Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Coyote would say that, considering he put the stars in the sky, of course he's older than Jones. The stars were around when she first looked at the sky, after all. Jones would contend that she is the first living being on this earth as far as she knows. Coyotes certainly didn't exist back then. And yet Coyote's assertions isn't wrong.

The answer, I think, is that "the ether is weird and can bend reality and time."

Yeah that would definitely be his answer. It'd definitely like to see more between them. I thought something was going to happen when Jones told him she could take Annie out of the Forest whether they liked it or not, but Coyote just laughed. The reason I am not sure he definitely gave Renard flawed abilities is because I don't think he intentionally created the Shadows that way. So it could be that there are inherent problems in transferring his ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JT Jag posted:

Coyote would say that, considering he put the stars in the sky, of course he's older than Jones. The stars were around when she first looked at the sky, after all. Jones would contend that she is the first living being on this earth as far as she knows. Coyotes certainly didn't exist back then. And yet Coyote's assertions isn't wrong.

The answer, I think, is that "the ether is weird and can bend reality and time."

I think of it like that passage in discworld which describes all the various mythologies' explanations for the sun, and ends stating the fact that they are all true.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

JT Jag posted:

retroactive continuity

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah he'll kill some person that he thinks is dangerous to Kat or Annie or something like that, but he's not going to hurt them. intentionally
It's a good job there's no loopholes in his-

Oh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Hey Kat, isnt it kind of wierd that Rey is now inside my Dad? Kat? Kat?"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 1, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Friendship fusion, defeated?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I mean, Eglamore seems willing to invite Renard into his home, and Sivo was apparently Jimmy Jim's best friend.

Renard's justification that Sivo's death and Daniel's death are different is a reflection on his morals, one where a fight between two powerful beings is a duel where the victor is justified, but a powerful being taking advantage of a weaker one and killing it is cruel murder to be regretted every day.
So while he's at Gunnerkrigg, a place that honestly is not populated by overdone fights to the death like one of my Japanese animes, a place where most people just go to school or work and do their thing, Renard is safe. He is not inclined to kill people for personal gain. He is not a murderous psychopath who thirsts for the blood of the innocent.

But... He will kill things he believes will cause harm to others. If he thinks you're going to try to kill someone, he won't hesitate to kill you first. After all, isn't that what he did to Hettie? After he finds out she was plotting the death of some poor schlub, he wasted no time on wasting her shrimp tail. And I doubt he shed a tear for her afterwards.

It's interesting. This is a moral system that we take without blinking an eye in plenty of other fantasy settings, or even some superhero settings. It's so common it's a running joke in D&D games. Of course, with us civilized types we give it some thought and realize this line of reasoning is kinda hosed, but we have the benefit of justice systems, external police forces, argumentation. In the forest, it's definitely considered justified. And isn't that what Annie and her friends are trying to do? Bridge this gap between the court and the forest?

that got a little away from me in the end there

Edit: in fact, here's the question for you guys positing Renard is a danger to Annie. Would you say Renard murdered Hettie?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Way to go Kat.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You have a very bizarre way of saying 'murder'. You seem to think this is real: "modern legal systems consider it murder," "the UK considers this murder," "basics of western civilisation," "this is literal murder". You in fact end up saying that murder is a cheap label (what, is it not murder if western civilisation wasn't involved?). Of course it's murder - it's objectively bad (in fact coyote manipulating him weakens it). But it's not real. We don't need you banging on about it because you're so offended by Literal Murder that you end up conflating fiction with reality.

Well then let me sort that out for you: I still have a grasp on reality firm enough that I am aware Gunnerkrigg Court is a fake fantasy story and not actually things that happened in real life with real people.

I don't really see what that has to do with anything I said though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

YF-23 posted:

Way to go Kat.

Well then let me sort that out for you: I still have a grasp on reality firm enough that I am aware Gunnerkrigg Court is a fake fantasy story and not actually things that happened in real life with real people.

I don't really see what that has to do with anything I said though.

Of course you don't think that. You feel it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Tell me more about your psychology degree.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mentally healthy people don't need to constantly tell them selves than fiction is not real.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Itzena posted:

It's a good job there's no loopholes in his-

Oh.

