Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Hey, those worked great.

I don't really want to think about what's going on behind the scenes here, because:
  • game resolution is 1920x1080, 16:9
  • original Shadowplay video is 1280x1024, 5:4
  • Youtube offers a 1080p/60 video option, which is nice, except:
  • Youtube's download MP4 button gives me a 1066x720, "not quite 3:2" video, which is also nowhere near 1080p

when I play the game everything looks fine and that's what matters, but this whole situation is mindboggling. Third party res hacks of 2005-era gaming, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I like to set up my laptop as an audio sound server so I can control two mic sources independently in the same room. I'm getting tired of using analog outputs and inputs mostly because I tend to get a lot of line noise - I purchased a relatively high quality 3.5 mm audio cable with the hope of eliminating a lot of this noise, but I think I'll ultimately have to go with a completely digital solution, with that in mind... Does anyone know of a device that can make a USB audio interface between two computers, ideally using USB 3.0? I want to do this so I can stream using the same setup with minimal audio degradation going to the stream viewers. My current setup looks like this (forgive the lovely mspaints):

I can stream with this setup (below), but there will be two sources of noise, the USB headsets themselves, and the 3.5 mm connection to the streaming computer. I might test to see how this sounds anyway, but I can already imagine it won't be great:

My desired solution (quantity of USB connections isn't entirely relevant, or even quantity of devices used):

Anybody have a clue of what kind of device I'm looking for, or even recommendations on a device?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How about using a small desk mixer instead? Run the game audio from PC 1 and voice audio from PC 2 to the mixer, then send the output back to one PC from the main output and to some speakers using the control room or headphone output.

If it wasn't because you already had invested in USB microphones I'd also suggest just using a regular semi-pro microphone that connects via XLR to the mixer, then you could completely skip the second computer.

Alternatively, some USB audio interfaces also in the semi-pro/prosumer category have both digital inputs and outputs (S/PDIF usually via RCA-Coax cables, less often optical). You could also use that for audio transfer, but I'd say that gets into the silly overengineering range.
The big disadvantage of digital audio transfer between the systems, whether it's via USB or LAN or something else, is that it tends to introduce latency in the audio, although it probably won't be enough to matter for voice over a game stream.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Thanks for the reply. I can drop the usb headsets, but I'd rather capture voices on separate streams anyway so I can have better control over the end product (currently I capture one voice as the left audio track, and the second voice on the right audio track).

You just mentioned audio over a lan - we have a gigabit connection between both the computers, and I know JACK supports audio over a lan. I might take a look at that. I'm just surprised there's no such thing as a 'usb audio cable', or if there is, its impossible to find (isn't a USB headset technically a USB audio cable?!).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The application of transferring live audio between two USB hosts (computers) is so limited there probably isn't a market. A USB audio interface with digital in/out for each computer is the straightforward solution at that end.

As for JACK, I don't know, it could probably work. Last I checked was many years ago, and it had poor Windows support then. Network speed isn't really an issue, regular CD audio is 1.4 Mbit/s, you could run hundreds of high quality streams over gigabit Ethernet, the real issue is latency and jitter from the software and hardware involved. (You reduce problems from jitter by increasing buffer sizes, but that also raises latency.)

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

nielsm posted:

The application of transferring live audio between two USB hosts (computers) is so limited there probably isn't a market. A USB audio interface with digital in/out for each computer is the straightforward solution at that end.

Okay :)

I might try doing something ridiculous with the network streaming, mostly because that only really costs time. I might also try just go with the analog cables, it might not be so bad provided I control the gain precisely. What's interesting is that my laptop has almost no noise going through the headphone outlet (had to pump up the gain a ton in order to notice any noise) to the mic inlet of another computer, so it may be the case that going analog should have no problems, come to think of it. Hopefully having higher quality 3.5mm audio cables will also help, as I'm almost certain I don't have a ground loop issue.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Have you considered using one of the multitude of video streaming solutions to stream both game video and audio to the host computer and just grabbing the audio from that stream? Most of those solutions would probably also let you replace the video with black so you don't have much drain on bandwidth.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Nidoking posted:

Have you considered using one of the multitude of video streaming solutions to stream both game video and audio to the host computer and just grabbing the audio from that stream? Most of those solutions would probably also let you replace the video with black so you don't have much drain on bandwidth.

