Or will cooking them like this yield similar results? It was a mix of carrots, cauliflower, and cucumbers.

Escabeche are cooked pickles, but how much you cook them is entirely up you. The reason that recipe has different cook times is that the various veggies involved require different amounts of cooking to get them to a similar level of firmness/softness.

Quick pickle veggies are loving awesome, we make them all the time in our house. They can be made hot or cold, cooked or raw. You can reuse the brine basically forever, as long as you boil it between batches. You can even re-use commercial pickle brine! It's almost impossible to gently caress up, so basically you are just going to have to experiment and see what you like!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there any trick to getting old flavor out of Tupperware? I put the Tupperware in the dishwasher, it looked clean, but after a night in the fridge, my oatmeal tasted like chili.

Nope, no trick. Just keep soaking it and washing it, and eventually it will come out. If not, you can only put cumin-friendly things into the chili container.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No trick for the Tupperware you have, but I'd advise using glass storage containers since they don't absorb flavors or odors.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

To be honest, oatmeal that tastes like chili tastes better than 99% of oatmeal, so it's not a total loss.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I usually just have a separate set of tupperwares for things that are strongly acidic / tomato based / heavily spiced. Once the flavor (and discoloration) is in there, it's really hard to get out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oatmeal is one of the most unfairly maligned dishes ever. Yes, if you just boil some oats in water it's going to be boring, but you don't refuse to season other food and then declare it bad, so that hardly seems like a fair shake for oatmeal.

Here's how I do mine. Rolled oats, not instant (use steel cut if you want, to me part of the appeal is that it's fast and requires no premeditation). In the pot when boiling: dried cranberries and oats. In the bowl: walnuts, almonds, pecans, a little pat of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon. You can use maple syrup instead of brown sugar, that's good too.

The only place I ever ate oatmeal growing up was at my grandmother's. She used instant oatmeal and didn't put anything else in. I thought I hated oatmeal for years. It turns out I love oatmeal, and you should too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

guppy posted:

Oatmeal is one of the most unfairly maligned dishes ever. Yes, if you just boil some oats in water it's going to be boring, but you don't refuse to season other food and then declare it bad, so that hardly seems like a fair shake for oatmeal.

Here's how I do mine. Rolled oats, not instant (use steel cut if you want, to me part of the appeal is that it's fast and requires no premeditation). In the pot when boiling: dried cranberries and oats. In the bowl: walnuts, almonds, pecans, a little pat of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon. You can use maple syrup instead of brown sugar, that's good too.

The only place I ever ate oatmeal growing up was at my grandmother's. She used instant oatmeal and didn't put anything else in. I thought I hated oatmeal for years. It turns out I love oatmeal, and you should too.

No, I like oatmeal. Chili is just better :colbert:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What goes with merguez?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rj54x posted:

I usually just have a separate set of tupperwares for things that are strongly acidic / tomato based / heavily spiced. Once the flavor (and discoloration) is in there, it's really hard to get out.

Good to know. I'll start labeling and getting some glass ones instead of plastic.

I just make my oatmeal with salt, brown sugar, and raisins. It basically ends up tasting like a less sweet oatmeal raisin cookie, and if you don't like the sound of that, that's your problem.

I like chili, but not for breakfast.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

madkapitolist posted:

I think Im going to go with a cast iron for the high heat application. That non stick pan looks pretty awesome but is pretty pricey. Any recommendations for something a bit cheaper?

It's a bit pricey up front but in the long run it will save you money because it's much more durable than consumer grade pans, plus it out preforms any consumer grade nonstick pan I have ever used. My previous T-Fal one lasted about a year and a half before it started really losing it's nonstick properties and it also had problems with uneven heating and warping.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ALL non-stick pans are fragile, and they wear out.
The only pan that lasts forever is cast iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's a http://slickdeals.net/f/7919847-all-clad-online-vip-sale-up-to-76-off deal going on now for all-clads.

Non Sticks shouldn't be going above medium so I'd just grab an Ikea one or two and replace after a year unless you need one for induction, in which case get an all clad non-stick. Use wood/plastic only and it'll be fine. Performance based non sticks are a bit of a sham IMO as it'll only take one night of being really drunk/careless/stupid loving guest to ruin one regardless of price.