Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
So the beautiful plan to destroy ISIS involves necromancy and presumably sending UN forces ashore in Gaza which will in turn bring in Iran to the war.

I mean, that's what MacArthur would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I'm so happy.

I need him to make it to the debates. Please god, just give me a single debate with the Don onstage.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

So the beautiful plan to destroy ISIS involves necromancy and presumably sending UN forces ashore in Gaza which will in turn bring in Iran to the war.

To be fair to MacArthur, if he were to land in Gaza, it would be the most beautiful landing that's ever taken place there. It would be an absolute triumph of tactics and short-term planning.

...aaaaaand then yes, it would drag Iran into the conflict and we'd be hosed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nietzschean posted:

I do not watch political TV and I am curious: how much of the Republican candidate field looking silly is real and how much of it is an echoing circle jerk?

Consider that there are 3 candidates that could reasonably fight for the "serious/establishment" label, compared with one last election.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

AhhYes posted:

I'm so happy.

I need him to make it to the debates. Please god, just give me a single debate with the Don onstage.

This would be hilarious--it'd be like that scene in Season 1 of Alpha House where Bettencourt is debating all those crazy GOP Senate hopefuls.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bpower posted:

Really? You can make an independent judgement on Trump,Carlson etc? Whats the question? Are they actually fit for the presidency of the US and we're just a bunch of sneering liberals? No.

The vast majority of successful politicians do not seem like good people who any sane person would want to be in a position of power, so there's that I guess? Plenty of politicians on both sides seem horribly underqualified, especially when you look at who serves on various congressional committees. The thing you just said could easily be reversed and said by the other side. I'm personally going to end up voting for Hilary because she's the least evil option and that's what one does in a FPTP voting system, but that doesn't mean either side is more or less silly.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nietzschean posted:

The vast majority of successful politicians do not seem like good people who any sane person would want to be in a position of power, so there's that I guess?

Eh, but there are degrees of silliness and craziness. There really isn't anybody on the Democratic side at this point who could compare to Ben Carson, Donald Trump, etc.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Two news links worth reading:

1: Brian B at TNR discusses why Hillary winning is a lesser victory than a Republican winning and why you should be depressed as a D
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122045/most-optimistic-theory-about-president-hillary-clintons-agenda

2: Paul Waldman does some good concern trolling about The Donald
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/06/16/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-the-donald/

That TNR article does a really great "welp Hilary" schitck that's not exactly new. gently caress, it's basically just a modern theory on what bill would be doing to cobble together his platform and adapting it to her. Clinton politics are the populist portions of the left and her focusing on domestic issues like taxes or funding schools may not be sexy, but it's at least something we can generally agree is a good thing. Also, they do a very good job of glossing over the single most important reason to coronate her for the next 8 years--Supremes. For everything obamacare is or is not, his lasting legacy honestly might be more a result of landing sotomayor and Kagan on the court just based on the legislative and executive policy climates any democratic president will have to undergo. Follow that with 8 more years of nominations and that court becomes the single most important ally democrats will have for the next two decades. Who cares if it isn't overcoming the obstacles or the big victory a republican would need, winning is winning and it's a time for consolidating gains and keeping a brand afloat for the foreseeable future.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Majorian posted:

At this point the race is Hillary's to lose.

The problem is Hillary doesn't need to just win which honestly is all but a forgone conclusion at this point, she will almost certainly do better than Obama in 2012 short of some sort of major campaign implosion like video popping up of her strangling puppies, she needs to win the Senate too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
After this morning's idiocy at work that literally made an entire work week completely useless, I thought nothing could cheer me up.

I was wrong.

I was so, so wrong. :allears:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

How would you not vote for this man? He's finally going to blow the lid off Big Death. Once we've got the fell magicks of الظلام الذي ينتظره on our side it doesn't matter how many casualties we take. We'll just bring them back. We can also finally achieve lives of perfect leisure, doing as we please, while our Ta'engata kaimahi me te Mamahi do all the work. If necro-Trump isn't the embodiment of Republican values I'm not sure who is.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Three Olives posted:

The problem is Hillary doesn't need to just win which honestly is all but a forgone conclusion at this point, she will almost certainly do better than Obama in 2012 short of some sort of major campaign implosion like video popping up of her strangling puppies, she needs to win the Senate too.

