Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't forget the increased coring cost which makes you substantially less tasty to other players in a multiplayer game. If you have some national ideas which increase your coring cost too, I've seen provinces with around 40ish development which cost nearly ONE THOUSAND ADMIN POINTS TO CORE.

That sounds like good advice on paper, but it actually works against you. It's less of the fact that they're not going to like taking your provinces, it's that they'll smash you before you can possibly infect any more of the map with your poison cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
Playing Ajuuran, I've had a lot of fun with the new development and theocracy mechanics. Honestly now with the new Theocracy mechanics, Monarchy is now the most boring government type. Your political options are praying you get a good heir and later praying that he outlives your king. They might need an equivalent to CK2s Sons of Abraham.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

PittTheElder posted:

Oh to have Europe look like it did in 1560.

Man that's the shittiest Hungary, I mean AI Hungary usually gets its rear end kicked but not that bad.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't forget the increased coring cost which makes you substantially less tasty to other players in a multiplayer game. If you have some national ideas which increase your coring cost too, I've seen provinces with around 40ish development which cost nearly ONE THOUSAND ADMIN POINTS TO CORE.

It's a big ol' gently caress you to anyone who wants to take you over. They'd have to take the province, just eat the OE for the length of the truce, and then get you to give up your cores in a second war to make coring them reasonable.

Edit, Proof:

Double edit:
I looked into it some more and you can't demand someone give up a core on something that the owner doesn't already have cored so double gently caress you whoever takes those provinces. Only thing I can think of would be forcing the country to "return core" to another country or releasing a country so they loose their cores on it and then you take it in a second war. But that would only work if the province is not their primary culture.
A little more development and it's literally impossible to core for anyone in the western tech group. :psyduck:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the best way to use the trade system to make my Portugal filthy rich?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Poil posted:

A little more development and it's literally impossible to core for anyone in the western tech group. :psyduck:

Coring price does max out at 999 admin.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Coring price does max out at 999 admin.

Does development cost max out at 999 too?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Vorpal Cat posted:

Man that's the shittiest Hungary, I mean AI Hungary usually gets its rear end kicked but not that bad.

The battle of Mohács killed the dual ruler of Bohemia and Hungary, which allowed the Habsburgs to yoink both crowns in the aftermath after agreeing to give the Transylvanian nobles independence and recognizing Ottoman conquests in return. (So, suing for peace after you get a double union and are auto-dragged into a war)

Of course, this never happens in EUIV because Bohemia and Hungary rival each other 9/10 times despite having a special royal marriage mission.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The rival system is really loving dumb sometimes

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007
The Karma system for Budhists seems pointless at the moment. There are so few ways to get positive Karma that it ends up just being a 10% discipline penalty to you for the game.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Hoo boy! That's way too many dumb babbys looking to be coddled.

Joking aside, I don't understand the negative response in the least.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the gently caress common sense is great what are they mad about? So far 90% of the complaint threads have been people bitching that this or that unpaid feature is RUINING THE GAME for people without the expansion.
Buy every DLC idiots.

Wahhh all this new content isn't free!
"I have already spent a small fortune purchasing every single Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis IV DLC there is. I just can't understand why all of those hadn't been already included in the initial release or even as free patches. Paradox is really getting on my nerves with these incredibly overpriced "expansions". They add a few stuff to the game, but it still "feels" the same. "

Unplayable!
"Short version: Some really great ideas in this expansion, but they have been horribly implemented. With some pretty significant reworks this could add so much to the game, but until that time, EUIV is almost unplayable."

I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND
"TL:DR
- I can no longer UNDERSTAND combat.
- Fort mechanics are limiting with no obvious upside as it pertains to war.
- War is more predictable and probably harder as a result."

Buying all the DLC is just common sense. Also this has been Pardox's DLC strategy for years.
"Thank you for introducing a paywall in this update. By dividing interconnected features between the patch and the DLC you have made the game less fun.
In addition many design decisions removed elements of the game that were fun, and replaced them with nothing in return. By cutting out elements of the game without a clear reason (not even balance) you adedd to my decision to stop supporting EUIV."

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 16, 2015

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Donald Duck posted:

The Karma system for Budhists seems pointless at the moment. There are so few ways to get positive Karma that it ends up just being a 10% discipline penalty to you for the game.

I stayed close to the middle for most of my Ceylon achievement, finishing around 1700. The key is returning cores, which still gives positive karma when you return cores to your vassals. So I vassalized OPM Vigi and fed them all of their cores back from Bahamanis. Did the same with Gujurat/Bengal/Delhi as they were absorbed or OPMed when I got close to them. It costs dip, but the cost is development based and seems to be way lower this patch.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress common sense is great what are they mad about? So far 90% of the complaint threads have been people bitching that this or that unpaid feature is RUINING THE GAME for people without the expansion.

