Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

"I have a good idea" is usually the sign of someone who can't do something to help and think that anyone who can do something are all sitting around waiting for the people with ideas.

Telling them politely to have a go at learning X or Y "as it's not too difficult to get into making something" is like some backwater voodoo answer they refuse to hear.

*posts Onion TED video*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
It is worth mentioning that the guy from Citybound managed to achieve 10x more in the first three months of development than Boom Town did in its entire three years in 'development'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's also important to note that after Cities XL first came out as an online game and failed, the company actually went bankrupt. The single player cities XL and all further updates were made by another company that bought the code and rights to the branding at fire-sale prices. Because they got the game at fire-sale prices all they had to do was violently lop off the multiplayer content then slap a bandaid over the gaping bloody wound. They made enough money to add some stitches to that wound and toss in some really really bad buildings that don't at all match the quality of the rest of the art. They made some money off of that, enough to do it again, and again. Since they got the game practically for nothing, they actually turn a profit each time since they didn't have to actually make the base game, just slap some extra poo poo on top.

And I remember intently following the development of the game from when it was first announced. They had a lot of great ideas. Roads were supposed to be lane-by-lane customized a bit like in CiM2. There was going to be semi-dynamic buildings made from chunks to better fill odd shaped lots and have more building variety. There was going to be proper mixed-use zoning as well as tons of zoning tools to let you set physical height restrictions and building style options. Their downfall was multiplayer, net code is hard. The online portion ended up sucking more and more of their resources away, they ended up saying as much. They had to cut feature after feature to dedicate all time towards getting the mmo part of the game working, and they never did. Their long term plan was that the monthly subscriptions people paid for the online "service" would let them finish the game, they really hoped and gambled that they'd get enough subscribers to continue to develop. But after the fairly open beta people realized the core game had some good aspects but felt very unfinished and buggy, and the online mode was ridiculously buggy and unfinished and even if it was finished didn't really add that much to the game. No one wanted to pay monthly, no one wanted the "online offer" because it didn't loving work, at all. Servers were constantly down, saves were lost, trading didn't work. Imagine Simcity 2014's launch state but on top asking for a fairly hefty monthly fee similar to an MMO like WoW or what ever.

If Monte Cristo had done the reverse, made a good core single player game that they then used to develop an online mode they may have pulled off what ever their plan was. Or quickly realized no one wants to pay monthly for the online mode of a city builder and just put everything into making the game good...

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 4, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think also that we are in the midst of transitioning from single core to multi core (although that should be about done) but also from 32 bit to 64 bit (leaving XP people behind). I do think Cities XL had some good concepts and perhaps someone will pick up the ball and implement those concepts in a totally different game.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

Whats with simtropolis guys building games? Can I read about this somewhere? Also you forgot that one game a goon is making, Citybound. I guess it's not released so it doesn't count.

Never released, but until paradox showed up he was the most hopeful thing yet. I hope he keeps at it and realizes his dream though.

Metrication posted:

It is worth mentioning that the guy from Citybound managed to achieve 10x more in the first three months of development than Boom Town did in its entire three years in 'development'.

Seriously. A long time ago, around societies, I remember they had someone actually doing things. They got to the point of rendering terrain and that was it. Maybe roads too.
It's largely just ideas guys and people chiming in with things they must do to make it decent like mixed use industrial residential.

Baronjutter posted:

If Monte Cristo had done the reverse, made a good core single player game that they then used to develop an online mode they may have pulled off what ever their plan was. Or quickly realized no one wants to pay monthly for the online mode of a city builder and just put everything into making the game good...

Thanks for supplementing there. I forgot they sold it all off, among other details. I don't think many people remember just how out of the blue the MMO part was though. They spent months hyping things, and the game looked good from screenshots (that curiously had normal people or they left out their big headed monstrosities, I forgot which). Then within the span of I think just a month they went from "it also supports multiplayer" to "we're an mmo". It riled up everyone and a lot of people lost faith instantly in the project. The market didn't want an MMO city builder.