I'm sorry, I'm trying to understand what you're saying. I'm going to try to interpret this in crappy mspaint form:

Does this seem right to you? Its doable.

e: Forgive the bad grammar. I slapped that together in two minutes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There are a lot of utilities for video streaming and not as many that I know of for just audio streaming. So I figured, why not just stream video along with the audio and just not use it?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Nidoking posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There are a lot of utilities for video streaming and not as many that I know of for just audio streaming. So I figured, why not just stream video along with the audio and just not use it?

That's a good idea because it lets one computer have almost full reign on the audio. The only potential snag I see is that I have to give JACK real time priority so the usb audio sounds good, but its a viable option and something I can do without special software (I think VLC can do it, as a matter of fact), and also prevents me from having to run two sessions of OBS or whatever so I can have a higher quality recording for later editing if needed.

e: These are all great options - and I'm pretty happy only one or two require additional hardware. I'll probably do some testing tonight. Thanks folks!

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 13, 2015

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I'm currently working with the current vanilla version of MeGUI, and whenever I try converting my AVI file I get greeted with a nice garbled screen like so:

I've kept the script extremely simple - just a resize:

code:
AVISource("C:\Users\...\MeGUI_2525_x86\Sea Creatures are hurt by water.AVI", true).PointResize(720,480)
The file itself is a 240x160 .AVI file recorded from VBA-M 1.8.0 using Full Frames (Uncompressed). MeGUI outputs this as a .MKV file that can't be read by Windows Media Player or VLC.

I'm not quite too sure what exactly is mucking up, considering there's not a whole lot of changes happening here. Any suggestions?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Does the video play fine normally? It's also possible you're using an old version of VBA that breaks recordings that go over 4GB.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Okay. I used OBS to record a video, I used AvsPmod to write a script. I used the ffms2 plugin in avisynth so I could open the video file. I open the video file and script in Avidemux, it works, but when I go to save it it says the bitrate is too low.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Does the video play fine normally? It's also possible you're using an old version of VBA that breaks recordings that go over 4GB.

The .avi file itself is fine and can play. The version of VBA-M that I'm using is similar to what other LPers for the FFV thread are using.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So, one question about making a Minus account. If I do make one...is there any chance it will be able to access any private or sensitive information? Just about anything can be tracked these days, so I'm very nervous about accidentally opening myself up to being hacked or something.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
If I'm going to do a remote LP with a friend, what would the best way to do that be? If I understand correctly Mumble doesn't have native screen sharing, and I know Skype doesn't have native sound recording. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The usual way is to talk/screenshare over Skype with your buddies, but have everyone record their own audio (with Audacity or something) and then splicing it together afterwards.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The usual way is to talk/screenshare over Skype with your buddies, but have everyone record their own audio (with Audacity or something) and then splicing it together afterwards.

Thanks!

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Are there any other options for screen share? I like to use TeamSpeak when streaming because the audio quality is better, but also want to be able to screen share. I'm not sure having a Skype call and TeamSpeak going is a great idea.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You might be able to use vlc to stream it.
I haven't sat down to figure out the particulars of how yet.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I've seen mention in a couple of threads now that the LPer should "use JPEGs instead of PNGs to reduce file size". Is there already a good post that covers why this shouldn't be the first reaction? I know R1CH's image format page sort of covers it, but it seems to need some clarification.

In short, JPEGs only improve the file size because they're using lossy compression. This is (e:Typical defaults are) ugly and nigh-unreadable for many game graphics. The PNG files are big but can almost always be optimized to a smaller size that remains lossless. There's also the option to reduce the color space, which is lossy but works fine for quite a lot of games, especially if they are older ones that only supported a small number of colors in the first place.

