Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

killaer posted:

Have they confirmed that it's actually in the Future and not in the past? Would be cool to experience the first encounter wars, rachni wars, etc., basically all that history poo poo that was in the codex.

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I think it might be hard to fight the first contact war in Andromeda.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

killaer posted:

Have they confirmed that it's actually in the Future and not in the past? Would be cool to experience the first encounter wars, rachni wars, etc., basically all that history poo poo that was in the codex.

Humans are the main species again, so yes. Unless Bioware is willing to risk a game with no humans at all, we won't ever go backwards. to those events.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

killaer posted:

http://blog.bioware.com/2015/06/15/introducing-mass-effect-andromeda/

quote:

this game is very much a new adventure, taking place far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Beefstew posted:

Mass Effect 4 is going to be a space western where you explore weird alien worlds and punch people. It's literally everything we liked about Mass Effect 2. Get hype.

This.

Also: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/ars-sits-down-with-with-bioware-to-talk-about-mass-effect-andromeda

re: N7 stuff, make it just a religious symbol of a great omnisexual demigod of war from ancient human legend and it's all cool

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Transmetropolitan posted:

This.

Also: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/ars-sits-down-with-with-bioware-to-talk-about-mass-effect-andromeda

re: N7 stuff, make it just a religious symbol of a great omnisexual demigod of war from ancient human legend and it's all cool

quote:

As we wrapped, Walters and Flynn both expressed awe and no small amount of reverence at the Mass Effect fans’ dedication to the games, be they with musical compositions or the fan art communities on sites like Deviantart (so, yes, it’s likely that the BioWare team has seen and in fact really likes your Garrus drawings!).

"That’s a great example," Flynn said when I asked about Deviantart in particular. "You’re like, how did somebody understand what we were trying to go for with this relationship or with these characters and then just do their own cool take on it? That’s very humbling to see people do that."
Ha ha(??)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has anyone tried to play Mass Effect through Xbone backwards compatibility yet?

midwat
May 6, 2007

The new trailer didn't really grab me and we didn't really learn anything new. It was just a reminder Mass Effect exists.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The first half of the trailer was exciting and the second is generic-rear end bullshit. The best way to improve this game would be to put more great 50s and 60s country on the Pip-Boy and make it Fallout: New Vegas. Drop all the romances, add a half-blind turian sharpshooter called Ol' Hick'ry Victus who is out of his mind from inhaling eezo fumes back when he was a prospector, throw in a krogan named Tex, and have a personal defense mech named HanC Mk. I who speaks entirely in Hank Williams clips ("move it on over!" during combat, "six more miles" when the Mako's almost at its destination).

There we go, I fixed it. I fixed ME4 everyone.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
when i think mass effect, i definitely think of johnny cash

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

See, the problem is that Mass Effect is bad. I made it good, in my post, with my good ideas. Also you play as an alien and if you pick a human it's like $7.99 DLC. I fixed it

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Another idea: For every alien hottie you screw you get a card, you can then trade those cards in-game for cool laser weapons/mako upgrades

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think they should keep the card idea except for every card you get you move higher up a loving government watchlist

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Spacebump posted:

Has anyone tried to play Mass Effect through Xbone backwards compatibility yet?

Yeah. It's still pretty janky since it's very much in beta and the original game already had performance problems, but the texture pop in is way reduced, loading is a lot faster, and I haven't had the frame rate cough and die at the first sign of fighting like you normally do.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What if this game follows a group of explorers that was sent to the Andromeda galaxy before the events of Mass Effect 3? They were put on hibernation and only woke up when they arrive at Andromeda centuries later.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Transmetropolitan posted:

No one could ever forget the name Conrad Verner.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gnome de plume posted:

No one could ever forget the name Conrad Verner.

..Honestly this would probably work out best. If it's super far in the future have it be like one of those Civ Beyond Earth stories where it sort of sounds correct but everyone who's played the previous games knows what's going on.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
All the Mass Effect games are cool and good. A++ would continue to replay again.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I blame Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer for making me want to play as aliens in Andromeda instead of boring humans

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

frajaq posted:

I blame Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer for making me want to play as aliens in Andromeda instead of boring humans
Maybe they'll add some of the better MP powers.

