Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

What I want to see in an FF7 remake is an evolution and reimagining of the original game.

Bully for you, then, because when/if this comes out that's exactly what it's going to be. PSX-era RPG's aren't compatible with AAA game design today. If this were a "remake" in the style of, I dunno, Bravely Default, there might be a chance of a 1:1 remake, but if it's anything like that teaser? Hidden characters like Yuffie and Vincent haven't been in big-name RPG's in a decade. We got an entire spinoff title from an optional, easily-missable sequence in the original FF7 whose only clue to its location was an even more easily missable and forgettable bit of flavor text. SE couldn't afford to pull a stunt like that today.

My guess is it'll be far more linear and, given Nomura, considerably more melodramatic, with the major plotpoints from the original game signposted every so often amidst a bunch of references and callbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

You often write a ton of words about the industry that seem to be pretty spot on and interesting, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think FF7 HD is going to sell a bajillion copies and move PS4s like crazy.

I have little doubt FFVII-HD will sell very well and will probably have a lot of pre-orders, but I have little idea what I actually want the game to be, truthfully. A scene-for-scene remake with HD assets and textures? The same story with changed systems and a bigger world, but otherwise unchanged? I know the most iconic scenes should stay, but for some reason people focus on gay bathing tub and rub-rub-rub scenes, while I wonder what the whole City of the Ancients sequence will look like, for example. I know I don't really want all the Extended Universe rubbish to be tacked on, but it seems inevitable, what with South Edge being one of the first things you see in the teaser video. I mean, I can play the original version already, so simply touching up the graphics would be of no consequence - to me, at least.

Is there anything comparable to this project? FF IV DS version, maybe? That was changed a fair bit.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 17, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

I know I don't really want all the Extended Universe rubbish to be tacked on, but it seems inevitable, what with South Edge being one of the first things you see in the teaser video.

Gackt has now legally barred SE from using his image, so God willing, everything involving Genesis and Deepground is gone forever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Psh. Just find an excuse to put him in a mask.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

Gackt has now legally barred SE from using his image, so God willing, everything involving Genesis and Deepground is gone forever.

Wait, is that seriously the reason why the sequel hooks in Dirge of Cerberus/Crisis Core were dropped forever? (That and Dirge maybe not doing so well.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Bully for you, then, because when/if this comes out that's exactly what it's going to be. PSX-era RPG's aren't compatible with AAA game design today. If this were a "remake" in the style of, I dunno, Bravely Default, there might be a chance of a 1:1 remake, but if it's anything like that teaser? Hidden characters like Yuffie and Vincent haven't been in big-name RPG's in a decade. We got an entire spinoff title from an optional, easily-missable sequence in the original FF7 whose only clue to its location was an even more easily missable and forgettable bit of flavor text. SE couldn't afford to pull a stunt like that today.

My guess is it'll be far more linear and, given Nomura, considerably more melodramatic, with the major plotpoints from the original game signposted every so often amidst a bunch of references and callbacks.

I'm not sure what I expect from the FFVII remake, to be honest.

While I can see your point about going for a more linear structure, I think Square-Enix has seen quite a bit of backlash against linearity lately, leading to the pretty nonlinear FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns; plus, FFXIV is pretty much just a massively multiplayer nostalgia trip, so I wouldn't be surprised if they really just want to lean into nostalgia.

My bet is on a middle ground. I think we can expect an "updated" battle system and a different tone to the story (to go with what will inevitably be vaguely embarrassing voice acting), but I actually think they might leave some of the original nonlinearity intact just for the sake of nostalgia. Maybe Yuffie and Vincent won't still be optional characters--if nothing else, it'd be a lot harder to include them in voice acted, tightly-choreographed cutscenes if they're optional--but I bet we'll still get the wacky minigames and abundance of sidequests all throughout. Otherwise, they risk offending nostalgic players, and if Square's remaking FFVII to begin with, that's probably not their goal.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's odd that he says he wants the game out so that people will buy PS4's before their next load of games are out. It almost sounds like they're planning to have it out before FFXV, KH3 and their other JRPG heavy hitters (such as I don't loving know).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

It's odd that he says he wants the game out so that people will buy PS4's before their next load of games are out. It almost sounds like they're planning to have it out before FFXV, KH3 and their other JRPG heavy hitters (such as I don't loving know).

Hope springs eternal. I guess we'll find out if they have anything more substantial in August.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I can believe it'll be out before KH3, but not before FFXV, given that they've actually had a playable version of FFXV available and we haven't even seen screenshots of FFVII remake gameplay yet.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

Is there anything comparable to this project? FF IV DS version, maybe? That was changed a fair bit.

I don't think people care about FF4 enough for it to be comparable. Of course, it's possible that people don't really care about 7 that much beyond general nostalgia either....

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OddObserver posted:

I don't think people care about FF4 enough for it to be comparable. Of course, it's possible that people don't really care about 7 that much beyond general nostalgia either....

Unless it's changed recently, I think FF4 is still the favorite in Japan among nostalgic FF fans. In the West, though, FF7 is a way bigger deal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure what I expect from the FFVII remake, to be honest.

