Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Nilfgaard winning is probably canonical to the books, seeing as how Emhyr is supposed to live a full life free of assassinations. The nobles of the Empire are absolutely not fond of his military adventurism and the generations of war with the North have beaten the Empire's economy up pretty badly. There's also prophecies from the books stating that Ciri's son will rule half the world and that the son of her son will rule all of it. So if you wanted to stick to as close to official as possible, you can pretty easily figure out how to make it happen.

Or you can say gently caress prophecy and gently caress canon, you might not care for rewarding Nilfgaard's brutal slaughter of a whole shitload of people leading up to this point, including Ciri's homeland of Cintra, leading to the death of Ciri's grandmother Queen Calanthe (there's a book about it in the game world). Let Djikstra's reign of stern but rational realpolitik commence! Guy can obviously beat Emhyr with less than half the resources because Nilfgaard overextended itself too far too quickly like idiots.

Actually it was the nobles constantly pressuring Emhyr to take the North as stated in the novel. And he had to be wary of them since he still their support to maintain the throne and the fact that some of them were responsible for his father's assassination and why he had to go into hiding for most of his young life. It is the trade organizations that are not fond of the destabilizing war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Scandalous posted:

I can only speak from my own experience on Death March with a Sign build, but despite being decked out in full Griffin gear with the accompanying abilities and a *shitload* of sign intensity, he took barely any damage from Igni (we're talking low double-digits) and Quen would hold out against only one blow. My mistake was going full into Signs and not spending a bit in Combat or Alchemy to complement. It was doable, yes, since his moveset doesn't differ, but my patience wore thin. Eventually I just drank an Archgriffin Decoction.

The fight takes long if you don't bother burning away his frost armor buff (reapplied after every teleport) with fire attacks. Also a little know fact is that strong attacks have much better armor penatration than fast attacks. AND enemies takes more damage from behind and more vulnerable to critical hits when flanked.

So the fight is all about learning to easily piroutte to behind him and burn away the frost armor when convinient.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ugato posted:

Oh, and closing with a familiar complaint but it's just so baffling to me. I completed the master weapon smith quest at 15. It's a level 24 quest which at one point has you fighting 6 level 26's. Pain in my rear end. So, the :psyduck: part is this: I had just leveled up to where I could craft a new rare sword that I had had the plans for since like level 5. The sword reward I got from this quest 9 levels up was a strict downgrade. Come on, game. :smith: I turned around and sold it immediately. I just imagine Geralt looking at it: "Thanks, but, uh... Could I just have some money instead?"

If you're about to upgrade weapons, the sword he gives you is definitely worth breaking down into components, I can't remember which one it is, but there's something you get from it that I think I had trouble finding otherwise.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Aaaaaand witch hunters are immune to max level Axxi. Can't have their minds dominated because CDPR broke it in the last patch, or made them so zealous in their faith they are beyond it.

Dude, just stop playing if you hate the game that much.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Also, just respec into alchemy, the one true chosen path of the gods. Carry 9 Superior Grapeshots, each of which split into 6 more Superior Grapeshots on impact. Blanket entire areas in Dancing Star fire, it feels like committing a war crime. Live the dream :getin:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Like his emotions being non existent, that people would hate each other for something so innocuous is alien to him.

Maybe I misread this but very plainly Geralt has emotions. I have no idea who the gently caress Yennefer is or why I'm supposed to give any poo poo about her whatsoever but Geralt is like puppy doggin her constantly.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Witchers not feeling emotions is clearly just a bald-faced myth and Geralt proves it wrong a lot; Lambert alone contradicts it by every word that comes out of his mouth.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, witchers being emotionless is exactly the kind of stuff that's "common knowledge" about witchers but has no (or limited) basis in reality.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Witchers not feeling emotions is clearly just a bald-faced myth and Geralt proves it wrong a lot; Lambert alone contradicts it by every word that comes out of his mouth.

That myth was even directly stated to be wrong in the first drat book early on. Same for the Witcher Code

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

mcbexx posted:

He mentioned earlier that this is one of his top 10 games of all time. I was surprised when I read it, but we all interact with the things we love in different ways, I suppose.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If he actually disliked the game he probably wouldn't even bother playing it, much less talk about it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Book spoiler about Emhyr: he believes the war of conquest is necessary because united world stands a better chance against White Frost. Or at least he claims so.

