Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What's with the T-60B anyway? Looks like a rustier version of the T-45D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Looking forward to what looks like an awesome open world.

Not looking forward to the shoehorning a name into dialog.

Hello, -John-, you're looking good!

(Excited Male) Save my family! Help us (monotone male, different voice actor entirely) John. (Excited Male) Please! My family is in there!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

What's with the T-60B anyway? Looks like a rustier version of the T-45D.
The X-1 looked like the Mk. II so I figure the 60b will be the first-gen Enclave power armor.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Orks confirmed?

If painting the armor red doesn't increase movement speed I dunno what to say to bethesda

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
It's going to be great because it already looks like a more polished version of new vegas. New vegas was good, why would they change the winning formula of a really successful video game? You nma types are hilarious to me. But it's ok because you don't have to buy it. haha wait a second of course you will

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It looks like the paint requires "nuclear material" to make. I don't think it's just a plain paint job in-universe.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I realize that walking around in a hulking piece of armour like that will already make you stand out and trying to move stealthily will be virtually impossible. But painting your armour bright red or yellow or pink makes me think youd become an even bigger target.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's kind of cool that an engine which is frequently described as being held together with duct tape and chicken wire now allows you to build weapons, houses, armor and technology out of bits of scrap you find. Like when the settlement that I build out of metal bits and toasters starts vibrating and then explodes and tosses pieces of itself everywhere, I'm going to be like "I knew I should have used the microwave!"

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I have one wish for Fallout 4: that when you get your weapons or inventory cleared by a scripted sequence it remembers hotkeys and equipment when the gear is returned.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

I have one wish for Fallout 4: that when you get your weapons or inventory cleared by a scripted sequence it remembers hotkeys and equipment when the gear is returned.
Never

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, that'd be good. I have a fighter in Skyrim who gets disarmed once in awhile and having to reactivate the drat hotkey every time :argh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

From other thread:

:gonk:

I am amused that you can send your newly pregnant ladies right back to work. "Yeah get back to work on that nuclear power generator. That won't affect your baby at all."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bicyclops posted:

It's kind of cool that an engine which is frequently described as being held together with duct tape and chicken wire now allows you to build weapons, houses, armor and technology out of bits of scrap you find. Like when the settlement that I build out of metal bits and toasters starts vibrating and then explodes and tosses pieces of itself everywhere, I'm going to be like "I knew I should have used the microwave!"

Scavenge enough scrap and you can upgrade Gamebryo.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Read the NMA review of Fallout 3, and it's surprisingly reasonable. Not sure what the reviewer is doing mingling with a bunch of retards who can't stop bragging about how superior they are to all the plebs who liked any of the games past the first, but I liked it.

Yeah, this is a fair review. When I first played Fallout 3, having had no prior experience with Fallout before, I thought it was pretty neato - I knew jack poo poo about the lore, didn't think too deeply about things and in general found it enjoyable. In retrospect, I can see how the world sort of falls apart and having finally gotten around to playing Fallout 1 I can totally see how some nuance is lost, and how the themes and ideas from the original games were kind of poorly adopted (see Brotherhood of Steel). It is not a brilliant Fallout game. But it's fun if you have the right mindset.

It sort of sucks that the community is so polarized though, the first 2 and most recent ones are fundamentally very different games I suppose.

I should play Fallout 2 soon.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

bethesda please do this

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rodney-CK posted:

(Excited Male) Save my family! Help us (monotone male, different voice actor entirely) John. (Excited Male) Please! My family is in there!

In Far Cry 4 you can choose to sit and enjoy crab Rangoon and not actually play the game, prompting the game to literally end within 15 minutes of the opening credits.

In Fallout 4 you will be able to tell the Vault-Tec gangster to pound sand--you don't want peace of mind or a place for your family in his vault--prompting your family to get annihilated by nuclear Armageddon within ten minutes of building your clay-faced monster of a spouse. As the nuclear dust settles, you hear your character gurgle from beneath a pile of flaming debris; s/he holds their arms up to the camera and you discover that they have become a ghoul. Then you die.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also if the past tells us anything it only means that:

Fallout 4 is gonna be an Excellent Game, then Bethesda lets Obsidian do something with it and we get an even better Fallout game!

win-win for everyone!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bicyclops posted:

If you load up your save game and your entire settlement doesn't explode, it's not a Bethesda game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If you load up your save game and your entire settlement doesn't explode, it's not a Bethesda game.

My dream of a bed of gems I can sleep on :negative:

eclipse232
Dec 4, 2001

8/24 NEVAR FORGET!

