Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Runic Blade only absorbs spells from your enemies, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Runic Blade only absorbs spells from your enemies, right?

Thank god yes. If Vivi was absorbing his own Firajas instead of nuking dudes that fight would've gone much worse for me

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there a way to change which RW's appear for you without using stamina?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

Man, I've started this game a few days ago, but now I learn that Terra, Locke, and Celes are all unlocked through event dungeons. What the heck, I don't care about Tidus dungeon, I'd want Terra, Locke, and/or Celes.

Though Vivi and Garnet are okay characters. Better than Tidus at least.

Yep. You just missed Locke. Some of them come around again in a rerelease, but you'll have to wait. A lot of players use Aeris's silencing SB to great effect, and I'm annoyed I just missed her.

I think later there will be a way to get them via the 'Special Quest' section of the quest log, but I may be misunderstanding things?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there a way to change which RW's appear for you without using stamina?

No, but there's a 1-stamina dungeon you can do to refresh it. That's pretty painless.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bobulus posted:

Yep. You just missed Locke. Some of them come around again in a rerelease, but you'll have to wait. A lot of players use Aeris's silencing SB to great effect, and I'm annoyed I just missed her.

I think later there will be a way to get them via the 'Special Quest' section of the quest log, but I may be misunderstanding things?

No, but there's a 1-stamina dungeon you can do to refresh it. That's pretty painless.

Which one is one stamina?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fabul Castle in FF4 classic. Just start up the first stage then retreat out of it and the dungeon, your RWs will be refreshed. It's annoying but not too painful.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gonna try and beat the Sinspawn Geneaux/Gui battle today. I've got this party:

Cloud with Fira Strike and Fire Strike
Lenna with Curaga and ???
Tidus with Magic Break and Armor Break
Wakka with Intimidate and ???
Terra with Firaga and Quake

Very likely roaming warrior Spiral Cut Tidus

I'm not sure what to do with the other skills. Should I stack a Cura with Lenna for other heals? Should I give Wakka Power Break or some other Support Skill? I'm taking Quake so I can hit all four parts of Gui more easily, does it work like that? Should I save my Spiral Cuts for Gui or use one on Geneaux too? So many questions.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying this game so far. Whoever said that stuff about the feedback loop and weapons was right. I...spent a lot of gems in the beginning just to get some pixels. :negative:

Unison League also does a similar thing, but I haven't spent money on that yet. (You can customize your player and they give gems out like candy where I'm at.) It's an anime-style game, but that really shouldn't bother people posting in a Final Fantasy thread. :v:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Elite Ammes / Echuilles is annoying me. With no elemental weaknesses, my plain attacks are only doing about 1k damage to Ammes. I can keep it pretty well nailed down between slow and intimidate, but it's taking freaking forever to kill it. My options are to blow all my abilities (and, I guess, use a mythril to refill for Echuilles) or basically auto-attack the thing for five minutes, tanking my score. I can't even do retaliate, because AoEing the group to take out two spawns means that retaliate would hit the third spawn, not the boss.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

James Totes posted:

Can someone give me the code for the Runic Blade friend summon?

I don't want to put effort into Black Waltz.

Mine is QfAd

I have yet to pick one up to try myself though, so if someone wouldn't mind sharing another one.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Elite Ammes / Echuilles is annoying me. With no elemental weaknesses, my plain attacks are only doing about 1k damage to Ammes. I can keep it pretty well nailed down between slow and intimidate, but it's taking freaking forever to kill it. My options are to blow all my abilities (and, I guess, use a mythril to refill for Echuilles) or basically auto-attack the thing for five minutes, tanking my score. I can't even do retaliate, because AoEing the group to take out two spawns means that retaliate would hit the third spawn, not the boss.