Buy every DLC idiots.

The patch that came with CS did break the game for a lot of people. I know I wasn't the only one waiting till the hot fix to play.

Luckily, XCOM was on sale on the same day so I didn't mind.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tercio posted:

It's just people that are really upset that increasing development levels is a DLC feature. Something has to be, christ.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Anyone who uses the word mana when describing eu4 basically isn't worth regarding as an actual human with a brain

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
So I started up as Frankfurt with the idea of staying an OPM the whole time and I think I hosed up. First war I took Cleves and Hesse as vassals and fed them a few provinces over the next few wars. Then I went ahead and fed them Nassau/Mainz now I've got two very happy vassals who don't want to forge claims on anyone while I sit here without a CB. I think I'm going to restart and not vassalize anyone adjacent to me, only using them to start wars every 15 years for humiliation and only taking land from their allies. Waiting for the Imperialism CB for 200 years doesn't sound like much fun. Shame I have to restart, my initial 33 year old 6/3/3 ruled until he was 73 and I finally elected someone else and I'm about to hit 50 development before 1500.

I don't think there is any reason to build anything but base tax when playing like this. Production in Frankfurt is wheat and Manpower doesn't look like it increases force limit. I'd probably get more from buying only mercs and ignoring manpower. Thoughts?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are you sure manpower doesn't increase force limits? I was a few units short to have a bunch of identical stacks (every unit must be standardized!!) so I built a bunch of manpower around my empire and a couple months later I had the needed expanded force-limits.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Baronjutter posted:

Are you sure manpower doesn't increase force limits? I was a few units short to have a bunch of identical stacks (every unit must be standardized!!) so I built a bunch of manpower around my empire and a couple months later I had the needed expanded force-limits.
If you increased development, that increases force limits. Otherwise, surprise force limits changes are generally due to local autonomy changes

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Arzakon posted:

So I started up as Frankfurt with the idea of staying an OPM the whole time and I think I hosed up. First war I took Cleves and Hesse as vassals and fed them a few provinces over the next few wars. Then I went ahead and fed them Nassau/Mainz now I've got two very happy vassals who don't want to forge claims on anyone while I sit here without a CB. I think I'm going to restart and not vassalize anyone adjacent to me, only using them to start wars every 15 years for humiliation and only taking land from their allies. Waiting for the Imperialism CB for 200 years doesn't sound like much fun. Shame I have to restart, my initial 33 year old 6/3/3 ruled until he was 73 and I finally elected someone else and I'm about to hit 50 development before 1500.

I don't think there is any reason to build anything but base tax when playing like this. Production in Frankfurt is wheat and Manpower doesn't look like it increases force limit. I'd probably get more from buying only mercs and ignoring manpower. Thoughts?

Just wait for border friction cb to pop up on your vassals and use them. It's better than neighboring a non vassal imo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So there's one minor and one more significant change I'd suggest after having played quite a bit of Common Sense:

-Revert the claim discount to 20-25% coring cost rather than 10%. This encourages the player to claim stuff (AE is easier to manage so fabrication ahoy!) and rewards them with a better discount. Monarch points feel really tight right now and this would help with that while making claiming provinces more worthwhile.

-Rework the Power Projection values and add in some of the removed unique building bonuses. It's tough for many nations to maintain 25 PP for +1 leader and near impossible to maintain 50 for the +1 MPs. There's currently no real reason to go above 50 and it's very difficult to do so for any length of time. I'd suggest tweaking PP generation (might have to mess with rivals too) and doing something for bonuses like:

20 PP = +1 leader slot
40 PP = +1 Diplomat, +1 Relations slot
60 PP = +1 leader slot, maybe something else??
80 PP = +1 MP income

Right now PP is kind of pointless, this would reward you for actually putting effort into it and also bring back the quality of life bonuses from the unique buildings that got removed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I never had manpower issues before but holy poo poo manpower is actually important now. A major war will usually always set it down to 0 and I have to actually wait for it to come back up and give a poo poo about casualties and attrition.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is there an easy way to grind prestige up to 50.

I get gently caress-all from battles and winning wars only gives like 6 at a time.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Is there an easy way to grind prestige up to 50.

I get gently caress-all from battles and winning wars only gives like 6 at a time.

Conquer Rome, Mecca, and Jerusalem

Alternatively, when you win wars separate peace out the lesser participants with "give up claims", "revoke cores", and war reparations

Pellisworth posted:

So there's one minor and one more significant change I'd suggest after having played quite a bit of Common Sense:

-Revert the claim discount to 20-25% coring cost rather than 10%. This encourages the player to claim stuff (AE is easier to manage so fabrication ahoy!) and rewards them with a better discount. Monarch points feel really tight right now and this would help with that while making claiming provinces more worthwhile.