Another way to read it could be that it is foreshadowing a future situation where Rey needs to act to protect Annie or Kat, but is unable to because Anthony isn't threatening him personally.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Annie, nooooooooooo..... :sigh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Now I am wondering just how many pages Tom can fill up with ways Anthony refuses to reveal anything.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Countdown to Anthony forbidding Annie from associating with Kat or her family at all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Countdown to Tony forbidding Annie from associating with Kat or her family at all.

Anthony doesn't need to do that. Look at Annie in the last two panels. Kat and Annie's friendship has taken some serious damage here. Guess Annie was right about her fears, she is going to push Kat away.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There is a good chance Parley and Smitty are still in Tony's house.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

They bipped out with Kat, you think they went back for some reason?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

This is the second time you've posted this. Why do you think this?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MikeJF posted:

They bipped out with Kat, you think they went back for some reason?

Ah my mistake. My timeline of events was wrong that's all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

Anthony doesn't need to do that. Look at Annie in the last two panels. Kat and Annie's friendship has taken some serious damage here. Guess Annie was right about her fears, she is going to push Kat away.

I don't think Annie and Kat's friendship is that fragile. While Annie might try to put distance between them, Kat remains her best friend and her one remaining link to her old life. Tony attempting to fully sever that link would have consequences.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Annie and Kat will be fine, but Kat putting Annie in a position where she has to choose between the two most important people in her life is always going to create tension.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Now I am wondering just how many pages Tom can fill up with ways Anthony refuses to reveal anything.

Yep, getting reaaaaally old. :sigh:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Annie and Kat will be fine, but Kat putting Annie in a position where she has to choose between the two most important people in her life is always going to create tension.

It's not really Kat putting her in that position

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

She's definitely not helping the situation, though.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 17, 2015

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
This is excruciating.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Annie does not like people saying that her father could do wrong and Kat is definitely not helping things by constantly accusing Anthony of various things. Rey did that too and things got ugly really quickly. They did patch things up yes, so I'm not saying this one event will break their friendship but I do think it's a very bad sign that Annie is so quick to brush Kat off here.

Kat and Annie's friendship is central to the comic, and I think Anthony's purpose (narratively speaking) might be here to be a direct threat or obstacle to that friendship. Now if something were to happen to Anthony, like say, as a result of Kat's instructions to Rey then that might be the tipping point that gets Annie to run off to the forest. Course Tom is great at surprises and who knows what will happen, but I do think there is a possibility that this could happen. If it did, I imagine they'll eventually patch things up but they'll probably go through a lot of hell before then.

Who knows, maybe that'll be the climax of the whole comic. Annie and Kat repairing their friendship and reuniting the court and forest at the same time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

Who knows, maybe that'll be the climax of the whole comic. Annie and Kat repairing their friendship and reuniting the court and forest at the same time.

It seems like a clash is coming between them considering the flashes of 'Kat The Maker' we have seen. It seems to be the polar opposite of the Forest.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

M.c.P posted:

Edit: in fact, here's the question for you guys positing Renard is a danger to Annie. Would you say Renard murdered Hettie?

I, personally, do not believe Renard is a danger to Annie, but it is understandable why someone might be concerned- even not for Annie's sake but for those around her. Consider the early chapter when Renard was first revealed to be in the doll- he was sabotaging the other competitors in the science fair. He's got enough leeway and a different enough moral code that he might undertake some destructive action that makes sense to him. I don't believe he would intentionally, but in a stress situation? Maybe, but probably not.

We, as the audience, know Renard enough that we can judge him based on intentions and feelings, but someone with more distance, like Anthony, can only judge based on surface actions, which don't look very good. So yeah, Anthony certainly could have handled things much better by talking to Annie first, but I could see how his actions (like Renard's, a parallel! or many other characters) would seem justified.

But for the record, yes I believe Renard murdered Hettie. His actions were certainly noble and well-intentioned, and he certainly had an obligation to do something about her, but it wasn't a life-or-death situation at the moment he did kill her. He could have captured her, or informed someone. That said one could argue that letting Hettie go even temporarily in order to get help could result in harm or death to Adam.

What are you talking about? There is no allegory to Reynard being a murderer.

What are you talking about? You're the one who said:

There is an appreciable difference between "the crimes Reynard has committed are an example of hidden, painful histories that are a principal motif in Gc" and "he murdered a guy. He murdered a guy. He murdered a guy. Reynard murdered a guy". YF-23 is basi ally an Otherkin.

