Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Is there like a newbie guide/ poo poo you should know list anywhere before playing? Ive never played a game like this and am kinda lost

What I did was check out the lets play in the op that's set in Ireland. Starting in Ireland in 1066 was also ok. The chance of getting destroyed in a hurry is really very, very low. The other thing to know about the game is unless you're at war nothing might happen for a few years so you can turn the speed up and sit back a bit. I think most people play while watching or listening to something else. I know I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Playing as a Zoroastrian what is the best way to convert pagans?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

T___A posted:

holy war

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

ZombieLenin posted:

I remember eons ago doing my Zoroastrian game doing the opposite. Converting to Sunni when I was holy war'd and then reconverting when I was strong enough to stand up for myself.

If you want to be cheesy its easy to just play as the mongols and marry a Zoroastrian courtier and become the Saoshyant that way.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

T___A posted:

You have axes and swords I presume?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

T___A posted:

Endless holy wars and getting all your holy sites so you have high MA, then putting Zoroastrian rulers in every single level of control of places you don't keep for yourself so you have a lot of rulers using their court chaplains to convert the lands to Zoroastrianism while yours probably does the same.

At least, that's what I did. Don't bother trying to convert people you don't control; pagans are pretty dang hard to convert, if I recall correctly, and really in general I don't think it works well. Besides, as a Zoroastrian you basically have a valid CB on the entire rest of the world, may as well use it.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Roland Jones posted:

Endless holy wars and getting all your holy sites so you have high MA, then putting Zoroastrian rulers in every single level of control of places you don't keep for yourself so you have a lot of rulers using their court chaplains to convert the lands to Zoroastrianism while yours probably does the same.

At least, that's what I did. Don't bother trying to convert people you don't control; pagans are pretty dang hard to convert, if I recall correctly, and really in general I don't think it works well. Besides, as a Zoroastrian you basically have a valid CB on the entire rest of the world, may as well use it.
Ok, I have no trouble converting lands under my control, I was just wondering how to convert foreign pagans.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

T___A posted:

Ok, I have no trouble converting lands under my control, I was just wondering how to convert foreign pagans.

Yeah, from what I understand there are massive penalties to converting pagans. I could be misremembering, but given that a lot of people in this thread advocate sending your chaplain to pagan lands as a method of killing them without causing trouble, it doesn't sound like something that works very often.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Walton Simons posted:

The base game plus Way of Life is still keeping me going, maybe just buy those before buying everything.

e: As someone who very definitely likes CK2 a great deal, is there anything that DLCs that aren't Way of Life or Sons of Abraham will add to Catholic ruler games?

The Republic - republics
Legacy of Rome - retinues
Sunset Invasion - Aztecs
Old Gods/Charlemagne - earlier starts

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Waroduce posted:

Is there like a newbie guide/ poo poo you should know list anywhere before playing? Ive never played a game like this and am kinda lost

There's a CKII LP megathread that has been very useful to me:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

T___A posted:

Basically just keep sending chaplains until you get lucky and convert the realm leader. There's no real trick to it except to just keep trying.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Basically just keep sending chaplains until you get lucky and convert the realm leader. There's no real trick to it except to just keep trying.

It's a great way to get rid of unwanted heirs or troublesome vassals, by the way! :sun:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Can Danes sail up rivers, or is it only generic Norse?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Clanpot Shake posted:

Can Danes sail up rivers, or is it only generic Norse?

It's based on the germanic religion not culture.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Edison was a dick posted:

It's based on the germanic religion not culture.

That's weird then because I am head of the Germanic church and can't sail up rivers.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What year is it? The rivers start closing off after a certain point.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There is a little bit of strategy to sending out missionaries based on what's written in the code. Pagan rulers that are cynical, arbitrary, or currently on the sharp end of a Holy War are more likely to tolerate a court chaplain showing up. Once you have a couple converts in a court, then the disease organized religion spreads a bit quicker. A cynical or arbitrary ruler is also much more likely to convert when given the chance with a chaplain than they would otherwise. Baltic pagans get a flat AI tilt to imprisoning all missionaries, while Norse and Slavic pagans reject Muslim missionaries much more often than other missionaries. Likewise, Norse pagans are more likely to accept Catholic missionaries and Slavic pagans are more likely to accept Orthodox ones.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They close after a certain fortification level is reached in the surrounding counties. If you control both banks of the river you can still sail on it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not dictated by year, it's dictated by how built up hostile forts are along the river (which is I suppose mostly a matter of time when it comes to the AI.)

edit: welp, beaten, have another Horse Lords dev diary instead.

