Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I disagree, this game is garbage and could never hook me with dumb 15v15 boring spam clusterfuck servers

We just need the unranked 5v5

:bang:

Its like no one knows there are more than two game modes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Kwilty posted:

The ones that aren't competitive are all really bad. Maybe if you could get XP for playing on community 5v5 servers but alas, valved again.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Antares posted:

The ones that aren't competitive are all really bad. Maybe if you could get XP for playing on community 5v5 servers but alas, valved again.

What's wrong with DM?

I mean speaking from a new person to the game, why would Demo and Arms Race not be entertaining enough to learn all the guns? Otherwise you're just bitching because, as Crain said, you didn't get grandfathered in.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
It's like you don't loving know that the xp returns in either game mode are poo poo at best and only get in the way of new people/people who were unable to play at the start of the operation, and that exploiters are able to get around the restriction in a way regular players can't thus negating the while point you are even arguing for. It's not a few hours like you're implying it is, it's several days worth of time that normal players shouldn't have to waste to get to the main meat of the game when there's already another restriction in place behind the first one

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Kwilty posted:

I was profile rank 6 when they instituted the limitation.. If you're interested in Actual Counterstrike you should probably just use the time to deathmatch, but new players should have a lower stress competitive gamemode to learn with, since newer players tend to get hung up on competitive rank way too much anyway, it would be useful all around.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Are the other game modes good or bad?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
By basing exp off of kills all the smurfs and cheaters are naturally going to be the first to level up and play matchmaking.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Deathmatch is bad and annoying but it's the best aim practice in the game unless you can get in a 1v1 game with no waiting (ie, 2 players in the server)

Arms race is gun game on dedicated maps and team spawns.. It's alright.

Demolition was a creative idea by Valve, where skill evens out a little bit because you start with a good gun and then get mediocre guns for a long time before getting a good gun again.. It's okay, I respect that they tried to be inventive, but it's not that amazing

Casual is the worst garbage and is everything that held this game back for years. Stupid clusterfuck pubs with 20+ players and people spamming 'bet ct all'. I never got very far into counterstrike until this year because of the 5v5 matchmaking

Competitive is good!

e: valve = the previous developers I think, since demolition has been around a while

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 16, 2015

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

demolition is fun

J
Jun 10, 2001

Xenaero posted:

It's cool that running and crouchspamming beats standing accuracy

Broken rear end game, you can't even fight it effectively

I loving hate this poo poo

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to play MM with friends but now I can't even do that as we all have to grind just to get to level 3 before we can play with each other.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The real good mode is playing bizarre jailbreak and minigame maps made by stupid teenagers

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

I just want to play MM with friends but now I can't even do that as we all have to grind just to get to level 3 before we can play with each other.

Try out a community competitive server, even though Valve -should - add casual competitive, that's only because most people don't know there's community competitive servers.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Kwilty posted:

What's wrong with DM?

I mean speaking from a new person to the game, why would Demo and Arms Race not be entertaining enough to learn all the guns? Otherwise you're just bitching because, as Crain said, you didn't get grandfathered in.

I was prestige rank 5 or whatever when this was implemented, but the other game modes in almost no way prepare a new player for competitive. Valve DM is probably tolerable if you're completely new but trains as many awful habits as good ones.

Demo is ok i guess, some of the maps are absolute trash though. Arms race is particularly stupid now with the built in wallhacks. Casual's rounds are still at least a minute too long, free vesthelm/defuser doesn't teach you to buy them, 10v10 has no bearing on 5v5, etc.

I never got into CS before GO because without something like MM you'd think the game is 15v15 Assault/Dust2 Only

Antares fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 16, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Kwilty posted:

What's wrong with DM?

I didn't start playing until sometime last year, and only started because I knew some guys that liked playing it a lot, and it was on sale. Arms Race was ok to get to try different guns that I wasn't buying, but the maps and how it plays are really kind of weird. Demo is a good idea, but tend to be a giant clusterfuck. DM is good to practice aim, but you're going to get killed from weird angles and spots all the time which is frustrating for a new person. Everyone pretty much agrees that casual is a clusterfuck.

Competitive is basically an entirely different game from the other modes, and all they really can give you is warm-up/messing around with other guns/learning basic map geometry. I'm not against needing some time to play competitive, just that currently it is tuned a bit high, or they could put back in some un-ranked comp so people are actually able to play 5v5 that isn't the weird tiny demolitions maps.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Kwilty posted:

What's wrong with DM?

With even a small amount of competence, they could program DM to spawn you facing toward an open area instead of a wall. Or program an algorithm to not spawn you directly in front of an enemy's crosshair.

They chose not to do this.

EDIT: I don't think I'm reinventing the wheel here. I can't count the number of games with a map editor that I've played with, which included an option to set spawn points with an initial facing direction. In casual and MM, you face toward the body of the map. Why didn't they do this with spawn points for DM?

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 17, 2015

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I haven't played cs in awhile but all I've ever wanted is a check box for MM to not match me against anyone with an account newer than a year old. There is no reason I should be forced to play against new accounts. Especially with how VAC bans in waves so cheaters get free reign to cheat for months. I imagine the number of cheaters that get away with cheating for over a year is pretty low.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Norton posted:

I haven't played cs in awhile but all I've ever wanted is a check box for MM to not match me against anyone with an account newer than a year old. There is no reason I should be forced to play against new accounts. Especially with how VAC bans in waves so cheaters get free reign to cheat for months. I imagine the number of cheaters that get away with cheating for over a year is pretty low.