Epic High Five posted:

Orks confirmed?

Oh, the idea of roaming the wasteland in a killer can.....

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

sout posted:

It sort of sucks that the community is so polarized though, the first 2 and most recent ones are fundamentally very different games I suppose.

I've always sort of felt like Fallout 3 was closer to a sequel to 2, and New Vegas a closer sequel to 1. 1 is a whole lot more serious and dark, 2 is looser and more fun. Before 3 was even a thing people used to be super-upset about how Fallout 2 was perverting the serious tone and lore of 1.

But I think they're all pretty great so :shrug: 4's gonna be fun as hell.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Rodney-CK posted:

Yeah that totally happened when they demoed the feature. You are not very bright, are you?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm gonna boycott this game if it doesn't let me gently caress those supermutants

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there a Fallout Shelter thread?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

You're just jealous because you guys don't have a first name that is (afaik) literally the most common name in The United States of America.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zzulu posted:

I'm gonna boycott this game if it doesn't let me gently caress those supermutants

Plot twist: your wife has survived but she's the prostitute ghoul from New Vegas.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wait, it's just the first name that the NPCs say? Not surname?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

sout posted:

You're just jealous because you guys don't have a first name that is (afaik) literally the most common name in The United States of America.

Hey! I have the most common name in the world and it's probably not going to be included :(

sout
Apr 24, 2014

frajaq posted:

Wait, it's just the first name that the NPCs say? Not surname?

That's a good point, because Todd Howard named himself just "Howard."

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm fairly certain that the only NPC that bothers with your name is your robot.

edit: only basing this on the fact that making multiple voice actors/npcs say a thousand different names is a lot of loving work for very little benefit

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 16, 2015

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Minorkos posted:

I'm fairly certain that it the only NPC that bothers with your name is your robot.

It'll probably be all over the place in the vault, and then after that intro sequence yeah I bet you're right.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I used to work with a guy who's surname was Shepherd and it's sad that none of the rest of us would ever enjoy mass effect as much as him.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CarlCX posted:

I've always sort of felt like Fallout 3 was closer to a sequel to 2, and New Vegas a closer sequel to 1. 1 is a whole lot more serious and dark, 2 is looser and more fun. Before 3 was even a thing people used to be super-upset about how Fallout 2 was perverting the serious tone and lore of 1.

But I think they're all pretty great so :shrug: 4's gonna be fun as hell.

I always saw it the other way around, wackiness aside.

Fallout 1 and 3 have a lot of the same problems; the few settlements are almost totally disconnected and nothing you do at one really impacts the others. The combat is basic and the weapons are limited. The companions were an afterthought and have no bearing on anything that happens.

And then, Fallout 2 and New Vegas have a lot of similar improvements; towns that actually interact in some way. The combat is still lovely, but adds things like ammo types and new weapons to keep it fresh. Companions actually matter and can do things in the plot.

Judging by that metric, we can expect Fallout 4 to have the most in common with Fallout Tactics.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 16, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wolfsheim posted:

Judging by that metric, we can expect Fallout 4 to have the most in common with Fallout Tactics.

My pacifist run will be letting my five super mutant companions with M2s mow everything down while I sardonically whine "No, stop, please. :what:"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

More like it will have the most in common with Brotherhood of Steel.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Does that mean we'll be getting Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for Fallout 5? :ohdear:

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Mesadoram posted:

Fallout 4: aduhhhhhhh uhhhhh guhhhhh bllllbbbluhhh

So are we taking bets on having the power armor early on, and having to slowly refurbish and upgrade it over the game, or having it available for limited periods through out the game gaining longer time in the seat, and more access as the game goes on?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

TheTrend posted:

So are we taking bets on having the power armor early on, and having to slowly refurbish and upgrade it over the game, or having it available for limited periods through out the game gaining longer time in the seat, and more access as the game goes on?

My guess is the first time you get it, it's like a mini-tutorial. during the course of the introduction, it breaks somehow, and you'll have to go find a way to repair it. I really hope it doesn't end up being some kind of dumb cooldown you use every 5 minutes or whatever. That doesn't really jive with the way these open-world style RPGs play.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The name thing is cool to me because I distinctly remember discovering in Black & White that if you named your character with a normal name, it'd occasionally whisper that name in the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Raygereio posted:

Does that mean we'll be getting Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for Fallout 5? :ohdear:

I'm fairly certain that we, as a society, have decided that Brotherhood of Steel never actually happened.

• Locked thread