Tributary states sound interesting (having to re-assert the relationship when a ruler dies is kinda meh though) but the "dynamic mercenaries" thing is AWESOME. I'm already looking forward to extending that to other cultures so disgruntled second sons have even more options besides "come back to take your poo poo".

edit: GODDAMNIT GROOGY.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 16, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
New dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/weekly-dev-diary-6-tributaries-and-more.863594/

quote:

Greetings, fellow gamers! Today's Horse Lords dev diary is about Tributary states, Succession in Nomad realms and Dynamic Mercenaries... but let us start with Tributary states!

The Crusader Kings vassalage system has served us fairly well, but in our design discussions, we often return to the problem of "degree"; that is, what are the terms of the contract, exactly? How tight should the contract be in non-Feudal realms, etc. Various improvements have been suggested, such as a "vassalage strength" value (a bit similar to Crown Authority, but for each vassal.) However, most of these ideas stumble on their complexity and the required amount of micro-management. When we were talking about the Nomads of the steppes, though, we really needed a looser type of subordination than outright vassalage. That is why we decided to introduce the concept of Tributaries (which we originally conceived of as a Nomad-only power, but soon chose to make available to all rulers as long as you have the expansion.)

In Horse Lords, there are two new Casus Bellis related to Tributaries; "Make Tributary" and "Free Tributary" (doing exactly what they sound like.) On the map, the names of Tributary states are no longer shown, though they retain their own colors in the Realms map mode. Tributaries pay a monthly tax to their suzerain and cannot refuse the suzerain's call to wars. However, the suzerain is also expected to protect their tributaries. Apart from this, tributaries are still autonomous. A tributary can only have one suzerain (though the suzerain can be a regular vassal of another ruler's.) The tributary status ends on the death of either ruler, and tributaries can declare wars to free themselves, of course...

Now, let us return to the steppes and talk a bit about their unique form of succession... In reality, this was a complex matter that could be represented in many different ways, but since we already have various elective forms of succession, we decided to make it a bit less direct and more distinct (and no, it is not the horrible Ultimogeniture.:)) In short, among Nomads, the most prestigious son or brother inherits. Minors can inherit Clan rule, but not the tribal Khaganate. Prestige, you say? But isn't that a bit boring? Yes, the player should get some control over the choice of heir. That's why we are introducing the concept of Dynamic Mercenaries.

What you do, as a Nomad ruler, is send out your most promising sons and brothers to prove their mettle in the wide world. They will then take some of your Manpower and appear as a Mercenary Band, available for hire by rulers in the general region. As they earn money, the size of their regiment will increase. There are various new events for them as they experience adventures in the court of their employer, on distant battlefields, etc. You will receive notifications about the more significant escapades, and if you happen to be their employer, you are also likely to get some fascinating interactions. In general, dynamic mercenaries tend to increase their skills and gain Prestige, but it is, of course, also a dangerous life... The idea is to foster a strong heir by letting them prove their worth and gain enough Prestige to succeed you.

The system with dynamic mercenaries is currently locked to Nomads only, but it is very easy to mod and we are likely to expand on it in future expansions. That's all for now folks. Next week; the Silk Road and Raiding Adventurers!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oh boy Im getting really hyped about this expansion.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Plenty of newbies here asking which of the DLC are worth picking up, and I've seen the answers so just one follow up to them.

If Way of Life has nerfed Seduction and doesn't ruin the game, that's good.

I've no desire to play pre 1066 or as tribes, would Old Gods be a waste?

Is the Byzantine worth it just for retinues? That area does kinda interest me though, but I've never tried it.

In theory I don't mind trying a Muslim game but have no idea where to start with it.

Not sure about the others.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seduction has been given a slight nerf, or least the AI hasn't been using it so often, and Old Gods is playing Pagans like Norse, Tribals came in around Charlemagne

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Fat Turkey posted:

Plenty of newbies here asking which of the DLC are worth picking up, and I've seen the answers so just one follow up to them.