I want a check box to exclude potheads. Drunks are fine.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

I want a check box to exclude potheads. Drunks are fine.

u just eliminated 90% of the user base other than children.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
There are some headshot only DM servers that are really fun. It forces you to aim which is pretty cool.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Norton posted:

u just eliminated 90% of the user base other than children.

I want a checkbox to exclude children. Drunks are fine.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

The Ferret King posted:

With even a small amount of competence, they could program DM to spawn you facing toward an open area instead of a wall. Or program an algorithm to not spawn you directly in front of an enemy's crosshair.

They chose not to do this.

EDIT: I don't think I'm reinventing the wheel here. I can't count the number of games with a map editor that I've played with, which included an option to set spawn points with an initial facing direction. In casual and MM, you face toward the body of the map. Why didn't they do this with spawn points for DM?

thanks for the laughs

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

The only way to fix DM is to make a mode that splits up the maps into set-pieces and pits people against each-other a la 1v1 mode but with faster re-spawns.

Otherwise you will always have [guy spawns behind you, shoots you in the head], [you spawn in front of a guy, he shoots you in the head, maybe while hes rounding a corner], [you are fighting a guy and another guy shoots you in the back of the head] over and over and over again. Even really good spawn points will not stop this

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
But why do the spawn points face walls?

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

The Ferret King posted:

But why do the spawn points face walls?

so its harder to use spawn protection to get kills, obviously

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sitting Bull posted:

so its harder to use spawn protection to get kills, obviously

Oh I see, that is obvious, thanks.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have 1700 hours in csgo, ask me anything about why I don't care about a 5 hour requirement for competitive matchmaking.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
There's no spawn protection and no-one spawns while in your field of view on most community DMs, but the alternative isn't THAT much better- instead they have a chance of spawning immediately after you turn away from any given area or even run away from where you just spawned. I've spawned on people's literal heels before, and with no spawn protection, it ends fairly predictably. I still prefer it to valve DM, but it's far from perfect.

I think the problem is mostly that the maps aren't really designed for the game mode, and that 20 slots is a bit much

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Complaining about casual is a nice break from complaining about MM.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

It's a nice easy target

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Casual's the worst and I hope they increase the rank requirement to like lvl10.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Casual's the worst and I hope they increase the rank requirement to like lvl10.

I'd be cool with that, if they fixed casual, even 14 or something would make some sense

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

e: Watching all of Dreamhack now that I have a few hours. Flusha is the weirdest looking person I've ever seen.

Xenaero posted:

It's cool that running and crouchspamming beats standing accuracy

Broken rear end game, you can't even fight it effectively

Care to extrapolate? I'm assuming you're referring to people crouching as soon as they see another player. Or does crouching+moving really not affect shot accuracy?

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 17, 2015

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Streaming my CEVO match I'm gonna suck they will probably poo poo on me, come watch http://twitch.tv/garfu

edit: done, we won I guess

Garfu fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Valve post on reporting outside of MM
http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3a0ujj/is_reporting_in_casualdm_worth_it/cs8o2t3

quote:

All reports against cheaters are helpful. You should always report a player if you suspect they are cheating, regardless of the game mode or context.

Also, we’ve noticed a lot of people talking about the criteria for a reported player entering Overwatch (e.g., “players need X reports in a day to enter Overwatch”). So far, none of these descriptions have been accurate. While we won’t reveal our process here, we can say that we do not rely on simple thresholds or easily-bypassed time windows.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Well, I'm in hell

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Smol posted:

Is it possible to queue as a 10 stack to a casual game?

There must be, the other day I joined a casual game and literally everyone on both teams was doing stuff like "okay this round only tasers! this round only deagles!" and actually immediately kicking people if they didn't. It was actually pretty chill.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I disagree, this game is garbage and could never hook me with dumb 15v15 boring spam clusterfuck servers

We just need the unranked 5v5

At this point I'd take casual as it is but like 7v7 or even 8v8. My nostalgia for old cs clusterfucks exists but as it currently is its mostly awful.

Also I loved gungame in source and there are a few decent go servers, but despite adopting it valve has completely forgotten about it except for missions and their maps mostly suck

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

The tip to not caring about spawns in DM is to stop caring about dying or your score in DM. Who gives a poo poo, the point is to practice your aim and you literally instantly respawn. Turn on some music and frag.

Also iirc Valve DM has spawn protection, meaning as long as you don't move you can spin your mouse around and you'll still be invincible for X seconds. So if you know that, it's almost impossible to get instakilled when you spawn.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I know people have mixed feeling about the 3kliksphilip remix of nuke but the suggestion about moving both teams' spawns forward would singlehandedly make the map about 10000x better in all game modes, especially DM.

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Are the other game modes good or bad?

DM is great but it depends on the map, some of them kinda suck for DM.

Demolition... eh you probably won't play it long, it can be fun every now and then.

Arms Race is really mediocre because they added built-in wallhacks so everyone can see you if you're the top of your team. Really stupid, otherwise fun gamemode. You can use the knife to avoid showing where you are (I think). You also can't play it with the normal maps which is really weird.

Casual is alright now that rounds are shorter but I think it would be better if you had to buy armour and if the teams were a bit smaller. It really shines if everyone on the server is talking poo poo, otherwise its a bit boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Valve DM would be so much better if everyone in it didn't try to get as many cheap kills as possible by abusing spawn protection.

• Locked thread