A friend summon with Sentinel (Paladin Cecil's first relic SB) makes Ammes and Echuilles trivial. Use Retaliate, use Sentinel, have someone hit the Sinspawn once, watch as the sinscales kill the Sinspawn for you.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Can you link more than one device to the same account in this game?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Oh. Garnet's second materia isn't out yet... And I just fed her one hell of an omelette. :argh: I want those healing attacks, dammit.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Well it's not a waste since Garnet is the best healer.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can you link more than one device to the same account in this game?

Yes. Log in at least once with the same social media service on each device and the game will link them to the same account. Everything is synced with The Cloud as you play, so if the game crashes, you lose your device, etc, you can pick right back up where you left off.

Bobulus posted:

Turns out, I was really, really close to killing Ammes and didn't even know it. Ended up losing one medal for turns and one medal for damage on each of the Ammes and Echuilles fights, but 44/48 is more than enough to get mastery. I lucked out and Garnet leveled up between the two bosses, so I felt free to burn all her heals and her summon on Ammes.

Now to tackle that last fight...

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 17, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Well it's not a waste since Garnet is the best healer.

Speaking of which, what are people putting in as her abilities? Currently I've got Dia and Curaga but I'm thinking of swapping Dia for Phoenix and maybe even honing Phoenix but I'm not sure if that would be a waste of mats or not. I could also go Curaga and 3/5 Curaja but I'm not sure if anything I'll be doing needs that much healing for a while.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Jibo posted:

Speaking of which, what are people putting in as her abilities? Currently I've got Dia and Curaga but I'm thinking of swapping Dia for Phoenix and maybe even honing Phoenix but I'm not sure if that would be a waste of mats or not. I could also go Curaga and 3/5 Curaja but I'm not sure if anything I'll be doing needs that much healing for a while.

Curaga and a honed Kirin right now, and she's my roaming warrior user too to give her 2 offensive actions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Only the last elite and EX level left to go for Tidus's event. The dual bosses is annoying bullshit and I eventually said gently caress it and burned a mithril so I could take out the 2nd one since the adds can and do easily murder people with 1-2 round of even normal attacks. For the last elite level I'll probably just say gently caress it and vit0 them. I'm not going to master the levels anyways because I never bothered with Wakka.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I have no shame. I plan to abuse the hell out of Vit0 as long as I'm able to.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What the hell is vit0

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

What the hell is vit0

Cast protect on enemy, use Vanille's Deprotega soul break, cast protect on enemy again, enemy now has 0 defense and will take 9999 damage from anyone with ~220 or up attack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zurai posted:

Cast protect on enemy, use Vanille's Deprotega soul break, cast protect on enemy again, enemy now has 0 defense and will take 9999 damage from anyone with ~220 or up attack.

If you use deprotectga and then immediately use protect it's possible to get 3 rounds of attacks off before it ends too. On ultima weapon I was able to have cloud double cut/sonic break/double cut before it wore off. Each double cut was 19998 damage and the sonic break was 22-24k or so.

Ultima... he didn't make it. :getin:

King for a day
Sep 23, 2012
Just finished the last elite dungeon for Garnet's event. Except for the last boss this event wasn't nearly as bad as the FFX one, so if you were able to finish that you shouldn't have a problem finishing this one. I couldn't find a Runic Blade RW for Black Waltz so what eventually worked for me was to focus fire Black Waltz, keep magic break on both bosses, and after Black Waltz went down use Vit0 on Sea Lion. If I had more than 4 uses of Magic Break I probably would have been fine without Vit0.

Have the ex levels been released for this event yet or am I just a dumbo and missing something?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Bobulus posted:

Maaan, I even have some 5-star sword that would give Terra a soul break that I got from the random draw or whatever, but I just equip it on Cloud for now because Terra ain't here. Guess I'd have to wait!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I 11-pulled on the Soul Break banner in hopes of something decent for Snow or Cyan (and eventually Sephiroth), and got super excited when the Binding Rod appeared! Except it wasn't the Binding Rod--it was the Hunter's Rod. :argh:

Oh well. At least it was a 5-star magic stick; it was still a big boost over the Light Rod I'd been using.

