Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

kastein posted:

NOT THIS loving poo poo AGAIN

I had great hopes this thread was going to stay on topic and I see goons are still goons. gently caress this I give up, have fun being stupid spergs and arguing about how much concrete something is or whether some dude is wearing shoes or not. I've got better poo poo to do than try and wade through a crummy 99% derailed thread.

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Somebody is loving proud of that fix job, too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Crossposting/Quoting myself from the quick fix thread to hopefully get more suggestions. I'm trying to get my washer and drier that I just bought installed and there's a problem with every hookup for them it seems.

Gas line: what do you suggest here? It's flex line and I can't tell how far it goes back in the tiny hole in the drywall, but at least a few inches. Is this ok or not? There's the yellow flex line in the basement and crawl space leading to this area of the house, I just don't know how far this line goes back to it.

Dryer duct: plan is to rip out all the PCV and redo it with metal. Will start tearing into drywall soon. :( (was hoping to avoid having to do this)

Washer drain: too low, needs about 8-9" higher to be compliant with the washer I bought. Is there a clean way to do this? The water supply lines seem ok, the drain just needs moved up. It would be nice to leave the water lines alone and just raise the drain height but I don't want to half rear end it.

Edit: want to get started on this ASAP and get it installed since it sucks having to go to the laundromat.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

quote:

Just how bad are the water-damaged wooden beams helping prop up the glass canopy above busy Director Park?

One beam is so rotten inspectors could push through it with a screwdriver.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/06/director_park_support_beam_so.html

Those rotten wood support beams are holding up a gazillion pound glass canopy above pedestrians

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's no reason for that wood to have rotted so fast, whats up with that?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baronjutter posted:

There's no reason for that wood to have rotted so fast, whats up with that?

Untreated wood, Oregon weather?

quote:

The company reported that none of the wooden beams appeared to be pressure-treated or coated with sealant to fight weather conditions. As a result, 54 of the wooden beams had obvious water damage and needed immediate or near-term action, according to the report, released to The Oregonian/OregonLive in response to a public records request.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It was untreated wood and it's the Pacific Northwest. It is literally a rain forest.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Larrymer posted:

Crossposting/Quoting myself from the quick fix thread to hopefully get more suggestions. I'm trying to get my washer and drier that I just bought installed and there's a problem with every hookup for them it seems.

Gas line: what do you suggest here? It's flex line and I can't tell how far it goes back in the tiny hole in the drywall, but at least a few inches. Is this ok or not? There's the yellow flex line in the basement and crawl space leading to this area of the house, I just don't know how far this line goes back to it.

Dryer duct: plan is to rip out all the PCV and redo it with metal. Will start tearing into drywall soon. :( (was hoping to avoid having to do this)

Washer drain: too low, needs about 8-9" higher to be compliant with the washer I bought. Is there a clean way to do this? The water supply lines seem ok, the drain just needs moved up. It would be nice to leave the water lines alone and just raise the drain height but I don't want to half rear end it.

Edit: want to get started on this ASAP and get it installed since it sucks having to go to the laundromat.

Get a plumber to redo your gas line with black iron. The flex hose is pretty unsafe. Have them redo the supply and drain while they are there. Tell them you'll clean up and that might defray some cost. Be nice and ask to watch and you'll learn how to make a sweated joint.

Welcome to owning a house, it's loving expensive.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Phanatic posted:

It was untreated wood and it's the Pacific Northwest. It is literally a rain forest.

Untreated, god drat. I live here and know of tons of wooden structures out in parks and poo poo all covered in moss and are still solid after 30+ years. Lot of old bridges and big huge gazebo type things where kids on field trips gather. Probably some dumbfuck architect that thought treating the wood would harm his artistic vision for a true and natural organic structure.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Untreated, god drat. I live here and know of tons of wooden structures out in parks and poo poo all covered in moss and are still solid after 30+ years. Lot of old bridges and big huge gazebo type things where kids on field trips gather. Probably some dumbfuck architect that thought treating the wood would harm his artistic vision for a true and natural organic structure.

More likely the construction team was too cheap to pay the extra buck per board to treat it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

More likely the construction team was too cheap to pay the extra buck per board to treat it.

