Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Wow, I thought the idea of the kiddie table debate was just those candidates kicking up a snit over the fact that they weren't getting into the big boy debate--I didn't think they'd do it. I thought the RNC had put all sorts of clamps on the debate schedules to prevent this very thing.

If I were a political commentator--especially a liberal one--right now I would be positively salivating over the potential that the next 8-9 months will hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
With Trump actually running, I think it's very unlikely that we make it to August 6 with the Fox News debate rules intact.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

With Trump actually running, I think it's very unlikely that we make it to August 6 with the Fox News debate rules intact.

I'm not so sure. Trump in the debate, while godawful for the GOP, would be ratings gold.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

I look forward to the next few months where we see the GOP use any and all tactics they can to drive Trump's poll numbers down to get him out of the big boy debate.

The idea of him walking on stage with Bush, Walker, and Rubio and watching them having to grimace and shake hands with him...it brings more joy to my cold, black heart than should be physically possible.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Alter Ego posted:

Wow, I thought the idea of the kiddie table debate was just those candidates kicking up a snit over the fact that they weren't getting into the big boy debate--I didn't think they'd do it. I thought the RNC had put all sorts of clamps on the debate schedules to prevent this very thing.

If I were a political commentator--especially a liberal one--right now I would be positively salivating over the potential that the next 8-9 months will hold.

They're calling the kiddie table debate a "forum" to get around the GOP debate rules.

The next 6 months are going to be amazing. I imagine it will chill out around thanksgiving when the also-fans have all dropped out, but until then, oh man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay, so now that Trump is in, who else is left that has been making noise but hasn't entered the race yet?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

site posted:

Okay, so now that Trump is in, who else is left that has been making noise but hasn't entered the race yet?

Christie

God, if there was SOME WAY to get a Christie-Trump debate just with the two of them. How long would they last before one of them metophorically tells the other to Go Get Their Shinebox and they have a big fat guy fight all over the stage?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There is no way he will liquidate holdings in order to pay for an actual presidential campaign. He's got to be in just to revel in the attention and try to bolster his brand or is he actually that insane. I can't even tell anymore.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

site posted:

Kasich.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

site posted:

Christie and Kasich might, and Jindal hasn't officially announced but will be soon. Walker, though, is the biggest name outstanding and is the only one of the three without an announcement date that is almost certainly jumping in.

I could see Christie and Kasich passing (Christie has to know he's damaged goods, and Kasich might have enough sense to know he has no chance)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 16, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

site posted:

Walker hasn't actually announced yet and seems to be widely expected to do so. Kasich is still waiting for Jesus to ask him to run.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Christie and Kasich might, and Jindal hasn't officially announced but will be soon. Walker, though, is the biggest name outstanding and is the only one of the three without an announcement date that is almost certainly jumping in.

I could see Christie and Kasich passing (Christie has to know he's damaged goods, and Kasich might have enough sense to know he has no chance)

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/307428831.html

Sources in Walker's campaign point to July 13.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

The problem is that Fox news isn't so much the propaganda department of the Republican party, as the Republican party is the the legislative arm of Fox News.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

quote:

Role: Billionaire who will have smallest impact on presidential race
Are We Just Enabling Him: Yes

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, there's actually going to be a kiddie table debate? :stare:

They're actually going to do it? I thought that was just a rumor. So the Fiorinas and Patakis and Jindals of the race have their time to shine? Is that it?

Some New Hampshire newspaper threatened to organize an alternative debate for those not in the top-10 in the polling average, and Fox relented. Kiddie table in the afternoon, big boy debate at night.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
The best thing after he drops out he is going to be upset he didn't win and endorse Hillary and just poo poo all over the entire GOP until election day.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Three Olives posted:

The problem is Hillary doesn't need to just win which honestly is all but a forgone conclusion at this point, she will almost certainly do better than Obama in 2012 short of some sort of major campaign implosion like video popping up of her strangling puppies, she needs to win the Senate too.

