Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

I never use GChat but have been using Hangouts on my Nexus 5 for SMS / MMS since I've had the phone. I just learned that Google has an app called Messenger that is more SMS centric.... should I make the jump?

If you literally never use hangouts as a message type in the Hangouts app, then sure why not I guess. Hangouts as an app combines and works fine for me these days so I'm not sure why you wouldn't use that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's kind of tempting, but an LG G3 is too big for me, so I'm concerned the 2014 X would be as well. It's not a tight pants thing, it's a pockets are 6" deep thing.

Depends. The Moto X is 6mm shorter than the LG G3.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/LG-G3,Motorola-Moto-X-2014/phones/8347,8897

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would there be any brick and mortars still carrying the 2014 Moto X, then? I definitely don't want to shell out $350 and then have to send that back as well.

Also these jerks gave me a refurbished phone when it was advertised as new. I'm going to go through the returns process, be really nice about it, and then at least give a lovely review. Is there a thing to tell Amazon when sellers are selling a refurbished item as new?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would there be any brick and mortars still carrying the 2014 Moto X, then?

Best Buys near me seem to have them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I'll take a look. I was there yesterday and didn't see any, but I didn't have a chance to scour the entire section. I need to take a lovely FM transmitter back anyway.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

Wife got 5.1.1 and I was able to disable those options in the pulldown.

I can confirm the T-Mobile version allows their removal through the pull down edit screen.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What is the user experience like with a note 3? And is $240 a good price for one?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you literally never use hangouts as a message type in the Hangouts app, then sure why not I guess. Hangouts as an app combines and works fine for me these days so I'm not sure why you wouldn't use that?

Hangouts works fine for me, in general (It wont send photos from my phone for some reason), but all of my messages appear to double-send on my device. No one I send messages to complains about double-messages, I just see it that way. Very strange. I tend to think its Sprint's google voice integration getting all wonky. Is this a common issue that there's a fix for?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SlayVus posted:

What is the user experience like with a note 3? And is $240 a good price for one?

It's Touchwiz so take that as you will. Some treat it as a devil Hitler while others can operate the device fine and not think twice about it. I haven't played with one with Lollipop but for under $300 they're solid devices with great battery life and excellent cameras.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hmmmmm

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/saygus-v-squared#/story

Can it be worse than oneplusone?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

kensei posted:

It can and it will.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

It can and it will.

TOP DISRUPTIVE INNOVATION CES 2015 ~ Forbes

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/06/15/saygus-delays-the-v-squared-yet-again-launches-mega-suspicious-indiegogo-campaign/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Hell yeah, we can finally argue which is better: one MicroSD slot or two.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

kensei posted:

Why don't you/others like the OnePlus One? It seems like the worst things you can say about it are that either CyanogenOS is too rich in customizations for the average user, or that OxygenOS is too stock, but neither of those are particularly unusual complaints in the market. I wouldn't recommend it for my mom but it seems like a great option for the kind of people that would post in a forum named "Inspect Your Gadgets." That Saygus thing is stupid as hell though.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alereon posted:

Why don't you/others like the OnePlus One? It seems like the worst things you can say about it are that either CyanogenOS is too rich in customizations for the average user, or that OxygenOS is too stock, but neither of those are particularly unusual complaints in the market. I wouldn't recommend it for my mom but it seems like a great option for the kind of people that would post in a forum named "Inspect Your Gadgets." That Saygus thing is stupid as hell though.

I think some people had trouble getting RMAs processed or they were slow. Other people had some odd yellowing going on with the displays. Additionally I think people were turned off by the initial "you need an invite" thing. Personally I think the one plus one is a great phone and the couple people I know in real life that have them think they are great so who knows.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Alereon posted:

Most of what I know about the OPO is probably tainted by their silly and questionable marketing and the RMA issues.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Alereon posted:

Generally speaking its the fact that they've demonstrated that, as a company, they are not very good. RMA issues, dumb misogynistic promotions, etc.

Couple that with the fact that many (most?) people here find that Cyanogen isn't very good. Not in the sense that it is too rich in customizations or whatever, but in the sense that they are actively bad at developing and supporting software. As an example, this is at least the second time they've broken 911 dialing and that's just a sampling of the shenanigans that come out of Cyanogen.

Now, of course, you could make the argument that pretty much all OEMs have been pretty lovely at some point or the other about developing and supporting their software and that's a pretty valid argument. The problem many have with the OnePlus One stems from the crappy company, coupled with the crappy software, coupled with the fact that there's lots of other good choices out there for Android devices.

I mean lots of people don't care about that stuff and the device is OK at the price. But, to be honest, there's other devices that are pretty good at that price as well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Alereon posted:

Why is the Saygus thing stupid? Almost any complaint about it likely applies to the OPO too (unproven manufacturer, questionable to bad hardware quality [like the yellow screen issue], questionable to awful customer support), except the Saygus runs stock Android instead of Cyanogenmod, which is a positive.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RVProfootballer posted:

Why is the Saygus thing stupid? Almost any complaint about it likely applies to the OPO too (unproven manufacturer, questionable to bad hardware quality [like the yellow screen issue], questionable to awful customer support), except the Saygus runs stock Android instead of Cyanogenmod, which is a positive.