As bad as SC5 was, I think it did show some promising possibilities for an MMO city builder. I just don't think there's many/any studios right now competent enough to pull it off.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't know why anyone would want an MMO city builder. Everything about them seems either so tedious or frustrating that it would be horrible to play, or completely pointless. I could see a multiplayer, SC4 type region being fun for Skylines, but holy poo poo not an MMO where you're forced to cooperate with a bunch of random chucklefucks.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't know why anyone would want an MMO city builder. Everything about them seems either so tedious or frustrating that it would be horrible to play, or completely pointless. I could see a multiplayer, SC4 type region being fun for Skylines, but holy poo poo not an MMO where you're forced to cooperate with a bunch of random chucklefucks.

On the other hand you could see it as a simulation of actual urban planning. Balancing the interests of different players, dealing with spergs who have pet projects or favorite areas of the city, arguing for funding and right of way to build the poo poo you want. It would not be any fun at all but it'd be a way to get politics into the game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, I downloaded 500(?) MB of Cities: Skylines workshop content and now current city's saves bring up unknown errors every 5 seconds. Half of my city no longer has power, despite being way over capacity. Only a single asset, a building I don't have placed in my city, has been updated since the last time I played.

:suicide:

Bold Robot posted:

On the other hand you could see it as a simulation of actual urban planning. Balancing the interests of different players, dealing with spergs who have pet projects or favorite areas of the city, arguing for funding and right of way to build the poo poo you want. It would not be any fun at all but it'd be a way to get politics into the game.

Yeah, this is what I meant when I said that it seems tedious or frustrating.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, it would work if there was politics. Resource sharing another big one.

I also think some kind of county/province/state -wide law system would be cool. Enact laws that benefit some cities over others, vote on incorporating other cities into your own mega city. Etc etc.

If you make it competitive and more about resource and population management than traffic, it could kinda work.

I mean, then you'd have goons flooding other peoples cities with hordes of homeless people like in SC5, but that's okay. It adds character to the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Well, I downloaded 500(?) MB of Cities: Skylines workshop content and now current city's saves bring up unknown errors every 5 seconds. Half of my city no longer has power, despite being way over capacity. Only a single asset, a building I don't have placed in my city, has been updated since the last time I played.

:suicide:
I've heard modding is a lot more painless with this game than SC4. :v:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8477957,-85.6781903,1070m/data=!3m1!1e3

Pretty 4 lane cloverleaf that Chrome extension pulled up

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

I've heard modding is a lot more painless with this game than SC4. :v:

While I don't know what the download was about, my issue was that I had unsubscribed to some bugged vehicles while they were still active in the city.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

That's basically what kids have turned Minecraft into, just without the city simulation part.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Do all these car assets replace cars in vanilla Skylines, or merely add on to them? I'm rather interested in trying to switch things around for more of an immediate postwar suburb boom sort of feel, which means swapping out the most modern-looking cars, trains, etc., but I don't know if that's even really doable yet or not.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just want to point out that, similar to Citybound, the two successful community-maintained transport games Simutrans and OpenTTD are both initially the work of a single person.

Simutrans was started as a closed-source freeware experiment by a German guy before the turn of the millenium. He developed it into a playable thing, later on opened the source, and after the project had grown a good amount of contributors, left for other things. The basic UI has changed very little since 1998 or whenever and is still bad.

OpenTTD was also started as a closed experiment by the same guy who later made uTorrent. It was a straight-up decompile-and-reimplement of the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe, aiming to be a perfect carbon copy. IP-law-wise I'd say the project has always been and probably will forever stay on very shaky ground, since its base was a case of straight plagiarism. The original developer turned it over to the community and much of the original code has been ripped out and replaced.

Either way, both are cases of a single person delivering a near-complete product and turning it over to community, there hasn't been any design by committee until late in their life. Basically, community projects like that are doomed to fail.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The funniest thing about Cities XXL is the mad fanbase defending their gem, saying how Cities Sklines is bad since you can only make small million people cities.

Ignorning the fact that the numbers in XXL mean nothing since probably only a handfull are actually calculated.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The biggest problem with Cities XL wasn't the lack of multicore support.