For a project like that every single screw and nut is exactly laid out in the contract. Absolutely nothing is put down to the builder's choice, so any deviation would end up with a lawsuit, or wouldn't have passed inspection. The fact that it was untreated was consciously decided by either the architect or engineer and approved by multiple people making six figure salaries.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Get a plumber to redo your gas line with black iron. The flex hose is pretty unsafe.

CSST is just fine when your house isn't being struck by lightning. Make sure it's bonded to minimize the risk when your house is being struck by lightning. Replacing it all would be a waste of money.

For the part that's sticking out there, you need a termination mount that is rigidly affixed to the wall, with a strike plate to protect the tubing around it.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

kastein posted:

NOT THIS loving poo poo AGAIN

I had great hopes this thread was going to stay on topic and I see goons are still goons. gently caress this I give up, have fun being stupid spergs and arguing about how much concrete something is or whether some dude is wearing shoes or not. I've got better poo poo to do than try and wade through a crummy 99% derailed thread.

The kitchen sink in my first house had a drain that had been "fixed" like that, but as a bonus had no water shut off valves, they were conveniently located in the crawlspace, under the bedroom, at the opposite corner of the house. It was actually easier to shut the water off at the street for the whole house than to get to the valves for the kitchen sink. Neither bathroom sink had shutoff valves either.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

For a project like that every single screw and nut is exactly laid out in the contract. Absolutely nothing is put down to the builder's choice, so any deviation would end up with a lawsuit, or wouldn't have passed inspection. The fact that it was untreated was consciously decided by either the architect or engineer and approved by multiple people making six figure salaries.

But, see, if I treated the wood, it wouldn't age, and I can't make visiting the park part of a unique experience in understanding the transitive nature of buildings and their place in the history of the world. Aging IS a thing. We need to accept that.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Zhentar posted:

CSST is just fine when your house isn't being struck by lightning. Make sure it's bonded to minimize the risk when your house is being struck by lightning. Replacing it all would be a waste of money.

For the part that's sticking out there, you need a termination mount that is rigidly affixed to the wall, with a strike plate to protect the tubing around it.

I'm concerned because it looks like the hose was shoved into a wall space and the pokes out of the drywall. Not being able to visibly inspect the length of it would warrant replacement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I'm concerned because it looks like the hose was shoved into a wall space and the pokes out of the drywall. Not being able to visibly inspect the length of it would warrant replacement.

I've seen way too much of that stuff well past it's bend radius when fished through finished walls.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Picture is kind of small, but is that a set of French Doors that open on thin air?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is that a picture of that balcony? Cos it might be a touch too soon.

Alternatively, yes, those french doors do open onto thin air.

Now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

No, it's a collapsed balcony - the doors are where it used to be, and you can actually see the railings landed on the balcony below it. To be fair I am not sure that it was crappy construction, that little balcony somehow had 13 people on it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ashcans posted:

To be fair I am not sure that it was crappy construction, that little balcony somehow had 13 people on it.

Probably that. People usually don't consider that the weight of humans can kill buildings.

Or that a few dozen people jumping up and down in sync on a parking structure roof could cause concrete to flex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3HTkkpvtU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i puckered seeing that

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

canyoneer posted:

Probably that. People usually don't consider that the weight of humans can kill buildings.

Or that a few dozen people jumping up and down in sync on a parking structure roof could cause concrete to flex.

Reminds me of games Texas A&M. Each section of the stadium held something like 35k people and during the fight song they'd lock shoulders and legs and sway in unison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk3jP6FKFVo

poo poo would rock the stadium for a good five seconds after it's stop.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Classmates had to pay a huge repair bill on a rented ski cabin after a rousing rendition of Jump Around got 50 people to hop in unison and they cracked the sill on two sides.

People expose buildings to stresses that no engineer could have imagined. Though with sports stadiums they really should see massed stupidity as an inevitability.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

canyoneer posted:

This is generally terrifying whenever it happens, because car park design loading actually isn't all that big. It's not even close to what your design for the sort of large gathering you see every one in a while.

