Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

ErIog posted:

This is the moment where the right wing picks up her cause.

I'm surprised there's no "Rachel Dolezal is a transracial hero just like Bruce Jenner is a transgender hero :smug:" 'thinkpiece' out from Matt Walsh yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

DemeaninDemon posted:

So can I steal the amount on my car loan from the lender then use that to pay off my car loan?

In Chris Christie's vision for America you can do something similar! He wants students to be able to be able to receive tuition in exchange for a cut of the speculated future earnings. A free market in student futures would necessarily require a thriving market in the opposing investment positions.

So as a white straight cis male you could receive tuition and student living expenses in exchange for a cut of your future earnings. Use some of that money to create a shell company in the Bahamas for a few thousand dollars. Have that company buy the short position in your future which will be very cheap to do since you're a white straight cis male who's majoring in a STEM field whose future has been AAA rated by Very Smart Investment People.

Then you party your brains out on investor money for 2 semesters, drop out the next year, and ride the money you made shorting your own future off into the sunset. If anyone bitches at you about it just give them a copy of The Big Short, and yell "I learned it from you, Dad!"

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 16, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In case this is still a surprise to anyone - or you just need more ammo in an argument... http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/cdb48b58-139a-11e5-aa7f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3dBDtR900

quote:

When the rich get richer, a country’s economic health can suffer. But if the poorest members of a society start climbing the wealth ladder, then national growth can receive a boost.That was the message on Monday from economists at the International Monetary Fund who have raised the tempo in the debate on global inequality.

Previous IMF research has pointed to redistributive policies having benign effects on countries’ coffers. Work produced by the fund, as well as by others including French economist Thomas Piketty, have prompted vigorous debate in economic circles. But a new research paper, based on data from 159 advanced and developing economies for the period 1980 to 2012, goes further, and establishes a direct link between how income is distributed and national growth. The IMF economists found that when the income share of the richest 20 per cent of the populations of these countries increased by one percentage point, gross domestic product growth ended up 0.08 percentage points lower in the following five years, “suggesting that the benefits do not trickle down”. The same one percentage point increase in income share for the poorest 20 per cent in these economies was associated with a 0.38 per cent increase in growth. That positive relationship also held true for the middle class, the economists found.

The research was hailed on Monday by poverty campaigners, who said it marked the death of “trickle-down economics”. Why those patterns held true, the authors said, was not wholly clear. Among the possible theories was that higher inequality can lead to under-investment in the education of poor children and lower labour productivity as a result. “Increasing concentration of incomes could also reduce aggregate demand and undermine growth, because the wealthy spend a lower fraction of their incomes than middle- and lower-income groups,” they wrote.

But the findings, which are likely to resonate with those pushing for governments to do more to address inequality, were unequivocal on the economic impact of wider inequality, the authors said. “Widening inequality has significant implications for growth and macroeconomic stability,” they wrote. It can concentrate political and decision-making power in the hands of a few, “lead to a suboptimal use of human resources, cause investment-reducing political and economic instability, and raise crisis risk”.

Nicolas Mombrial, Head of Oxfam International’s office in Washington DC, said: “The IMF proves that making the rich richer does not work for growth, while focusing on the poor and the middle class does. “By releasing this report, the IMF has shown that ‘trickle down’ economics is dead; you cannot rely on the spoils of the extremely wealthy to benefit the rest of us.” He added: “The IMF has set off the alarm for governments to wake up and start actively closing the inequality gap. The message to them is pretty clear: if you want growth, you’d better invest in the poor, invest in essential services and promote redistributive tax policies.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's a floor speech by Chuck Grassley about the Magna Carta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSe3yqhUkss

As an Iowan, I am honored to have the only Senator to have fought against the rebel barons under the banner of King John.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Fried Chicken posted:

I mean he flat out spells it out in numbered steps

It creates a 350 million tax hike, a 350 million fee hike, and a 350 million tax credit, thus they raise 350 million without "raising taxes" and without "raising fees" because you get to pick what you want to use it for. It's taking the mentality behind bill title-ing as a political strategy and applying it to policy.

My eyes rolled back into my head and I started screaming, so I didn't pay too much attention to the article. It reads a lot like I imagine conservatives would think Mother Jones would sound like.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DemeaninDemon posted:

We're mad because our beer isn't enjoyed beyond the alcohol. :qq:

Prohibition's over; there's nothing wrong with this now. :cheers:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

theshim posted:

I...but that...what? :psyboom:

So let me get this straight. He created a fee for students, then a tax break to cover the amount so the students don't actually pay anything, and now he can say to Grover Norquist "neener neener, it's a tax break here so I can add taxes elsewhere"? Is that it?

