Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Lemur Crisis posted:

You know there's a GoT thread, right?

Yeah and I bet it's terrible too

I haven't read it but dollars to donuts it's half people saying "I'm done with this show" and half people screaming "STOP POSTING THAT YOU'RE DONE WITH THE SHOW YOU WILL BE BACK NEXT SEASON SHITLORD" and at least one dude unironically mentioning how nice he thought Cersei's rear end and tits were in the finale episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah and I bet it's terrible too

I haven't read it but dollars to donuts it's half people saying "I'm done with this show" and half people screaming "STOP POSTING THAT YOU'RE DONE WITH THE SHOW YOU WILL BE BACK NEXT SEASON SHITLORD" and at least one dude unironically mentioning how nice he thought Cersei's rear end and tits were in the finale episode

I read half a page 30 seconds ago and it literally had all of those.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Here's my irrational hatred for Game of Thrones - How a show got so popular when all it seems to be is rape.

I saw a link* where someone had helpfully gone and counted all of the rapes:

quote:

Rape acts in Game of Thrones the TV series (to date): 50

Rape victims in Game of Thrones (to date): 29

Rape acts in ASOIAF the book series (to date): 214

Rape victims in ASOIAF (to date): 117

Surprised there's any time for dragons :shrug:

* Also, the author of that article has no goddamn clue what "statistical analysis" means.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Jun 15, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

I read half a page 30 seconds ago and it literally had all of those.

Did someone also step in to correct the last guy, pointing out that they used a body double for that scene so those weren't really her tits and rear end?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Did someone also step in to correct the last guy, pointing out that they used a body double for that scene so those weren't really her tits and rear end?

Yep!

4th to last post on the page, just snuck in there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Here's my irrational hatred for Game of Thrones - How a show got so popular when all it seems to be is rape.

There's no way those numbers are right. You're falling for some trolling because you haven't read the books. That or whoever came up with those lists just counted every act of sex as rape because "maybe this one wasn't consensual" like all the whores. I guess that's rape but its kinda blurring the issue to say "there were X acts of rape!" and they're all just a bunch of whores. By that definition The Sopranos showed just as much rape as Game of Thrones.

Even then I'd be surprised if there were that many sex scenes period in the entire show much less rape scenes. The books are longer and have more sex scenes but the books also...

Well probably shouldn't get too deep into this subject, not worth it.

Gorilla Salad posted:

* Also, the author of that article has no goddamn clue what "statistical analysis" means.

You don't say? :ironicat:

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Jun 15, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

Raping dragons would be a little silly, don't you think.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Frostwerks posted:

Raping dragons would be a little silly, don't you think.

"I am the greatest Dragons Layer."

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I saw Jurassic World this past weekend. It is a bad movie. Here's the scene which knocked me out of my sense of disbelief.

For a resort that hosts 20k+ people daily, you have 1 helicopter pilot. And 1 trainee who happens to be the CEO so he can go off and die. And they make a point to say "Where's the pilot? Oh he's helping with the evacuation." What the hell job does he have that is more important then being your only helicopter pilot. The sheer stupidity of that is what knocked me out of my sense of disbelief.

Anyways, it's a bad movie, please don't go watch it even for nostalgia purposes.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Saw Insidious 3 last week. Towards the end, Lin Shaye tells the nerdy guy that he should dress better if they're going to work together. He says the t-shirt he's wearing is "vintage" and was very expensive. It bothered me that he searched for that shirt and spent a lot of money on it and still wore it out for a night of ghost hunting.

A week later I see Jurassic World. A guy in the control room is wearing a Jurassic Park t-shirt says that it's vintage and cost him a lot of money.

It was weird to have that specific thing bother me in two different movies released a week apart.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In Jurassic World, in‐universe cameras produce 3D footage. This irrationally irritated me.

P.S.: Don’t watch it in 3D. It was converted, not shot stereoscopically.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Jun 16, 2015

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Platystemon posted:

In Jurassic World, in‐universe cameras produce 3D footage. This irrationally irritated me.

P.S.: Don’t watch it in 3D. It was converted, not shot stereoscopically.

This is brilliant and perfectly sums up how stupid and gimmicky 3D is.