Also, engineers imagine all this kind of poo poo, you just can't justify designing to the completely crazy edge cases that are always going to happen. I've literally had internet forum discussions with other structural engineers about whether it's justifiable to to design upper floors in parking lots to huge load capacity in case this sort of thing happens.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It wouldn't at all surprise me if that balcony was intended for like 3 people to fit on, and they were like 'well you know, people are nuts' and then built it to support 10 just in case, and now someone is holding their head in their hands wondering how the hell 13 people got onto that thing and kicking themselves for not building to 5x capacity.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

And adding another hull to the Titanic would have stopped it from sinking.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

canyoneer posted:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/06/director_park_support_beam_so.html

Those rotten wood support beams are holding up a gazillion pound glass canopy above pedestrians

That's actually a fairly small awl, or maybe a Torx driver and very large bolts -- I have that same screwdriver set.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

In the basement it looks like one long line of the CSST line to that hole, but without being able to really see in there I can't say for sure. I assume this is still bad?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Delivery McGee posted:

That's actually a fairly small awl, or maybe a Torx driver and very large bolts -- I have that same screwdriver set.

Well here's the full report to muck around in

http://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/other/Miller%20Engineering%20Report%5B1%5D.pdf

From the report, the beams are 3.5" x 10.5" glulam beams

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Ashcans posted:

It wouldn't at all surprise me if that balcony was intended for like 3 people to fit on, and they were like 'well you know, people are nuts' and then built it to support 10 just in case, and now someone is holding their head in their hands wondering how the hell 13 people got onto that thing and kicking themselves for not building to 5x capacity.

Balconies built to code in the US should generally be built to a service load of 100psf. With safety factor, you really shouldn't be able to break that even with people jammed in there.

Some people argue that small balconies should be designed to the loading requirements of the room they're attached too. It's a stretch of a code interpretation. That could get you as low as 40 psf... It's not the right way to do it, though.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
According to the news article, when new that balcony was legally designed for 60psf.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-berkeley-balcony-collapse-20150616-story.html#page=1

quote:

The building was erected under 1998 building codes, and the balcony should have withstood up to 60 pounds per square foot, according to the city.

But one expert suggested that water seeping into the horizontal support beams could have caused dry rot, contributing to the collapse.

“It appears to be a classic case of dry rot, meaning water intruded into the building [and] rotted the wood” that supported the balcony, said Gene St. Onge, a civil and structural engineer in Oakland. With more than a dozen people on the balcony, “It gave way. It didn’t have enough residual strength, and it failed.”

St. Onge said photos that he reviewed Tuesday morning, showing the broken wooden beams protruding from the building that once held up the balcony, reveal what clearly looks like signs of dry rot.

A structural failure without any dry rot would have looked different, St. Onge said.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Guess that shows me!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Gardenator posted:

According to the news article, when new that balcony was legally designed for 60psf.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-berkeley-balcony-collapse-20150616-story.html#page=1

Amm, how does "water seeping into beams" mean dry rot? Isn't that NORMAL rot?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Amm, how does "water seeping into beams" mean dry rot? Isn't that NORMAL rot?

Not really. Dry rot is just a weird outdated term for wood decay due to certain types of fungi.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Gardenator posted:

This is to me a confusing way of describing load capacity.

That means that if the balcony is, say, 10'x6', that's 60 square feet, so the balcony needs to have a design load of 60*60 = 3600 lbs, right?

It does not mean that if I take an object that weighs 70 lbs and has a base that's 1 square foot in area, and place it on that balcony I've exceed the design limit, right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The difference is, the way you want to describe it only specs one single balcony. The way it's actually described specs ALL balconies, as it scales with the size of the balcony. Performing the actual multiplication is left as an exercise to the designer.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Yeah, it's just odd-seeming, is all. If I'm building a raised floor for a server room and I use stuff that's rated to load limit of 1500lbs per square foot, it doesn't mean that my 1000-square-foot server room's floor can support 1.5 million pounds.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well, those are two completely different problems. The server room floor is done that way so people can forklift loaded racks in and out, but they know it won't be filled that densely all the time, while as we can see, dumbasses do pack balconies that full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

The difference is total load vs footprint load. Are there engineering terms used to differentiate these cases?