(nice ad hominen by the way)

Simplifying Renard's actions to "tragic backstory" does everyone a disservice. YF and others are actually attempting to engage with Renard's motives, his morales, his character, and even more, what the narrative and Tom Siddell are saying.

Renard killed Daniel- a terrible act, and one born of passion. A being of power killing an innocent with no warning. Renard feels immense guilt over this, but many of the other characters and the audience believe him at least capable of redemption and forgiveness, if he hasn't earned it already.

Renard killed Sivo attempting to avoid the consequences of his actions. This could be construed as two powerful beings in a fair fight- or as a criminal killing a police officer while resisting lawful arrest. Renard feels no remorse for this. The other characters still seem to consider Renard redeemable, or they don't care at all.

YF-23 is absolutely right to harp on the difference between the two.There is a distinction, and what the characters, and the narrative say about that distinction is very important, as is how you (general you) view Renard, his actions, and his treatment.

Do you think Renard was justified killing Sivo? If yes, why? If no, what does it mean to you that Renard considers it justified? Or that Eglamore seems to have forgiven him?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

CrashCat posted:

You remember we're talking about Tom "I hope every question you could possibly have has been answered" Siddell here.

See also: "it is mankind's endeavour to become God," everything to do with Jones, and the one time we got an answer for what "it grew from the Seed Bismuth" actually means and Coyote ate it and said "nope."

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Whoa look at that. Donald is not mad and kicking his friend out of the house.

Countdown to Anthony forbidding Annie from associating with Kat or her family at all.

I doubt this is happening. People were so sure that this had already happened and it wasn't the case at all.

I mean it could happen I guess, but IMO it's unlikely.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Carrasco posted:

"it grew from the Seed Bismuth" actually means and Coyote ate it and said "nope."

That was great. Though he did say not everything it said was a lie, or something to that effect.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
At this point, Annie appears to be a lost cause. This plot line has BEEN a lost cause. I wonder if this comic will finally cut to something else, or should we just continue waiting for nothing to happen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Carrasco posted:

"it grew from the Seed Bismuth" actually means and Coyote ate it and said "nope."

Coyote had a tummyache so he took some seed pepto bismol.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Blackheart posted:

I mean it could happen I guess, but IMO it's unlikely.

Why? Tony's shown that's he's not exactly shy about quarrantining Annie from things he considers bad influences. I could quite easily see him deciding that Kat falls into that category after her outburst.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

UndyingShadow posted:

At this point, Annie appears to be a lost cause. This plot line has BEEN a lost cause. I wonder if this comic will finally cut to something else, or should we just continue waiting for nothing to happen.

Have some faith. Tom does prefer slow pacing but he does go somewhere with things. This is clearly set up for something major to happen. We don't know exactly what but there is definitely going to be a pay off. If the day to day updates get to be too much just take a break and come back a few weeks later.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Anthony isn't going to do this. If anything the person most likely to give the cold shoulder to Katerina "I'll insult my best friend's father and act like I care about her more than he does in front of her" Donlan is Annie herself.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
drat, this is painful to watch right now. Here's to hoping Anja can maybe save diplomatic relations at this point, though I doubt it since both Kat and Donald have kinda screwed the pooch on that front. This was a good exchange just to see how ticked Donald is though. He and Tony have been friends for ages, and Donald has shown that he understands how to "read" Tony's idiosyncrasies, so he should know better than to ask direct questions to someone who repeatedly, time and time again, has been known to deflect them.

Donald obviously wants answers, and he's irritated by the actions of his friend to a point where he isn't asking as a friend, but as an inquisitor. Say what you will about Tony (He IS kind of an rear end) but I don't think he deserves the third degree quite in this way. Tony leaving at this point is basically him saying he's had enough and is upset himself at his friend firing obviously loaded questions his way. There were numerous different ways Donald (And Kat) could have approached this and maybe actually got some answers, but they let their emotions get the better of them.

This is a pretty gut-wrenching scene, to be honest, especially since Annie's just kind of caught in the middle of it all and really couldn't do much about it even if she wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Say what you will about Tony (He IS kind of an rear end) but I don't think he deserves the third degree quite in this way.

It's the least he deserves.