Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
http://gematsu.com/2015/06/final-fantasy-vii-remake-development-before-ps4-pc-port-announcement

Nomura gave an interview, said Remake was in production way before then Ps4 port was announced, also this move is mainly to sell more consoles in Japan.

Also said expect the crazy stuff to stay in, after the question about Cloud in a dress was asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/final-fantasy-vii-remake-development-before-ps4-pc-port-announcement

Nomura gave an interview, said Remake was in production way before then Ps4 port was announced, also this move is mainly to sell more consoles in Japan.

Also said expect the crazy stuff to stay in, after the question about Cloud in a dress was asked.

I guess I have to revise my earlier theory of "Nomura was booted from FFXV cuz he was a big old lazybones," it looks like the bulk of his labor was just diverted here.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

quote:

“Please look forward to it,” Nomura said when the topic of Cloud in a dress was brought up.

This sounds promising.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Cloud had better stay in the dress for the entire game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

Please please please please Japan, remember how much you used to love consoles.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tae posted:

That's quite vain of them. The tastes and demographics of the Japanese market has shifted so dramatically over the last decade. I don't think the remake of a popular PS1 JRPG or even a string of console JRPGs can change that. Most of the best selling console games in the declining Japanese market are handheld games focused on the social gameplay, such as Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter, and Pokemon. Home console JRPGs like Tales and Final Fantasy have sold less and less with each new entry. It's becoming a struggle for games on home consoles to sell 300K+ copies in Japan.

That's not even getting into the impact of mobile gaming. The 15 year old Japanese kid who played FF7 in 1997 is now a married 30-ish year old office worker who probably only plays mobile games on their commute to work. He or she probably doesn't have the time to fit a lengthy JRPG into their schedule like they did in their youth. In Japan, console gaming has increasingly become a hobby of enthusiasts rather than a mainstream audience. Square-Enix is trying hard to make the PS4 a viable platform for AAA titles but it's an uphill battle.

Oxxidation posted:

I guess I have to revise my earlier theory of "Nomura was booted from FFXV cuz he was a big old lazybones," it looks like the bulk of his labor was just diverted here.

I think if Nomura was amicably removed due to other projects requiring his attention, then he would have at least helped promote the game's re-reveal at Tokyo Game Show. He could talk about why he is comfortable leaving the project in the hands of a new team and the importance of him shifting focus to other projects.

Instead, the CEO gave a tepid statement on his departure, the new FFXV team gutted the game's original concept, and Nomura said "It was the company's decision. I can't say anything more than that. I have to go now. My planet needs me."

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Yup pretty much the people who played FF7 the first time around are going to be lucky to get a free hour in a week to sit down and play it.

IT guys doing nothing but playing games on their downtime aren't going to buy enough to save Square.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BCR posted:

Yup pretty much the people who played FF7 the first time around are going to be lucky to get a free hour in a week to sit down and play it.

IT guys doing nothing but playing games on their downtime aren't going to buy enough to save Square.

Square doesn't need saving because FF 14 + mobile makes them tons of money.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I just hope they take everything that's in this screenshot into account

Missed a huge materia there bub.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I just really hope the ff7 remake isn't a total failure and keeps most of the crazy poo poo intact.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sakurazuka posted:

Square doesn't need saving because FF 14 + mobile makes them tons of money.

This is the real truth. They're making so much off their non-core gaming they can afford to take a flier or two.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BCR posted:

Ideally they go for a Jurassic World and buy it to shove their nostalgia onto their kids, but everyone knows no one Japan has kids anymore.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is an utterly trivial note but I was talking about the remake elsewhere and I am hoping they include Gilgamesh and an optional boss fight with him. It's kinda become an FF staple at this point so why not?

Just gotta figure out where to meet him. Gold Saucer?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cock hero flux posted:

Missed a huge materia there bub.

Nah, you only get three and the fourth is a freebie that doesn't count, right?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

This is an utterly trivial note but I was talking about the remake elsewhere and I am hoping they include Gilgamesh and an optional boss fight with him. It's kinda become an FF staple at this point so why not?

Just gotta figure out where to meet him. Gold Saucer?

Gold Saucer would be the most obvious, though they could be funny and have him pop up at Aerith's church or something.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Aurain posted:

The only notable thing from the crowd (which was basically empty) was a dude who screamed something like "OH MY GOD!!!!" when he thought Kingdom Hearts III was coming on and it was just for the mobile game.

I laughed at this because my friend is a KH3 nutjob truther level fanatic for these things and she made weird high pitched noises until she saw it was this iOs game instead. Then I was like, "Well, it's not going to be on after all," and this was the wrong thing to say at that moment. Then it came on anyway and everyone got better.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The way I see it, Final Fantasy VII Remake for Playstation 4 is not Final Fantasy VII for Playstation. It cannot and will not be exactly the same, because they are two completely different things, and trying to make them equivalent is completely missing the point of remakes. You have to face reality, which is that FF7 is a product of its time like any game is and cannot be exactly replicated because of the fact that time moves in one direction.