On the mac, I use ImageOptim to do the optimization, which also has tools for GIF and JPEG images. Is there a similar 'all-in-one' utility for Windows that can be recommended?

vvvvvvv
Edited to clarify that the settings do need to be paid attention to. I suppose I shouldn't blame JPEGs, but the the software that outputs bloated PNGs.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 17, 2015

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Kangra posted:

I've seen mention in a couple of threads now that the LPer should "use JPEGs instead of PNGs to reduce file size". Is there already a good post that covers why this shouldn't be the first reaction? I know R1CH's image format page sort of covers it, but it seems to need some clarification.

In short, JPEGs only improve the file size because they're using lossy compression. This is ugly and nigh-unreadable for many game graphics. The PNG files are big but can almost always be optimized to a smaller size that remains lossless. There's also the option to reduce the color space, which is lossy but works fine for quite a lot of games, especially if they are older ones that only supported a small number of colors in the first place.

On the mac, I use ImageOptim to do the optimization, which also has tools for GIF and JPEG images. Is there a similar 'all-in-one' utility for Windows that can be recommended?

I've used JPG compression set to 94 with Irfanview and have had game pictures come out just fine, even ones with fine lines on white backgrounds. Granted, PNGs work better with huge areas of few colors, and do compress more when you use the reduce color option, but I've seen no reason to call JPGs ugly for games for quite some time. They used to be like that, certainly, but haven't been for a while. R1CH's guide, for one, is outdated in terms of what JPGs can currently do for images.

That all-in-one utility you're asking about for Windows is Irfanview. It does everything except GIFs, for which we have Gooncam.

Touchfuzzy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 17, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Kangra posted:

In short, JPEGs only improve the file size because they're using lossy compression. This is ugly and nigh-unreadable for many game graphics. The PNG files are big but can almost always be optimized to a smaller size that remains lossless. There's also the option to reduce the color space, which is lossy but works fine for quite a lot of games, especially if they are older ones that only supported a small number of colors in the first place.

Could I have some examples on where JPGs make things "ugly and nigh-unreadable"? I've been using JPGs for my LPs and haven't ever had a problem with it looking bad.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

JPEG is correct in some cases, PNG in others. PNG has its main role in limited-color lower resolution graphics, but the file sizes massively grow if you try to use it for "photorealistic" images.

A good rule of thumb could be, JPEG is preferable for 3D graphics. PNG is preferable for sprite graphics.
PNG is also preferable if you use pixel resizing for images, e.g. blowing up NDS screens to non-post stamp sizes.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, what Nielsm said. JPG has come a long way, and I don't think anyone should be afraid of using it like they were before. Even with this JPG of a window fullscreen'd, there're barely (if any) compression artifacts and it's still only 135 KB. That being said, there's no reason to when PNG compresses it, from bitmap form, to only 46.7.

I noticed the OP is asking for an Irfanview guide and I need to update (both the link and the info) my chart. I could make one, if anyone could give me what it is they want to see in one.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Touchfuzzy posted:

That all-in-one utility you're asking about for Windows is Irfanview. It does everything except GIFs, for which we have Gooncam.

Does Irfanview produce optimized images by default? If not, which setting or plug-in is to be used?

Note that I'm not saying that JPEGs are to be avoided. I'd just rather not the apparent choices be between 'lossy but less pretty JPEG' and 'bloated PNG'. Both options have better alternatives. I'd just rather not carp in somebody's thread about it without being able to offer those to them.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Kangra posted:

Does Irfanview produce optimized images by default? If not, which setting or plug-in is to be used?

Note that I'm not saying that JPEGs are to be avoided. I'd just rather not the apparent choices be between 'lossy but less pretty JPEG' and 'bloated PNG'. Both options have better alternatives. I'd just rather not carp in somebody's thread about it without being able to offer those to them.

When you save a picture, there's a settings box right to the side with a slider (for both JPG and PNG) that you move. It also persists, so it's a set once and forget thing; a very easy, no-way-you-can-miss thing. Also, the JPGs from Irfanview aren't "less pretty" and the PNGs aren't "bloated." If you want more compression, you can trade your time by using the PNGOut plugin in the settings. That is only very slightly harder to figure out than a slider.