Choice between Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard in medieval times was more about choice between whomever is at the head of the states. Emhyr is pretty old, even if he's not assasinated he'll die soon. Remember that all of his conquests happened during his lifetime, which means most of Nilfgaardian subjects are under their rule for at most one generation, far too short time to forge one identity. It's easy to see W4 happen somewhere between Nazair, Cintra, Mahakam and Dol Blathanna with strong theme of rebellions against invaders/central government/bad laws.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just hit level 26 an thus upgraded to Superior Ursine swords and Superior Feline armor - I have 3 rune slots on each weapon and 7 rune slots between the different armor parts...what should I slot? I remember reading that the Pellar got diagrams for every runestone added in a patch and I assume I can generate rune construction parts by breaking down the lesser runes I have plenty of, but what Greater Runestones should I slot in all of my slots? I have like 50k gold so I imainge I could do pretty much anything w/r/t runes.
For the swords I am leaning a Perun (+5% Adrenaline gain), a Chernobog (+5% Attack Power), and a Veles (+5% Sign Intensity); or simply loading up on three of each of those (most likely three Veles because sign intensity is my weakest aspect), but I like the idea of enhancing my adrenaline gain and attack power a bit more (synergizing with my armor and sword perks) and adding a little sign intensity for variety's sake.
For the armor I am not seeing many options and am thinking Greater Glyphs of Quen in all 7 slots since I use Quen so much out of lazyness, but I am open to other suggestions.

In other news I have 3 skill points to assign and do not know what to go with - I have the first two fast attack skills and three points in Battle Trance (-20% adrenaline loss on hits taken per point), and enough alchemy skills to have tier 4 alchemy skills available, but they all seem underwhelming now that I am here. I guess since I have 9 bombs a slot I might as well take Cluster Bombs? Also the only "General" skill I have is "Cat School Techniques" - are there any that stand out as really good/useful that I should be using?

edit: ugh my spelling and grammar was off so I fixed it

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 16, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I love how Polish the environments of the game are. People from the west playing this game probalby just see this as some sort of medieval fantasy setting but this game just looks like rural Poland but instead of contemporary buildings there's traditional Polish folk architecture, decoration and medieval structures based on some of the still existing Polish counterparts. The lighting, landscapes, sights, terrain, flora are all spot on with how some of the parts of the country look.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Come on, this is a really lame bug and it's irritating - if there's an actual in-game reason not to have axii work on them, just have some "invulnerable" text going or something, not have the effect take place, the enemies show all the signs of being charmed and yet they're not. On the other targets that axii doesn't work on there's simply no reaction, so all signs point to a bug.

Palpek posted:

I love how Polish the environments of the game are. People from the west playing this game probalby just see this as some sort of medieval fantasy setting but this game just looks like rural Poland but instead of contemporary buildings there's traditional Polish folk architecture, decoration and medieval structures based on some of the still existing Polish counterparts. The lighting, landscapes, sights, terrain, flora are all spot on with how some of the parts of the country look.

Hell yeah, red roof tiles in the cities.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 16, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Also there's the cross dressing elf tailor in Novigrad.

He's straight, he just likes to dress up.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Anyone else barely hitting 20fps on low settings? I don't need advice, I just want to know that I'm not alone in my misery.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

bloodclot posted:

Anyone else barely hitting 20fps on low settings? I don't need advice, I just want to know that I'm not alone in my misery.

At 1080p? Yes.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Riso posted:

At 1080p? Yes.
720p. :smith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Madcosby posted:

Just beat it. 44 hours
I wonder how this is possible. Did you skip all the dialogues or didn't bother with most of the side quests/witcher contracts/witcher set missions?

Even howlongtobeat.com lists the main story alone as 39 hours on average.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aurain posted:

He's straight, he just likes to dress up.