The Senate is do-able, she needs to absolutely crush in the House to gain it back (54-46, maybe a point more).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Three Olives posted:

Eh, I won't be shocked if we see the stock market take a tumble in the next few years. 8 years of growth is really pushing the edge of the business cycle, particularly given how lopsided this recovery has been

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/16/trump-to-run-for-president-of-not-china-broken-dreamless-nation.html

quote:

The government, Trump said, spent too much money on its Obamacare website. “I have so many websites,” Trump said. “I have them all over the place. I hire people, they do a website, it costs me $3.”

Trump noted his reputation in his speech Tuesday. Pundits had predicted “Donald will never run,” Trump said, “because he’s private” and fears people finding out he’s not as wealthy as he claims. Trump said such accusations were completely baseless, because “I have a total net worth of 8,737,540,000.”

Throughout his speech, Trump made a number of declarations and promises, from the mundane—“I promise I will never be in a bicycle race, that i’ll tell ya”—to the grandiose—“I would build a great wall—nobody builds walls better than me…And I would have Mexico paying for that wall.”

At another point, Trump said, “I’m really rich.”

But it all amounted to one simple message: “Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.”

He is just so god drat adorable.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Majorian posted:

To be fair to MacArthur, if he were to land in Gaza, it would be the most beautiful landing that's ever taken place there. It would be an absolute triumph of tactics and short-term planning.

...aaaaaand then yes, it would drag Iran into the conflict and we'd be hosed.

And an incredibly photo op.

He'd probably force the boats back to re-land to get that perfect shot.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheGreyGhost posted:

That TNR article does a really great "welp Hilary" schitck that's not exactly new. gently caress, it's basically just a modern theory on what bill would be doing to cobble together his platform and adapting it to her. Clinton politics are the populist portions of the left and her focusing on domestic issues like taxes or funding schools may not be sexy, but it's at least something we can generally agree is a good thing. Also, they do a very good job of glossing over the single most important reason to coronate her for the next 8 years--Supremes.

Absolutely 100% agreed; the next president will have a very high chance of determining the direction of the Supreme Court for the next decade or two. That's a huge argument in favor of voting for Hillary, regardless of anything else.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Ladies & gentlemen, I present to you the comedy option of the 2016 election cycle: Donald Trump!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Oh good, the Trump STDH.txt anecdotes are already getting out there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...100c_story.html

Washington Post posted:

That doesn’t mean Trump doesn’t believe he has a shot at the White House. He’s never lacked for confidence, even as a kid. Once, as a schoolboy, he punched his music teacher and gave him a black eye because, Trump felt, the teacher “didn’t think he knew anything about music.”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

Eh, I won't be shocked if we see the stock market take a tumble in the next few years. 8 years of growth is really pushing the edge of the business cycle, particularly given how lopsided this recovery has been

Not rare for a.drop to happen during Presidential campaigns,.either, just due to uncertainty.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

Oh good, the Trump STDH.txt anecdotes are already getting out there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...100c_story.html

People love violent know it all rich children.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Haven't watched it all myself yet, but this should be the whole Trump announcement for the others that missed it (I think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UCveugU_i0

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TheGreyGhost posted:

That TNR article does a really great "welp Hilary" schitck that's not exactly new. gently caress, it's basically just a modern theory on what bill would be doing to cobble together his platform and adapting it to her. Clinton politics are the populist portions of the left and her focusing on domestic issues like taxes or funding schools may not be sexy, but it's at least something we can generally agree is a good thing. Also, they do a very good job of glossing over the single most important reason to coronate her for the next 8 years--Supremes. For everything obamacare is or is not, his lasting legacy honestly might be more a result of landing sotomayor and Kagan on the court just based on the legislative and executive policy climates any democratic president will have to undergo. Follow that with 8 more years of nominations and that court becomes the single most important ally democrats will have for the next two decades. Who cares if it isn't overcoming the obstacles or the big victory a republican would need, winning is winning and it's a time for consolidating gains and keeping a brand afloat for the foreseeable future.