Here's a question: Why do we have remakes? If it's to play the game again, why not just port the game or release it on VC? If it's to make the graphics Real Good, why go through the trouble of making it from scratch when there's already HD mods for the PC version out there? If it's to reach a new generation of gamers, again, why not just release it on VC and hype it up? I don't think any of those are satisfying answers - I think the reason we have remakes is because we want to see how far we've come in that amount of time, and to bring the past, present, and future together in a positive way. We don't want to pretend our first run didn't happen, but we really want to try again and see what happens this time.

What I want to see in an FF7 remake is an evolution and reimagining of the original game. I want to see what was loved about it retained and expanded upon, to see what was not so great about it revised and improved, and to see an embrace of new ideas and a sense of not taking itself too seriously. It's an update, and not just from console to console - it's an update in ways of thinking, market environment, development process, and a completely new generation of players. Remember, this is still ultimately a video game. Final Fantasy VII wasn't a hit because it was Final Fantasy VII. Final Fantasy VII was a hit because it was a good game. For 1997, anyway.

Likewise, the best way they can make Re-VII a success is to focus on making a good game. That is really all that needs to be done. The rest will come naturally.

Of course this is all moot because it will never come out sssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :shepface:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
remakes are trash poo poo for stupid retards

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gay

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

The way I see it, Final Fantasy VII Remake for Playstation 4 is not Final Fantasy VII for Playstation. It cannot and will not be exactly the same, because they are two completely different things, and trying to make them equivalent is completely missing the point of remakes. You have to face reality, which is that FF7 is a product of its time like any game is and cannot be exactly replicated because of the fact that time moves in one direction.

Here's a question: Why do we have remakes? If it's to play the game again, why not just port the game or release it on VC? If it's to make the graphics Real Good, why go through the trouble of making it from scratch when there's already HD mods for the PC version out there? If it's to reach a new generation of gamers, again, why not just release it on VC and hype it up? I don't think any of those are satisfying answers - I think the reason we have remakes is because we want to see how far we've come in that amount of time, and to bring the past, present, and future together in a positive way. We don't want to pretend our first run didn't happen, but we really want to try again and see what happens this time.

What I want to see in an FF7 remake is an evolution and reimagining of the original game. I want to see what was loved about it retained and expanded upon, to see what was not so great about it revised and improved, and to see an embrace of new ideas and a sense of not taking itself too seriously. It's an update, and not just from console to console - it's an update in ways of thinking, market environment, development process, and a completely new generation of players. Remember, this is still ultimately a video game. Final Fantasy VII wasn't a hit because it was Final Fantasy VII. Final Fantasy VII was a hit because it was a good game. For 1997, anyway.

Likewise, the best way they can make Re-VII a success is to focus on making a good game. That is really all that needs to be done. The rest will come naturally.

Of course this is all moot because it will never come out sssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :shepface:

clouds rear end will get pounded in 1080p or this poo poo is worthless

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

corn in the bible posted:

remakes are trash poo poo for stupid retards

i'm gonna bop you one

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MY ABACUS! posted:

And, as you know, when a bad sequel is released, the original game ceases to exist.

Nah they just make poo poo followups until it's dead. See: Suikoden 4, Tierkreis, and the PSP thing.

Suikoden 5 was good but not enough to save it. :sigh:

Some people hated the slow start but it was good world building and anyone who didn't enjoy watching Lym freak out when you meet Jeanne for the first time has no soul.

Raxivace posted:

Kung Fury doesn't resemble the kinds of movies actually made in the 1980's except on a very superficial level.

The Expendables, on the other hand, is 80_action_movie.txt though they do unfortunately throw in memes, though at least Chuck Norris making a Chuck Norris joke was so loving tacky it fit in an 80s action flick.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This is the real truth. They're making so much off their non-core gaming they can afford to take a flier or two.

Mobile (and MMOs) are their core gaming though. They're a Japanese company and mobile gaming in Japan is insane in terms of revenue per user:

SE would kill its entire console development in a heartbeat if it guaranteed them a PAD or Monster Strike.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
FFXIII is on sale on Steam. Is it worth it for $7.99?

Is the battle system fun and captivating at all, or is it just a big boring slog?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I think the battle system eventually gets pretty interesting, it just takes a REALLY long time to get there

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

General Morden posted:

Is the battle system fun and captivating at all, or is it just a big boring slog?

The game is 13 chapters long. You unlock the battle system in the third and get full-time access to a full party partway into the ninth.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

General Morden posted:

The battle system is good but bogged down by the fact that the encounters are really repetitive and you don't actually get to use the battle system to its fullest until after like 20 hours of tutorial.

The story is hilarious though.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Motto posted:

The game is 13 chapters long. You unlock the battle system in the third and get full-time access to a full party partway into the ninth.

This information is shocking, but if the game is paced well, this might not be that bad... right?

The game is paced well right?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FF7 remake. more info this winter, it said.
FF7 PC-port. coming this winter, it said.

Any possibilities it'll be sold with a demo of the remake, like type-0 and ff15? escpecially if it's already been in development for a while?

but then again, that was a nomura statement.

