Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Cyne posted:

Wow, they really went for it with the naked fat lady scans huh?

Might want to consider that link not work safe as well. Obviously if you're in a professional environment where you use anatomical reference it's fine but just to be on the safe side...

Yeah, that's fair. Done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
nice link man. there's good reference in there.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Best all in one tablet solution for sculpting right now?

Surface Pro 3 or Cintiq tablet?

I was told the other day that the new cintiq tablets can plug into any PC or mac and actually use their horsepower instead of the built in stuff. This seems very interesting to me. Any thoughts? I was leaning toward the Surface Pro 3 until I heard that. Of course Wacom always charges a premium, but at least you have more options now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sigma 6 posted:

Best all in one tablet solution for sculpting right now?

Surface Pro 3 or Cintiq tablet?

I was told the other day that the new cintiq tablets can plug into any PC or mac and actually use their horsepower instead of the built in stuff. This seems very interesting to me. Any thoughts? I was leaning toward the Surface Pro 3 until I heard that. Of course Wacom always charges a premium, but at least you have more options now.

Get the Wacom. It has the side buttons. If the choice was between a Surface pro 2 or a Companion I would consider the Surface Pro 2 but probably still get the companion.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Why not the Surface 3 pro?

Side buttons and acting as a PC / Mac peripheral are compelling reasons to go with the companion. Of course the Surface Pro does come with a keyboard, but that is kind of minor at this point.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sigma 6 posted:

Why not the Surface 3 pro?

Side buttons and acting as a PC / Mac peripheral are compelling reasons to go with the companion. Of course the Surface Pro does come with a keyboard, but that is kind of minor at this point.

It's not Wacom tech behind the pen/screen. I'll gladly use standalone $80 knockoff Huion because if they suck I replace them. But for my $1000+ drawing tablet with the digitizer built in? Wacom all the way, no messing around.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I doubt you'd notice the difference most of the time.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I thought the Surface had Wacom digitizers, like the Galaxy Notes. I've heard plenty of other bad things about it mind you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Surface 2 does. Surface 3 is some other tech who's name escapes me. It's pretty similar. I still say that most people wouldn't notice the difference.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Megaspel posted:

I thought the Surface had Wacom digitizers, like the Galaxy Notes. I've heard plenty of other bad things about it mind you.

Surface Pro, not standard Surface.

Edit. Oh that was established, never mind.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Another heads up, Substance Painter is currently 40% off on steam for the next 16 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/273390/

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This may be a long-shot/wrong thread but have any of you used the DPI-8 handheld scanner from Dot Product? We bought one at work for surveying piping offshore and have had a nightmare using it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah the RAD system was for scanning flat materials. The same concept can be attached to a sphere of cameras to capture full 3d. With a fast enough system you can actually capture moving 3d. The infinite realities blog had a bunch of useful info when I was looking into things a few years ago http://ir-ltd.net/blog/

You can duplicate the RAD system roughly with a couple of flashlights and a camera (in fact, the original system used was using a photography light with a diffuser and just physically moving it around a piece of cloth, then photoshopping the results. The system we built just had software do all the processing and let us tune to the specifics of our hardware rig.

Paul Debevec is like the leading expert on this poo poo. I've had the pleasure of seeing a few different presentations from him.

3d scanning is pretty awesome but it's not going to supplant 3d modeling for a lot of uses.

Yeah Paul is pretty much the father of modern photogrammetry. I would love to be able to go to one of his talks but, as I understand it, they're mostly around his office in USC.

And to your final point, you're absolutely correct. I'm finding that I have to regularly remind the artists on my team that photoscanned assets are really just very high definition source materials. If you treat them as the one-stop-shop that is the sole provider of your end product, you're going to be in trouble. It provides fantastically high resolution stock material, you still need to be a good artist to use the assets.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Don't forget that Debevec invented HDR techniques as well. Photogrammetry combined with HDR lighting is really the key to producing photo real CGI. Proper understanding of materials / shaders is a must too.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

It's not Wacom tech behind the pen/screen. I'll gladly use standalone $80 knockoff Huion because if they suck I replace them. But for my $1000+ drawing tablet with the digitizer built in? Wacom all the way, no messing around.

I prefer the ntrig tech in surface 3 to wacom due to lack of parallax and way better responsiveness. It is not some knock off chinese brand , microsoft owns it and develops it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

Don't forget that Debevec invented HDR techniques as well. Photogrammetry combined with HDR lighting is really the key to producing photo real CGI. Proper understanding of materials / shaders is a must too.

Using IBL derived from HDRi's to remove shadows from photoscan albedos is truly, in every sense of the word, awesome.