So glad I didn't see Mad max in 3D. There's just so much going on in that film that it'd be a crime to force any of it into the background.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Counterpoint: Mad Max looked incredible in 3D.

E: There were hardly any cheesy "COMING AT CHA" shots. The only one I remember was the steering wheel as the close to the last action scene, which is easy to forgive. Also the scene where Theron realizes there is no green place anymore and weeps looked so drat fine in 3D. I saw it in both formats at my theatre, and the 3D didn't lessen anything.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Jun 16, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Firstborn posted:

E: There were hardly any cheesy "COMING AT CHA" shots. The only one I remember was the steering wheel as the close to the last action scene, which is easy to forgive.

That was actually done with stop motion and physical props, and then overlaid on the crash footage, which I thought was really neat. No CGI apart from the compositing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Counterpoint: Mad Max looked incredible in 3D.

E: There were hardly any cheesy "COMING AT CHA" shots. The only one I remember was the steering wheel as the close to the last action scene, which is easy to forgive. Also the scene where Theron realizes there is no green place anymore and weeps looked so drat fine in 3D. I saw it in both formats at my theatre, and the 3D didn't lessen anything.

I went in bitching and moaning about the fact we were seeing Mad Max in the 3D theater. No amount of leather recliner seats, or 'they have a bar' could change my mind that 3D=lovely experience.

I was wrong. So, so wrong.

The 3D just kinda faded into the background. I didn't really notice it after a while, but I was still aware of it and could appreciate it much like I would any movie with exceptional cinematography. Somehow they managed to avoid the "what do I focus on?" conundrum with most movies filmed natively in 3D.

I'm sure that when I see this when it's released on video, I'll be the one thinking, "Jeez, for some reason, this just doesn't look right... can't quite put my finger on it."

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jun 16, 2015

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Saw Jurassic World over the weekend, and other than the complaints in this thread already, one thing really bugged me.

The guy running the gyrosphere ride is your typical Six Flags apathetic teenager. I find it very hard to believe that there would be "summer job" employees like that helping run a park that is located on an island near Costa Rica.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah my local theatre had no 2d screenings for Mad Max so I had to suck it up and see it in 3d too. It actually does look amazing in 3d. It helps that almost the entire film takes place outdoors in the desert so the glasses don't make everything look too dark. It also helps that for the most part they have the depth effect going into the screen so it's more like looking out a big window then a big pop-up book, which feels more natural and less distracting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lagomorphic posted:

It also helps that for the most part they have the depth effect going into the screen so it's more like looking out a big window then a big pop-up book, which feels more natural and less distracting.

Yes, that's exactly it! I was trying to figure out why the 3D felt so different in Mad Max than the other abominations I've seen, and this describes it perfectly.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Observe Me posted:

Saw Jurassic World over the weekend, and other than the complaints in this thread already, one thing really bugged me.

The guy running the gyrosphere ride is your typical Six Flags apathetic teenager. I find it very hard to believe that there would be "summer job" employees like that helping run a park that is located on an island near Costa Rica.

For me, it was someone outrunning a T-Rex in highheels.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Grimlook posted:

For me, it was someone outrunning a T-Rex in highheels.

She learned from Scully

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah my local theatre had no 2d screenings for Mad Max so I had to suck it up and see it in 3d too. It actually does look amazing in 3d. It helps that almost the entire film takes place outdoors in the desert so the glasses don't make everything look too dark. It also helps that for the most part they have the depth effect going into the screen so it's more like looking out a big window then a big pop-up book, which feels more natural and less distracting.

RealD is supposed to be better at depth, while IMAX 3D is better at pop out stuff. Movies rarely play to the strengths of the type of 3D a majority of its audience is going to see, for some reason.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Every time I see the trailer to the new Terminator I cringe at John Conner's terrible American accent. The worst example is at 27 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSxss7gWak

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

flosofl posted:

Somehow they managed to avoid the "what do I focus on?" conundrum with most movies filmed natively in 3D.