They started an indiegogo campaign to raise $150,000 and instead of putting the goal at $150,000 they put the goal at $1,000,000 and put in $850,000 of their own money.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

uPen posted:

They started an indiegogo campaign to raise $150,000 and instead of putting the goal at $150,000 they put the goal at $1,000,000 and put in $850,000 of their own money.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I think they're both dumb, and my post was pointing out the problems with both for someone that though OPO was great and Saygus dumb, not trying to prop up Saygus as good. Though if Saygus handles RMA stuff better than OPO, I'd give them the edge there, regardless of indiegogo campaign shadiness!

E: Dammit, how did I forget about all the OPO promo and ordering poo poo? Yeah, that indiegogo thing doesn't even register in comparison haha.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 16, 2015

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Anyone else experiencing Fit battery drain?

Starting 2 days ago, my Z2 ( 5.0.2 ) which would normally has 18-24 hours battery life, is now draining in less than 6 hours. The culprit is Google Fit by a 20% margin, but no amount of cache clearing/app re-installing/device rebooting has stopped it. I could disable it when the screen is off (stamina mode) but I've never had an issue with it before and generally want it on to track me.

I'm not sure if the app itself was updated 2 days ago but I don't think so because it's not in the "recently updated" section.

It's just weird because I haven't done anything specific with Fit, so I don't know why all of a sudden it's draining battery.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Alereon posted:

I had one for two weeks. It was very buggy and IMO not worth the ~$50 you save compared to a preowned Z2, or the better battery/camera compared to a Nexus 5.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since this seems to be the go-to thread for Google things, is it no longer possible to view a panorama/photosphere in that mode at the photos website?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

I'd give this phone as fair of a chance as I would any other.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

hooah posted:

Since this seems to be the go-to thread for Google things, is it no longer possible to view a panorama/photosphere in that mode at the photos website?

I think you can still use Google+ to view photospheres, but one I took last week I ended up posting to Google Maps Views to share publicly. This requires you to submit it to be potentially publicly viewable on Google Maps at a location with your name associated with it. I didn't care about that, since it was at Niagara Falls, but if you care about privacy for a photosphere, that is not the route to go.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, Best Buy had a Moto X 2014, but they wouldn't let me test putting it in my pocket and sitting down. I might just buy one and send it back if it doesn't work out. At least this one they won't send a refurbished as a new.

Should I be considering a Z1 compact at all?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, Best Buy had a Moto X 2014, but they wouldn't let me test putting it in my pocket and sitting down.

Wait. Really?

Why would they?

The 2014 should be fine, it's not like it's a Nexus 6. If you want something smaller, try the Z1 Compact as you said.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was hoping they would have a dummy phone or something, I've seen store managers giving away dummy phones as kid's toys. All I could do is compare them against my phone and my fiancee's G3.

The 2013 seemed like it might be near the largest that will work.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was hoping they would have a dummy phone or something, I've seen store managers giving away dummy phones as kid's toys. All I could do is compare them against my phone and my fiancee's G3.

The 2013 seemed like it might be near the largest that will work.

Just bring in a cardboard box and make a cutout, duh.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait. Really?

Why would they?

Because their other option is to get you to buy the phone, walk around with it for 2 weeks and then get a full refund for it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, Best Buy had a Moto X 2014, but they wouldn't let me test putting it in my pocket and sitting down. I might just buy one and send it back if it doesn't work out. At least this one they won't send a refurbished as a new.

Have you considered cutting out a cardboard version and testing it

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What brand jorts?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

uPen posted:

Because their other option is to get you to buy the phone, walk around with it for 2 weeks and then get a full refund for it.

I'm sure that's preferred over someone just outright bolting for the door. It may seem weird but I've seen people steal dummy phones and poo poo like that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If the X 2014 is too bulky for you there may truly not be a smartphone small enough.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm sure that's preferred over someone just outright bolting for the door. It may seem weird but I've seen people steal dummy phones and poo poo like that.

You could possibly sell a dummy phone to an idiot for real phone prices.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 17, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlayVus posted:

You could possibly sell a dummy phone to an idiot fit real phone prices.

Happens in Shenzhen all the time.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Google Services seems to hosed once again. Drains the battery on my Nexus 6 like crazy since yesterday, where I couldn't make it through the day (despite charging for short bursts in my car) and at this rate it seems that today I won't even make it until late afternoon. That thing is breaking an awful lot :(

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Looks like Samsung's got a nasty issue going on here. An exploit allowing basically full system access via an MitM-attack through a security vulnerability in the keyboard, with over 600 million devices possibly affected.

There are more details here including a list of potentially affected devices.

I'm fairly sure my old S3 Mini also uses the same Samsung keyboard, but it's not listed so either I'm wrong or it doesn't affect that version(or it's just too old to even care about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So Samsung S6 Active looks pretty good specs-wise, and despite looking awful, I'm seriously considering buying one. Basically it should be an S6 in a less fragile package and an extra 1000mAh battery capacity to last through a day easily. Am I missing anything here?