He's less like a plain old crossdresser and more like a doppler minus the doppling.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Cripes, I must be a slowpoke. I clocked in at a full 100 hours with shitloads of stuff left undone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sitting at 120 hours and I'm still on my first playthrough with quite a ways to go, here. I try not to fast travel unless the journey is gonna be crazy monotonous, just because I like being immersed in the game world and all. I also try to walk whenever I'm in town and I'm not just blowing past it on my horse or whatever. I'm saving the fast traveling and such for my second playthrough when I care less about immersion and more about exploding monsters with grenade carpet bombing.

edit: My endurance wore a bit thin in Skellige, however, just because boating can be so slow and boring. This game needs Wind Waker minigames!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 16, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Cripes, I must be a slowpoke. I clocked in at a full 100 hours with shitloads of stuff left undone.
Nah, that's normal:

Even the rushed run of the main story+side content sits at 51 hours and he needed 7 hours fewer. That's like super rushed which is why it made me wonder what his gameplay style was like.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Szurumbur posted:

Come on, this is a really lame bug and it's irritating

Sure. But he seems to be complaining a LOT.
If a game keeps pushing my buttons - and according to his posts, it does for him - I just put it down.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Khanstant posted:

Maybe I misread this but very plainly Geralt has emotions. I have no idea who the gently caress Yennefer is or why I'm supposed to give any poo poo about her whatsoever but Geralt is like puppy doggin her constantly.

If I recall correctly, it is partially the case. It's not that they're without emotions, it's that they're somewhat muted. The goal is to wipe out emotions, it just doesn't quite get there.

Geralt is supposed to be a special case, as they were trying some new mutations on him, which is why he has white hair. He ended up being more emotional than the other witchers, though still far from normal. It doesn't really come across in the games as much, but as a character he's really emotionally immature.

It's part of why he doesn't give half a poo poo about killing people who annoy him, not just evil ones. He does not do the slightest thing to avoid confrontation. In the very beginning of the first book he gets bothered by three assholes who want him to leave a tavern because of his Rivian accent, and he antagonises them further and then slaughters them without batting an eye.

He has this vague idea that life is good and he should protect human lives, but he doesn't quite know how to go about it a lot of the time. That's why he's constantly torn between what the lesser evil is. And he is all about protecting the innocent in the abstract, but when someone threatens him or draws their weapon, he doesn't back down or disarm them even though he's obviously capable, he kills them and doesn't see the conflict in that.

Part of why the books are so compelling in my opinion is that they are a critique of traditional fantasy writing, with heroes acting a similar way and being similarly emotionally immature but the authors not seeing the contradictions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's why the first dialogue option during confrontations in TW3 is almost always "Screw this. [Fight This Loser]" with the second being "Wait we can talk this over." And also why he's so prone to freeing evil spirits and such just because of their ability to tell sob stories.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

mcbexx posted:

If a game keeps pushing my buttons - and according to his posts, it does for him - I just put it down.

That's the thing with good games that have little, but irritating bugs - for the most part they don't matter, but they're irritating when they do. Like, Geralt controls like a tank without tank controls, but if I'm only running around, getting into fights and collecting/doing quests who cares. Changing oils and potions is cumbersome, so I just do it as little as possible. Diving is tiresome, so I just do it as little as possible.

It's just when I'm running around, having fun, killing monsters my ultra badass Geralt gets stuck in a road sign or a fence and I have to jump my way out and just sigh with a quite resignation and have to acknowledge the limitations of man- and witcherkind. Were the loading times shorter, having to continue wouldn't be such a bummer, but with every death comes a minute of staring a a loading screen, and that's doubly irritating when the death came from a cheap shot, a bugged enemy and - heavens forbid - a jump from a three meter high ledge.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 16, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

mcbexx posted:

You can enjoy a thing and still have problems with it and post about it. It's ok.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Szurumbur posted:

That's the thing with good games that have little, but irritating bugs - for the most part they don't matter, but they're irritating when they do. Like, Geralt controls like a tank without tank controls, but if I'm only running around, getting into fights and collecting/doing quests who cares. Changing oils and potions is cumbersome, so I just do it as little as possible. Diving is tiresome, so I just do it as little as possible.

It's just when I'm running around, having fun, killing monsters my ultra badass Geralt gets stuck in a road sign or a fence and I have to jump my way out and just sigh with a quite resignation and have to acknowledge the limitations of man- and witcherkind. Were the loading times shorter, having to continue wouldn't be such a bummer, but with every death comes a minute of staring a a loading screen, and that's doubly irritating when the death came from a cheap shot, a bugged enemy and - heavens forbid - a jump from a three meter high ledge.

