Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also japanese promotions always protect talent from other promotions because they're professionals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why do wrestlers hate Vampiro?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Smoking Crow posted:

Jericho hates him because he took every opportunity to run him down behind his back to anyone with power who would listen to him while being nice to his face.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

natetimm posted:

Jericho hates him because he took every opportunity to run him down behind his back to anyone with power who would listen to him while being nice to his face.

lol chris jericho has no leg to stand on

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

epitasis posted:

also japanese promotions always protect talent from other promotions because they're professionals

you're talking about the same promotion that booked the UWFi guys to be complete jobbers and accelerated the death of that promotion

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Smoking Crow posted:

From what I remember he came in to WCW thinking he was a huge star (on account of being pretty drat popular in Mexico) and that rubbed people the wrong way.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
he's also actually pretty bad at wrestling

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Someone just mentioned the Uso's in another thread, and I realized I haven't seen them in a while. What's going on with J&J?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HogX posted:

Someone just mentioned the Uso's in another thread, and I realized I haven't seen them in a while. What's going on with J&J?

One of them is injured. The other appears on superstars from time to time, but they aren't gonna give him anything with a narrative attached to it.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

MrBling posted:

From what I remember he came into WCW thinking he was a huge star (on account of being pretty drat popular in Mexico) and that rubbed people the wrong way.

That's the story I've always heard, but can anyone explain why Vampiro's so popular in Mexico?

Is it the faux-Misfits facepaint, or is he amazing in the ring everywhere outside of America? The WCW matches I've seen of his have all been terrible to below average, and the latter ones were only saved by more competent wrestlers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Vampiro slowly devolving into a white cholo gimmick is one of the funniest subtle character arcs in Lucha Underground

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ecavalli posted:

That's the story I've always heard, but can anyone explain why Vampiro's so popular in Mexico?

Is it the faux-Misfits facepaint, or is he amazing in the ring everywhere outside of America? The WCW matches I've seen of his have all been terrible to below average, and the latter ones were only saved by more competent wrestlers.

He's been working Mexico since the early 90s, mostly CMLL and AAA.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

oatgan posted:

lol chris jericho has no leg to stand on

Did Jericho do the same? I thought he was pretty well regarded all around?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ecavalli posted:

No, he sucks everywhere. However, he was super over in Mexico in the early-mid 90s as some sort of heartthrob/rockstar face

no, that isn't a joke.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The only thing about Jericho that I know of is that he's become Mr. WWE Company Line in terms of his opinion (or lack thereof) on anything, to the point that we're now at "asking interesting questions to guests isn't my style" and starting a bunch of podcasts with small tantrums after everyone put 2 and 2 together when they got rid of Austin interviews on the network.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Smoking Crow posted:

But what if you're like me and didn't watch wrestling until 2013? I had zero idea who he and Johnny Mundo were and why I should care about them.

Because lovely writing. When an actor you know is in a movie/tv/stage whatever they don't need to take a second and be like "remember, I was in the avengers, wink" when I'm just trying to watch my stupid train movie.
It's bad writing, crappy storytelling, and it hamstrings any new angle they are trying because once you break that fourth wall all that lovely baggage comes with.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Trollologist posted:

Because lovely writing. When an actor you know is in a movie/tv/stage whatever they don't need to take a second and be like "remember, I was in the avengers, wink" when I'm just trying to watch my stupid train movie.
It's bad writing, crappy storytelling, and it hamstrings any new angle they are trying because once you break that fourth wall all that lovely baggage comes with.