-Rework the Power Projection values and add in some of the removed unique building bonuses. It's tough for many nations to maintain 25 PP for +1 leader and near impossible to maintain 50 for the +1 MPs. There's currently no real reason to go above 50 and it's very difficult to do so for any length of time. I'd suggest tweaking PP generation (might have to mess with rivals too) and doing something for bonuses like:

20 PP = +1 leader slot
40 PP = +1 Diplomat, +1 Relations slot
60 PP = +1 leader slot, maybe something else??
80 PP = +1 MP income

Right now PP is kind of pointless, this would reward you for actually putting effort into it and also bring back the quality of life bonuses from the unique buildings that got removed.

25 is very easy, you get 15 from having 3 rivals and you can embargo/privateer/insult to get the last 10. 50 is a bit tougher, but if you humiliate your rivals regularly or take a lot of land from them it will stay high for a long time. Attaching the old embassy bonuses to PP sounds terrible though because diplomatic relation slots are not something that should disappear if you lose a war, and because having working diplomats disappear is incredibly irritating. It would be better to tie them to tech or something that doesn't require you to be already dominating to get the bonuses.

Also there were dev posts about how they didn't want to encourage players to blanket claim every single province they take. It's less tedious to have claims be useful for large provinces or just to gain a CB than having to claim every single province or face a major coring disadvantage.

Yashichi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 16, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I thought the unique buildings were a good way of tying it to both tech and the player needing to invest something, in this case money. And I feel money is even more valuable now that I can build whatever I want without worrying about mp costs. So just bring back the unique buildings in some fashion. A cash policy? I don't know.

On claims: I feel reverting to the -25% would be a good idea because right now I just do one for a cb, if I lack a cb, and ignore any other fabrication. They really feel useless. And if you're fighting major wars your manpower will need to recover so its something you can do to prepare for the next war. Also it just feels 'unrealistic' to fabric a claim on a random rear end province and just take everything, kind of subverting the idea of CBs. Especially with AE so low right now, it's like no one cares that you're a power hungry rear end in a top hat taking everything you can.

Also I'd like to see something be done with allies, like more benefits or something more substantial than, not getting war decced, as you never know if that's because of your allies. When you're small they are a club to beat the other ai with before you turn on them Arumba style. And if you are large I never, ever want allies. They just drag me into bullshit wars I don't care about while I don't need their help. (or in the wars I do they don't join.) I want to see some events or some other benefit from getting involved in the politics. I don't know what that isn't just hand out easy pus, but some bonus from being large and having allies would be nice. Maybe like if you ally someone good with trade you get bonus trade income, like a preferable trading agreement, or being diplomatically allied for x period of time gives you more diplomats or diplomatic rep or something? Ally Prussia for a Prussian drill instructor event that sort of thing.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 16, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What are HRE players using to gain Imperial Authority? I've only been getting a trickle, and there are so many heretics in the Empire that it tends to bleed away fast.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What are HRE players using to gain Imperial Authority? I've only been getting a trickle, and there are so many heretics in the Empire that it tends to bleed away fast.

Max out your Free Cities (7), they help stem the bleeding a bit. I basically had to tread water until the league war ended/fizzled in my favor so I could force religious unity and really kick things into gear. Also winning back provinces from non-HRE holders (typical culprits France and Poland).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GSD posted:

There is one to Form Malaya, which is fairly fun. Not a very long off goal, but it is a fun region to play in.

Ayutthaya also has an achievement now, for owning all of Indochina. Haven't gotten that yet, but it is the same region more or less, so another option.

Thanks for these, knocked out the Malaya one last night and it was really fun. It's neat how laser focused every nation in that region is thanks to being kind of separated from the major powers. You only have 1 or 2 threats around you so you focus on how you'll beat them in a war, and every alliance is a huge deal because you can't just go and ally with someone else since there are only like half a dozen nations around you. Definitely going to try the Ayutthaya achievement out, they looked like a fun country to play as.

Baronjutter posted:

I never had manpower issues before but holy poo poo manpower is actually important now. A major war will usually always set it down to 0 and I have to actually wait for it to come back up and give a poo poo about casualties and attrition.