This game has almost the same problem as GTA 4 and 5 when it comes to player movement. It is definitely more realistic and smooth for Geralt to turn widely like a normal human-shaped being would, but god drat is he hard to control because of that. Just like Niko and the GTA 5 protagonists, he steers a bit like a boat when he's not in combat mode and the wide, floaty gait he turns with makes it really hard to do even precise walking. More often than not when I'm trying to loot something I end up standing on top of it, then because Geralt can't just back up I have to pull a full rotation like I'm driving him or something and go for another pass. It's annoying. Not game breaking, but definitely annoying.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

CJacobs posted:

This game has almost the same problem as GTA 4 and 5 when it comes to player movement. It is definitely more realistic and smooth for Geralt to turn widely like a normal human-shaped being would, but god drat is he hard to control because of that. Just like Niko and the GTA 5 protagonists, he steers a bit like a boat when he's not in combat mode and the wide, floaty gait he turns with makes it really hard to do even precise walking. More often than not when I'm trying to loot something I end up standing on top of it, then because Geralt can't just back up I have to pull a full rotation like I'm driving him or something and go for another pass. It's annoying. Not game breaking, but definitely annoying.
This is what happens when your only form of locomotion outside of combat is to step forward.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

It's part of why he doesn't give half a poo poo about killing people who annoy him, not just evil ones. He does not do the slightest thing to avoid confrontation. In the very beginning of the first book he gets bothered by three assholes who want him to leave a tavern because of his Rivian accent, and he antagonises them further and then slaughters them without batting an eye.
gently caress, that means I'm roleplaying him all wrong by always saying hey guys cmon we can talk about this

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 16, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

And he is all about protecting the innocent in the abstract, but when someone threatens him or draws their weapon, he doesn't back down or disarm them even though he's obviously capable, he kills them and doesn't see the conflict in that.

Part of why the books are so compelling in my opinion is that they are a critique of traditional fantasy writing, with heroes acting a similar way and being similarly emotionally immature but the authors not seeing the contradictions.

I agree with most of this, but I like the idea that in the Witcher swords are dangerous and are treated as dangerous. Drawing your sword should be a Big Deal. Pop culture historical fiction and fantasy has diluted the idea of a sword to a very Errol Flynn sort of prop, more of a toy than a weapon. I like that swords are dangerous and swordfights are fast and lethal in this setting. Drawing your sword is declaring that It's Fightin' Time.

(Kind of like how pop action movies/shows have diluted the idea of a gun so that everyone points guns at each other and has very serious and rational conversations while everybody is pointing guns. Whereas in real life everyone knows pointing a gun at strangers gets you shot immediately and pointing a gun at friends causes lots of angry shouting and people diving out of the way.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 16, 2015

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I agree, I do like that, I was just referring to the fact that the series criticises the hypocrisy of Geralt. If you gently caress with him, he will straight up murder you and feel zero remorse, then five minutes later be moping about how difficult it is to know what good and evil is and how to save lives. Ten minutes later he will be talking about how murder is wrong. Fifteen minutes later he will be talking about how he doesn't give a poo poo about all the death from a war as long as there is work for Witchers.

The books recognise that, and in addition to calling it out as hypocrisy do a lot to talk about the internal conflict from those contradictions. Geralt is not worshipped as a "badass" by the books like most crappy fantasy would, he is treated as really emotionally childish.

There's a great scene in one of the later books, when he tells his party to leave, he's going alone on this heroic mission, and they just laugh in his face at the stupidity of that and tell him they're not going to let him do something that idiotic alone.

Did anyone notice how the letter from Yeneffer at the beginning of the game starts with "Dear friend"? That's also a reference to Geralt's emotional immaturity. At one point he writes a letter to Yen, and after agonising for ages on how to start with, since he doesn't want to seem mushy to her, goes with "Dear friend". The letter he gets back also starts with "Dear friend" and is the most acidic thing ever, talking very politely about how honoured she is to be considered a friend.

