Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Eiba posted:

This straight up isn't true in any way.

It's true that there wasn't much exchange of people or ideas though.

??????????????

The entire point of my post was that things like philosophy and religion for the most part never really moved from east to west. If China and India had never existed and there was a big China-shaped ocean in its place there would have been very little different in the development of the western half of Eurasia beyond higher-order macroeconomic effects that few people noticed at the time to begin with. It just didn't interact with Europe or even the Middle East a whole lot. The narrative you see about China regaining its rightful place in the world order or being a counterbalance to western civilization or whatever doesn't make any sense because it never was that, it never even really interacted with western civilization in the first place.

Pakled posted:

What year is this data for? I'm guessing it's not 2015 because who the gently caress would be moving to Yemen.

Apparently lots of Somali refugees go to Yemen for work, possibly/probably as slave labor on a Gulf oil magnate's estate

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
i hope you're kidding because that is not remotely true

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Koramei posted:

i hope you're kidding because that is not remotely true

No it pretty much is? Unless you're going down the road of "Jesus got his ideas from the Buddha while traveling in Afghanistan" I don't see how you could argue otherwise?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 16, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
you edited your post so what i said makes less sense, but even if for some reason you want to leave out all the "boring higher-order macroeconomic stuff" (like, say, the mongol conquests or silk road or black death) that people absolutely would notice a change in, just look at the classic propaganda examples and tell me that European history wouldn't be radically altered with a change in any one of those.

e: I get the sense that your greater point in this discussion is just to poo poo on China, which I can support, but what you're specifically arguing is abjectly wrong

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I've said three times now that I mean philosophy and religion, and you keep citing mercantile trade and technology. And no I'm not trying to poo poo on China I'm just stating a fact. If you can't acknowledge it without blowing up maybe the bias here is with you? Amend my earlier statement to specifically say the cultural development of Europe/ME, and it becomes entirely true. The only example I can think of is Persian art being influenced by Chinese art, which is one, but otherwise nothing

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 16, 2015

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
How can we separate ideas like philosophy and religion from the context of their physical technology? To give a specific example, Western thought was hugely influenced by the printing press. The scientific method, Protestantism, the mass literacy that made liberal democracy a viable concern - those all exist because printing allowed the easy circulation of ideas. But the printing press required paper. Papyrus would be way too fragile to go through a printing press, and parchment would be too expensive for large-scale printing. Only paper could do it.

Or, as that wiki article put it:

Karl Marx posted:

Gunpowder, the compass, and the printing press were the three great inventions which ushered in bourgeois society. Gunpowder blew up the knightly class, the compass discovered the world market and founded the colonies, and the printing press was the instrument of Protestantism and the regeneration of science in general; the most powerful lever for creating the intellectual prerequisites.

Plato was wrong. Ideas don't live in a rarefied world, devoid of any link with the material society that surrounds them.

Ponsonby Britt fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 16, 2015

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

The thing about China and maybe India being equal civilizations or whatever with the West is that they were historically large and wealthy, but they didn't directly interact either with each other or with the European/Middle Eastern ecumene a whole lot, just because of geography. Manufactured goods from one area ended up in the other sometimes, and there are Persian-influenced Muslims in both India and China, but that's essentially it as far as interaction went. Nobody in Europe or the ME ever heard of Confucianism or Hinduism until the early modern era and colonialism essentially.

This isn't true. China and India historically interacted directly with each other on many occasions for thousands of years. Europe was somewhat isolated, yes, but still had many longstanding cultural contacts with Asia. The obvious example of cultural exchange between India and China is the spread of Buddhism. Other examples relevant to Europe include the Medieval Church's missions in China, many migrations across the Eurasian steppe like that of the Turks and Indo-Europeans, the Roma people's migration from India, Greco-Buddhist art, etc, etc.

A small ivory statue of the Hindu goddess Lakshmi was found buried at Pompeii, Most likely it was picked up by a Roman trader operating in one of the many trade ports of India but it's entirely possible it belonged to an actual Indian person living in the city. There are several late Roman writers who comment on Buddhism, and it is probable their missionaries circulated through parts of the Empire.