At this point, what people should be asking in almost all cases regarding to JPG vs. PNG is not "which one looks better?", but "which one makes my file smaller" because both are fine quality wise.

Touchfuzzy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 17, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

When you save a picture, there's a settings box right to the side with a slider (for both JPG and PNG) that you move. It also persists, so it's a set once and forget thing; a very easy, no-way-you-can-miss thing. Also, the JPGs from Irfanview aren't "less pretty" and the PNGs aren't "bloated." If you want more compression, you can trade your time by using the PNGOut plugin in the settings. That is only very slightly harder to figure out than a slider.

At this point, what people should be asking in almost all cases regarding to JPG vs. PNG is not "which one looks better?", but "which one makes my file smaller" because both are fine quality wise.

Irfanview also has the PNGOUT plugin, which cuts size down even further. But it's slow as balls, mainly because it does a lot of iterative calculations and also because it spend a ton of resources to redraw the status dialog at uncapped FPS. Best to use that one on a batch of images and do something else while it crunches the numbers. Just set the compression level to 9 for general usage.

E: Gah, got ninja-edited.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Plorkyeran posted:

By "please file a bug report" I mean "please upload a file with problems, then go to the github page, click on the New Issue button and enter a short description of the problem along with a link to the file".

Finally ran into a sample video that desynced in the first 30 seconds (and is only like 150MB!) so I've gone ahead and done this.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Could I have some examples on where JPGs make things "ugly and nigh-unreadable"? I've been using JPGs for my LPs and haven't ever had a problem with it looking bad.
I don't know all of your LPs, but if you've got mostly 3D images and some decent-sized text, JPEGs are probably better or at least hardly any worse than PNG.

:siren: If you happen to be Alikchi don't click on the images, although it's from early in Windy's game which may well be dead. Also it's just a combat report.

I'm more concerned with stuff that has smaller text. Here's an example, based on a png that started out as posted, then a compressed PNG, then JPEGs.

(original, 624kB)
(png, color compressed and optimized, 177kB)
(jpeg top quality, but 320kB)
(jpeg compressed to a comparable size, 172kB)
(jpeg compressed even smaller, 137kB)

The two middle jpegs were optimized with ImageOptim, which saved about 4%.

I consider the PNGs to be indistinguishable, the first JPEG to be negligibly but noticeably different, and the similarly-sized one to be just slightly worse. I'd rather have the PNG if I had to read a whole thread like that. The last one is what I put in the camp of 'ugly and nigh-unreadable'. I wouldn't necessarily ask someone to change their workflow to fit my demands, but I thought it would be worth it to show the comparison and the type of images I'm talking about.

Geemer posted:

Irfanview also has the PNGOUT plugin, which cuts size down even further. But it's slow as balls, mainly because it does a lot of iterative calculations and also because it spend a ton of resources to redraw the status dialog at uncapped FPS. Best to use that one on a batch of images and do something else while it crunches the numbers. Just set the compression level to 9 for general usage.

E: Gah, got ninja-edited.

The batch process is the sort of optimization I'd recommend. If I'm prepping a post with ImageOptim (it uses PNGCrush, PNGOUT, AdvPNG and maybe one more), I dump them in there and let it run for up to a half hour. I know Irfanview does batch processing pretty well.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I've been using Virtual Audio Cable to share audio with people I'm recording with, but it distorts the sound with background noise. I've been told to switch to Voice Meeter, but I can't find the settings I need. How do I share audio with someone when: streaming from a PC, streaming from an Elgato, local recording from a PC and recording from an Elgato? (All using OBS) Screenshots of your own settings for this is fine, too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What Voicemeeter does is it takes whatever plays on your default audio device and pipes it into a virtual cable that then gets piped over Skype, mixed with your microphone audio. As far as I can tell, OBS doesn't output sound to your computer because that would be redundant most of the time, so you're gonna have to try something else. I have two suggestions on how to do it:

1) Use the Elgato Game Capture program instead of OBS. It outputs sound, you can still screen share, stream and record and this way, your problem becomes "how do I combine Skype audio with my microphone for streams," which is really easy with VAC.