While I can see your point about going for a more linear structure, I think Square-Enix has seen quite a bit of backlash against linearity lately, leading to the pretty nonlinear FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns; plus, FFXIV is pretty much just a massively multiplayer nostalgia trip, so I wouldn't be surprised if they really just want to lean into nostalgia.

My bet is on a middle ground. I think we can expect an "updated" battle system and a different tone to the story (to go with what will inevitably be vaguely embarrassing voice acting), but I actually think they might leave some of the original nonlinearity intact just for the sake of nostalgia. Maybe Yuffie and Vincent won't still be optional characters--if nothing else, it'd be a lot harder to include them in voice acted, tightly-choreographed cutscenes if they're optional--but I bet we'll still get the wacky minigames and abundance of sidequests all throughout. Otherwise, they risk offending nostalgic players, and if Square's remaking FFVII to begin with, that's probably not their goal.

i don't know how people feel about vincent but Yuffie has a lot of fans I feel like

I actually think it's more likely they figure out a way of making them non-optional, which would suck because i legit like how you recruit Yuffie

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

i don't know how people feel about vincent but Yuffie has a lot of fans I feel like

I actually think it's more likely they figure out a way of making them non-optional, which would suck because i legit like how you recruit Yuffie

I'm almost completely sure they'll become non-optional, if only because the Compilation says they're canon. Hell, they might even be more core to the story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm almost completely sure they'll become non-optional, if only because the Compilation says they're canon. Hell, they might even be more core to the story.

Yuffie was already fairly well-integrated into the original cast. Vincent less so, but that's because he's a douche bag.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only thing they might change would be having Vincent and Yuffie's recruitment quests be hinted at more heavily instead of being obscure.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

OddObserver posted:

I think a fair number of people do care about FF4, but FFIV DS isn't really all that comparable. Yes, it was a substantial remake, but it was on handheld, and FFIV had already been remade and retranslated twice (on PSX and GBA) beforehand. FFIII DS isn't really comparable either. Again, it was on handheld, and both games are just drastically smaller in scope than VII.

VII has been ported to PC, but never remade, and there's never been an HD remake of any of the 90's FF games. Nothing is really comparable to that in terms of scope. The FFX remake, as I understand it, was basically just an upscale of the original, but for VII they'll have to start from the ground up.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

rujasu posted:

The FFX remake, as I understand it, was basically just an upscale of the original, but for VII they'll have to start from the ground up.

Mostly. It does have things like more detailed models and textures and UI and such, so it's better than what you'd get running the original in an emulator but it's still a remaster, like repainting a figurine. The FF7 remake is going to be like making a whole new figurine. One of those $600 ones.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

Square doesn't need saving because FF 14 + mobile makes them tons of money.

I'm curious to see how their MMO division performs over the next year, especially after Heavensward. Their MMO revenue has began to plateau over the last year. It's clear that they're trying to introduce new revenue streams in between major expansions. FFXIV has a cash shop with an increasing amount of microtransactions. FFXI is heading to mobile devices with a final update. Dragon Quest X is targetting more platforms through streaming. Subscription MMOs have a growth ceiling above them due to the shifts in consumer tastes. There just too many F2P options in addition to competition from MOBAs to attract more casual players.

On the other hand, Square-Enix's mobile/PC Browser revenue has skyrocketed over the last year. The amount of revenue generated as almost double that of the previous year. It's also good that most of them are developed in-house.

You often write a ton of words about the industry that seem to be pretty spot on and interesting, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think FF7 HD is going to sell a bajillion copies and move PS4s like crazy.

In the context of Japan, the home console market has virtually collapsed. The older demographics and their tastes are no longer the drivers of success. Most of best selling console games in Japan are multiplayer handheld games targeted at children. Mainstream success is found in appealing to a youthful demographic that doesn't have strong ties to older brands. In Japan, Yo-Kai Watch is now a bigger franchise than either Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Yo-kai Watch 2 sold over 3.2 million copies in Japan with its expansion selling 2.6 million additional copies. In comparison, FFVII's last recorded sales in Japan is about 4 million. No Final Fantasy game has sold over a million copies since FFXIII. In fact, no home console game this generation has sold over a million copies in Japan other than New Super Mario Bros. Wii U and Mario Kart 8.

In the context of worldwide sales, how often has a genre defining game has had a remake that captured the success of the original or just competed well with new entrants in the genre? Demographics and tastes change over time. It becomes hard for a series, even with the remake of a popular game, to maintain its success without appealing to younger demographics. Over the past decade, we've seen how western audiences have shifted their attention away from JRPGs. Even poorly reviewed WRPGs, such as Two Worlds 2, were beating out the sales of JRPGs just because the gameplay and aesthetics better fir their tastes.

The top sales charts I posted back in May reveal how a small number of genres take the lion's share of sales. Shooters and open world games, especially those with multiplayer, dominate retail. In fact, Final Fantasy or any other JRPG brand are no longer among the top selling brands for home consoles in retail. Even Square-Enix has acknowledged that the industry in North America/Europe is centered around a handful of publishers/games and they do not count themselves among this group.

