Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Thoguh posted:

I was trying to find the start date for fall camps and got distracted when I saw that UNC-Charlotte is moving up to FBS this season and joining Conference USA. So I took a second to look at the current Conference USA membership.

UAB
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
Middle Tennessee State
UNC-Charlotte
North Texas
Old Dominion
Rice
Southern Miss
UT El Paso
UT San Antonio
Western Kentucky

Why the hell are any of these schools, except maybe Rice and Southern Miss, even in FBS?

Marshall's been pretty legit a few times, and manages to bring in some good talent thanks to their academic standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I hope this never fizzles out:

(That's Dan @ Mississippi State)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thoguh posted:

I was trying to find the start date for fall camps and got distracted when I saw that UNC-Charlotte is moving up to FBS this season and joining Conference USA. So I took a second to look at the current Conference USA membership.

UAB
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
Middle Tennessee State
UNC-Charlotte
North Texas
Old Dominion
Rice
Southern Miss
UT El Paso
UT San Antonio
Western Kentucky

Why the hell are any of these schools, except maybe Rice and Southern Miss, even in FBS?

C-USA was really good and competitive last year outside of like FAU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Marshall won like 11 games
Western Kentucky had a pretty drat good offense
UAB hung in with Miss State longer than anyone was comfortable with and almost upset Marshall (and should have gone to a bowl)
Rice is fine
Southern Miss was dogshit but slightly less dogshit than previously and should actually be a decent program most years.
I don't know much about the rest but the conference racked up major wins during bowl season.

Overall it's above the MAC and Sunbelt by far and probably slightly overpowered by the Mountain West. It's a fun conference where tickets and beer at games are cheap, the tv contracts are good and a huge boon to members, and they're all too good for the most part now to participate in FCS.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Thoguh posted:

UAB
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
Middle Tennessee State
UNC-Charlotte
North Texas
Old Dominion
Rice
Southern Miss
UT El Paso
UT San Antonio
Western Kentucky

Tulane got out just in time.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I hope this never fizzles out:

(That's Dan @ Mississippi State)

Hopefully Mullen never wants a kid from Michigan.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Louisiana Tech has had legit years, and they produced Terry Bradshaw (and unfortunately, Phil Robertson)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raku posted:

Marshall won like 11 games
Western Kentucky had a pretty drat good offense
UAB hung in with Miss State longer than anyone was comfortable with and almost upset Marshall (and should have gone to a bowl)
Rice is fine
Southern Miss was dogshit but slightly less dogshit than previously and should actually be a decent program most years.
I don't know much about the rest but the conference racked up major wins during bowl season.

Overall it's above the MAC and Sunbelt by far and probably slightly overpowered by the Mountain West. It's a fun conference where tickets and beer at games are cheap, the tv contracts are good and a huge boon to members, and they're all too good for the most part now to participate in FCS.

None of them are remotely self sufficient, here's USA Today's numbers for Conference USA, which are from 2013-14 so don't include the most recent round of conference changes.

School-Conference-Total Revenue-Total Expenses -Total Subsidy-Percent Subsidy

They are all highly dependent on subsidies to survive. And conferences like this are trying to go along with full cost of attendance and otherwise leveraging themselves in an attempt to keep up with the P5 conferences. It isn't sustainable. And those numbers are pretty much in line with most schools from the MAC, AAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 16, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Thoguh posted:

None of them are remotely self sufficient, here's USA Today's numbers for Conference USA, which are from 2013-14 so don't include the most recent round of conference changes.

They are all highly dependent on subsidies to survive. And conferences like this are trying to go along with full cost of attendance and otherwise leveraging themselves in an attempt to keep up with the P5 conferences. It isn't sustainable. And those numbers are pretty much in line with most schools from the MAC, AAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt.

Note that there are like 25 FBS programs above the lowest revenue C-USA program on that list.

Also who the gently caress cares, UAB makes something like twice as much money as Alabama as a university (Alabama is actually a leech in the UA system) so it's not like they can't afford it. If we're going to look at college athletics as a business only 10 teams are going to survive.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Korranus posted:

Louisiana Tech has had legit years, and they produced Terry Bradshaw (and unfortunately, Phil Robertson)

We had Troy Edwards and Tim Rattay also who were dynamite at least in college.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Hopefully Mullen never wants a kid from Michigan.

I seriously doubt they even bother recruiting it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Michigan produces some pretty good college talent though vOv

Not Florida levels but still pretty good. Also Michigan State's Cotton Bowl rings are in

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Not Florida levels but still pretty good. Also Michigan State's Cotton Bowl rings are in

But they didn't win the crystal ball..

and also, the Harris ranking?????

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Not enough for a team from Mississippi to waste a significant amount of time/effort trying to fight Michigan and OSU for it, given how much closer they are to states with way more of it. They've probably offered someone from up there at some point but I doubt it happens often enough that Mullen really cares about alienating the state with some off hand comment no one is going to read or remember anyway.

laffo did they seriously put their harris ranking on a ring

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Thoguh posted:

UAB
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Louisiana Tech
Marshall
Middle Tennessee State
UNC-Charlotte
North Texas
Old Dominion
Rice
Southern Miss
UT El Paso
UT San Antonio
Western Kentucky

Aren't half of these pretty big schools anyway?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ahahaha why Harris, why not AP, they got the exact same rank there and AP is a more widely used poll

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Regnevelc posted:

the Harris ranking?????