His recent paper on facial microgeometry is really fantastic as well. It's not something my work can benefit from, as I don't work at the resolutions necessary for it to work, but I can see it being a pretty big deal in the film industry.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Sculpted in ZBrush.

I already see a few problems with the eyelids, neck and forehead. Critique away, because I want to improve:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

tango alpha delta posted:

Sculpted in ZBrush.

I already see a few problems with the eyelids, neck and forehead. Critique away, because I want to improve:

The skin texture seems, low resolution is the wrong word, but I guess not dense enough? And maybe a bit too deep. Also you can totally see the symmetry seam down the middle.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Another thread - ruined

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Some of Grant Warwick's training is on sale until the end of the month if anyone has been wanting to get in on that. Also it seems you now get a free six month V-Ray license if you buy the V-Ray course which is definitely a pretty cool deal.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

First time posting in the thread! Glad to see some arch viz people around.

In architecture school we usually have to churn out 4-6 renders with some post production, scale figures, etc in about 72 hours in addition to maybe some diagrams, sections, floorplans, a model, eating and maybe a quick nap. Now that I have a bit more time I wanted to see what it was like to give the renders a little bit more love.

In the winter lobby scene I modeled the light fixtures and everything that isn't the chair. Mountain and snow added in post. The rug is a texture with a little bit of a displacement map, and I painted on some hairs using the grass brush in photoshop to make those edges a little fuzzy.

In the jungle scene I modeled the structure on the right and the rocks. I used Forest Pack for the all the vegetation, some grass close to the structure, and for adding some additional little rocks to make the ground less flat looking.

Here are a few school renders:

Right now I model almost everything in Rhino and export. I need to watch some tutorials on max modeling techniques. If anyone has any good tutorials pass them along. I've seen the Grant Warwick modeling video referenced a couple places, seems like a good starting point.

I luckily got a chance to see the film. The camera barrel-roll style transitions from private jet to luxury car were pretty amazing. Also, I'm a recent grad in NYC so if you guys are looking for people....

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Have a pressure cooker of a project coming up and needed to create some assets fast. Having no real experience with 3D painting (or PTex stuff) I decided to try the trial of Mari.

Holy poo poo. Within minutes I was able to get my model in and started getting it textured with some insane Paint Through functions. This is going to make my life so much easier.

gently caress you UV unwrapping. gently caress you forever.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Cubicle Gangster is the reference for archviz stuff here but you probably already know that.

He often recommends viscorbel's tutorials, most of them are offered free and others that he makes are downloadable for a small price and quite worth it.
Grant Warwicks video on hard surface modeling looks good too but I never watched it.
Bertrand Benoit is another dude that does nice process and workflow tutorials that are well worth the time as far as I know.

http://viscorbel.com/
http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
http://www.bbb3viz.com/
http://masteringcgi.com.au/

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Have a pressure cooker of a project coming up and needed to create some assets fast. Having no real experience with 3D painting (or PTex stuff) I decided to try the trial of Mari.

Holy poo poo. Within minutes I was able to get my model in and started getting it textured with some insane Paint Through functions. This is going to make my life so much easier.

gently caress you UV unwrapping. gently caress you forever.

One of the Mari devs posts in this thread. His name is forelle or something similar. I work in games so haven't really got a chance to use Mari yet but I can't wait to in the future.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SpoonsForThought posted:

I luckily got a chance to see the film. The camera barrel-roll style transitions from private jet to luxury car were pretty amazing. Also, I'm a recent grad in NYC so if you guys are looking for people....

Hey, thank you man! I was in charge of the manor to the end of the jet sequence, and then the clock - living - barcelona pavillion - pool section.
How did you see it? some of the partners do classes, were you in any?

We are always looking for people - you've got a great eye too, some people cant make better images given all the time in the world.
Are those the only 2 images you've been able to spend more time on? If you get a couple more like those together & brush up on modeling in max you should absolutely send them over, the quality of those is great for a recent grad.
And yeah, grant warwicks hard surface, viscorbels (good material ones too, grants are a little ott), and these - http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/show_product/archviz-training-bundle/10827/0/0/ are great
The evermotion ones cover all bases to a pretty high standard.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I design liqueurs and spirits packaging, and I want to pre-visualize the design in 3d rather than having to photoshop a realistic bottle and label for every different angle.

I know how to model in maya and the basics of uv mapping/shaders/rendering in mentalray, but I want to get better at rendering realistic glass bottles specifically. Any pointers or links on that topic?

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 29, 2015

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

concerned mom posted:

One of the Mari devs posts in this thread. His name is forelle or something similar. I work in games so haven't really got a chance to use Mari yet but I can't wait to in the future.