...And then I tackled the end of the Tidus event and it turns out that one of your characters having a Soul Break with a high chance for paralysis is REALLY loving GOOD. Between that and (generally ineffective) Intimidate spam, I was able to keep a couple of the boss rush bosses locked down. I did end up blowing a couple mythril on the boss rush, more for the skill recharge than anything else.

Now that roaming warriors are a thing, I'm thinking I like having this one more than Vanille's actual weapon.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm trying to decide what my main party should be.

So far, I have locked in:

Cloud (and am blowing every Mythril I have on trying for Hard Edge)
Terra (w/Enhancer)
????? (another physical damage dealer/support)
????? (a red mage-ish character?)
????? (a white mage- currently this is Lenna but open to suggestions)

What should be my best options for these last three slots? I know certain dungeons call for different party options but I want to focus on leveling one party for general content. I started too late to get Sephiroth and Aerith so those aren't available.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

King for a day posted:

Just finished the last elite dungeon for Garnet's event. Except for the last boss this event wasn't nearly as bad as the FFX one, so if you were able to finish that you shouldn't have a problem finishing this one. I couldn't find a Runic Blade RW for Black Waltz so what eventually worked for me was to focus fire Black Waltz, keep magic break on both bosses, and after Black Waltz went down use Vit0 on Sea Lion. If I had more than 4 uses of Magic Break I probably would have been fine without Vit0.

Have the ex levels been released for this event yet or am I just a dumbo and missing something?

Why wouldn't you just vit0 Black Waltz then vit0 the other guy? If you have 3 melee guys with 2-4 uses of double cut you've got an ungodly amount of damage potential.

IllegallySober posted:

I'm trying to decide what my main party should be.

So far, I have locked in:

Cloud (and am blowing every Mythril I have on trying for Hard Edge)
Terra (w/Enhancer)
????? (another physical damage dealer/support)
????? (a red mage-ish character?)
????? (a white mage- currently this is Lenna but open to suggestions)

What should be my best options for these last three slots? I know certain dungeons call for different party options but I want to focus on leveling one party for general content. I started too late to get Sephiroth and Aerith so those aren't available.

Tidus/Kain/Joseph/Cecil for other physical character depending on weapon options.
Tyro unless you really need Lenna's regen for a particular fight.
Rydia works find for a 'red mage' but you can just have another attacker or mage if you're using Tyro.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why wouldn't you just vit0 Black Waltz then vit0 the other guy? If you have 3 melee guys with 2-4 uses of double cut you've got an ungodly amount of damage potential.

I tried that and something went wrong. I cast Protect on BW, then Deprotectga hit both, then I cast Protect on BW again and killed him. Then I tried casting Protect on the Sealion, Deprotected again, and then cast Protect again and it wasn't working. I'm guessing the Sealion was still under the effects of the first Deprotectga which screwed things up.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Schwartzcough posted:

I tried that and something went wrong. I cast Protect on BW, then Deprotectga hit both, then I cast Protect on BW again and killed him. Then I tried casting Protect on the Sealion, Deprotected again, and then cast Protect again and it wasn't working. I'm guessing the Sealion was still under the effects of the first Deprotectga which screwed things up.

This is my plan, but I already thought of that and intend to use Status Reels instead so I can target it. Try that maybe?

King for a day
Sep 23, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's what I tried at first but I put protect on Garnet which was my only source of healing so by the time I got it set up I had taken too much damage. But I think you're right if I had taken someone else who could cast protect doing vit0 on BW would have worked out better.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
I don't have any worthwhile relic SBs to offer, so have a Bard Valor Minuet II: GCUd

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tidus/Kain/Joseph/Cecil for other physical character depending on weapon options.
Tyro unless you really need Lenna's regen for a particular fight.
Rydia works find for a 'red mage' but you can just have another attacker or mage if you're using Tyro.