It's linebacker Darien Harris' ring.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Personally, my biggest takeaway from the UAB thing was these athletic departments basically use Hollywood accounting to show however much of a loss (or gain) they want. As long as students stay willing to pay fees marked as subsidies, they may as well be a line item in a marketing budget

Signed, someone who paid $150 per semester to help subsidize an 0-11 team a decade ago.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 16, 2015

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

You're truly a saint. I wasn't around yet for the 0-11 season, but I'm the most negative (justified or not) fan I know anyway.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Honestly it's a pretty good deal. You pay a tiny percent more on your already heinous and unjustifiable tuition bill, a bunch of poorer kids with different talents than you get a degree and kill each other for your enjoyment.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Boyd is really good, but I am contractually obligated to point out that Leonte Carroo is criminally underrated and is holy poo poo good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

C-USA is better than other mid-majors, like the AAC or the Big ten

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

MourningView posted:

Not enough for a team from Mississippi to waste a significant amount of time/effort trying to fight Michigan and OSU for it, given how much closer they are to states with way more of it. They've probably offered someone from up there at some point but I doubt it happens often enough that Mullen really cares about alienating the state with some off hand comment no one is going to read or remember anyway.

laffo did they seriously put their harris ranking on a ring

Oh no I agree that it's certainly not a huge loss for them, just that Michigan isn't some football wasteland as fat as talent goes

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Alouicious posted:

C-USA is better than other mid-majors, like the AAC or the Big ten

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Oh no I agree that it's certainly not a huge loss for them, just that Michigan isn't some football wasteland as fat as talent goes

True, Mississippi is like fattie heaven, though.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

JRizzle posted:

Aren't half of these pretty big schools anyway?

Middle Tennessee State is larger in terms of student population than UT-Knoxville.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

University of Phoenix has like a billion students but that doesn't mean they should have footballs

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Mike Miller‏@MikeMillerHT
Indiana safety Antonio Allen is in Monroe County Jail on charges of dealing Meth, Heroin, Cocaine, along with possession charges. #iufb

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Mike Miller‏@MikeMillerHT
Indiana safety Antonio Allen is in Monroe County Jail on charges of dealing Meth, Heroin, Cocaine, along with possession charges. #iufb

These things are illegal in Indiana? The more you know...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

These things are illegal in Indiana? The more you know...

Your allowed to deal Meth but all three is to much.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Indiana has a very clear license system set up, you get one of the three. Triple dipping is just greedy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Well not yet anyway.

But anyway yeah it's fine by Midwest standards. Iowa recruits the Detroit area a bunch with occasional success.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Carl Davis!

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Yeah if you spread the subsidy out over 25K+ students it's not bad.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Early signing period tabled for the year by the whoever it is that votes on that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Early signing period tabled for the year by the whoever it is that votes on that.

I don't see how this won't pass once it actually gets up for a boat.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don't see how this won't pass once it actually gets up for a boat.

I don't see how it will accomplish anything except making the exact same NSD stuff happen earlier.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
With coaches recruiting middle schoolers I don't understand why they need early signing periods at all

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raku posted:

Honestly it's a pretty good deal. You pay a tiny percent more on your already heinous and unjustifiable tuition bill, a bunch of poorer kids with different talents than you get a degree and kill each other for your enjoyment.

I wasn't suggesting they drop football. All football is good football. I was suggesting that most of the schools in Conference USA and the Sun Belt (plus some from the AAC and MAC) should drop from FBS to FCS (in many cases just going back to where they were a few years ago). Right now they're reaching in order to say they are FBS. But they require huge subsidies and their attendance numbers are generally around or below 20k (FIU is especially bad, at 11k). Here's last years numbers on average attendance from the NCAA.

UAB - 21k
Florida Atlantic - 14k
Florida International - 11k
Louisiana Tech - 20k
Marshall - 27k
Middle Tennessee State - 17k
UNC-Charlotte - 13k
North Texas - 19k
Old Dominion - 20k
Rice - 19k
Southern Miss - 23k
UT El Paso - 28k
UT San Antonio - 28k
Western Kentucky - 16k

Hell, just actually enforcing the 15k attendance minimum for FBS (which I think should be more like 20 or 25k) would go a long way towards cleaning up the schools that are reaching despite having a much more FCS level of fanbase and funds. Plus then they actually play in a regional conference and can develop actual rivalries and other things that make football fun instead of just jumping around and playing a different set of schools from a thousand miles away every season.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Thoguh posted:

I wasn't suggesting they drop football. All football is good football. I was suggesting that most of the schools in Conference USA and the Sun Belt (plus some from the AAC and MAC) should drop from FBS to FCS (in many cases just going back to where they were a few years ago). Right now they're reaching in order to say they are FBS. But they require huge subsidies and their attendance numbers are generally around or below 20k (FIU is especially bad, at 11k). Here's last years numbers on average attendance from the NCAA.

UAB - 21k
Florida Atlantic - 14k
Florida International - 11k
Louisiana Tech - 20k
Marshall - 27k
Middle Tennessee State - 17k
UNC-Charlotte - 13k
North Texas - 19k
Old Dominion - 20k
Rice - 19k
Southern Miss - 23k
UT El Paso - 28k
UT San Antonio - 28k
Western Kentucky - 16k

Hell, just actually enforcing the 15k attendance minimum for FBS (which I think should be more like 20 or 25k) would go a long way towards cleaning up the schools that are reaching despite having a much more FCS level of fanbase and funds. Plus then they actually play in a regional conference and can develop actual rivalries and other things that make football fun instead of just jumping around and playing a different set of schools from a thousand miles away every season.

FCS football isn't regularly broadcast therefore we need as many FBS teams as possible :colbert:

• Locked thread