We don't even know whether the remake is slavishly loyal to the original game's design or if it modernizes in the framework of the open world AAA RPG that. If it's the former, how are they going to win over younger audiences or people unfamiliar with FF7 who have grown to like gritty, M-rated non-linear RPGs with sandbox gameplay? If it's the latter, is the game going to have the same enthusiasm if it's a FF7 remake in the framework of an open world game with Ubisoft style checklists? For that matter, can the developer even make the game compete with the expectations mainstream consumers will have of modern big budget RPGs in 2017? I'm sure the remake will be more successful in the West than in Japan but we shouldn't take its success for granted because it will release into a very competitive, quickly evolving market.

I can only think of the Pokemon remakes replicating the success of the older games. However, this is a series that has consistently maintained its popularity with younger audiences with each new entry. It didn't have an underwhelming trilogy or a failed MMORPG that failed to get traction with younger audiences.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I was talking to a friend about FF7 remake, and there's really only one way it'll match the hype for me. I want them to completely retool the battle system to be more in line with Crisis Core/Kingdom Hearts/FF15 where it's a full real time action game with no random battles. I want to be walking across the world that's in scale like the 15 demo and see enemies running around that I could ignore if I wanted. Playing Xenoblade Chronicles made me really want to see stuff like Midgar in a realistic scale, to where if I'm within range on the world map, I can see it towering in the horizon.
Or running across the swamp and seeming the MASSIVE Zolom slithering around.
That would probably take some big changes to make sure the world doesn't seem too sparse.

But if it simply must be turn based, I'd appreciate something like FF10's ability to swap characters on the fly during battle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want Gambits to come back so I can just push the movement stick around to play the game while I eat/jack off/both.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

He said Japan. Japan is a wasteland for console games to sell outside of otaku.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Resident Evil is a great example of a remake of a pre-rendered game from the 90's, and it was still a success in 2014.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Mostly. It does have things like more detailed models and textures and UI and such, so it's better than what you'd get running the original in an emulator but it's still a remaster, like repainting a figurine. The FF7 remake is going to be like making a whole new figurine. One of those $600 ones.

The thing with the FFX remaster that I don't understand is how they messed up the animations, specifically the facial work. The new textures are really nice, and the little touches they put in are appreciated, but it's weird to see a look of apprehension in the original game translate into :geno: in the remaster.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The thing with the FFX remaster that I don't understand is how they messed up the animations, specifically the facial work. The new textures are really nice, and the little touches they put in are appreciated, but it's weird to see a look of apprehension in the original game translate into :geno: in the remaster.

The new faces are hilarious. Tidus looks like he got stung by a bee.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

General Morden posted:

FFXIII is on sale on Steam. Is it worth it for $7.99?

Is the battle system fun and captivating at all, or is it just a big boring slog?

jesus christ no

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

please change thread title to "don't loving buy ff13"

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Should I play Lightning Returns, having not played any of the other XIII games?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Levantine posted:

The new faces are hilarious. Tidus looks like he got stung by a bee.

He looks like he got stung by a bee and also has a bright orange fake guido tan.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

corn in the bible posted:

"don't loving buy ff13"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HvJHVANG2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB6T0MsvAgs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

should i play a good game without having played two awful ones???

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

should i play a good game without having played two awful ones???

On the other hand they are ok and have nice presentations so at the sale prices they are worth buying if one wants to play them.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

wait Lightning Returns is something different, for some reason I thought it was practically the same thing

never mind me, carry on then (I guess?)

On a side note I kind of wish the FF7 remake would embrace the brighter colors and character designs of the original game as opposed to the more recent anime realdoll simulator look that appears to be so popular.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think FFXIII is worth playing at $8

People really like to exaggerate how bad it is

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Help Im Alive posted:

It's not even the money, it's the time you sink playing the stupid boring parts to finally get to the better parts.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Awesome Welles posted:

On a side note I kind of wish the FF7 remake would embrace the brighter colors and character designs of the original game as opposed to the more recent anime realdoll simulator look that appears to be so popular.

Post-Midgar sure, but the Midgar section was predominantly dark metal and mud brown.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pureauthor posted:

It's not even the money, it's the time you sink playing the stupid boring parts to finally get to the better parts.

Nah, they are pretty ok games with pretty significant pacing problems. I think any FF game is worth playing once and at the prices they are now, it's hard not to recommend to someone who is already interested.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

They're sad brain idiots. FFXIII is awesome and I've played it multiple times and paid for it on PS3 and PC. The PC version looks and runs great as well.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Post-Midgar sure, but the Midgar section was predominantly dark metal and mud brown.

Oh yeah, absolutely, I'm just hoping like others are that they don't lose some of the more upbeat side of VII.

Emo :smithcloud: is the worst Cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF13's gameplay is decent once it opens up, but it has some of the most hilariously nonsensical storytelling I have ever seen in a AAA game. FF13-2 is easier overall, but has a more open combat system from the beginning, and marginally better storytelling in that the characters actually have somewhat clear objectives. Never bothered with Lightning Returns.