Glad you like it BonoMan!

I wrote Mari back at Weta and now manage it for The Foundry.

If you've got any questions etc please let me know. My bandwidth on this thread is very low, but I'll try and get back to you.

I can probably sort out some evals if anyone is interested.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You know, I've been thinking recently that I'd love to try a couple of things in it, see if I can do what I'm thinking and make a case for getting a copy. Any chance I could get an evaluation? Thanks :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

KinkyJohn posted:

I design liqueurs and spirits packaging, and I want to pre-visualize the design in 3d rather than having to photoshop a realistic bottle and label for every different angle.

I know how to model in maya and the basics of uv mapping/shaders/rendering in mentalray, but I want to get better at rendering realistic glass bottles specifically. Any pointers or links on that topic?

Viscorbel's material tutorials have a few talking about glass. even if you're not using Vray some of the theory stays the same.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

forelle posted:

Glad you like it BonoMan!

I wrote Mari back at Weta and now manage it for The Foundry.

If you've got any questions etc please let me know. My bandwidth on this thread is very low, but I'll try and get back to you.

I can probably sort out some evals if anyone is interested.

:stonk: I thought you worked with Mari, I didn't know you loving made Mari. That is amazing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Geez, no kidding. I feel bad, you have me a free trial and I said I would make something but like the next week I lost my job and had to move 2 states over and then went right onto crunch at my new place so I totally forgot.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

:stonk: I thought you worked with Mari, I didn't know you loving made Mari. That is amazing.

Wow. I am also amazed. Mari is loving incredible. Well done, forelle. You made something awesome.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Pathos posted:

Wow. I am also amazed. Mari is loving incredible. Well done, forelle. You made something awesome.

Heh, thanks. That's nice to hear.

It's been nearly 10 years since I started it and I'm still in shock that people actually use it. Going into ILM, Pixar, Dreamworks, DNeg, MPC, Framestore etc. and seeing people painting away still gets me. Actually, them even letting me through the front door is a bit of a shock.

forelle fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 30, 2015

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

cubicle gangster posted:

You know, I've been thinking recently that I'd love to try a couple of things in it, see if I can do what I'm thinking and make a case for getting a copy. Any chance I could get an evaluation? Thanks :)

In your email. Enjoy.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I really enjoy messing around in Substance Designer.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

forelle posted:

In your email. Enjoy.

Thank you!

A question for everyone here -
I've got 20 different objects in my scene, all with the uv channels laid out nicely, one for each object. Now I want to bring all these uvw maps into a tiled setup and bake them all at once, but I cant find out how to arrange or control tiles.
i also cant figure out how to move a uvw map between channels while preserving the layout... any good resources that cover this? I've read a ton of tutorials that nearly get to answer these questions but they're all basically quick start/intro's to the subject and dont tell you anything about how to control or understand it if you're coming from a different approach.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 30, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

cubicle gangster posted:

A question for everyone here

I feel dumb for asking a pro this sort of question, but I have to; what software are you using?

If you're using 3D Studio that'd be a pretty simple process. In the "Unwrap UVW" modifier, there's a section that says "Channel", and in there it says "Map Channel : 1". Simply click the up (or down) spinner button and it'll ask if you want to move those uvs, or abandon them; choose move.

Voila, you have those uvs in a new channel, no fuss no muss.

Now as far as arranging them in a tile like configuration while still maintaining their original layout, I'm not sure if that's possible. You may have to just end up doing it by hand I think. I would move each object's uv 'tile' off to some random spot, attach all the objects, and then bring each 'tile' back to its appropriate place and scale to fit the new giant condensed uv layout. Basically after attaching all the different objects, your uv layout should look like this:

(note I've only got two 'tiles' there, you have to imagine twenty)

Hopefully that helps, if not then I'm sort of embarrassed.

if you're not using 3D Studio then ignore this completely

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 30, 2015

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Nope, that was perfect :)
I am using max, yeah. sorry for not saying!

Is there a way to view the tile boundaries in the uvw editor? I could lay out all my objects in the correct places before merging them together, i think this should work great!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

cubicle gangster posted:

Is there a way to view the tile boundaries in the uvw editor?

I think only if you've got a bunch of uvs selected, otherwise no. You can see a general border (which also has control button things on the corners, scale, rotate, etc.) if you select uvs and are in the mode thats in my second screenshot, the one after the scale mode button in the top left, before the mirror button? I forget what it's called, but that will give you a border.

cubicle gangster posted:

Nope, that was perfect :)

Glad it helped! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
You can also select multiple objects and apply a UV unwrap modifier to them all and they'll all show up in the editor so you can position them that way. Just don't relax anything, it doesn't like it.