If Way of Life has nerfed Seduction and doesn't ruin the game, that's good.

I've no desire to play pre 1066 or as tribes, would Old Gods be a waste?

Is the Byzantine worth it just for retinues? That area does kinda interest me though, but I've never tried it.

In theory I don't mind trying a Muslim game but have no idea where to start with it.

Not sure about the others.

Way of Life is loving awesome. I can't imagine playing without it now.

If you don't want to play as nordic folk or early dates, Old Gods is a bit of a waste. Eventually you'll probably want it just to have them all, but until then concentrate on what you want to play now.

Retinues are still cool. They aren't game breaking, but they have their uses. As a megapower they are great to quickly win holy wars against tiny little neighbors you can crush. Park them outside, declare war, issue move command into their one county / main bordering county, crush their army which is half the size of your well planned retinue, win the siege, take on the next neighbor. I'm in the early stages of a Charlmagne bookmark Abbasid game and they were great for cleaning out the odd little christian one county states at the bottom of the map. 400 men? Meet my 2,500 camels.

Muslims? Try any of the big caliphates for a nice easy introduction. They have some cool CBs and interesting mechanics. I'm not sold on them yet, but so far I've had fun.

Charlmagne is a must if you are playing as the byzantines, just for the viceroys.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tributaries sound interesting - I take it from the pics in that dev diary that you can be suzerain over someone the same rank as you? If so, it actually sounds kind of like the English/Scottish conflicts of the era.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The dynamic mercenaries thing is really cool because it's actually quite evocative of the relationship that existed between nomads and their settled neighbors in the Middle-East. Sabuktigin (of the Ghaznavids) for instance, got his start this way.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Trip report on trade republics, things went really poorly the first run. I picked the republic next to Provence, forget what its called, mostly because the ruler was young which gave me time to get used to however succession works out. The Genoa guys kept attacking me but it was easy enough to fend them off. I didn't especially want to fight with them I just wanted to get tradeports into the best areas which someone mentioned are the ones with the most cities. At some point they got tired of being slapped down and ignored and called the HRE into a war with me, really early before I was making bank at all. 25k stack came over the hill and they wanted to destroy my best ports and I had no real way of defending myself. I had had good relations with the previous HRE emperor and I never noticed he died. Anyway I said to hell with this and decided to try it another time. Dealing with an enemy that can summon 40k of shitkickers just not working for me. I guess next time I'll make it my business to gently caress them right up. I think they raged out because I had the Rome tradeport and they wanted it but I'm not sure.

Decided to give Rurik another go for a bit, can you not have retinues if there are even troops? I figured it would be a decent investment since he starts with a 1000 gold.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One other thing is that republics and sons of Abraham go hand in hand. I played republics before I had retinues and it can be done, but republics are so dependent on them that you're missing out on so much if you don't have them. If you're going to buy republic, buy SoA too.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Volkerball posted:

One other thing is that republics and sons of Abraham go hand in hand. I played republics before I had retinues and it can be done, but republics are so dependent on them that you're missing out on so much if you don't have them. If you're going to buy republic, buy SoA too.

Retinues are Legacy of Rome, not Sons of Abraham

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

You meant Legacy of Rome, but for everything else you are spot on. One family palace upgrade chain gives you a hefty increase in your retinue cap, while the garrison upgrade of trade posts also raise the cap. That makes it feasible to have a huge retinue that dwarfs your levy troops. That's how a one province republic with a lot of trade posts can field armies of comparable size with big empires. You really, really need Legacy of Rome if you play republics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can use mercenaries too, but retinues are generally better since they have stat bonuses and more importantly allow you to stack a flank with one or two types of troops max - tactic choice is based on the composition of a flank, and stacking them like that guarantees that the commander will pick tactics that will boost the entire flank at once rather than buffing some of it and nerfing another bit of it. They also won't pick tactics that nerf the entire flank and benefit nobody - tactics that will only benefit troop types that aren't present in a flank will be removed from the table before choosing (except for the special "bad" tactics, which are generally a nerf to everyone, but only get picked by commanders with low martial or in flanks with no commander).

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I have legacy but it never got to that point for me, I had the HRE kicking my poo poo in within the first 20 years. I think it was just bad luck.