Fees and fines aren't taxes, hth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That suit by the former head of AIG against the government was decided today. The judge did side with Greenberg's argument that the government acted improperly when they bailed out AIG and took about 80% of the equity as payment, however he refused to grant damages. He made it pretty clear in his decision that had the government not acted to bail out AIG, the company would have filed for bankruptcy and shareholder value would have been zero, and therefore he couldn't award any damages since they saved the company and the shareholders still got paid.

It's still a bunch of crap that he can successfully sue the government for saving his company though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/b...v=top-news&_r=0

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Did the word "shitheel" come up anywhere in his decision?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The deadline to pass the trade bill in the House has even extended to July 30.

Hey, that just happens to be when the highway bill expires. Probably a coincidence...

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

James Garfield posted:

I'm surprised there's no "Rachel Dolezal is a transracial hero just like Bruce Jenner is a transgender hero :smug:" 'thinkpiece' out from Matt Walsh yet.

Already been done to death. Walsh was too slow on the trigger this time

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Version of the quote of the day with more context, "In order to get a deal that meets these high standards, the President should listen to and work with his allies in Congress, starting with Nancy Pelosi, who have expressed their concerns about the impact that a weak agreement would have on our workers, to make sure we get the best, strongest deal possible. And if we don't get it, there should be no deal." ~ Hillary Clinton, on TPP, not TPA, effectively saying nothing.

Ummmm you can't conclude that from the information presented. If Nancy has taken a specific stance on the TPP then Hillary is endorsing that stance.

A quick Google says ...

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/06/12/3669269/pelosi-bashes-fast-track/

Pelosi has specific objections to the TPP vis-a-vi how it interacts with climate change regulation that she wants addressed. Given Clinton's long history of heavy involvement on climate issues - and the sheer amount of personal money she had invested into them - she doubtless shares these concerns and wants them addressed.

So Hillary is saying several very specific things there. The most important being that she and Nancy have enough votes to gum up the works if this issue is not addressed.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stereotype posted:

Wikipedia still has a link to an article reporting that Scalia made a comment referring to Jack Bauer. However it, and many other articles on the subject, link to a non-existant Globe and Mail article. There are probably 30 articles that all link to each other in a big web, so I'm tempted to believe it isn't true until I see an actual transcript. I can see Oliver being duped by it though.

The Globe and Mail changed up their links since 2007, apparently.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

FlamingLiberal posted:

That suit by the former head of AIG against the government was decided today.

It's still a bunch of crap that he can successfully sue the government for saving his company though.

Here's a point for you. Since he won, he can't appeal and judge-shop some more. Or open it in another court.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Warcabbit posted:

Here's a point for you. Since he won, he can't appeal and judge-shop some more. Or open it in another court.

When you put it in that framing, it sounds like the judge pulled a :iceburn:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Warcabbit posted:

Surely he can appeal the damages, can't he?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Surely he can appeal the damages, can't he?

Nope!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

When you put it in that framing, it sounds like the judge pulled a :iceburn:

Masterful. It's like inverse double jeopardy.

Judge should have awarded a negative number of dollars in damages. Let the fuckers puzzle that one out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

That suit by the former head of AIG against the government was decided today. The judge did side with Greenberg's argument that the government acted improperly when they bailed out AIG and took about 80% of the equity as payment, however he refused to grant damages. He made it pretty clear in his decision that had the government not acted to bail out AIG, the company would have filed for bankruptcy and shareholder value would have been zero, and therefore he couldn't award any damages since they saved the company and the shareholders still got paid.

So basically he gave them the favor of the decision in that the US government acted improperly, but since it was in the process of saving their asses, they couldn't reasonably claim to have been harmed and thus were awarded zero dollars and zero cents in damages?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FAUXTON posted:

So basically he gave them the favor of the decision in that the US government acted improperly, but since it was in the process of saving their asses, they couldn't reasonably claim to have been harmed and thus were awarded zero dollars and zero cents in damages?

"The defendant did, in fact, violate your property rights while running into your house to save your children from the fire."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
This whole thing was so stupid that the judge basically told him he might be right but the government was a Good Samaritan and as such the shitlord plaintiff can't be awarded damages.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

It's a moral victory but a financial defeat for a man who gives no fucks about morals but loves money.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Does it set any precedent that could be harmful later? That'd be my main concern.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Peepers posted:

It's a moral victory but a financial defeat for a man who gives no fucks about morals but loves money.
I hope he enjoyed paying those lawyers

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Supraluminal posted:

Does it set any precedent that could be harmful later? That'd be my main concern.

It sounds like it set a precedent for awarding 0 dollars and 0 cents to bailed out rich people complaining about how they were bailed out. :v:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

How exactly did the government "act improperly" when they bailed these fuckers out exactly?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Interweb posted:

How exactly did the government "act improperly" when they bailed these fuckers out exactly?