2) Get an HDMI splitter that duplicates the Elgato's passthrough audio output to either RCA or a 3.5 mm jack. If you do the former, you'll also need a cable to convert the RCA audio cables to 3.5 mm. Alternatively, if you're recording an HDMI and analog enabled system, like a Wii U, then set your system to output to multiple audio sources and just use the analog audio cables directly. Plug that into your computer's mic port and set your PC to listen to the microphone so that game audio comes out of your default audio device. Your problem then becomes "how do I set enough delay so the audio is in sync with video."

Unless you have all of the stuff lying around, I can't recommend option 2 unless you really, really need OBS and are willing to spend some money.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
The reason I need to use OBS is because Elgato Game Capture adjusts the bitrate of the stream based on my upload, which then leads to the video being non-widescreen SD. When I asked their support how to make it widescreen, they said "Get better upload, sorry." (Which I can't because my ISP is poo poo.) OBS isn't so whiny and doesn't squish my footage.

Also, when I'm on my Elgato, OBS does output the sound to my PC? That's actually how I stream since the delay is less than a second, but since I use headphones for Skype, it's better than no sound. The problem is that I don't know how to setup Voicemeeter/VAC without Skype callers hearing themselves back, but still being audible on the stream.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What version of Elgato Game Capture are you using? I heard the version they put out with the release of the HD60 allows you to stream and record at different bitrates simulataneously.

Also, when you have OBS running with your Elgato going, you can hear it through your PC? I've never been able to hear any audio through OBS. The audio goes through to a stream perfectly, but it doesn't get repeated to my default audio device.

Edit: I get around Skype callers hearing themselves by piping Skype through a separate audio device than my default speakers so it doesn't get picked up by Voicemeeter.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 18, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
OBS will output sound to your computer as long as you set it to, my recording setup has it piping computer audio and mic audio into a VAC, which then goes to skype. Meanwhile Skype's audio goes through Voicemeeter, which means it doesn't get picked up by the channel OBS records on.

Theoretically you SHOULD be able to set a specific audio device (like a VAC) for OBS to pipe it's audio through, but I haven't been able to figure out why it doesn't. My current setup works so I'm scared to experiment.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Does anyone have a guide on how to edit videos recorded by obs? whenever I try it fails horribly and I really want to start my lp of dead island.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Define "it". What fails?

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

ChaosArgate posted:

What version of Elgato Game Capture are you using? I heard the version they put out with the release of the HD60 allows you to stream and record at different bitrates simulataneously.

Also, when you have OBS running with your Elgato going, you can hear it through your PC? I've never been able to hear any audio through OBS. The audio goes through to a stream perfectly, but it doesn't get repeated to my default audio device.

Edit: I get around Skype callers hearing themselves by piping Skype through a separate audio device than my default speakers so it doesn't get picked up by Voicemeeter.

The card is Elgato HD, the software is "Game Capture HD" from their official site. I avoid it since it squishes my PS3 footage and has chopping in my PS4 footage, something OBS never does.

And OBS has always picked up my Elgato audio, so I just assumed it was supposed to do that. I can screencap my settings and post them if you think it would help you.

I'll try and fiddle about a bit more with Voicemeeter then I guess.

Danaru posted:

OBS will output sound to your computer as long as you set it to, my recording setup has it piping computer audio and mic audio into a VAC, which then goes to skype. Meanwhile Skype's audio goes through Voicemeeter, which means it doesn't get picked up by the channel OBS records on.

Theoretically you SHOULD be able to set a specific audio device (like a VAC) for OBS to pipe it's audio through, but I haven't been able to figure out why it doesn't. My current setup works so I'm scared to experiment.

Is this your recording setup? Because the only recordings I have planned right now are post-commentary LPs, so my main issue is sharing sound on streams.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Define "it". What fails?

I used OBS to record a video, I used AvsPmod to write a script. I used the ffms2 plugin in avisynth so I could open the video file. I open the video file and script in Avidemux, it works, but when I go to save it it says the bitrate is too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What bitrate are you recording at?