Probably mostly by dint of having the thing you're supposed to be focusing on front and centre in many if not most shots. It;s one of the many good things about the cinematography in that film, they kept it very simple.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

Every time I see the trailer to the new Terminator I cringe at John Conner's terrible American accent. The worst example is at 27 seconds in:

Not as bad as the one in Pacific Rim. God drat that was a horrible one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think everyone will always be unhappy with the majority of the portrayals of their native accent. Irish ones are so painful to listen to, they're also really racist caricatures.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

I am so confused by the plot of this trailer.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ignite Memories posted:

A franchise once thought dead rises from the grave, moaning in an incoherent Austrian accent, begging for relevance even as it claws those who once loved it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

A franchise once thought dead rises from the grave, moaning in an incoherent Austrian accent, begging for relevance even as it claws those who once loved it.

He asked about Genisys not Rise of the Machines

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

EmmyOk posted:

He asked about Genisys not Rise of the Machines

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the cultists' necromantic chants of "We Want Terminator 2 Again."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the cultists' necromantic chants of "We Want Terminator 2 Again."

haha

For real though if I went into Genisys and five minutes in the screen went black and said "only loving with you" then they start playing Terminator 2 I'd be pretty happy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

EmmyOk posted:

haha

For real though if I went into Genisys and five minutes in the screen went black and said "only loving with you" then they start playing Terminator 2 I'd be pretty happy.

Hey, no argument here, that movie was everything a Terminator movie should be. Some franchises just need to stay dead.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Bah, it's simple. Imagine 4 balls on the edge of a cliff. Terminator sequels work the same way...

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

EmmyOk posted:

I think everyone will always be unhappy with the majority of the portrayals of their native accent.
Unfortunately, the majority will be unhappy with a portrayal of a native accent(See Blood Diamond, where the only people not compaining about DiCaprio's accent are actual South Africans.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite part of the new Terminator trailer was the part where they had characters quote lines from the previous movies as if they were not talking to the characters in question but instead the audience themselves. oh wait no that's my least favorite part because it's retarded.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rysithusiku posted:

The first book is really quite good, the first season of the show follows it pretty closely except for the ending.
Also Dexter is psychic, and LaGuerta figures out that he's a serial killer because he's not attracted to her, and Deb finds out that Dexter is a serial killer and is just fine with it. It's a pretty terrible book.

JT Smiley posted:

So, did they start by writing down all the iconic bits from the first two Terminator films and then just try to build a passably coherent script around them?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remembered an old moment that really bugged me when it came out - Karate Kid 2.

So Scott Bao or whoever goes to Japan with Mr Miyagi and gets into a tussle with some local thugs. At one point, the thugs are buying vegetables off some local farmers because they're just that loving hard. But one of the weights on their scale breaks and it turns out it was made of plaster rather than metal.

Oh no, they are ripping off the farmers! How evil.

But the thugs were the ones buying, so using light weights mean the sales would show the produce as being heavier than it was, mean they would be paying out more money to the farmers. They were ripping themselves off :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JT Smiley posted:

I'm just upset they cast Jason Clarke as John Connor period.

I mean we had that boy in T2, then the dude from carnivale in T3, they looked kinda similar. And you could see how those kids could grow up to maybe be Christian Bale's dude.
And then now we have Jason Clarke? He's completely different.

I get that they're doing it because the T-1000 is going to spend half the film looking like John so Jason Clarke is actually the bad guy, but that just defeats the whole point of having him be John.
I can't see Emilia Clarke being his mother...

... wait... Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke... don't tell me some stupid Hollywood exec cast them as family because they have the same real name IRL :what:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

EmmyOk posted:

I think everyone will always be unhappy with the majority of the portrayals of their native accent. Irish ones are so painful to listen to, they're also really racist caricatures.

I like how in burn notice in the pilot episode they have that lady do the worst loving irish accent ever and when they got picked up they immediately wrote her first line of dialog as "how do you like my american accent? I am a spy too so I can do this. I will use it from now on, forever, even during the episodes we go to ireland or whatever."

So it's a bad show and I gave up on it after half a season but every time it comes on the first thing you hear in the intro explaining the premise is her attempting to say "miami" from the pilot episode like goddamn. 'moiame'. If they knew her irish accent was so poo poo you'd write it out so thoroughly why not have a redo on the goddamn intro?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bruce Campbell was the only reason I kept watching that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KozmoNaut posted:

Bruce Campbell was the only reason I kept watching that show.

He was bad in it and his character was poo poo, but nerds love Bruce Campbell and he's dined out on that his whole career.