Roman map of Indian port cities

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Manichaeism Christianity was a syncretic faith that incorporated a lot of Buddhism into Christianity, though that is from Mani spending time with Indian Buddhists not Chinese Buddhists. Augustine of Hippo had been Manichaean and wound up being extremely influential to Christian theology after his conversion to the orthodox. There's a bit more west to east stuff though, two distinct times of Nestorian Christianity appearing in China before going extinct after a few centuries, one of the Mongol tribes in the 1200s on the Chinese border were Christian, Hercules became Vajrapani who became the Nio.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Konstantin posted:

Has to be within the last year, look at Crimea.

Wow, you're right. That's the politically loaded part.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

Wow, you're right. That's the politically loaded part.

Nah that just represents the rapid migration of retired Russian soldiers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Karl Marx posted:

Gunpowder, the compass, and the printing press were the three great inventions which ushered in bourgeois society. Gunpowder blew up the knightly class, the compass discovered the world market and founded the colonies, and the printing press was the instrument of Protestantism and the regeneration of science in general; the most powerful lever for creating the intellectual prerequisites.
Why do you hate the fourth and greatest great invention of papermaking, Karl Marx?

By the 6th century in China, sheets of paper were beginning to be used for toilet paper as well. During the Tang Dynasty (AD 618–907) paper was folded and sewn into square bags to preserve the flavor of tea. The Song Dynasty (AD 960–1279) that followed was the first government to issue paper currency.

Sure, knibbly class, world markets, colonies, science, and church with different hats, but you can't have a bourgeois society without toilet paper, teabags, and paper money/stock certificates.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought the early [European] printing press was quite different from its Chinese counterpart and not directly derived from it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Iirc both the Chinese and Europeans had both wood block printing and later moveable type printing. China never made much use of the movable type though, because it didn't mesh well with their atrocious word graffitialphabet, whereas Europe expanded on it into framed metal type.

China and Korea were the last countries to adopt the European movable type system.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Not a map, but still interesting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phlegmish posted:

I thought the early [European] printing press was quite different from its Chinese counterpart and not directly derived from it?

Yes, Gutenberg invented his press independently. Same idea but no connection.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Quick and dirty:

(I gave up on the various islands after about half a minute or I would have gone insane)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:finland:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Don't gently caress with the Mongols.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

System Metternich posted:

Quick and dirty:

(I gave up on the various islands after about half a minute or I would have gone insane)

Haha, the Axis nations -- green to this day!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

76 percent of Afghans are willing to fight for their country.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pakled posted:

What year is this data for? I'm guessing it's not 2015 because who the gently caress would be moving to Yemen.

A wiki map, updated in 2014. It also doesn't really cite sources.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

DrSunshine posted:

Haha, the Axis nations -- green to this day!

Well, we got whupped something fierce back then, no wonder people are hesitant to try that same poo poo again :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Quick and dirty:

That's certainly a politically loaded color scheme.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

How can we separate ideas like philosophy and religion from the context of their physical technology? To give a specific example, Western thought was hugely influenced by the printing press. The scientific method, Protestantism, the mass literacy that made liberal democracy a viable concern - those all exist because printing allowed the easy circulation of ideas. But the printing press required paper. Papyrus would be way too fragile to go through a printing press, and parchment would be too expensive for large-scale printing. Only paper could do it.

Plato was wrong. Ideas don't live in a rarefied world, devoid of any link with the material society that surrounds them.

The "material society" surrounding any of the three things you pointed to was far more complex than a question of whether printing was available or not.

Protestantism and its intellectual content would have existed without the printing press, even if you exclude Wycliffe and Hus. It may not have been as successful, since printing was one among several reasons it spread in the way it did, but it would have existed.

The same is roughly true of the so-called "Scientific Revolution," due to the limited number of people relative to the general population who were really involved in its formation and the way in which its knowledge was distributed, which took advantage of print but could have used letters and manuscripts exclusively.

Mass literacy was shaped by the forms of media made available by printing but it was not caused by the wide availability of material like printed books and newspapers. It took several centuries after print was widely available for true mass literacy to exist.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Huh. Don't gently caress with Morocco I guess.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Time to get into central London using public transport:

(Sorry about the resolution, TfL's fault)

TinTower fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 16, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Huh. Don't gently caress with Morocco I guess.

Morocco's also one of the oldest allies of the US, so there are two reasons not to mess with it.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 16, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TinTower posted:

Time to get into central London using public transport:

(Sorry about the resolution, TfL's fault)

What's the difference between colors, an hour or half hour or what?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Badger of Basra posted:

What's the difference between colors, an hour or half hour or what?