Jeb loses a hypothetical popular election by like 5 points today, and the trend is drawing the two closer.

That's when the Republican field contains like 5 other viable candidates and 16 months before the general.

The fact is, getting the Obama coalition back together is not a gimme and it might be out of reach in the same way the Reagan coalition was.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
So Romney rode his private jet to "Fanfare for the Common Man", how will Trump top it?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Their safest route to avoid having Trump be a candidate answering questions on stage is by having him be the moderator asking the questions :getin:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Unless trump loses 50% of his support in the next 6 weeks he will make the cut and keep a "legitimate" candidate out of the first GOP debate.

Everything is awesome

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, there's actually going to be a kiddie table debate? :stare:

They're actually going to do it? I thought that was just a rumor. So the Fiorinas and Patakis and Jindals of the race have their time to shine? Is that it?

It's going to be comedy platinum, just like the "Values Voter Debate" of 2007 where you could watch Ron Paul's last wisps of credibility slip away as a mentally challenged girl thanked her parents for not aborting her.

Have they named the 'kid's table debate' yet and is there a date set?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Added to the OP.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Unless trump loses 50% of his support in the next 6 weeks he will make the cut and keep a "legitimate" candidate out of the first GOP debate.

Everything is awesome

"NO MORE ROOM AT THE DEBATES! NO ROOM!
Everybody move down!
Move down!
Move down!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Game: Changed!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Can I ask for an early Christmas present? Can we have Parah Sailin' and Alex Jones in as well? There's still room in this clown car, maybe if we cram enough in we can make a diamond out of pure crazy!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Game: Changed!

Quite the strange averaging here...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm not sure Hillary's education policy will scale.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

site posted:

Quite the strange averaging here...

Well if there is a curve involved...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

De Nomolos posted:

Christie

God, if there was SOME WAY to get a Christie-Trump debate just with the two of them. How long would they last before one of them metophorically tells the other to Go Get Their Shinebox and they have a big fat guy fight all over the stage?
They both pull off their suit jackets and are just speaking at the podiums angrily with only a wife beater top on

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Well if there is a curve involved...

I'm sure there's a bell curve involved when it comes to Trump.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Today is the best day, what will the Donald do tomorrow for his run. No one loving knows but it will be glorious.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

CannonFodder posted:

So Romney rode his private jet to "Fanfare for the Common Man", how will Trump top it?

There's no other possible choice.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

sbaldrick posted:

Today is the best day, what will the Donald do tomorrow for his run. No one loving knows but it will be glorious.

Actually, we do know. He'll be at a community college in Manchester, New Hampshire. Then he'll be elected as the Greatest Jobs President God Ever Created and Make America Great Again.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

quote:

Trump’s greatest genius is offering the same political analysis we hear on sober Sunday talk shows, delivered in the language of a vulgar oaf.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Haven't watched it all myself yet, but this should be the whole Trump announcement for the others that missed it (I think)

Ma Bur 22 minutes ago
+Hdtex Donald Trump the Fuckboy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

America, January 21st 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4m848bh1iY

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Actually, we do know. He'll be at a community college in Manchester, New Hampshire. Then he'll be elected as the Greatest Jobs President God Ever Created and Make America Great Again.

A community college is the best he could get or the best NH has to offer?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

comes along bort posted:

Ma Bur 22 minutes ago
+Hdtex Donald Trump the Fuckboy

YIS. I can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Scoff at Trump all you want, but this CNN analyst makes a valid point:

quote:

Errol Louis, an anchor with New York City's NY1, compared Trump’s nascent campaign with conservative demigod Ronald Reagan’s first run in 1980.

“People said this B-movie actor Ronald Reagan, he was playing opposite a chimpanzee, he couldn’t possibly be a serious candidate for office." Louis said. "And he won the presidency – twice!”

• Locked thread