Scandalous posted:

This is what happens when your only form of locomotion outside of combat is to step forward.

gently caress, that means I'm roleplaying him all wrong by always saying hey guys cmon we can talk about this

Maybe your Gerlat has grown up a bit. :v:

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 16, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, there's sort of a thread running through The Witcher 1 about how the newly amnesiac Geralt needs to avoid trying to build an identity based on the stories he hears about himself, and instead forge a new identity. I figure that's CD Projekt's way of reconciling any accidental maturity your Geralt may gain over the course of the games :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh that last tier red skill that lets you cast signs with adrenaline is a trap. I lost my ability to break defenses with strong attack putting points into that instead and now fights with humans in the late game are a lot harder. It's not worth it to be able to cast rad signs ~3 times a fight.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Palpek posted:

I quite like the spacing of it all. You get games that brag about having a HUGE WORLD but it really equates to massive chunks of map with gently caress all in it. Witcher has those places ( Barring the Velen swamps, which are kind of supposed to be a bit of a desolate shithole ) but for the most part there's enough small villages / events / landmarks between the 'big' areas to keep the map feeling busy.

Arglebargle III posted:

I agree with most of this, but I like the idea that in the Witcher swords are dangerous and are treated as dangerous. Drawing your sword should be a Big Deal. Pop culture historical fiction and fantasy has diluted the idea of a sword to a very Errol Flynn sort of prop, more of a toy than a weapon. I like that swords are dangerous and swordfights are fast and lethal in this setting. Drawing your sword is declaring that It's Fightin' Time.
It's also one of the few games I can recall which lets you just pull out a weapon and just kill the poo poo out of someone if they start a bare fist fight. Even in situations where you don't have your swords, and haven't been fully disarmed due to the story, you can still use your signs and items.

It's refreshing compared to the lovely games where your all-powerful character forgets they can turn someone inside out with their brain, or has a pocket full of high explosives 'just because' some dumbass wants a punchup.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

alex314 posted:

Book spoiler about Emhyr: he believes the war of conquest is necessary because united world stands a better chance against White Frost. Or at least he claims so.

Choice between Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard in medieval times was more about choice between whomever is at the head of the states. Emhyr is pretty old, even if he's not assasinated he'll die soon. Remember that all of his conquests happened during his lifetime, which means most of Nilfgaardian subjects are under their rule for at most one generation, far too short time to forge one identity. It's easy to see W4 happen somewhere between Nazair, Cintra, Mahakam and Dol Blathanna with strong theme of rebellions against invaders/central government/bad laws.

Didn't he just want Ciri because her child will rule half the world and her grandchild the entire world? I don't even remember him mentioning the White Frost. Oh well, CDPR changed how that works anyway.

Yeah Nilfgaard isn't really a united realm where everyone sees themselves as Nilfgaardian, just ask Cahir!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The books are also about Geralt maturing. He isn't an already estabilished personality, his experiences change him and his attitude towards things like death, war, his own job, his way of life and the lives of his friends/family shifts dramatically. In the end this change weighs heavily on his most important and final decisions. This is why the Witcher books are really amazing books in general and not just in the fantasy genre.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
So what's the conclusion about doing the Whispering Hillock quest out of sequence? Is it truly possible to release the tree spirit at this point, saving the children, and yet not let the Baron's wife die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

limited posted:

It's also one of the few games I can recall which lets you just pull out a weapon and just kill the poo poo out of someone if they start a bare fist fight. Even in situations where you don't have your swords, and haven't been fully disarmed due to the story, you can still use your signs and items.

It's refreshing compared to the lovely games where your all-powerful character forgets they can turn someone inside out with their brain, or has a pocket full of high explosives 'just because' some dumbass wants a punchup.

Are you talking about the Witcher 3? Because that's not at all true in this game, there are situations in which "you can't do this now", guards might as well be immortal, so you can't just go on a rampage and kill whoever pisses you off, there are scenes (or at least one, in Novigrad at the Market Square) in which Geralt simply stares at the horrors before him doing nothing, friendly NPCs are not to be attacked (no matter how stupid attacking them would be).

I think the only game I've played in which I could conceivably kill most of the cast in normal gameplay mechanics was Fallout: New Vegas.