I don't think he's ignoring that a Clinton presidency would be important, what he's saying is that it's not going to be a flashy presidency in the same way that Obama's was hyped up to be. You'll likely see a lot of consolidation and lots of smaller progressive policies, but she's not going to do something on the scale of Obamacare.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm literally lightheaded. Who could have believed he would do it?

2012 was just an amuse-bouche, this is going to be a sumptuous feast of comedy.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
When Trump announced he was running I was tempted to say something about the clown having arrived at the party. Then I remembered this is the 2016 GOP primary race.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I desperately need Berke Brearthed to come back for one more comic strip.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Which she probably will, given how many tenuously GOP-held seats are up for reelection.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

When Trump announced he was running I was tempted to say something about the clown having arrived at the party. Then I remembered this is the 2016 GOP primary race.

It's more like Pennywise showing up to a party being held exclusively for clowns.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Majorian posted:

Which she probably will, given how many tenuously GOP-held seats are up for reelection.

Yeah. I think there's a good chance she'll win the Senate. The only thing that could maybe give her enough tailwind to drag the house would be a complete meltdown by the Republican party over an ACA overturn.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It is more that yet another clown drunkenly stumbled out if the minicar.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
From the posts in this thread, it sounds like he said the exact speech I heard weeks ago.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darkman Fanpage posted:

2016GOPPrimaries.jpg

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

So what kind of Trump Bump (tm) can we expect?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mdemone posted:

So what kind of Trump Bump (tm) can we expect?

It's gonna be YOOGE, obviously.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Three Olives posted:

People love violent know it all rich children.

Absolutely; just ask President Mitt Romney :v:

E: I just got really excited because I realized that Trump actually entering the race this time adds a new element to the proceedings--everyone has to react to and comment on the outrageous poo poo he says. And Trump's enough of a pompous, thin-skinned windbag that when he actually gets attacked by fellow GOP candidates he will react Chris Christie-style.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 16, 2015

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Has anyone made the joke that Trump should be running for candidacy of the Whig party yet?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

quote:

On Obamacare: "Yesterday, it came out that costs are going for people up 29, 39, 49, and even 55 percent, and deductibles are through the roof. You have to be hit by a tractor, literally, a tractor, to use it, because the deductibles are so high, it's virtually useless. It's virtually useless. It is a disaster."

Recently, insurers filed requests for increases to premiums. Those are negotiated down, as explained here.

But how do you respond to "literally, a tractor." As in, Trump thinks that for you to avoid getting a deductible you must have been hit by a tractor? What does that mean?

This is the whole thing about fact-checking Donald Trump: He is un-fact-checkable. That's his gift and his angle. As he made clear today, he says whatever he wants for as long as he wants, because, why not? If I sat down with him and said that he was wrong on GDP or wrong on premiums, he would call me a hater and a loser and disparage my dog or something. Who knows. Who knows!

Who knows. Who knows!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
That does appear to be Trump's one strength--he's immune to fact-checking, because why bother? It's just evident on its face when Trump says something that it's either a massive exaggeration or a bald-faced lie. No fact-check needed. He couches everything in stupid amounts of hyperbole. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he told us that if elected President he'd hand out gold bars from Fort Knox.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You could really hear the despair in the voice of the NPR guy when he read "he said he would be quote the Greatest Jobs President That God Ever Created end quote"

He's going to bump someone to the kiddy debate and it is going to be glorious.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

You could really hear the despair in the voice of the NPR guy when he read "he said he would be quote the Greatest Jobs President That God Ever Created end quote"

He's going to bump someone to the kiddy debate and it is going to be glorious.

Wait, there's actually going to be a kiddie table debate? :stare:

They're actually going to do it? I thought that was just a rumor. So the Fiorinas and Patakis and Jindals of the race have their time to shine? Is that it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, there's actually going to be a kiddie table debate? :stare:

They're actually going to do it? So the Fiorinas and Patakis and Jindals of the race have their time to shine? Is that it?

Yes!

Yes!

• Locked thread