15 minute granularity.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

The entire point of my post was that things like philosophy and religion for the most part never really moved from east to west. If China and India had never existed and there was a big China-shaped ocean in its place there would have been very little different in the development of the western half of Eurasia beyond higher-order macroeconomic effects that few people noticed at the time to begin with. It just didn't interact with Europe or even the Middle East a whole lot. The narrative you see about China regaining its rightful place in the world order or being a counterbalance to western civilization or whatever doesn't make any sense because it never was that, it never even really interacted with western civilization in the first place.
You're going to have to give a timeframe for something so sweeping like that.

And also you're wrong.

Let's say we're talking pre 1500s so you don't have global oceanic trade yet: Materially, inventions diffused. Economically, the entire world was still oriented towards China. Roman aristocrats had a taste for silk, which wasn't grown next door. People traveled on those trade routes and, yes, passed more than goods along those routes. Ever heard of Nestorian Christians? Some of the nomads raiding Chinese cities worshiped a man the Romans nailed to a cross on the other end of the continent. Militarily and politically... the Mongols developed in the Chinese sphere. Their tactics (siege tactics in particular) were based on fighting in China and their imperial structure was created with the knowledge of how China ran. These people went on to rule the Middle East and Russia for a non-trivial amount of time.

Even earlier I suppose you've never heard of the Greco-Bactrians, or the Indo-Greek Kingdoms. There were Hellenistic influences in India around the time Buddhism arose in India, which in turn influenced all of east Asia.

Central Asia is not a wasteland. It has been full of cities and kingdoms rich on trade for thousands of years. Do you think the Chinese didn't know who these people were, or these people didn't know who the Chinese were? Or do you think it was the Middle East that was oddly ignorant of their neighbors?

Do you know why Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world? Hint: they didn't independently develop Islam.

I don't even know what your basic point is, but you're so fantastically misinformed about that I have to object regardless of what you're trying to say.

For the map thread have a linked gigantic map of Islamic populations. Note the absolute cultural wall between east and west.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

I wonder how much that correlates with compulsory military service

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
That Japan:11% would make imperial japan cry and then kill themselves.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Baloogan posted:

It probably depends greatly upon how the question is posed though. Without further context and with the focus of the debate on military and use of force in Japan, people will assume that the nuance here is always going to be with military expeditions outside of the country's borders.

If you asked specifically if people would be willing to fight an invasion you might, might, get a different result.

Though the idea of 'legitimate' use of force in Japan is really nebulous; the Japanese have been told how loving great they are for 'giving up' violence for a couple generations and it's really really stuck with a fair portion of the populace, who conveniently forget how the economic forces Japan creates simply by existing as a major industrial power contributes to conflicts throughout the world.

The term for it is heiwa-boke and there's actually a fair amount of discussion in academic circles about it.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Eiba posted:

For the map thread have a linked gigantic map of Islamic populations. Note the absolute cultural wall between east and west.

Why is Riyadh not in a coloured border?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
If you look at the description in the corner, it says Wahhabism/Salafism is a different system in the same way as Shia Islam and Ibadism.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Same for Nazi Germany/Austria, franquist Spain, fascist Italy... I'm sensing a pattern here.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

cebrail posted:

Same for Nazi Germany/Austria, franquist Spain, fascist Italy... I'm sensing a pattern here.

Turns out fascism was the road to peace.

Also said road very long and paved with bodies.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A map of France in bars per 1000 inhabitants. I'm not sure what the cutoff is but the lowest figures I've found from randomly clicking is about .3/1000

:cryingbretonflagwithacrepeorsomething:

And of course, Corisca. The map doesn't include any of the DOM-TOMs before anyone asks.

The original map

http://www.letelegramme.fr/bretagne/debits-de-boisson-la-bretagne-jamais-gagnante-toujours-placee-17-06-2015-10670528.php

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahah the Alps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Count Roland posted:

Not exactly related, but I've never before noticed that chunk of Angola on the other side of DR Congo. What's the story behind that?

Angola was a Portuguese colony with a contiguous coastline. However, when King Leopold took over the Congo, he needed access to the sea. So, a treaty was signed and the Congo got herself an oceanic port, and Cabinda was formed. The Togolese national soccer team bus got shot there a few years ago, and several players and coaches were killed.