Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
The Clangers are back and they've not hosed it up. It's still as pleasant, polite and lovely as ever.

Don't like them blinking though, that's just not right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Seriously? Gonna have to keep an eye out for that, just for the sake of nostalgia if nothing else.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

BBC4 right now, Victoria Coren-Mitchel being exceedingly sarcastic about the Bohemians, it's incredible. Never before have I seen a presenter gleefully rip apart her subject matter within the first third of the programme before.

There's a point in the programme where she reads aloud "the worst gay poetry in the world" that has to be seen to be believed.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Devol_Tettran posted:

The Clangers are back and they've not hosed it up. It's still as pleasant, polite and lovely as ever.

Don't like them blinking though, that's just not right.

It was pretty cute. They managed to entertain my kid and didn't stray too far from the original format. At least they didn't do it in CGI like Postman Pat.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Irisi posted:

BBC4 right now, Victoria Coren-Mitchel being exceedingly sarcastic about the Bohemians, it's incredible. Never before have I seen a presenter gleefully rip apart her subject matter within the first third of the programme before.

There's a point in the programme where she reads aloud "the worst gay poetry in the world" that has to be seen to be believed.

Enjoyed this but found the personal angle a bit jarring at times. Poetry bit was needlessly smug imo: "Oh this guy subverted expectations of class & sexuality about 40 years before anyone else but listen to this lovely poetry he wrote lolz."

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33158464

Guess TFI is off the cards then :/

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Worst kept secret all year.

I just watched that Humans thing on 4. I liked it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how they'll rework it.

Or maybe they'll try to just carry on as normal and hope the cash cow keeps selling.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

goatface posted:

I wonder how they'll rework it.

Or maybe they'll try to just carry on as normal and hope the cash cow keeps selling.

Either way, it will be a failure, I reckon. That's not to say it will be any better or worse than it was up to this point, but I can see a lot of Top Gear fans just being pissed off because the three idiots are not involved anymore and just nitpicking to convince themselves that it's poo poo, because you shouldn't be sacked from your job for assaulting your boss, for some reason...

edit: On the other hand, it could be like the Keys/Gray thing, where there were people saying "it'll never be the same without them," but as soon as Sky used the opportunity to refresh their coverage and did something interesting with it, everyone moved on pretty quickly. I doubt it, though.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 16, 2015

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The problem they have is that Clarkson-Hammond-May had a chemistry together that is very hard to replicate when you throw three people together. The other problem is Evans is an utter Ferrari fanboi.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hammond was a Porsche fanboy and May was a DaciaRolls Royce fanboy too, and it didn't seem to affect things, though Evans could be far worse than those two for all I know since I wouldn't be too familiar with him. A big bit of it will depend on who his co-hosts are, and whether they pick people with contrasting personalities who can compliment each other in an entertaining manner.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mickolution posted:

Either way, it will be a failure, I reckon. That's not to say it will be any better or worse than it was up to this point, but I can see a lot of Top Gear fans just being pissed off because the three idiots are not involved anymore and just nitpicking to convince themselves that it's poo poo, because you shouldn't be sacked from your job for assaulting your boss, for some reason...

A lot of people on my Facebook feed seem thrilled about it. He's a LEGEEEEEEEEND apparently.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Guy Martin for Top Gear, he's just so lovely and enthusiastic. Not sure if he could handle having the piss taken out of him though.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Pablo Bluth posted:

The problem they have is that Clarkson-Hammond-May had a chemistry together that is very hard to replicate when you throw three people together. The other problem is Evans is an utter Ferrari fanboi.

he's also an utter twat who thinks getting his penis out is funny

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fatty posted:

Guy Martin for Top Gear, he's just so lovely and enthusiastic. Not sure if he could handle having the piss taken out of him though.

I'd love to see him on Top Gear now that you mention him. He really is the most hypnotically and infectiously upbeat person to watch.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 17, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I like Evans but the problem is he has too much other stuff going on for him to be involved in the big event stuff top gear was good at doing. He has a daily morning radio show and does the one show on Friday, so he is going to be limited to filming small segments in the UK.
I guess he could do the studio and track stuff and let his co presenters do the travelling and crazy stuff but that sort of defeats the purpose.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
It's going to be a completely different show.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It'll revert a bit to how it used to be, a show about cars. The main market for it is Americans, and they want off-the-cuff hijinks with Clarkson Hammond and May, not some speccy ginger unknown.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Mr Beens posted:

I like Evans but the problem is he has too much other stuff going on for him to be involved in the big event stuff top gear was good at doing. He has a daily morning radio show and does the one show on Friday, so he is going to be limited to filming small segments in the UK.
I guess he could do the studio and track stuff and let his co presenters do the travelling and crazy stuff but that sort of defeats the purpose.