Still want a vorcha teammate named Break Fans.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think the premise of the game is really exciting. In the other Mass Effects most of the galaxy was already mapped out and explored in a way, with the established civilizations already knowing eachother and stuff. In this new one we're going to a place where we know nothing and no one knows us. The explorer in me got a boner thinking about that

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Think of how bad of a first impression your Not-Shepard can make when encountering new aliens!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Milky Moor posted:

when i think mass effect, i definitely think of johnny cash

I think of Johnny Cash a lot, because he's insanely good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't have any Cash... because I just spent it all pre-ordering Mass Effect 4!!!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zzulu posted:

I think the premise of the game is really exciting. In the other Mass Effects most of the galaxy was already mapped out and explored in a way, with the established civilizations already knowing eachother and stuff. In this new one we're going to a place where we know nothing and no one knows us. The explorer in me got a boner thinking about that

I love the exploration theme myself. Diving into the unknown is always one of the main appeals of any space-based work and something I was really missing after the first game. Hopefully they've learned enough to make doing so more entertaining than driving around empty wastelands in the terrible Mako.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

The MSJ posted:

What if this game follows a group of explorers that was sent to the Andromeda galaxy before the events of Mass Effect 3? They were put on hibernation and only woke up when they arrive at Andromeda centuries later.
Or an escape plan to flee the reapers that was put into effect as a contingency before the reapers were dealt with/the terrible ending.

But yeah, this is what it will be. Hypersleep or just some kind of mass effect based time dilation. No need to talk about me3 because they don't know how it turned out, and it was centuries ago anyway.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 17, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In Andromeda 3, if you import a ME3 save, you'll finally re-establish contact with the Milky Way.

You get an email and 5000 credits.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

frajaq posted:

Think of how bad of a first impression your Not-Shepard can make when encountering new aliens!

I expect nothing less than Star Trek Voyager in Mass Effect clothing, with a suitable level of retardation and hilarity. Gonna raze entire worlds for the crime of not having a fresh supply of coffee.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

I expect nothing less than Star Trek Voyager in Mass Effect clothing, with a suitable level of retardation and hilarity. Gonna raze entire worlds for the crime of not having a fresh supply of coffee.

Make this a left-click prompt and it will really be Mass Effect.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

sassassin posted:

Ashley and I say different.

I see you hate fun :ohdear:

Sentinel Red posted:

You said Star Trek Voyager so retardation and hilarity is redundant.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 17, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Double post

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zzulu posted:

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see more, but in allegedly ~3 years of development all we're getting are incredibly generic visuals and a setting that has nothing to do with the previous Mass Effect games. Maybe that's exciting to some, but for me it's saying "we have no idea what to do with this franchise, have no creative direction, and will feed gullible gamers whatever vague industry buzzwords they want to hear up until release."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BigPaddy posted:

I see you hate fun :ohdear:

Listening to a traitorous alien choke on his own blood after pulling a gun on me is fun and I love it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sassassin posted:

Listening to a traitorous alien choke on his own blood after pulling a gun on me is fun and I love it.

you're weird

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sassassin was a legit caremad ME3 ending goon who three years after the fact is just now trying to make jokes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What I'm trying to say is that he is an inspiration to us all and proof that even the ragiest of gamers can change.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

What I'm trying to say is that he is an inspiration to us all and proof that even the ragiest of gamers can change.

hail satan

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

Sassassin was a legit caremad ME3 ending goon who three years after the fact is just now trying to make jokes.

I wasn't mad about the ending specifically (in retrospect). The game was bad. I almost quit after killing the reaper with a laser pointer, and had to force myself to finish.

Kai Leng is good. The extended cut is bad. Fishbowl helmets look silly. I always kill Wrex. These are not jokes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

No surrender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I don't get why you guys are upset about a Johnny Cash song in a teaser trailer. Some of his songs were straight up apocalyptic. This was probably just Bioware trying to conjure up an idea of the frontier without dipping deeply into the folk and early country music that would be more appropriate but considered un-hip for the E3 hipster techie crowd.

• Locked thread