Yeah manpower is super important in the early game. In my aforementioned Malacca game, being out of manpower was the #1 thing that slowed me down, to the point where I took several early peace deals that didn't give me as much land as I wanted because I was out of manpower and the enemy was about to get the upper hand on me. Pre-cannon sieges are brutal for attrition, as is having more than 1 fort in your country. The enemy AI just kept throwing bodies at me whenever I'd try to make any significant progress and even though I kept winning the battles the manpower toll was too harsh and I'd inevitably chew right through my 20k reserves. You've got to be really sure that you can win a war now before you just stroll into enemy lands and start sieging them (unless you can wipe out their stack obviously, but even then you better have enough reserve manpower to not die while sieging).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tercio posted:

The Paradox forums are filled with idiots and I'm guessing the people who fill out Steam reviews have a high overlap there.

Maybe they'll all change their avatars to the rebel flag again :rolleyes:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does the AI follow manpower rules as well? Is bleeding the enemy manpower down to the point that they can't build or reinforce armies a strategy that works? In most all my wars the enemy doom stacks always seem to just re-grow and it's always me that runs out first.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Baronjutter posted:

Does the AI follow manpower rules as well? Is bleeding the enemy manpower down to the point that they can't build or reinforce armies a strategy that works? In most all my wars the enemy doom stacks always seem to just re-grow and it's always me that runs out first.

The AI doesn't hesitate to take loans and buy mercs, but yes, their manpower does run out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Baronjutter posted:

Yes, they follow the same rules and you can see their numbers in the ledger. The AI isn't afraid to spam mercs even if it will drive them into bankruptcy if their nation is under existential threat.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baronjutter posted:

You can check their manpower (+ army size) in the ledger to see how it's doing. They're real bad at managing attrition -- will sometimes siege with 20-stacks and stuff -- so it's definitely something you can work to your advantage. Takes practice, though.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

While most players won't go thousands in debt to try and win a war that's already lost the AI is more than happy to. I'm honestly shocked I don't see the AI go bankrupt more often, the loan amounts I've seen are absurd.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, but usually not as much as you'd hope, as the AI tends to hire mercs very aggressively.

It definitely helps, but you have to be able to keep up the pressure and knock down their merc stacks without bleeding out all your manpower.

I do see a big advantage in watching my targets manpower and jumping on them when they're bleed white from wars with other people. Then I can take out their big merc stack and keep them down.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The AI does get some attrition bonuses to offset how dumb it can be sometimes but not a flat manpower bonus or forcelimit bonus.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Allyn posted:

You can check their manpower (+ army size) in the ledger to see how it's doing. They're real bad at managing attrition -- will sometimes siege with 20-stacks and stuff -- so it's definitely something you can work to your advantage. Takes practice, though.

I've had AI HRE throw a 220 stack on a max-fort level scorched earth (English) Paris. Needless to say it wasn't at 220 for long. (It also wasn't the best place for a fort, since great development meant good supply limits). I think they may have attritioned close to half a million people on Paris's walls over two wars.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In my Austria run, I've been Emperor all game long. I picked a couple events favoring Catholics and despite the Protestant League having a bunch of members no war ever broke out; Catholicism just became the official religion of the Empire by an event. Kind of weird that the religious schism never came to blows and the Lutherans who dominate the Low Countries and northern Germany don't care that they're totally shut out of the electors. :v:

Weirder yet is the new ability to make your vassals or unions convert religion whether they want to or not. I happened to get a union with Russia (!) and then I ordered them to go Catholic, which they have done really happily:

I am fairly certain that Catholic becomes the official religion after x amount of time if the Protestants never start a war.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really lazy with army management. I have set template built stacks and in war I will never split them up because then I'll have to deal with sorting them all out after the war. So I'll sit there sieging with my 28 stack one fort at a time even with no enemy resistance because the idea of splitting an army up gets me all OCD.

Now that manpower actually seems to matter maybe I should stop that? What are some good army strategies? I know nothing about actually min-maxing combat other than "don't attack into mountains" the rest is unpredictable wizardry to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really lazy with army management. I have set template built stacks and in war I will never split them up because then I'll have to deal with sorting them all out after the war. So I'll sit there sieging with my 28 stack one fort at a time even with no enemy resistance because the idea of splitting an army up gets me all OCD.

Now that manpower actually seems to matter maybe I should stop that? What are some good army strategies? I know nothing about actually min-maxing combat other than "don't attack into mountains" the rest is unpredictable wizardry to me.

:can: 10/2/8 or 8/4/8 are good 20-stack splits depending on how much cavalry you want and can afford. Before mil tech 16 or the year 1600 or so, artillery are mostly useful for sieging and a full back line of them is not a great investment.

I find it works best to detach siege (with a good Siege stat general if possible) and send the remainder of your stack to occupy and loot nearby provinces. You'll save on attrition from parking the whole stack on the fort and looting is a lot of gold, meanwhile the entire stack is nearby if enemy armies try to come break your siege.

• Locked thread