Perhaps, but for £3million maybe he'll can the other stuff to live the dream.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HJB posted:

It'll revert a bit to how it used to be, a show about cars. The main market for it is Americans, and they want off-the-cuff hijinks with Clarkson Hammond and May, not some speccy ginger unknown.

Christ, I hope not. I like the early episodes of the reboot, but I much prefer the crazier tone the show took on over time because I could not give two flying fucks about cars in general and just liked the show because the cars were almost incidental in a way to the entire experience. It was more, to me, about watching a couple of guys having fun, and the more fun they got to have, the better it was. The yearly specials being the epitome of this, because it was just them having a road trip in bodged cars through exotic places. The road trips through Italy and France to test out new cars are a precursor to that, but not nearly as fun because the cars are usually too perfect and they can't cut loose as much. If those are gone because Evans wants to keep up his DJ job then a large part of the enjoyment for me is gone straight off the bat. I would imagine he'll simply get someone to fill in for him for a few weeks a year while he films those segments though, because I can't see those being cut entirely.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ineptmule posted:

Perhaps, but for £3million maybe he'll can the other stuff to live the dream.

he really doesn't need the money

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Jesus, how much does a radio DJ make?

That is a serious question: I am completely clueless about such things.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
It's more about the fortune he made selling his TV production company.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
He bought a 12 million quid ferrari 250 GTO, you can't do that on a DJ's wage (I don't think)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

yeah, there's a lot of numbers banded about, but it looks like Radio 2 pay him £600,000 a year. Plus he made £40 million personally from selling the production company. He's not short of a penny either way

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ineptmule posted:

Jesus, how much does a radio DJ make?

That is a serious question: I am completely clueless about such things.

He is minted from his previous tv days and owns a massive private collection of classic cars.

Sounds like he has been given not only presenting duties but production too. It's pretty much his baby now.
He just said that they will be announcing details for an open audition for co presenters (open as in anyone!) as well as him having a list of people he wants to approach.

I still have my reservations but it sounds like it might be in good hands. The reason he has given for publicly saying before that he wouldn't do it was because at the time may and Hammond were still officially on board and he didn't want to step on their toes and actually wanted them to carry on( he is friends with all of the original three). Now they have walked away it is all fair game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chris Evans, Danny Baker and Gazza.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

goatface posted:

I seriously wouldn't mind Baker getting a prominent role back on TV. His Radio 5 show is really good

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
And the stig, now a woman.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

goatface posted:

Jimmy five bellies as the new stig

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought he died?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Actually, can we take this chance to get Sabine Schmit on as a new presenter. I think she may have been doing German Top Gear at one point, may even still be doing so, but who cares about Germany? Sabine and Guy Martin are pretty much my dream two other presenters.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Vicki Butler-Henderson would be a good choice I feel.

And then obviously a toss up between Quentin Willson and Tiff Needell.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just get two people that have good chemistry with Chris Evans and then get them all to piss about with cars, occasionally in other countries.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

tsob posted:

Actually, can we take this chance to get Sabine Schmit on as a new presenter. I think she may have been doing German Top Gear at one point, may even still be doing so, but who cares about Germany? Sabine and Guy Martin are pretty much my dream two other presenters.

That would actually be amazing and I would watch the hell out of it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NaDy posted:

That would actually be amazing and I would watch the hell out of it.

Make an ongoing segment where she breaks one of Clarkson's records each week.

Her clowning him repeatedly at the Nürburgring is the highlight of Top Gear.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Just get two people that have good chemistry with Chris Evans and then get them all to piss about with cars, occasionally in other countries.

This

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

Vicki Butler-Henderson would be a good choice I feel.

And then obviously a toss up between Quentin Willson and Tiff Needell.

All 3 are terrible

Gorn Myson posted:

This guy gets it

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
So Sue Perkins isn't up for the job? She got all those twitter death threats for nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

he's also an utter twat who thinks getting his penis out is funny

Bob Mortimer mentioned this in a recent RHLSTP and it's the only thing I know about him at all. "Oh, the guy who puts his dick on people's shoulders."