Looks like Cloud/Terra/Tidus/Kain/Tyro it is for right now then. Thanks!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Looking at the upcoming dungeon stamina requirements, each dungeon needs around 45-60 stam per :( It's going to take a long while to clear them all.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Garnet get. Still waffling over whether to try the EX stage for Tidus' event, even with Trance Fira.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SweetJahasus posted:

This is my plan, but I already thought of that and intend to use Status Reels instead so I can target it. Try that maybe?

Eh, it was easy enough to kill the Sealion alone at that point, even without the Vit0.

Beasteh posted:

Looking at the upcoming dungeon stamina requirements, each dungeon needs around 45-60 stam per :( It's going to take a long while to clear them all.

I'm guessing that's part of the reason Mythril is becoming slightly easier to come by- just to refresh stamina. It'd take forever to go through dungeon updates with no stamina refreshes from stamina shards.

So by the way, if people have stamina to spare, they might want to clear out Dr. Mog's classic dungeon quests before the dungeon update hits. I'm guessing there may be new quests for the new realms, but since new realm quests tend to unlock by beating earlier ones, you may have to clear out all the other ones before the new ones show up. It might save you from having to go through, say, the first stage of FFIX and FFXII a second time to complete the quest later.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Beasteh posted:

First time I've seen a dungeon update since I got the game, I looked over a reddit summary of it all but didn't see any information on Mythril and just wanted to be sure about something. Does every Classic and Elite dungeon grant a Mythril as a First-Time reward, or does Mythril become less common as a reward as new dungeons get pushed out?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

kalensc posted:

First time I've seen a dungeon update since I got the game, I looked over a reddit summary of it all but didn't see any information on Mythril and just wanted to be sure about something. Does every Classic and Elite dungeon grant a Mythril as a First-Time reward, or does Mythril become less common as a reward as new dungeons get pushed out?

Most dungeons do give mythril. Theoretically you could just play through this next set of dungeons with mythril until you go to sleep instead of waste mythril on more 3* rods

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
You'll generally get a mythril from every painting dungeon, Classic and Elite, unless you get a new character instead. I'm sure there are exceptions in both directions, and Memory Crystals may affect things too, but that's a decent rule of thumb.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Mastered Mi'hen EX boss rush without spending a single mithril. This is the fruition of a solid week spent farming levels (cheers festival of gold), orbs for rank 3 abilities and lady luck smiling on my pulls.

Loadout was as follows:

Cloud lv50: Masamune/Genji Helm+/Hyper Wrist | Fira strike r3/Retaliate r4
Tidus lv56: Blitz Sword+/Genji Helm+/Power Belt | Armor break r3/Intimidate r3
Wakka lv56: Rising Sun/Genji Helm+/Hyper Wrist | Magic break r2/Boost r4
Vivi lv53: Oak Staff/Gold Bangle/Angel Wings | Firaga r5/Quake r2
Garnet lv53: Judgment Staff+/Gold Bangle/Angel Wings | Curaga r5/Phoenix r1

Boss 1: Intimidate and spam fire attacks. Nothing hard whatsoever. Full medals.
Boss 2: Kill all but one sinscale, retaliate the boss down. Lost 1 action/2 damage thanks to gravity spam.
Boss 3: AoE to kill all sinscales ASAP, intimidate boss, kill. Straightforward, lost 2 damage medals because he started with spines + blender :cry: If I had to redo this I would spend a sentinel grimoire here.
Boss 4: AoE the tentacles, keep the boss locked down with intimidate. Retaliate him to death. Got full medals here.
Boss 5: AoE until arms/head are gone, magic break head + sentinel grimoire to reduce the thundara damage greatly. Lost 1 medal to actions/damage.

I would probably have taken a honed Ifrit/Cura over Phoenix if I were to go again. Phoenix was nice on bosses 4/5, though.

Valefor owns :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Man that last elite stage in Tidus's event really is outright retarded. Safety Bit isn't what I thought it was either and I'm probably never going to use it, so that was a mithril wasted for a non-master clear. :sigh:

Not going to bother with the EX stage probably because Valefor isn't worth the several mithril I'd have to burn.

• Locked thread