It was the horrifyingly bad memory leaks they never got rid of despite releasing three versions of the game and which rendered even a mid sized city unplayable after half an hour.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Michaellaneous posted:

The funniest thing about Cities XXL is the mad fanbase defending their gem

If you poo poo on a plate, nobody will like you. But if you poo poo on a plate regularly and consistently, you'll get a fan base defending you to the death.

I never thought the Law of Bad Webcomics would one day be applied to video games. What a world.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Didn't someone here say a while ago that they had found a mod to randomize the life span of citizens so that you don't wind up with consistent death waves? This is becoming a huge problem for me now that I have the eye dropper tool and am laying down hundreds of houses at the same time. However, I can't find a mod to help it out, and I'm worried that I'm misremembering. It sucks having to let the simulation run for like 30-60 minutes to get back in the green.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Didn't someone here say a while ago that they had found a mod to randomize the life span of citizens so that you don't wind up with consistent death waves? This is becoming a huge problem for me now that I have the eye dropper tool and am laying down hundreds of houses at the same time. However, I can't find a mod to help it out, and I'm worried that I'm misremembering. It sucks having to let the simulation run for like 30-60 minutes to get back in the green.

Probably this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421188880

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

That's the one, thanks.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The biggest problem with Cities XL wasn't the lack of multicore support.

It was the horrifyingly bad memory leaks they never got rid of despite releasing three versions of the game and which rendered even a mid sized city unplayable after half an hour.

Yeah. I saw that game after the whole hype and let down (lol if you get hyped for games before they are released and aren't a bitter bitter gamer) and picked up the re-do by the company that bought it and I had fun. It wasn't great but it had some cool concepts and scratched the itch just fine.

Once it starts lagging around a mid sized city it gets lovely really quick though and it's basically unplayable. If it wasn't for that and the gutted out beach/ski/whatever stuff, it would have been much better. I was enjoying making little communities on stilts out on the water but it would have been even better if there was an actual beach or ski resort to run like they wanted to do.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Started a new city. Been having a lot of fun with this one, especially with bus lanes and metros:

the metro chaos:

and finally due to the sheer amount of traffic turning right on this particular highway roundabout, I put some extra... options in:

which seems to work really well. No longer are cars blocking the opposite exit continuously. I'm using traffic manager to put give way signs on the enterances.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Just some advise for anyone who's been having issues with their mods panel showing up blank:

I believe that there is an issue with some files in in the _:\Users\___\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Addons folder (Windows 7 file path, at least) which prevents the mods panel from appearing properly, as well as causing compatibility issues with some mods. In order to fix this you need to delete the contents of this folder.

However, like I said I think I only partially found it (as I have no clue what the real problem is), so here's what my process was for fixing my mods panel:

First, create a backup of any personal files (i.e., not from the workshop) found in your AppData\Local Cities_Skylines folder. Then delete that folder, the Colossal Order folders under documents and possibly AppData\roaming. Once that's done, delete the game's content in Steam and re-download a fresh install. Finally, I moved some saved games and maps back into the AppData\Local Cities_Skylines folder. However, moving backed up files into the Addons folder resulted in the bug, and I'm unsure of which was the source of the problems.

Also, as an aside, there is a mod that allows for changing asset classifications, which means that it is finally easy enough for me to create a bunch of level 1-5 variations of Euro style low density housing. Would anyone be interested in this? I can try to get in contact with some mod authors to see if they'd be okay with me uploading variations to the workshop (assuming that that's possible, anyways).

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Also, as an aside, there is a mod that allows for changing buttet classifications, which means that it is finally easy enough for me to create a bunch of level 1-5 variations of Euro style low density housing. Would anyone be interested in this?

Since no one else is posting, I will: yes!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Also, as an aside, there is a mod that allows for changing asset classifications, which means that it is finally easy enough for me to create a bunch of level 1-5 variations of Euro style low density housing. Would anyone be interested in this? I can try to get in contact with some mod authors to see if they'd be okay with me uploading variations to the workshop (assuming that that's possible, anyways).