General Morden posted:

This information is shocking, but if the game is paced well, this might not be that bad... right?

no, it feels slow, since every time you are given a new element to play with in the battle system, the game switches to another group of playable characters that don't have that element yet. yawn. ff13 is bad.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

General Morden posted:

no

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Why do I get the feeling that the only reason Final Fantasy 7 is getting a remake is because the last five or so FF games have been loving abysmal shitstains on the face of the RPG genre and the franchise is completely floundering under the weight of having no new ideas whatsoever because they've gotten so invested in sequels instead of creating new and interesting worlds to explore so they’re going to make a lovely loving cash grab based on nostalgia and ramped up graphics but the soul of the game will be completely loving dead and lemme guess it's gonna also be fully voiced and that's gonna be a disappointment just like Advent Children only worse.

Maybe I'm just being a pessimistic killjoy but I do not have high hopes for this. I think my expectations are about as low as they can possibly get. Oh well, at least I can still play the original on Steam. So there's that, at least.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anime Curator posted:

Why do I get the feeling that the only reason Final Fantasy 7 is getting a remake is because the last five or so FF games have been loving abysmal shitstains on the face of the RPG genre and the franchise is completely floundering under the weight of having no new ideas whatsoever because they've gotten so invested in sequels instead of creating new and interesting worlds to explore so they’re going to make a lovely loving cash grab based on nostalgia and ramped up graphics but the soul of the game will be completely loving dead and lemme guess it's gonna also be fully voiced and that's gonna be a disappointment just like Advent Children only worse.

Maybe I'm just being a pessimistic killjoy but I do not have high hopes for this. I think my expectations are about as low as they can possibly get. Oh well, at least I can still play the original on Steam. So there's that, at least.

Source your quotes so I can find out who said this and then laugh at them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

source quotes plz

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Anime Curator posted:

Maybe I'm just being a pessimistic killjoy but I do not have high hopes for this.

no one does. it's going to be garbage. but i'll play it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

General Morden posted:

You lose one character in Chapter 3 and don't get him back til Chapter 8. Meanwhile you're stuck with the same two pairs of characters until said chapter. Then when you finally get access to four characters, the party prevents you from switching them around til you finish a dungeon and get access to all six.

It's just little things like that that mess up the pacing.

If you just moved Nautilus before Palompolum and maybe do something to break up the long Lightning/Hope segments (Gapra Whitewood feels like it takes a really long time to me)... well, it wouldn't solve all the problems, but maybe a bit less of a slog.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

no one does. it's going to be garbage. but i'll play it.

I'm ready. I'm so ready. i want to believe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cloche posted:

I'm ready. I'm so ready. i want to believe.

That room's going to look amazing with modern lighting effects.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Can't wait for and FMV of Aeris being forced to mate with a dog.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

qbert posted:

Can't wait for and FMV of Aeris being forced to mate with a dog.

Going to make sure I have the Red XIII fedora skin activated for this one.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nah they just make poo poo followups until it's dead. See: Suikoden 4, Tierkreis, and the PSP thing.

Suikoden 5 was good but not enough to save it. :sigh:

Some people hated the slow start but it was good world building and anyone who didn't enjoy watching Lym freak out when you meet Jeanne for the first time has no soul.

The Expendables, on the other hand, is 80_action_movie.txt though they do unfortunately throw in memes, though at least Chuck Norris making a Chuck Norris joke was so loving tacky it fit in an 80s action flick.

Mobile (and MMOs) are their core gaming though. They're a Japanese company and mobile gaming in Japan is insane in terms of revenue per user:

SE would kill its entire console development in a heartbeat if it guaranteed them a PAD or Monster Strike.

Non-core gaming is a descriptive term describing things which are not 'core gaming', ie not blockbuster development for consoles and/or PC which has historically been their focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sunning posted:

That's quite vain of them. The tastes and demographics of the Japanese market has shifted so dramatically over the last decade. I don't think the remake of a popular PS1 JRPG or even a string of console JRPGs can change that. Most of the best selling console games in the declining Japanese market are handheld games focused on the social gameplay, such as Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter, and Pokemon. Home console JRPGs like Tales and Final Fantasy have sold less and less with each new entry. It's becoming a struggle for games on home consoles to sell 300K+ copies in Japan.

That's not even getting into the impact of mobile gaming. The 15 year old Japanese kid who played FF7 in 1997 is now a married 30-ish year old office worker who probably only plays mobile games on their commute to work. He or she probably doesn't have the time to fit a lengthy JRPG into their schedule like they did in their youth. In Japan, console gaming has increasingly become a hobby of enthusiasts rather than a mainstream audience. Square-Enix is trying hard to make the PS4 a viable platform for AAA titles but it's an uphill battle.

I think if Nomura was amicably removed due to other projects requiring his attention, then he would have at least helped promote the game's re-reveal at Tokyo Game Show. He could talk about why he is comfortable leaving the project in the hands of a new team and the importance of him shifting focus to other projects.

Instead, the CEO gave a tepid statement on his departure, the new FFXV team gutted the game's original concept, and Nomura said "It was the company's decision. I can't say anything more than that. I have to go now. My planet needs me."

You often write a ton of words about the industry that seem to be pretty spot on and interesting, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think FF7 HD is going to sell a bajillion copies and move PS4s like crazy.