By considering it a loan and not a strings-free grant, probably.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh, right, he didn't get court expenses, did he? :getin:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Greenberg's in his early-90's and doesn't give gently caress one about money anymore. For him it was less about the cash than it was someone telling him "no" for the first time in his adult life.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

The Fifth Amendment posted:

nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

That's how. The judge essentially ruled that it was a violation, but that just compensation (technically not just compensation because it was an exactions claim, so the first half, not a takings claim) for the violation was zero since the value absent a taking would have become zero.

Basically "we broke your door down saving you from the fire that burned your house to ashes. Yeah, we broke your door, but you wouldn't have had a door after the fire anyway."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, right, he didn't get court expenses, did he? :getin:

Motions for fees come after judgment. He might still get them; I have no idea what the standard is for fee shifting in exactions cases (if there is a statutory authorization for it, which there may not be.) He wouldn't get EAJA fees though, since he fails the net worth test.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

That's how. The judge essentially ruled that it was a violation, but that just compensation (technically not just compensation because it was an exactions claim, so the first half, not a takings claim) for the violation was zero since the value absent a taking would have become zero.

Basically "we broke your door down saving you from the fire that burned your house to ashes. Yeah, we broke your door, but you wouldn't have had a door after the fire anyway."

Motions for fees come after judgment. He might still get them; I have no idea what the standard is for fee shifting in exactions cases (if there is a statutory authorization for it, which there may not be.) He wouldn't get EAJA fees though, since he fails the net worth test.

The notion that they weren't compensated is bullshit anyways. Their compensation was the money that AIG needed to avoid bankruptcy. The due process of law might not have been cut and dry but even the scummy fucker who sued knows that if the government had gone 'by the books' then AIG would've collapsed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

The notion that they weren't compensated is bullshit anyways. Their compensation was the money that AIG needed to avoid bankruptcy. The due process of law might not have been cut and dry but even the scummy fucker who sued knows that if the government had gone 'by the books' then AIG would've collapsed.

Don't get it wrong: AIG actually did get hosed over. They were treated worse than anyone else (even the people who later got sued and paid billions in settlements for their actions). Their loans were at 12-15% instead of 2-3%. No one else gave up equity stakes for their loans. It wasn't a terrible theory, legally, that they were mistreated by the government and due compensation for that mistreatment.

It's just that when it comes down to it, they were still better off than they would have been if they had been left alone.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

And presumably they're pretty close friends, somehow. I dunno how the Notorious can stand being around that piece of poo poo, but there you go.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe at some point the other eight will up and take him down like Jon Snow.

"For the Bench"
"For the Bench"
"For the Bench"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalman posted:

Don't get it wrong: AIG actually did get hosed over. They were treated worse than anyone else (even the people who later got sued and paid billions in settlements for their actions). Their loans were at 12-15% instead of 2-3%. No one else gave up equity stakes for their loans. It wasn't a terrible theory, legally, that they were mistreated by the government and due compensation for that mistreatment.

It's just that when it comes down to it, they were still better off than they would have been if they had been left alone.

Yeah this is true, AIG was used as a conduit for the treasury to bail out the CDS's on their friends' bad investments at 100 cents on the dollar. This was total bullshit and they should have forced Goldman Sachs, UBS et al to take a haircut or take similar terms to AIG before the government rescued them.

But AIG was still dumb enough to insure all those toxic loans and got treated better than they deserve anyway, so gently caress em

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't forget that, according to this ruling, bailouts might be illegal. Oh. Sorry, you're too big to fail? Oops.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
All that talk about cowboys earlier reminded me of reality television in the early oughts, the ones recreating life in the past 100-200 years. One of them had cowboys in it, but there was one cowboy who got kicked off the show after three episodes because he got in a fight with the cook. The cook, rightfully, was trying to spread out their low food supply and the angry cowboy wanna-be got mad he wasn't eating steak every day.

I'm gonna have to find that show again. The early oughts gave birth to bad reality television shows, but some of them did a good job breaking people's fantasies about american history.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

Don't forget that, according to this ruling, bailouts might be illegal. Oh. Sorry, you're too big to fail? Oops.

Not all bailouts, just ones like this which required the borrower to turn over equity and control and thus exceeded lender of last resort type parameters. BofA, Citi, etc. wouldn't be able to succeed on the same theory, because AIG was literally the only entity forced to give up equity in exchange for their loans.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Phone posting so I have no links. Jeb promised the usual wishy washy "immigration reform" at his presidential announcement then went on to speak Spanish again, and when protesters showed T-shirts saying "legal status is not enough" failed to call them communist Muslim traitor Mexican immigrants out to ruin Are Great Country. Open the blood gates, this is gonna get good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
reading the tea leaves on the ssm ruling based off yesterday's opinion

Also, Trump's announcement event today will be in large part about how rich he is, as he covers his 2016 plans

If he declines to run and spends the event talking about how much money he has instead it will be the greatest act of media trolling I have ever heard of

• Locked thread