I've never really understood how the battles play out or how the interface for it works. I just stack men and split them if I think the attrition is going to kick in.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goofballs posted:

I have legacy but it never got to that point for me, I had the HRE kicking my poo poo in within the first 20 years. I think it was just bad luck.

I've never really understood how the battles play out or how the interface for it works. I just stack men and split them if I think the attrition is going to kick in.

This is basically the most you can do 95% of the time. Battles in CKII generally boil down to "more mans = win", with maybe terrain factors giving one side an edge if they're closely matched. You have very little control over your levy composition, especially when you call up vassal levies (which will be the bulk of your army in any large realm), so you can't really do much in the way of fine-tuning your army aside from assigning commanders with high martial skill.

The battles themselves are kind of complex but you don't really have any control over how they actually play out - tactics can potentially make a huge difference but in practice tend to cancel themselves out unless you specifically stack an army with retinues and a commander to take advantage of a particular cultural tactic. If you're interested you can read the wiki page on tactics, but honestly that information is far from necessary to do well in the game. At most what you can take away from it is that you really want to avoid using commanders with martial below 7, and traits like lisp, stutter, and craven are also bad (all stuff you could probably have guessed yourself anyway).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Goofballs posted:

If you have old gods you should try a Norse Germanic republic. They're stupid overpowered. I started a tutorial LP in the LP thread that I really need to continue sometime that shows the basics of what you'd need to do. A year or so ago I played a game as svipjod where I ended up loving with India and I've been in love with republics ever since. I still play feudal sometimes but republics are my go-to government.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah I do, my norse games tend to be relentless warfare which I enjoy. Might give it a shot next time

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's best if you convert to Hungarian culture. Then you get the invasion CB, plus all your viking mechanics. :getin:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can use mercenaries too, but retinues are generally better since they have stat bonuses and more importantly allow you to stack a flank with one or two types of troops max - tactic choice is based on the composition of a flank, and stacking them like that guarantees that the commander will pick tactics that will boost the entire flank at once rather than buffing some of it and nerfing another bit of it. They also won't pick tactics that nerf the entire flank and benefit nobody - tactics that will only benefit troop types that aren't present in a flank will be removed from the table before choosing (except for the special "bad" tactics, which are generally a nerf to everyone, but only get picked by commanders with low martial or in flanks with no commander).

How do you stack a flank with retinues? Any time I merge retinues into a larger force they can spread more or less evenly throughout the army.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Volkerball posted:

If you have old gods you should try a Norse Germanic republic. They're stupid overpowered. I started a tutorial LP in the LP thread that I really need to continue sometime that shows the basics of what you'd need to do. A year or so ago I played a game as svipjod where I ended up loving with India and I've been in love with republics ever since. I still play feudal sometimes but republics are my go-to government.

I'm doing something like this in the earliest stat date by being Venice and sending all my kids to be educated in Danmark. This is great because if they convert not only to paganism but Norse culture as well, they come home with names like Giovanni Giovannisson. As of the Viking era, no pagans will take my next generation but I have enough pagan kin to keep it up in-house. The first of the Venitian Norse Pagan generation has just been elected Prince Mayor, and the pope (my Prince Mayor's uncle) hates us. A pagan dynasty member is already the Godi of Rialto and conversion is well under way.

In other words, I'm now playing a viking Venice that's about to get it's poo poo pushed in by all of Christendom.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Avernus posted:

I'm doing something like this in the earliest stat date by being Venice and sending all my kids to be educated in Danmark. This is great because if they convert not only to paganism but Norse culture as well, they come home with names like Giovanni Giovannisson. As of the Viking era, no pagans will take my next generation but I have enough pagan kin to keep it up in-house. The first of the Venitian Norse Pagan generation has just been elected Prince Mayor, and the pope (my Prince Mayor's uncle) hates us. A pagan dynasty member is already the Godi of Rialto and conversion is well under way.

In other words, I'm now playing a viking Venice that's about to get it's poo poo pushed in by all of Christendom.

You have the most defensible position and highest income in all of Christendom.
Be careful when you war and you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

How do you stack a flank with retinues? Any time I merge retinues into a larger force they can spread more or less evenly throughout the army.
Don't have time to open up the game to screencap it, but you can move individual units around by clicking one of the upper right things when selecting units. It's by the "merge units" and "Split unit" buttons somewhere, and then fiddling with stuff.

• Locked thread