That being said, it's meant to reward hardcore fans and doesn't REALLY ruin things for a casual observer when done well. You know Alberto is a big deal because the show tells you a big deal and immediately shows off that he's a big deal in this world. You don't have to understand the "but you already knew that" or "smack a caterer" jokes to understand that Mundo is a jealous baby.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Did Orton invent his headlock backbreaker move? I'd never seen that before he did it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mike Sanders did it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

Mike Sanders did it

Yeah but his version was only above average.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I was wondering this when PTP won the tag titles last night -- is Darren Young the first openly gay wrestler to hold a title in WWE? I was under the impression that Pat Patterson didn't come out until long after he retired, but I could be wrong there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

I was wondering this when PTP won the tag titles last night -- is Darren Young the first openly gay wrestler to hold a title in WWE? I was under the impression that Pat Patterson didn't come out until long after he retired, but I could be wrong there.

I don't think Patterson publicly came out until he was on Legend's House.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I don't think Patterson publicly came out until he was on Legend's House.

Patterson was publicly closeted until somewhere between joining the office in the 1980s and the early 90s sex scandal. He was out among friends and in the business in the 70s. In a podcast with Austin he says Roy Shire wasn't sure about bringing him into San Francisco because he was gay and he promised he would never get the promotion in trouble.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
But the media and people outside the company/business didn't know until Legends House. And no matter what he wasn't out while he was a champion.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, apparently Pat was out in the locker room and stuff, but WWE never publicly acknowledged it in or out of kayfabe until Legends House.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Benne posted:

Yeah, apparently Pat was out in the locker room and stuff, but WWE never publicly acknowledged it in or out of kayfabe until Legends House.

JR and Lawler used to make jokes about it all the time during the Attitude Era

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I guess that does answer my question, though -- Pat was technically out, but never got the kind of publicity Darren Young did when he came out. And Darren definitely didn't get the kind of snide announcer jokes Pat did -- they were very aware this was a potential good PR moment.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

That being said, it's meant to reward hardcore fans and doesn't REALLY ruin things for a casual observer when done well. You know Alberto is a big deal because the show tells you a big deal and immediately shows off that he's a big deal in this world. You don't have to understand the "but you already knew that" or "smack a caterer" jokes to understand that Mundo is a jealous baby.

Did it happen fairly quickly?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Corporate Kane posted:

JR and Lawler used to make jokes about it all the time during the Attitude Era
I don't remember any of those jokes; I probably wasn't smart enough to notice at the time. But I bet whatever they had to say was more tasteful than comments about the Terry Garvin School of Self-Defense.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 16, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Does chilly Willy from ecw still wrestle?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bigass Moth posted:

Nope - http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=245&page=4

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't remember any of those jokes; I probably wasn't smart enough to notice at the time.

Patterson was the target of a lot of ribs about his sexuality, not even just on commentary. Really nasty stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DynamiteKidd posted:

But the media and people outside the company/business didn't know until Legends House. And no matter what he wasn't out while he was a champion.

Pat Patterson's sexuality was the subject of national talk shows in the early 90s and newspaper articles in the 80s. We was very out.

Benne posted:

I guess that does answer my question, though -- Pat was technically out, but never got the kind of publicity Darren Young did when he came out. And Darren definitely didn't get the kind of snide announcer jokes Pat did -- they were very aware this was a potential good PR moment.

He actually got way, way more publicity than Darren Young.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't remember any of those jokes; I probably wasn't smart enough to notice at the time.

The one that sticks out to me was during one of the matches during the stooge era, maybe when he tore off his shirt hogan style, JR said "remember fellas, he's single."
I missed it the first time too, but watching that clip as an adult makes me wonder how my mind glossed completely over it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the ads they ran for the Briscoe Brothers Body shop when Patterson and Briscoe were Vince's henchman, and JR said something like "I hear they give rear end jobs"

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

I was sure he was dead. According to wikipedia, he was just wounded. Purple heart and everything. And he trains people for MMA now.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

EugeneJ posted:

I remember the ads they ran for the Briscoe Brothers Body shop when Patterson and Briscoe were Vince's henchman, and JR said something like "I hear they give rear end jobs"

"Patterson handles the rear end work"

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Why's the NXT thread locked?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

About 1 post in every 50 was actually about NXT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
bad posters couldn't get out of developmental, had to cut em