Yes

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I've just reached the end of this massive thread having purchased the game about a month ago. I now know the sting of the 'gently caress IT, IT WORKS, OKAY?' spaghetti noodle junction.

as well as the joys of the game just loving with you.

Quick question - at some point through reading the thread a mod was mentioned that effectively acted as the route query tool for SC4, and I can't for the life of me find it - can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Breetai posted:

Quick question - at some point through reading the thread a mod was mentioned that effectively acted as the route query tool for SC4, and I can't for the life of me find it - can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks.

Here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408092246

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Brilliant! Any potential mod conflicts/issues I should worry about?

On another note: my whole city.

You can really see where I started to experiment with different construction methods in each little area. The hexagonal/square residential groupings are all one-way streets and they're smooth like butter.

No mods so far except for precision engineering: I want my first run through to be as vanilla as practicable, then I've got the feeling that I'll be making obsessively perfect bonsai cities for years.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord
God this is a really cool game. Having actual people going to work and firefighters failing to reach their destination because of my horrific road planning is actually awesome. I'm still only 30 minutes into this, but so far everything is intuitive and makes sense.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Avocados posted:

God this is a really cool game. Having actual people going to work and firefighters failing to reach their destination because of my horrific road planning is actually awesome. I'm still only 30 minutes into this, but so far everything is intuitive and makes sense.

It is a great game. I hope it gets more recognition as the year goes on. Just really well designed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I wish I could see the routes of cars trying to use a block of road like in Simcity 4. I want to figure out why 50,000 trucks are trying to use a stretch of road when perfectly suitable alternate routes exist plus a Big Dig goes right to the industrial part of town!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wish I could see the routes of cars trying to use a block of road like in Simcity 4. I want to figure out why 50,000 trucks are trying to use a stretch of road when perfectly suitable alternate routes exist plus a Big Dig goes right to the industrial part of town!

Pro tip for this game: 50% of the time there's a mod for it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408092246&searchtext=

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Traffic++ makers have found a way to make cars calculate the path while they are en-route too, to make the cars use all the lanes available and to anticipate traffic jams.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/39wex5/soon_single_lane_traffic_jams_yeah_we_fixed_those/

I tried making these BBCODE images, but no luck.

http://i.imgur.com/aT3xqgT.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/1ZtvoOw.gifv

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how well that will work performance and stability wise.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Moridin920 posted:

I wonder how well that will work performance and stability wise.

Yeah that was my thought as well, specially since so many people seem to have performance issues on the game. But according to the reddit thread when they started development it was running 4x as slow and now it's "barely noticeable". So probably another situation where unless you running an ancient computer you'll do fine. I'm excited to check this out if I wasn't totally engrossed in EU4

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord
You know I never cared about traffic and city planning because you could make a viable city in SC4 even with commute times from hell. That part always seemed boring to me and the game didn't really punish it. This game is kicking my rear end for really lazy planning and nonsensical roads. Its frustrating because I'm so used to neglecting it. But I did finally make a city that was moderately populated but easy to drive though (although everyone got sick and dead because of an unrelated poop problem).

Its pretty satisfying when I solve little traffic issues, and even more-so when I know all the cars/people im looking at are actually real. Even though I'm garbage at this game compared to SC4, I dont think I can go back. Actual visual feedback is a magical thing and I've become excited about traffic.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Picked this up during the steam sale and have been loving it so far. I can handle traffic management for low density but once I start building a high density urban core I always end up with one or two roads just gridlocked. Any recommended guides to managing high traffic volumes?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Picked this up during the steam sale and have been loving it so far. I can handle traffic management for low density but once I start building a high density urban core I always end up with one or two roads just gridlocked. Any recommended guides to managing high traffic volumes?

I am in the same position about to ask the same question. I was playing Green Plains and I have no idea how to manage the traffic off the highway. Most of the traffic in the city I can handle find mostly, but there's just a giant gridlock there that I have no idea how to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Post some screenshots of problem areas. Be prepared to tear down and rebuild. Just expanding/upgrading may not be enough, try to identify the problem flow source and destination and consider that it may require its own route.